As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Yiddish Policemen's [Chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    It is all of this bullshit that probably ensures I will never play a round of D&D in my life.

Man, don't say that; this is just me bitching about some dorks online, it's nothing to really do with the actual game itself. Bear in mind that I have literally been playing and running D&D for twenty years and have only just now started having these arguments because I've only just recently started reading gaming websites. It's like, if you're having fun bicycling, are you gonna let some d-bags on a bicycle website chase you out of the hobby? Of course not, because whatever's happening on the website is completely incidental to your enjoyment of the actual activity. It's the same here; I like reading gaming discussions sometimes, but when they get gross and toxic I just stop reading the discussions, not stop playing.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fans ruin everything.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Bogart, that is amazing and sad simultaneously.

I don't know what to suggest Sometimes you can draw people out and get them really engaged in the RP side of things, but other people seem to find all that freedom really paralyzing, or they just don't get in the habit of thinking in real-world terms like "what's gonna happen if this bad guy knows we're coming in both entrances"? I've ended up being happy when I can just get a core two or three people who really sink their teeth into the non-combat activity and kind of set the direction for the rest of the party.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I think it's almost certianly a weakness of the group rather than the edition, but very few of them have a strong idea of who their character actually is. Quite often, their character is just a guy who searches dead bodies and chests as quickly as he can because he wants phat loot and he doesn't want to share.

Bogart on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh I know, jacob, but it just seems like a harsh environment in general.

I've dabbled a bit, and my buddy even bought one of those DM starter guides to try and teach himself to DM for a group of friends and I.

Most of the attempts we made to reach out and learn seemed cold and unfriendly. We were treated as an annoyance rather than a potential new player.

I know Pony rants and raves about it all the time, so I don't need to reiterate too much. It's odd than in a sub-culture created and protected by some of the social fringes, you see so much infighting and standoffishness. It's not just D&D, I've tried to get into certain videogames, too. Luckily over my years I've found a rogues gallery of friends that I can cobble together to play games with me. It just seems like D&D is one game that will never happen for us.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think it's almost certianly a weakness of the group rather than the edition, but very few of them have a strong idea of who their character actually is. Quite often, their character is just a guy who searches dead bodies and chests as quickly as he can because he wants phat loot and he doesn't want to share.

:)

Have you tried throwing an old-style cursed sword or something into the mix?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    So bored of my thesis...

Lets swap for a day. I just need to proof-read a chapter.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Time for bed. Picking up car in the AM. Maybe job news in the PM. Not sure if I want it or not :-/ (I want the job, not so sure about the news, I mean)

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    morning dudes

and i mean morning in the lowest sense of the word, as i will inevitably collapse in three hours

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So bored of my thesis...

Cool. How's your Latin? I'm analysing poems today. Oh, and your German needs to be good 'cos I'm using quite heavily a couple of German texts for this section as well.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh... you smarty people and your theses in multiple languages even. You make me feel teh stoopid.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So bored of my thesis...

Cool. How's your Latin? I'm analysing poems today. Oh, and your German needs to be good 'cos I'm using quite heavily a couple of German texts for this section as well.

My latin is only marginally worse than my French. And I have a B in GCSE German. That means I'm fluent!

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Ugh... you smarty people and your theses in multiple languages even. You make me feel teh stoopid.

if it's any consolation the only language i know is japanese and the only thing i remember how to ask is "how is your penis doing today"

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I don't know what to suggest Sometimes you can draw people out and get them really engaged in the RP side of things, but other people seem to find all that freedom really paralyzing, or they just don't get in the habit of thinking in real-world terms like "what's gonna happen if this bad guy knows we're coming in both entrances"? I've ended up being happy when I can just get a core two or three people who really sink their teeth into the non-combat activity and kind of set the direction for the rest of the party.

I have pretty much given up on presenting open-ended encounters. Now I make sure that everything has a couple of obvious routes. If they want to be creative and try something else super, but I hate just sitting around and then eventually telling my players what to do.

You've just got to match the game to the group in the end.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Question [chat].

When you think of Steampunk, what is the first thing that comes to mind?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Question [chat].

A man with a brass gear glued to a cheap reproduction pocketwatch. The man is fat. The man has a beard.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Question [chat].

The valve guy.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So bored of my thesis...

My latin is only marginally worse than my French. And I have a B in GCSE German. That means I'm fluent!

Awesome!

You can write my thesis for me, then.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Question [chat].

top hats and sci fi

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

This is basically what I find happening. Often, though, one guy who has a strong character concept will try and drive things, another guy with a slightly opposed character concept will oppose him ("Just kill the evil prisoner" vs "I won't kill an unarmed man"). Everyone else sits on the fence or says nothing. Instant party paralysis.

I like the cursed sword idea. I might try that next time one of the party starts looting when he should be finishing off the elite brute that's chewing through the strikers.

Another amusing incident last night had the (widely disparaged) wizard lay down an area of effect spell that hit one enemy and two allies (one was dominated at the time). Neither ally needed to be hit, and I don't think the wizard even knew he'd targeted one of them. The party is so used to the wizard doing stuff like this they don't even object any more. I think they just count it as a raising of the difficulty level of combat.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

The valve guy.

Hmmm...

A man with a brass gear glued to a cheap reproduction pocketwatch. The man is fat. The man has a beard.

Great, other than the pocket watch, you both gave almost the same answer. :?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fans ruin everything.

A-yup.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    hell yes just found a documentary on burroughs on netflix. today is already awesome

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shalom!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Found my third flying cockroach in 24 hours this morning.

I move out in a month but this is still disgusting and freaking me out a bit.

What do I do? Call the apartment complex and complain?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Complain, but don't expect anything to be done; in the meanwhile buy yourself some cheap insecticide?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Question [chat].

Oamaru

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ronya wrote: »
    Complain, but don't expect anything to be done; in the meanwhile buy yourself some cheap insecticide?
    Arg. Where do I put it?

I'd never even seen a flying cockroach in my life before today. I don't know how they operate or how they breed or how to get rid of them. I assume it's difficult.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    flying cockroaches?

i am so doing the dishes today

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Palmetto Bugs are what we call them here in FL. (They are actually called American Cockroaches)

Basically they breed just like regular German Roaches, same feeding patterns, same hideouts. The only difference is... they have wings.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Palmetto Bugs are what we call them here in FL. (They are actually called American Cockroaches)

Basically they breed just like regular German Roaches, same feeding patterns, same hideouts. The only difference is... they have wings.

nope cleaning the fuck out of the house today. no sir, i am not capable of dealing with the possibility of the fact that these things exist.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

nope cleaning the fuck out of the house today. no sir, i am not capable of dealing with the possibility of the fact that these things exist.

Fire. And lots of it.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part.

German Roach- 12mm to 15mm long.
    American Roach- 28mm to 43mm long... and they can fly.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part.

German Roach- 12mm to 15mm long.
    American Roach- 28mm to 43mm long... and they can fly.

MOVING BACK IN WITH MY PARENTS BRB

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    motherfuckers are big, indeed.

my girlfriend just about had a heart attack

MikeMan on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would kill myself, mike

we have some ants in the house lately. not nearly as bad more of an annoyance. if it was roaches I'd be sleeping outside.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »

i have a crazy fear of bugs as it is, especially spiders, yet seeing one of those things might actually send me into a schizophrenic frenzy.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Big enough to fight a mouse over a piece of cheese... and win.

Oh and they can run really fast, apparently like 50 body lengths/second which is faster than 3mph. It would be equivalent to a human running 210mph!!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    we found one yesterday afternoon just straight chillin on one of my walls.

i killed it, we moved on. no biggie.

then we get home last night and there's one flyin around right by my fucking door

THEN this morning the gf gets up to shower, turns on the light and there's one in the fucking tub

she screams and runs into the room and i was about ready to kill someone

i am glad i am moving out but at the same time i don't know what to do for the last month here

MikeMan on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Big enough to fight a mouse over a piece of cheese... and win.

Oh and they can run really fast, apparently like 50 body lengths/second which is faster than 3mph. It would be equivalent to a human running 210mph!!

I will now ignore the existance of the cube square law by making cockroaches grow to horse size and use them as super fast mounts.

RMS Oceanic on
This discussion has been closed.