As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Yiddish Policemen's [Chat]

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the day the server died :whistle:

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw an article in the paper that was like "Marvel is killing of Spider-Man!"

turns out it was Ultimate Spider-Man

aka who gives a shit

Pony on
  • TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ultimate Spider Man was pretty okay for the most part (though still really unhappy with that version of the Green Goblin and Carnage), and I actually sorta liked Ultimates 1. But yeah, Ultimate X-Men was either passable or just terrible, and Ultimatum is one of the worst things ever printed.

TomeWyrm on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I actually enjoyed at least the first 22 volumes of ultimate spiderman. Basically the last one leads up to ultimatum. Really though Ultimate X-Men was so so bad. So bad. ugh. Awful.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TomeWyrm wrote: »
    Huh. Apparently Marval killed off Peter Parker.

I wonder if he'll stay dead. More importantly, did they kill him off after they saw the Spiderman movies portrayal of him?

It was Ultimate Spider-Man that got offed, not the one from the primary storyline, so I think this might just be producing a general "meh" feeling. The Ultimates line has a bit of a problem with just slaughtering characters wholesale...take a look at Ultimatum if you want to see what I mean.

Nah, this one isn't that cheap. Ultimate Spider-Man has been written exclusively by Bendis for like a decade, so it's more the culmination of an extremely long single story than the summary execution of a bunch of characters for shock value.

I've heard pretty good things about it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    14 hours to one day to 12 hours to one day (again) to 4 hours.

Now it's six.

I think there's an xkcd on this...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    edited June 2011
    I blame today's severe server issues on all the Harry Potter fans in the world simultaneously trying to register with that new fan site thing. Their flooding of their new site is dragging down the rest of the internet!

TomeWyrm on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't give a shit when any superhero dies ever

They're comin' back

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited June 2011
    So uhh...Gabes review of TOR since he is playing it and it isn't speculation from videos or screen shots or hearsay has kind plucked my interest in the game again. Maybe I will be gifted with beta time when I am not busy. If anything it at least sounds interesting.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're not going to permanently kill off Ultimate Spider Man because Ultimate Spider Man single handed launched the Ultimate comics line, it was one of the primary factors in bringing Marvel back into the black before the movies came out, and it's the one thing that was able to kind of branch off of Stan Lee and be something else they could brag about.

Also I really hate being the guy to bitch about the forums, but this has been going on since like January. I mean at some point they need to at least be considering hiring a full time team to run this place and charge a fee to be a member. I'd pay it at this point, happily...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would rather not pay a fee to post on the interbutts

that's silly

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    LA Noire hittin PC with "improved graphics". Gotta be improved. I can think of oXbox games that looked better than Noire.

EDIT
    So uhh...Gabes review of TOR since he is playing it and it isn't speculation from videos or screen shots or hearsay has kind plucked my interest in the game again. Maybe I will be gifted with beta time when I am not busy. If anything it at least sounds interesting.

Link?

I'd pay for a PA Forums account. I bought an SA account. Their whole pay/infraction/jailing system is pretty effective.

Sheep on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watched Battle: Los Angeles for the first time last night.

Really liked it even though I wish the ending had been different

It came across as feeling, I dunno, "real" I guess

Which for a movie about an alien invasion of LA is pretty good

HappylilElf on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I blame today's severe server issues on all the Harry Potter fans in the world simultaneously trying to register with that new fan site thing. Their flooding of their new site is dragging down the rest of the internet!

What's this?

Leitner on
    edited June 2011
    Did something happen in like, the news to increase traffic here or something?

edited June 2011
    Sheep front page of PA. Just click the big Penny Arcade button at the top and scroll down.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I blame Justin Bieber

nexuscrawler on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I have a Kindle in my greasy paws. It is very nice. I like it.

Bogart on
    edited June 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sheep front page of PA. Just click the big Penny Arcade button at the top and scroll down.

Oh. THAT Gabe. K. Thanks.

So I was actually able to get into the current friends and family beta for Star Wars: The Old Republic. It wasn’t too hard since technically I do have a friend over there. The tricky part is that Bioware, like a lot of places thinks of PA as “media” and they don’t want media playing it yet. I explained that we aren’t media, we prefer to think of ourselves as “enthusiasts”. They let me in but I had to pinkie swear that I wouldn’t talk about the game here on the site, or anywhere else for that matter. I’ve been playing it for a little over a month now and last week I asked if I could share some of my impressions with you all. It took some begging but finally they agreed and to their credit they didn’t ask to see what I was going to write first. Honestly they had no idea what I was going to say which must have been a little scary considering this is PA, but lucky for them I actually really like their game. So this isn’t a review or anything even close. What I’m playing is the beta and honestly changing all the time. I just wanted to share some of my impressions.
    First of all, a lot has been made about the new “fourth pillar” of story telling. Is it really all they are making it out to be? In my personal opinion, yes, it really is a big deal and let me tell you why. In the short time I’ve been playing SW:TOR I have already given more thought to my character than I ever did in all the years I played WOW. I’ve had to make hard choices with my Bounty Hunter that have made me honestly think about who he is and what he’s like. At first I intended to play him as a real asshole but some of the moral quagmires these quests put you in just aren’t that black and white. Do I do what gets me the most credits? Do I stay loyal to the person who gave me the job even it means hurting Innocent people? As a result of all this I have a character that is a hard ass bounty hunter who has a soft spot for people in trouble and children. The only thing I could tell you about my WOW character Dudefella is that he was a mage and a hell of a good dancer.
    Of course all MMO’s now are going to have you taking quests but I think the big difference here is that I tend to care more about these quests. I will admit I am not a quest reader when I play an MMO. I click and click until it’s accepted and then read the breakdown on my way out to wherever the wolf bladders are. Playing a class in SW:TOR is like playing a single player Bioware game. People are talking to you and you’re deciding how to respond and making dialog choices. Turning the quests into an interactive experience makes me care a lot more about them. A quest is still a chance to get XP, money and loot but it’s also an opportunity to advance your character towards the dark or light side based on your decisions. In most MMO’s taking quests is what you do so that you can go play. In SW:TOR, taking quests is playing.
    Obviously the setting is a big draw for me but I played the last Star Wars MMO and hated it. So just setting a game in the Star Wars universe isn’t enough for me. With that said I was curious if the Old Republic would be “Star Warsy” enough. I mean, we’re talking about 4000 years before the movies. Would that world look anything like the three films we all love? The reality is that I think it’s almost too much like the movies. It turns out that 4000 years before Jabba, the Hutts were still crime lords surrounded by Twi’lek dancers and had a habit of feeding people to exotic beasts. For the most part everything you expect to see in Star Wars is there and it hasn’t changed much if at all. I guess the idea is that the Star Wars universe has sort of plateaued. I could hazard a guess that the constant battle between the Jedi and the Sith have kept the universe in a perpetual state of either war or re-building...but if I said that I would be a huge nerd.
    Anyway I can understand why they did it from a design stand point. They want people who are fans of Star Wars to feel at home here. The result is that it’s easy to forget that all this is taking place thousands of years before Luke Skywalker kissed his sister.
    I’m hesitant to talk too much about the mechanics since like I said they really are changing all the time. I can say that coming over from WOW, it feels very familiar and I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’ve checked out the basics of most of the classes and they each feel unique. Dropping into cover with the smuggler gives you a whole new action bar similar to popping stealth with a rogue. At level 1 a Jedi Consular can tear a chunk of debris from the earth and hurl it at an enemy. Zapping the shit out of someone with force lightning is just as fun as you think. Firing up into the air with your jet pack and then raining missiles down on enemies does not get old. I will never get tired of slicing a guy in half with my lightsaber and then watching as my character lifts the blade over his head to block a blaster shot from behind without looking.
    I don’t want to drill down into too much little stuff about the game but there is one feature I have to tell you about because I think it is really cool. If someone in your party is off grabbing quests while you’re selling junk at a vendor you would have to wait for them to share the quest with you later in any other game. In SW:TOR you get a little message that someone in your party is taking a quest and do you want to join via holoprojector. The first time I saw this I actually said out loud “Shit yeah I want to join via holoprojector!” and sure enough your character appears there in all his or her shimmering blue glory. You can interact with the NPC right alongside your partner. It’s a little touch but believe me when I tell you the game is full of smart little bits like this.
    I honestly think they are making something unique and fun here. I’ve enjoyed my time in the beta even more than I expected and it just continues to improve. I’m excited to see what the final product ends up looking like and how people respond to some of its ideas.
    -Gabe out

Man fuck.

I really hoped there would be something to talk me out of getting ToR. I even started playing Champions online to confirm my innate bias that MMOs blow. But not even Champions is keeping me from getting hyped over this.

Sheep on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm thinking there's got to be something going on with the backend

I've never had this much issue with the server busy message

I mean I've been able to actually get the forums to load maybe a half dozen times over the last three hours

HappylilElf on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Glad the forums are acting like hammered shit when I want to talk about the post on the main page.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Today has been a pretty good day so far. Leigh got up early, made me birthday pancakes. Then me and a bunch of co-workers went to lunch. Most of management is out of the office and apparently there are plans for tonight. Gonna be a good night.

Thomamelas on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Alternately, some guy in the Space Marine thread just said the Imperial Guard could hand the Ultramarines their power armored asses. So it could also be nerd-rage.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited June 2011
    What's wild is that the server's have gotten progressively worse with each "Hey we're taking them down to fix this issue".

Sheep on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Stupid kids, go back to school so I can use PA's forums.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    What's wild is that the server's have gotten progressively worse with each "Hey we're taking them down to fix this issue".

How dare you dispariage this free forum thats run awfully for 3 months with no official announcement as to issues! You are so unnappreciative.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GOOEY WINS AT HIS JOB

HUAH!

/KARATE MOVE

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited June 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

What's this?

Apparently it's a new website JK Rowling has launched. It'll be the exclusive place to buy electronic copies of the books, as well as read new stuff by her. You have to sign up to read anything, of course, and apparently it's been flooded and just rife with internal server errors since launch.

Here is an article if you want to read some more on it

TomeWyrm on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The real issue with paying for a forum, even if it's like 10$, is that all the posters are the kind of people who pay to post on a forum.

Leitner on
    edited June 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Glad the forums are acting like hammered shit when I want to talk about the post on the main page.

So I'm pretty much guaranteed to get this.

Do MMOs sometimes have family plans? I'd like me and my wife to raid together.

Sheep on
    edited June 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    The real issue with paying for a forum, even if it's like 10$, is that all the posters are the kind of people who pay to post on a forum.

So people with jobs? I could see why that would disqualify half of chat.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

So I'm pretty much guaranteed to get this.

Do MMOs sometimes have family plans? I'd like me and my wife to raid together.

Not that I've ever seen, if they go the monthly fee route they'll probably discount for buying like 6 months in advance.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Goddammit. Gabe is making me more optimistic about ToR.

He does, however, like WoW.

Thanatos on
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Goddammit. Gabe is making me more optimistic about ToR.

He does, however, like WoW.

I hear he also eats corn on the cob, you can safely disregard his opinion!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd pay a sub for this place, but given that there are a lot of students and people who don't work here, I'd also be happy enough with an annual contribution drive. I go to a couple of forums that do the latter and it usually nets enough for another year's costs and tech support. I'm sure there would be enough of us who'd drop 50 or a 100 to make up for those who can't afford to do so

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    yessss

Nerdgasmic on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We're back!

Edit: Damn you, Nerd.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I wanted to say, while the forums were down, that The Ledge sounds really fucking stupid.

Silas Brown on
    edited June 2011
    Forums have returned! All hail our internet masters returning to us.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.