Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I love Bone.

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
Cover%20Poster.40.jpg

It's been 20 fucking years since the first issue of Bone came out, and it was another 13 years until the 55th and final issue was released. But all together they make up one of the most important comics ever made. People talk about Watchmen, about Sandman, whatever, those are cool I guess. But if you ask me what the best example of the medium is? My vote is with fuckin Bone.

But it's not just because Jeff Smith wrote, drew, and published every single issue of this book himself. (Ok, there was a brief window where the book was published by Image, but that was entirely due to the speculator crash in the late 90s). It's because this is one epic motherfucking story that has everything you could possibly ask for.

What the fuck is a Bone?

boneCousins.jpg

Those funny looking lil white cartoony dudes? Those are Bones, and specifically these 3 Bones are the heroes of the story. Fone, Phoney, and Smiley. Three cousins who have been run out of Boneville.

What? Fuck you, this is just some cartoon shit?

But it's not! Well not entirely, the Bones are cartoon yes but in a cool little bit of genre reversal they serve as the everyman (everybone?) for the story. Boneville is never seen, but is often described as being roughly analogous to the real world. The place the Bones find themselves however, is very much a fantastical place.

The Valley
spoiled for size
Spoiler:

Also, here is a link to a huge badass map

Who lives in The Valley?

People! IT'S PEOPLE!

tumblr_lfqbxgS5bn1qcv9zpo1_400.jpg
People like Thorn, who Fone Bone is hopelessly smitten with.

89380-52705-granma-ben_super.jpg
Her super tough Grandma Ben

Lucius_Down.jpg
Gruff old Tavern Owner Lucius

I still dont understand what the fuck this is about

Well any good story has to have some great villains and don't worry we got those too.

bone1.jpg
Like rat creatures!

478919-cover_poster.48_super.jpg
and the mysterious Hooded One

But honestly, I love this thing to pieces and I bet if you give it a shot you will too.

It's funny!

Bone-Stupid-Stupid-Rat-Creatures-Full-Panels.gif

It's scary!

smith_jeff_bone.jpg

It's exciting!

Cover%20Poster.49.jpg

And it can even be touching.

Did I mention the Moby Dick?

Bone3.jpg

Oh and one last thing, but it's a secret
Spoiler:

Balefuego on