As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    If you're not failing occasionally you're not pushing yourself hard enough

Tube on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I get most embarrassed when I put up weight for a 1RM and then fail. Especially at my gym where it's rare to see more than two plates on a bar at one time so when I put on 315+ for a squat or deadlift people pay attention while I attempt it, so I look like an extra sucker when I fail.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you're not failing occasionally you're not pushing yourself hard enough

It depends on what you're doing though.

I'm several months into sheiko now and haven't come close to failing a rep. I mean, the volume is tough but the weights are always about right to get good speed and form right through to the last set.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    I get ashamed when I fail reps. I had my first roll of shame yesterday after not benching for 2 weeks. But then I was like, "at least I'm not injured"

I have a video of me failing a set of sitting overhead presses. I agree, it's incredibly humbling.

I hate it when this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7pAjU1i1tk

Easier way to set this up is to put the weights on the floor, clean them and then sit down.

A duck! on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Same here. I hate benching (or any upperbody lift for that matter) in front of the guys at my gym because they put up well north of 300 for maxes and I'm at 245 on a perfect day

My gym is funny because it is so heavily male, and so heavily 18-35, and so heavily gay, but the gay guys aren't really into putting up big #s, rather doing insane 20 rep sets at like 135 on the bench.

If you live in DC, we go to the same gym.

Gork on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gork wrote: »
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Same here. I hate benching (or any upperbody lift for that matter) in front of the guys at my gym because they put up well north of 300 for maxes and I'm at 245 on a perfect day

My gym is funny because it is so heavily male, and so heavily 18-35, and so heavily gay, but the gay guys aren't really into putting up big #s, rather doing insane 20 rep sets at like 135 on the bench.

If you live in DC, we go to the same gym.

Ha, no, I go to Gold's on Capitol Hill...In Seattle.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I dread the day that I'm going to fail at bench. Thankfully it's the easiest lift for me, but failure will happen eventually.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it awful that my bicep curl (3x5x105lbs) is so close to my shoulder press (3x5x110lbs)?

I feel like I have some pretty random numbers in terms of my lifts. Last sessions' numbers:

Squat: 3x5x195lbs
    Bench: 3x5x170lbs
    Dead: 1x4x305lbs

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    I squat 185
    Bench 175
    Dead 215 (I used to do almost 300 but lowered it after I injured my back and took a break)
    and then I can curl like maybe 50
    I am oddly shaped.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dicking around after a set of deadlifts I decide to play "Can I Lift That?" so I threw on an extra fifty pounds and managed to do an entire set at 275.

Is there a point where you should start using a belt or is it more of whenever you feel you need it kind of thing? And does anyone have any recommendations for gloves?

Borommakot on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Don't use gloves, invest in some chalk instead

ninzorjons on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would, but the school gym doesn't allow chalk and it's hard to argue with (sort of) free gym rules.

Borommakot on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hate these 5:30 am lifting workouts right now. I lose at least 30-40 lbs off of all of my lifts when I work out that early. Hopefully in a few more weeks I can get back to working out in the evening.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Weird as it sounds, before I used chalk I would take paper towels from the gym bathroom and wrap them around the bar for grip

ninzorjons on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    stupid crunchy knee

Wrap it up and go do some squats.

i did that

unfortunately it was actually painful/feeling slightly impinged at the bottom of the squats, which is something I've never felt when squatting before

basically right where the crunchy happened is where that feeling was

the crunchy was right below the kneecap of my right knee, i don't know how it happened, but it was painful. that was yesterday morning. crunch!

i kept the weight light, to 135, because i was like, this is not how a knee should feel or has ever felt...

thoughts? hopefully it just goes away.

(just to note, this is not the knee i hurt my mcl on, this is my "good" knee)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Eating a whole chicken for lunch was a terrible idea. I feel so lethargic and full.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    Borommakot wrote: »
    I would, but the school gym doesn't allow chalk and it's hard to argue with (sort of) free gym rules.

You can use liquid chalk. There's no circumstances in which you should use gloves. They don't help on any level.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    no one notices the chalk ball i have

shit is discreet

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    the gym at JSC apparently supplies chalk. It's pretty cool. I use a chalk ball. Before that I was using liquid chalk to be discrete but that shit is kind of expensive and runs out fast.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Gonna do deadlifts for the first time tonight. Eating a whole chicken for lunch. Get big!

First time this week, month, year, EVER?

ever since turning 18 8-):^:

Cool. Good luck.

I only started doing deadlifts a few years ago and I'm 34.

So I did it today and my lower back is a little sore, my legs a little unsteady. I did 185, but I'm worried about my lower back. Is it supposed to be sore? I watched some videos and tried to mimic the technique but I guess I need to work on shoulders back. Also, going back down is harder than going up. WTF is with that?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you were feeling tension in your lower back when you were doing the deadlift, then you were doing it wrong. But soreness afterwards, I dunno. I haven't felt any myself but after years of calisthenics my lower back muscles feel like there's two iron bars running parallel to my spine.

Hoz on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    If you were feeling tension in your lower back when you were doing the deadlift, then you were doing it wrong. But soreness afterwards, I dunno. I haven't felt any myself but after years of calisthenics my lower back muscles feel like there's two iron bars running parallel to my spine.

Your lower back should be working. There's a difference between discomfort in the muscles and discomfort in the spine itself. The former is a sign that you are doing hard work like you should, the latter is bad. Learn to tell the difference.

big l on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My coach described it to me as "a lower back exercise that is not a lower back exercise". It should be working, but it's not the point of the movement. We get fucking deep with our training discussions round these parts.

Played another full 80 min at rugby today. One of those scrappy, niggly games where there's elbows and fists flying at every breakdown. My face is all bruised and swollen up, neck is tweaked after some fat fuck fell on it and one of my fingers is slightly more crooked than it was beforehand. I feel about 80 years old right now. I don't even know why I play this stupid fucking game sometimes.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My coach described it to me as "a lower back exercise that is not a lower back exercise". It should be working, but it's not the point of the movement. We get fucking deep with our training discussions round these parts.

Played another full 80 min at rugby today. One of those scrappy, niggly games where there's elbows and fists flying at every breakdown. My face is all bruised and swollen up, neck is tweaked after some fat fuck fell on it and one of my fingers is slightly more crooked than it was beforehand. I feel about 80 years old right now. I don't even know why I play this stupid fucking game sometimes.

One of my friends is on a team and is trying to get me to play lock. I don't want to have to run that much and I don't want to get my ass kicked.

big l on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    At the end of the day it's usually a pretty fun game. I'm just getting frustrated with all the little niggling injuries that keep piling up.

And yeah, running more than fifty metres at a time is just a silly idea.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    big l wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »

Your lower back should be working. There's a difference between discomfort in the muscles and discomfort in the spine itself. The former is a sign that you are doing hard work like you should, the latter is bad. Learn to tell the difference.

I feel fine now.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SPEAKING OF VIDEOS.

You guys have been super-helpful re: my form. Might I prevail upon you again? As big l suggested, I've been doing some hinge-movement excercises to get my hips (and thus knees) back on the squats. I think I have it [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2dPsqh7MA]sorted[/vidurl]. If that meets with approval, I'll stack on the weight.

Deadlifts continue to plague me. The last two reps of [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zbNUQxQTXE]this set[/vidurl] seem, perhaps, a bit too stiff-legged (get tired --> stiff-leg!). And I know it's hard to tell from that angle, but at lockout I definitely felt like I was pushing my chest out... Agh.

Gideon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    as far as i can tell the squats look good

from what i can see on the deadlifts it looks like you're moving your ass up before you move the bar

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DL: Start position is way too high. Plus as Shaz says you are shooting up before actually pulling the bar.

Your back isn't well positioned either - you need more arch from the beginning, but before you can even do that you need to seat yourself lower and not shoot up before the pull.

Docken on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Gideon wrote: »
    SPEAKING OF VIDEOS.

You guys have been super-helpful re: my form. Might I prevail upon you again? As big l suggested, I've been doing some hinge-movement excercises to get my hips (and thus knees) back on the squats. I think I have it [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2dPsqh7MA]sorted[/vidurl]. If that meets with approval, I'll stack on the weight.

Deadlifts continue to plague me. The last two reps of [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zbNUQxQTXE]this set[/vidurl] seem, perhaps, a bit too stiff-legged (get tired --> stiff-leg!). And I know it's hard to tell from that angle, but at lockout I definitely felt like I was pushing my chest out... Agh.

I thought the squats looked real good. The knees are still drifting forward a bit but it looks like that's mainly because you're going pretty deep. Nothing wrong there. On the last rep your hips started to come up before your shoulders, leaving you a long way forward. Keep an eye on that as it will probably become more prevalent at a higher weight.

The deads I think need more work. Watch your hips at the start of the pull. You set yourself up and then the first 4 inches of movement are your hips moving up without the bar doing anything. I did this for a while.

I don't believe the answer to that is to start with lower hips. I think it is more to do with a lack of tension through the hamstrings and glutes. At present, your hips are not in the optimum position when you start the pull, so what they're doing is moving upwards to get into that position. You need to change your setup to get them in a good position to start from.

The cues I've been using to tighten up the setup were like this:
    • Shins to the bar and foot position right
    • Lean down slowly to grip, keeping the hamstrings tight, feel a stretch in them and keep that stretch
    • Grip the bar, chin up and eyes up (you do this on squats but need to use it on deads too)
    • Push the hips back, same as squats, push them back so your hamstrings and glutes feel nice and tight
    • Deep breath
    • Lean back to take any bend out of the bar
    • Start the pull, drive through the heels
    • Thrust hips forward

Finding and maintaining that tension in my hamstrings was a big help for me to stop my hips rising early. It also shifted a lot of muscle soreness from my lower back to my glutes and hamstrings, which I'm interpreting as it shifting the focus to those areas, which is good.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Badger has the DL points down spot on I think. It doesn't look like you're positioning yourself in a way that lets you instantly lean back and lift by driving through your heels, it still just looks like you're trying to haul the weight up with your back alone (which is kinda rounded to boot). Also yeah you should be feeling a little stretching in your hamstrings when you are at the bottom of the movement.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ummm so does anyone else here take ZMA

because i started taking it 2 nights ago and umm

today i had the worst nosebleed ever, there was blood everywhere (probably made worse by the fact i take fish oil, but i've been taking that for 2 years with no problems)
    I never get nosebleeds, and the only change I can think of is that I started taking ZMA

I googled, and some say too much zinc could cause nosebleeds...

any thoughts?

ffffff

i got blood on my nice shoes

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Uh, how about you stop taking ZMA?

I don't think it's that effective, but that describes pretty much every single (legal) supplement on the market right now.

The only ones I know about that actually have good studies and proven results are creatine and glutamine.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yeah. i was just not sure if that was the cause, but probably is. i wonder if i can return this shit to amazon. probably not.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So today I was feeling good on squats. Before my last round of work sets (6 sets of 3@235), I decided to try something heavy. Loaded up 275 (with a previous max of 285) and went for it, easy peasy. I then bumped up to 300, felt heavy (duh) but it went up without any grinding. I was so happy I nearly burned out on those work sets because I was hardly resting between sets.

Bench was solid too. I'm going to test my maxes again next week when I'm well-rested but so far that's a gain of 15 lbs. on the squat max after one 4-week Sheiko cycle. So like I said, I'm testing all my maxes next week, then jumping into another Sheiko cycle the week after.

Woot. 8-)

Emruggs on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
This discussion has been closed.