As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    hopefully, this will be a result of dragon flags

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Gross. Thanks.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    oh god wtf

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    Simple solution bros: don't squat and bench and for the love of god not deadlift on the same day.

There, see how easy that was?
    But.. but that's the program I'm doing.
    :(

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    You'll be too tired and it will hurt your progress.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    What has you doing them all on the same day? Or do you do something where you squat every day and do either bench OR deadlift depending on the day?

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I have been doing a Push/Pull routine with a heavy day and a medium day.
    Heavy = All lifts are 3x5, where weight is set to where reps (3)4 and 5 take a good amount of willpower to get through, and 3-5 min rests
    Medium = Arbitrary weight that I can do for at least 10 reps but for as many reps as I can do for 2-3 sets.

Monday - Heavy (what I've been working with)
    Back Squat (315)
    Front Squat (255)
    Bench Press (245, but last two weeks 225 cause it felt heavy and working on Form more)
    Weighted Dips (45)
    Shoulder Press (135)
    Random accessory shoulder exercise

Tuesday - Heavy
    Deadlift (335)
    GHR (incorporating them this week/tonight)
    Barbell/Tbar Row or Face pulls (Barbell Row is 205 I think? been a while and don't know what I use for the other two)
    Pronated Pull-ups (35)
    Supinated Pull-ups(Chin-ups) (35)

Thursday - Medium
    Back Squat - (225#. hit 16 reps last night, should of went for 20. CMON DO ITT)
    Front Squat - (155-185#)
    Bench Press - (185#)
    Dips
    Shoulder Press - (95-115#)

Friday - Medium...ish
    Clean - 5x3 (195)
    GHR
    Barbell/Tbar Row or Face Pulls (155?)
    Pronated Pull-ups
    Supinated Pull-ups

Has been working very well since I started it August 1st. I didn't expect it to go past October 1st, but it was working well so I kept with it. Plan on changing it up in about 3 weeks from now.

Buddies on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Heavy = All lifts are 3x5, where weight is set to where reps (3)4 and 5 take a good amount of willpower to get through, and 3-5 min rests
    Medium = Arbitrary weight that I can do for at least 10 reps but for as many reps as I can do for 2-3 sets.

Back Squat (315)
    Front Squat (255)
    Bench Press (245, but last two weeks 225 cause it felt heavy and working on Form more)
    Weighted Dips (45)
    Shoulder Press (135)

Tuesday - Heavy
    Deadlift (335)
    Barbell/Tbar Row or Face pulls (Barbell Row is 205 I think? been a while and don't know what I use for the other two)
    Pronated Pull-ups (35)

Thursday - Medium
    Front Squat - (155-185#)
    Bench Press - (185#)
    Dips

Friday - Medium...ish
    Clean - 5x3 (195)
    GHR
    Pronated Pull-ups
    Supinated Pull-ups

Has been working very well since I started it August 1st. I didn't expect it to go past October 1st, but it was working well so I kept with it. Plan on changing it up in about 3 weeks from now.

If it is working well why change it?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    BEAST! wrote:
    What has you doing them all on the same day? Or do you do something where you squat every day and do either bench OR deadlift depending on the day?
    Modified SS. Squats->Press/Bench->Deads/Chins/Pullups

3 days a week. Got a better idea?

JAEF on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well, it seems to have passed for a bit.

Go go immune system!

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    big l wrote:
    Buddies wrote:

Back Squat (315)
    Front Squat (255)
    Weighted Dips (45)
    Shoulder Press (135)

Tuesday - Heavy
    Deadlift (335)
    Pronated Pull-ups (35)

Thursday - Medium
    Front Squat - (155-185#)
    Bench Press - (185#)
    Dips

Friday - Medium...ish
    Clean - 5x3 (195)
    GHR
    Pronated Pull-ups
    Supinated Pull-ups

If it is working well why change it?

I'll still be doing the majority of those exercises, just not doing everything twice a week. Want to experiment with some cardio, both HIIT and LISS, and work on some gymnastic type skills like planks and levers.

• Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Nothing wrong with squat/bench/dead all on the same day if you're a beginner. That's what programs like SS and SL have you do and it works.

Whooo my SS 3d edition has been shipped and will hopefully be here soon.

edit: As for the push/pull routine, just curious about a few things: why do front squat right after back squat and then bench->dips->press? Seems like you could do get a bit of rest in between doing back squat -> bench -> front squat -> press -> dips; that is, if you're going heavy rather than just trying to train as much volume in as little time possible. Same with going heavy twice in a row and then medium twice in a row. Why not heavy/medium/heavy/medium to get some rest?

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    "Modified SS"

What is SS?

Love me.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    "Modified SS"

What is SS?

Referring to a program based on the contents of the book Starting Strength: http://startingstrength.com/

or http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki for the internet

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote:
    This is probably a really stupid question, but...

Is there something lifting related that could cause me to feel ill? Like... flu-like symptoms? Started about three hours after I left the gym.

Probably not! I once tried a lifting/running schedule that turned out was a little too demanding for me. Twice in the course of about 2 months, about an hour after working out, I'd get really cold (shivering while under a sleeping bag during the summer) and feel very weak/fatigued. It'd only last an hour or so. An hour isn't exactly flu-like, though.

I went with a different schedule and hey, hasn't happened since.

At least your question reminds me to get a flu shot. Thanks!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you're primarily interested in a better body, Starting Strength isn't a good program to follow once you've gotten past the beginner stage. There just isn't enough volume or accessory work.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    [Michael] wrote:
    FroThulhu wrote:
    This is probably a really stupid question, but...

Is there something lifting related that could cause me to feel ill? Like... flu-like symptoms? Started about three hours after I left the gym.

Probably not! I once tried a lifting/running schedule that turned out was a little too demanding for me. Twice in the course of about 2 months, about an hour after working out, I'd get really cold (shivering while under a sleeping bag during the summer) and feel very weak/fatigued. It'd only last an hour or so. An hour isn't exactly flu-like, though.

I went with a different schedule and hey, hasn't happened since.

At least your question reminds me to get a flu shot. Thanks!

Actuallu, this sounds about right. Except about four hours later, after an INCREDIBLE endorphine rush that seemed to last way too long.

Feel much better today

• Options
    If you're primarily interested in a better body, Starting Strength isn't a good program to follow once you've gotten past the beginner stage. There just isn't enough volume or accessory work.

Well, if you're past the beginner stage, you shouldn't be doing SS anymore anyways.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    If anyone's interested in other book / program recommendations, this book / trainer pretty much completely shaped my workout style.

image003.jpg
    T-nation article
    Amazon

His basic tenets are -
    higher weight lower rep sets, and on the days you don't lift heavy lift as fast as you can with good form to generate maximum force
    whole body workouts, no splits
    and almost exclusive focus on compound lifts (i.e. there is no real world equivalent to an arm-curl; the human body was meant to work as a whole. If you want to grow your arms you'd do better with pull-ups and presses than curls and extensions)
    one upper-body pulling, one upper-body pushing and some type of squat or deadlift exercise per workout
    workout three days a week, although there's an advanced one-month program in the book where you workout twice a day three times a week for six whole-body workouts a week.
    The programs are-
    get big
    get strong
    get lean
    get even bigger (advanced)
    get even stronger (highly advanced)

I recommend it.

Love me.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote:
    BEAST! wrote:
    Modified SS. Squats->Press/Bench->Deads/Chins/Pullups

3 days a week. Got a better idea?
    No, ignore them. Keep doing starting strength like that until you can't do linear progression anymore, which generally is about 6 months if you're really strict about getting to the gym every time, and longer if you're not.

So I think I pulled a rib. I was having excrutiating pain yesterday for a few hours. Feels mostly better today. Dunno whether to squat tomorrow or take the day off. It's probably because I've been working on my lifts sans belt. DL'd 400 for 2x5 Tuesday w/o belt, though, which is pretty cool. My form was breaking down bigtime, though, so I'm going to back off and try it again.

Looking for a bit of bench advice. I've been stalling for about 6 weeks now. Took me 2 tries to get 165, 3 to get 170 and I just failed 175 this week. My overhead press is still coming with one or two failures in that period but nowhere near as bad. My current plan is 3x5 (because I *should* still be at a light enough weight to get linear progression pretty well) supplemented with an extra 3-4 sets of barbell bench at lower weight for max reps (generally at 135, or at 115 + bands which is probably about 145-155 at the top and 115 at the bottom, depending what I feel like that day) and a couple of sets with dumbbells for the hell of it at the end of the workout. Last time I tried to do dips regularly it hurt my shoulder so I stopped (I have a bad shoulder from 6 dislocations and 2 surgeries). What else could I try, or should I just keep plugging away at this and suck up the shitty progression?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'll finally be getting my gym membership on Monday, hooray!

In other good news I think I can finally do some cardio again, so I'll go for a celebratory jog today.

Flay on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    So wait, how much water exactly does creatine make you retain? Like, a significant amount? I've always understood it to be a negligible amount, but this guy is trying to tell me it will "bloat me up like a balloon."

• Options
    Candlemass wrote:

Well, if you're past the beginner stage, you shouldn't be doing SS anymore anyways.

By beginner I mean "more than two months"

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Quick question. Has anyone pushed both the normal Elite FTS prowler as well as the econo prowler? Wondering if the difference is worth the money.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Quick question. Has anyone pushed both the normal Elite FTS prowler as well as the econo prowler? Wondering if the difference is worth the money.

I guarantee you it is not.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Candlemass wrote:

By beginner I mean "more than two months"

That would seem odd given that people start differently and don't always make progress correctly. If everybody did the program correctly, at least 2 months or whatever it takes to finish the program would be good, but that's often not the case.

edit: I'd second to stay on SS until your linear progression runs out JAEF. Unless you're a genetic freak it will only take a few months anyways.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote:
    So wait, how much water exactly does creatine make you retain? Like, a significant amount? I've always understood it to be a negligible amount, but this guy is trying to tell me it will "bloat me up like a balloon."

I didn't notice much of a difference with the stuff, it has some benefits but nothing crazy. People told me the same thing and I didn't notice it, have to keep in mind what most of the supplement stuff does is pretty minor.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Tried to make it to 20 minutes of jogging and only got to 17 before I had to sit down and wait for the pavement to stop spinning. Still, 17 minutes isn't terrible considering I haven't done cardio in about three years. I should probably break it up in to intervals next time though.

And then I discovered I'd locked myself out, which was just silly.

• Options
    What do you suggest I move on to? It's been ~4 months and linear gains have sort of stopped.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    psyck0 wrote:
    Looking for a bit of bench advice. I've been stalling for about 6 weeks now. Took me 2 tries to get 165, 3 to get 170 and I just failed 175 this week. My overhead press is still coming with one or two failures in that period but nowhere near as bad. My current plan is 3x5 (because I *should* still be at a light enough weight to get linear progression pretty well) supplemented with an extra 3-4 sets of barbell bench at lower weight for max reps (generally at 135, or at 115 + bands which is probably about 145-155 at the top and 115 at the bottom, depending what I feel like that day) and a couple of sets with dumbbells for the hell of it at the end of the workout. Last time I tried to do dips regularly it hurt my shoulder so I stopped (I have a bad shoulder from 6 dislocations and 2 surgeries). What else could I try, or should I just keep plugging away at this and suck up the shitty progression?

If you're stalling that low I would first look at form and recruitment. With form, specifically the tuck you get on your arms as.you lower the weight. With recruitment, I know for a long time my chest really wasn't doing much of the work, even with good form I was pushing with my triceps a lot.

If you one of those issues then sticking with that weight really isn't going to get you far. If you just need to get stronger I'd suggest increasing the weight and lowering the reps. That got me past a few sticking points.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    A duck! wrote:
    psyck0 wrote:

If you're stalling that low I would first look at form and recruitment. With form, specifically the tuck you get on your arms as.you lower the weight. With recruitment, I know for a long time my chest really wasn't doing much of the work, even with good form I was pushing with my triceps a lot.

If you one of those issues then sticking with that weight really isn't going to get you far. If you just need to get stronger I'd suggest increasing the weight and lowering the reps. That got me past a few sticking points.
    Thanks duck. I am pretty sure my form is good, but I'll try to get a vid for you guys as soon as I recover from this pulled rib.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Past the beginner program for stuff like SS and 5x5 what would be a good program that you all would suggest? I'm thinking about putting in a lot of dumbbell work along with pushups/pullups/ab work with the 3 main lifts each day.

• Options
    JAEF wrote:
    What do you suggest I move on to? It's been ~4 months and linear gains have sort of stopped.

Same thing with less rest, more volume and some accessory work.

• Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    So it looks like I'm lifting at my brother's gym next Saturday. Starting up another cycle of Juggernaut this week, then traveling and squatting with Sam Byrd at the gym next Saturday.

That probably won't be intimidating at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    fuck! i'm sick! curses

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Whoooo got the new edition of SS in the mail...now to go off and do my homework instead.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    psyck0 wrote:

I hit a bench wall and switched to DB bench for a month and a half and really focused on that and then when I went back to barbell I just shot up. I'm not saying that's necessarily what you should do but if you're banging your head against a wall then maybe just switch it up for a while?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That's a good suggestion, too. After doing DBs and really working on chest compression I'm doing a lot better in sets. I really have to work on the decline portion of heavy weights, though. I'm losing weights I should be able to bench.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Last squat session of any proper weight before comp day was yesterday. 3 x 2 x 75% and then 2 x 1 x 80% just to practice the calls. Weight felt really good, I think I'm cutting the depth well and nice speed. Peaking nicely.

Because I wanted to play with the youtube editor, a video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6kK7bsmwk

• Options
    edited November 2011
    What in the world is chest compression? Also, what rep range should I be shooting for with dumbbells?

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.