Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Games and Technology: AWESOME POST in "Sonic's 20th: Sonic Generations - CITY ESCAPE IN GLORIOU

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
Local H Jay has reported a post.

Reason:
just fucking, damn. hardcore. TSR is a baller.
Post: Sonic's 20th: Sonic Generations - CITY ESCAPE IN GLORIOUS 2D!
Forum: Games and Technology
Assigned Moderators: apotheos, A duck!, Echo

Posted by: TheSonicRetard
Original Content:
Winky wrote: »
So, TSR.

Would you say that you are the world's foremost Sonic historian?

As in, are there Sonic scholars that trump you in knowledge or are you pretty much top dog?

Don't be humble, I want to know.

We don't really do the top dog thing in the sonic scene. It was like that back in the early 2000's, and it lead to nothing but huge drama wars, so today's scene is much friendlier. There's really no competition, every sort of shares their knowledge freely amongst one another.

That said, if I have to personally believe I'm way, way up there, even on the hardcore sonic sites. Those who have disassembled the Sonic source code pretty much all know the engine inside and out. While I haven't personally seen every single sonic product in person with my own two eyes (for example, I've never been able to find the Sonic the Hedgehog card game advertised in the back of the Sega Sonic 1 strategy guide), you'll be hard pressed to show me something related to Sonic that I don't know about.

Even on big sites like Retro, I'm still way up there. An example - recently, there was a big thread that blew a lot of people's minds regarding sonic 2. Almost nobody knew that ducking in that game has a special purpose that isn't used in any other sonic game. Most only think ducking only lets you scroll the viewing field down, or let you charge up for a spindash. But in Sonic 2, during the chemical plant zone boss, there's a special function that is coded in for that specific battle. When Robotnik dumps the megamack on sonic, if you hold down, it won't hurt you, and instead it'll splash off your spikes, protecting you. A bunch of old time members even admitted they didn't know that... except I'd known about that since I was like 8 years old haha.

Now, if there is one area of sonic I know next to nothing about, it's the comics or Sonic X. I read the first 25 issues of the comic pretty religiously, and then after that I just gave up. They flat out don't interest me. They're not really sonic to me.

But I doubt there is a single magazine article on the development of any of the classic games I have no read, in any language. I really, really like Sonic the Hedgehog.

EDIT: Oh, but that said, in the Sonic scene, I do have two noteworthy distinctions that I am pretty proud of, which gives me a bit more credibility than most. First, I'm a founding member - I've been apart of the Sonic hacking scene since literally the very beginning, the earliest websites back in 1997. You can go to the oldest websites, which are now archived, like Secrets of Sonic Team, and under the theories section, I have the second published theory.

Beyond that, I'm one of the only members in the entire scene who owns a real, legit copy of SegaSonic Arcade. For decades, people scowered the world trying to find a real copy to dump, and recently I came into possession of the real arcade board, and I'm in the process of purchasing the real arcade control panel.

I remember, during the Sonic 4 release, I contacted RubyEclipse about how to publish my name, since I bought all 4 copies. I told him that I wanted to go by my forum name, since it's more widely known, but the word "retard" in my name would probably be frowned upon, so I wanted to go by TSR/Cooljerk. When I contacted him, he began with "I know who you are, we've heard of TheSonicRetard before." Which made my day, since that's the brand manager for the entire Sonic series.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, this screenname has become somewhat toxic. I've had people track down my phone number and call me before, which is extremely aggravating. I'd say, of all my screennames I've had (since the beginning, I've used 3 continuously) that TheSonicRetard is by far the most well known. Today, when I sign up for forums, I usually go by a pseudonym to avoid shit. For a brief period I went to NeoGAF, and when I first joined, every time I'd post I'd be hit with a bunch of private messages asking me if I was THE TheSonicRetard, lol.

Local H Jay on
3DS - 3239-3347-2159
XB1/360 - Local H Jay

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, TSR is posting again? Awesome.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TSR is the hedgehog that will mount the world.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've always liked TSR and his posts.

I always knew dude knew his stuff, but this kind of just takes it to another level.

5 gold rings.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Basically, (PlayStation) Home is Second Life Ultra Light? Most of the cool stuff, none of the creepy blimp on blimp fucking.
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    W.. wait...

Almost nobody knew that ducking in that game has a special purpose that isn't used in any other sonic game. Most only think ducking only lets you scroll the viewing field down, or let you charge up for a spindash. But in Sonic 2, during the chemical plant zone boss, there's a special function that is coded in for that specific battle. When Robotnik dumps the megamack on sonic, if you hold down, it won't hurt you, and instead it'll splash off your spikes, protecting you.

What the FUCK?

steam_sig.png
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Htown wrote: »
    W.. wait...

Almost nobody knew that ducking in that game has a special purpose that isn't used in any other sonic game. Most only think ducking only lets you scroll the viewing field down, or let you charge up for a spindash. But in Sonic 2, during the chemical plant zone boss, there's a special function that is coded in for that specific battle. When Robotnik dumps the megamack on sonic, if you hold down, it won't hurt you, and instead it'll splash off your spikes, protecting you.

What the FUCK?

almost tempted to test that shit out, right fucking now, but I'm pretty dang drunk and dont think I can make it that far in my state.