As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    Man, dieting sucks. I've dropped about two pounds this week, but only lost maybe .25 off my stomach. I'm surprised that I've kept up with the strength portion of my training, though. So far I've met the 5 and 3 days for both bench and press, although I dropped deadlift for the month.

Yeah, about to have this problem myself.

Currently 201... thinking about cutting down 5 pounds in conjunction with my standard routine.

Should get me under 10% BF.... hopefully!

Docken on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    was it slider who gave me that advice before

well

it got me past one point on the OHP

now i'm stuck at another point

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    i picked the wrong time to skip a workout - i could really have used the mood lift this weekend. Tuesday, I'm coming for you.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ah, she is a bad day when a flawless squat session can't cheer me up.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Have a wank.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I almost feel bad getting such high quality advice for free

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I guess my brother wants to lift weights with me. Tomorrow I'm going to teach him how to deadlift and basically destroy him. I'm so excited.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I did the same thing with my older brother, and he rarely lifts with me now. He decided deadlifts are bad for your back and ass-to-grass squats are bad for everything.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He sounds silly. My brother thinks he is going to be doing bench press. Ha.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2011
    Right now all I want to do is lift and squat. It's weird. I don't even want to bench. How am I supposed to become Tyrannosaurus Pecs if I don't bench?

Tube on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Neglecting bench for a few hundred million years should about do it.

tyrannosauruspic.jpg

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nice little milestone for independence day. Completed my first full 3x5 of squats above my bodyweight (210lb, I'm sitting at 205). Not a ton of weight, but when I started squatting for the first time back in march/april I was struggling with 130. Feels good. Now to go eat a bunch of meat and watch things explode.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So some of my friends and trainers at the gym have noticed that, whilst I can DL reasonably well, I can no longer do any type of squat with any type of conviction due to my stuffed knee.

So now they're calling me Quadzilla.

I may never be able to go back...

Docken on
  • Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Test day after 4 weeks of Sheiko #29.

Lifts (Previous - New Max in lbs.):

Squat: 285 - 300
    Bench: 205 - 215
    Deadlift: 335 - 365

Last week, the 300 squat felt like I could add a bit more. This week, it was a bit harder, but I attribute that to the revelry of the weekend. I think I could add another 10 lbs. to the bench too, but 215 was great considering I failed it a month ago. Overall, it was a good month of gains. Looking forward to the next cycle starting on Monday.

Emruggs on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hit the gym today, squats weren't no thing but ended up failing my first bench press and got stuck under the bar and had a guy hop over to help me out. Got 5/5/5/4/4 with the last set being spotted by a nice dude who asked if I wanted a spotter.

Now that I'm hitting these road bumps in my OHP and bench, what should I do about them? Try to force my way through them by just hitting the same weight constantly, or go down in weight a bit for a few days then work my way back up?

E: Looking at it I haven't been getting the right form on a few lifts (still need to get farther down on my squat, need to fix the barbell rows, etc.) So I might drop the weight a little bit and bump up the reps to work on my form for this next week, then the following week start making gains again.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wait, why are you doing 5 sets of 5? I thought you were on starting strength like me. I'm only doing 3 sets of 5.

Hoz on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Actually doing the strong lifts program right now.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    I just got done uploading deadlifts from today. I got up to 315# and decided to quit after my hands slipped on the 2nd rep.

-snip-

So jealous; the plates my gym uses put the bar at my ankles if I don't put two 45's underneath them. :\

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Got back to the gym yesterday after having taken a rest week. I was glad to get back in there, there were a few days where I really wanted to go in and blow off some steam. Today I'm nice and sore. Feels good, man

Lost five pounds off my squat in the interim, unfortunately, probably because I wasn't eating enough. Ah well, I'll get it back soon enough!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He is probably using 25s or 35s. My gym seems to have similar plates-- anything under a 45lb plate is much, much shorter than the 45s, and they're very thick.

I have to stack a few plates under them as well to bring them up to 'regulation' height.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So umm, I'm a little unsure with the plan I've started, I'm hearing differing opinions of the number of reps i should be doing. This plan has me doing either 8-8-6-6 or 10-8-4-2-1 , I'm hearing I should probably do something more like 5x5 or something?

Opinions? I'd say I'm moreso looking just for definition in chest/shoulders/biceps than actual hulk strength.

Anyone have a recommendation of a plan to follow for basically a beginning (i used to lift in highschool but haven't done so for many, many years)?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You'll find definition in the fridge as well as the weight room, keep that in mind.

But what plan is it you're doing? I apologize if you posted it somewhere and I didn't see it.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Uhh, it's a thing I got from a book I had laying around. Off the top of my head I can't say which ones are 8-8-6-6 and which are 10-8-4-2-1 but the workouts are:

Monday/Thursday
    Leg Press (probably will switch to squats)
    Leg Extensions
    Lunges
    Bench
    Incline Bench
    Reverse Curls

Tuesday/Friday
    Seated Rows
    Upright Rows
    T-Bar Rows
    Military Press
    Tricep Kickbacks
    Skullcrushers

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Because there's many ways to train, and many of them work, despite differences in programs.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am been following this program pretty religiously since I returned to the gym world. It is pretty squat heavy, so if you have problems with squatting or deadlifting, I would suggest another program.

But it is a nice program for building strength and the psychological effect of slapping on more weight every week is a nice plus. It makes you feel that you are progressing and not just stalling in the gym. I have yet to stall in any of the sections though I am beginning to experience some slight difficulty in bench and OHP.

On another note I went to the gym today and was looking forward to doing some OHP. Since I switched to dumbbells I have a hard time to hit the exact weight amount I need to lift (odd lifts like 37,5kg - 82 lb). As I have to increase my lift according to the program I went with 2 x 20 kg dumbbells (total 40 kg - 88 lb, 45 kg - 99 lb with the bar weight included). No sweat at all :)

Also I met a guy who looked like the dude from the Geico commercials doing deadlifts. Was nice to let me do my squats while he rested. Also suggested that I include the weight of the bar into my total lifting amount which brings my squat total to 62,5 kg - 137 instead of 42,5kg - 93 lb. Means I only have 12 kg - 26 lb left until I can squat my own weight 8-)

Yogo on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I was doing upper and lower sessions during my bulk, since you're generally talking about discrete muscle groups. As long as you take appropriate rest there's not much of an issue. I didn't combine different upper and lower exercises, however (i.e.: didn't combine chest and shoulder, didn't combine squats and DLs). I used to like to focus on one or another, but change is good.

I mean, don't change up as much as Ham, but doing other things every now and then is worthwhile.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ugh. Seriously. Why are there programs out there that combine upper and lower body exercises, specifically, squats and bench press or deadlifts and squats or benchpress and deadlifts?

When I go to the gym, I am usually focused on either squats, deadlifts, or bench press, lower body or upper body. I never do two of those exercises on the same day.

If you're just getting back into the gym, I'd recommend trying DeFranco's Built Like a Badass program.
    Yeah I was a little unsure about it because I've always done the upper/lower split thing in the past, and while there are different ways to do things I DO kind of prefer that way. The program you mention looks pretty interesting although holy crap that's a lot of different things, I'm used to doing the same thing each week.

I think I may start that up though, thanks for the recommendation.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm just so fucking tired after doing squats or deadlifts that it would be extremely detrimental to my health and forward progress if I added another power exercise to my routine.

I don't know how people do it. I mean, I think that if you're doing it right, then you shouldn't have enough energy to squat sets of 300# after you've been deadlifting 315#.

On the day that I deadlift, my lifts for squat are lower thus as to avoid fatigue when reaching the deadlift portion. Then again, I am no where near 300 lb lifts so that may be the reason why I still have energy for it :)

Yogo on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    why am i a failure
    like why could i not even pick up 235 ONCE when i've done it before x5, a few weeks ago, and did 225x5 last week

so i said fuck it and did a set at 205

i dunno maybe i was tired from bench or the weekend and drinking and whatnot but still

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Ugh. Seriously. Why are there programs out there that combine upper and lower body exercises, specifically, squats and bench press or deadlifts and squats or benchpress and deadlifts?

When I go to the gym, I am usually focused on either squats, deadlifts, or bench press, lower body or upper body. I never do two of those exercises on the same day.

If you're just getting back into the gym, I'd recommend trying DeFranco's Built Like a Badass program.
    Yeah I was a little unsure about it because I've always done the upper/lower split thing in the past, and while there are different ways to do things I DO kind of prefer that way. The program you mention looks pretty interesting although holy crap that's a lot of different things, I'm used to doing the same thing each week.

I think I may start that up though, thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome. The "finishers" at the end will kick your ass.

Run a mile as fast as you can at the end of a lower body workout? Wha?
    i have a feeling that'll be the least of my worries since i already run 5 miles 3 or 4 times a week at a fairly fast pace...but yes it should be interesting right after a leg workout, ha

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Okay.

Slider on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Jesus. I'm friggin' starving all the time.

I think that means it's working.

Although - I'm not sure if this is something I can really work against, but I had heart surgery when I was very young. As a result, I'm missing about a third of my left pectoral muscle. It goes up to the scar tissue and then just stops. It's messin' with my bench.

Anyone have experience with similar issues?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fucking shitshow today, I haven't had a day like this in a while. I guess work kicked my ass harder than I thought because I had nothing in the tank tonight, no reps or weight or anything. What a disaster.

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.