As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] The Summer Camp Sale! Daily Activities metagame for prizes and games!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All three of them are great. OPINIONS LALALALALALALALALA

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zedar wrote: »
    There has been some discussion of Divinity 2 already:
    Incidentally everyone should buy Dragon Knight Saga now that it's on sale. One of the best RPGs I have played in a long time, with a great quirky sense of humour.

This. Right here. I've dumped about 10 hours into it, easy. Bought it back during the christmas sale I believe. 10 hours is a lot for me, when it comes to these types of RPGs. Its just that good. I really need to get back to it.
    I would say it's worth $20. I got about 40 hours worth of gameplay from Divinity 2, and I haven't even started the expansion content yet (completely burned out by playing those 40 hours over the course of two weeks). Yes you do turn into a dragon, but honestly that's not as exciting as it sounds. By far the best parts of the game are the human parts where you just do your standard rpg stuff.

Maddoc wrote: »
    Honestly, and this is going to sound kind of weird, but I thought Divinity 2 was better prior to getting the ability to change into a dragon.

A lot of emphasis afterward is placed on dragon form stuff later on, and when you change into dragon form the game sort of "phases out" all normal enemies, so you can't just change into a dragon and torch a bunch of bandits that were menacing you or something like that.

It's merely ok. It's a glitchy European-made RPG.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Divinity 2 is okay. There's a reanimated talking skeleton whom you can talk into non-existence by pointing out the logical flaws of a reanimated talking skeleton.

reVerse on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is the camera problem still present in Tomb Raider? I remember having to do tricky maneuvers blind due to the camera being stuck in a cave wall and not looking at my character.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Is the camera problem still present in Tomb Raider? I remember having to do tricky maneuvers blind due to the camera being stuck in a cave wall and not looking at my character.

In guardian of light? the camera is rarely an issue since its a fixed perspective. The other titles have thhe normal view and camera but its never gotten weird or glitched for me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Divinity II demo was entertaining, but the interface seems rather wonky, to the point where I can't imagine dealing with 100+ hours of that dialogue system no matter how entertaining the writing is.

I also wish there was a way to play pre-hat TF2, since I miss the iconic simplicity of the original TF2 gameplay and class system before they larded it up with layer after layer of hats and loots and whatnot.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's now a demo of Homefront available.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is that Universe Sandbox game good? It seems interesting.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    The Divinity II demo was entertaining, but the interface seems rather wonky, to the point where I can't imagine dealing with 100+ hours of that dialogue system no matter how entertaining the writing is.

I also wish there was a way to play pre-hat TF2, since I miss the iconic simplicity of the original TF2 gameplay and class system before they larded it up with layer after layer of hats and loots and whatnot.

I think they've done a good job balancing almost all of the weapons. There are few that seem to be a step above the defaults but they all have downsides. All the new weapons and whatnot are great fun. More options and variety the better.

They look like they'll be some of the only people to do cash shops right. Lets hope it doesn't change.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light is on sale on Gamersgate for stupid cheap. I hear its good. Probaly pick it up.

What are the chances that this is part of the Steam Summer Sale and that it's atleast equally discounted? I really don't feel like signing up for another DD site just for this.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light is on sale on Gamersgate for stupid cheap. I hear its good. Probaly pick it up.

What are the chances that this is part of the Steam Summer Sale and that it's atleast equally discounted? I don't feel like signing up for another DD site just for this.

Normally I'd say chances are pretty good but it did come up relatively recently. But still, good chance I guess.

That said, it's a steamworks game I believe, so you can probably activate it on steam afterwards and be done with it anyway.

Pheace on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know about all the praise on Tomb Raider: GoL.

I got it a while back and it's fine I suppose, but I have no friends who play and no free time even if I did. As a single player game it's kinda boring.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Heyyyyyyy time to get my new steam thread on.

I feel like I'm in a staring match with relic/THQ right now, I want both the DoW 2 expansions more than I want my next breath but I'll be damned if I'm paying £50 for them. It's a matter of what happens first, my will power breaks or they go on sale.

Come on guys... I'll go for 50% off.

Casual on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    There's now a demo of Homefront available.

I stayed away at launch, but last I heard the game was full of hackers (still). Anyone know? I doubt I'll bite, even at the discount.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, Steam, I hope you're happy. You've forced me to start running Ad Block Plus. I didn't want to, because I'd prefer to support the sites I visit (I don't really do a whole lot of random browsing). But the fucktarded huge fullscreen banner is just too much for me.

Thank you to whomever it was that pointed out that ABP allows you to block specific images. Once I learned that the decision was pretty much a done deal.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    I love reading the utter vitriol on the internet over something paid for 5 years ago now being free. Waaaah, my club isn't exclusive anymore. Waaaah, I want a refund. Today is a fun day for the pointing-and-laughing type.

If I'd actually played TF2 more than (literally) two or three times since buying the retail Orange Box on launch day, I might be upset. As it stands, I think TF2's one of the most overrated games I've ever played.

Not the witcher? (that was you, right? not the other oghren guy)

Do you mock me, sir
    emp123 wrote: »
    Theres no games I really want to buy at the moment, but I know by the time the Summer Sale is over Im going to have blown like $20+

I think you forgot a zero

Also I've heard nothing good about Homefront. It's not even on my radar.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Steam sale in 20 minutes? maybe?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Ok, Steam, I hope you're happy. You've forced me to start running Ad Block Plus. I didn't want to, because I'd prefer to support the sites I visit (I don't really do a whole lot of random browsing). But the fucktarded huge fullscreen banner is just too much for me.

Thank you to whomever it was that pointed out that ABP allows you to block specific images. Once I learned that the decision was pretty much a done deal.

how i do dis

edit: Oh wait, you mean for the actual site in a browser. I was hoping it would work with the in-client version.

Triple B on
  • Options
    local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Very excite.

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

there's still the week-end deals going on though

Alegis on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Im confused about the banner. Whats so hard about scrolling down?

Man I hope the sale starts today. I doubt it will but that would just make the best weekend.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alegis wrote: »

Unless they're planning on waiting until Monday, which would totally mess up their "4th of July Finale" thing like last year.

Figgy on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, if the sale really does start today I think I am truly going to have to avoid this thread for a while. If I didn't think it would prove to be a serious inconvenience afterwards, I'd temporarily uninstall Steam for the duration of the sale.

I went and visited a college friend of mine out of state last week and spent too much money during that trip, and now I've resolved to put my next few paychecks in the bank and not spend any money on frivolities (games, movies, clothes I don't need) for at least a couple of months as I am saving to move in to a new place. My resolve is already shaky...I inexplicably almost bought an SNES last night. So if we're ten minutes away from the summer walletpocalypse, this may just be "see you on the other side."

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So for those who took advantage of last year's summer sale...do they stick with the same sale prices all throughout, or is the last day of the sale like, UBER DISCOUNTS FOR ALL? 'Cause, I mean...I don't want to wait another 2 weeks for even awesomer prices. :(

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So for those who took advantage of last year's summer sale...do they stick with the same sale prices all throughout, or is the last day of the sale like, UBER DISCOUNTS FOR ALL? 'Cause, I mean...I don't want to wait another 2 weeks for even awesomer prices. :(

From what I recall sale prices remained constant throughout the sale for the most part. I don't think the rotating "Today's deals" thing really started until the holiday sales last year. But I could be wrong.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Excellent. 6 minutes and counting?

edit: Man if we're just blowing smoke and they're not really starting the sale today, there will be frustration. And then much lulz.

Triple B on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If I remember correctly, it's same sales throught, but every day they have certain games on sale for less.

Edit: beaten

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It depends how they'll do it. Often they discount an entire publisher's library, but every day a few hand picked games get better deals. So, it was worth it to only buy the daily deals that popped up. If what you wanted wasn't discounted further in a daily buy the end, there was plenty of time to grab it.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

edit: Man if we're just blowing smoke and they're not really starting the sale today, there will be frustration. And then much lulz.

Yeah I'm curious as to what makes people so sure it's gonna be today.

Casual on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sooooooooo...

nothing today? Monday, then?

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Casual wrote: »

Yeah I'm curious as to what makes people so sure it's gonna be today.

Same date it started last year.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Star Ruler for $5. No sale.

Monday is such a long ways away.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I was really hoping for some new shit to play over the weekend. Meh.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I did have my doubts they would do something on a Friday. If anything they'll do a week long sale starting on Monday.

P.S. Damn you guys for getting me excited for nothing. :(

Casual on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just because last year the summer sale was 11 days (10 days w/ 1 day of "greatest hits" iirc) doesn't mean that this year it has to be the same...

And yeah, if it's like last year, EVERYTHING goes on sale. DO NOT JUST BUY THINGS AS YOU FIND THEM.

There will also be daily deals with even more insane discounts. BUY FROM HERE WHEN SOMETHING YOU WANT IS A DAILY DEAL.

On the very last day (which will likely bring back select earlier daily deals), BUY EVERYTHING ELSE YOU WANT.

If I had a dollar for everyone who complained about buying game X before it went on uber-discount later in the sale...

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If I had a dollar for everyone who complained about buying game X before it went on uber-discount later in the sale...

Motherfuckers need to do their homework. I come prepared.

I'm assuming these "daily deals" you speak of during the summer sale encompass more than one game? Like, it's bigger than the current daily deals we get, right?

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just because last year the summer sale was 11 days (10 days w/ 1 day of "greatest hits" iirc) doesn't mean that this year it has to be the same...

We're aware of that, hence all the 'maybes' and 'mights' flying around.

Technically, they could just not have one at all, but indie devs hinting toward one kind of cements the idea that one is coming eventually.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yessssss

I've been waiting to catch Star Ruler on sale (even though I want to give them all my moneys). Bought'd.

For those not aware, indie 4X game with cool devs. They at least used to post here. One of them even gave away 5 copies during the Christmas Forums last year. There's a been a shitload of patches, too, so they've been good about supporting it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm not sure if there's some setting I did to do this or TF2 just always behaves like this.

So every time I go to my library I'll see TF2 with an update paused note. I have to launch it to get it to finish the update. then the next time there's an update it'll be the same thing paused at a different percentage that only finished when I launch it.

Why is that the only game that does that?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

We're aware of that, hence all the 'maybes' and 'mights' flying around.

Technically, they could just not have one at all, but indie devs hinting toward one kind of cements the idea that one is coming eventually.
    Alegis wrote: »

Unless they're planning on waiting until Monday, which would totally mess up their "4th of July Finale" thing like last year.

O_o

EDIT: Worst TotP Ever!

Let's see some good deals Steam! There are many games that I have neither the money nor the time to play. Thanks to Steam Sales, I have money, but still no time.

Doctor Detroit on
This discussion has been closed.