As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I treated them like heavy barbell sets and did sets of five, started light, and linearly progressed along to as high DBs as I could get to. It's not quite as gentle a curve as barbell because you have to go up ten pounds each increment instead of five, but I was surprised by how quickly I could go up and how much carryover there was to barbell when I went back to it.

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Eating used to be fun but it's become a bit of a chore lately. 110 lbs in bench a few days ago!

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Rep range...huh...

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    gonna be home from tues-sunday for thanksgiving stuff

wont have a gym to go to i thiiiink? unless my parents can get me into the fitness center thing they go to, but that's just a fitness center in a hotel, no squat racks and no deadlifting yadda yadda

thoughts on things to do this week?

poo
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Do some cardio.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    work on some pushups and pullups if you have access to something to pull on. You can try decline pushups and other variations if normal ones are too easy. Do some sprints or distance work. Play skyrim and enjoy yourself.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nah i've played 48 hours of skyrim since it came out

i need a break

poo
  • Options
    I tried OHP with a thumbless grip today after reading that a lot of guys prefer it and I think I do too. It really does feel better and no less stable.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i paid my utility bill on 11/10/11 in full. i check my mail and find a delinquent payment, it wasn't due until the 14th of november. delinquent was of the 15th - 18th, which if payment was not received by then, disconnect on the 21st.

gonna have to have a talk with those folks down at the utility office cause i paid that shit early.

if i lose water and electricity tomorrow, don't despair everybody, please keep lifting. do it for me!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    uh good luck not getting your power turned off!

also that tweak in my shoulder from that bad form deadlift is still there

thats annoying

poo
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    I tried OHP with a thumbless grip today after reading that a lot of guys prefer it and I think I do too. It really does feel better and no less stable.

Did your OHP feel bad before? It would have to feel a whole lot better for me to risk putting 145 lbs. directly above my head with a thumbless grip.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Sheesh. So because of this stress fracture in my tibia thing I haven't been leg lifting or running like I used to (I run a fair amount, 25-50 miles a week).

In the last 4 weeks I have managed to gain 7 pounds when the highest I'd been since probably May was 172 (basically everytime I weighed myself it was 170-172, for months upon months). I wonder just how much of that is water weight. I will assume the majority is extremely fast muscle mass in my arms and chest. Raaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Yes, you must have gained 7 pounds of lean muscle mass.

Super jelly!

• Options
    There's clearly no other explanation! In a few weeks I'm gonna have to walk through doors sideways so my massive muscles can fit through.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    yeah so that lateral lower leg pain i had, that drove me to the PT, that came back
    a combo of walking around yesterday and attempting squatting
    it came back during my warmup sets so i stopped because i didn't want to make it worse and then i got sad

i hope i don't have to go back to the PT, that is getting expensive with my copay, but i may need to...?

i wonder if maybe it's some kind of a fracture of the fibula or tibia

hmm
    this sucks i hate everything blah blah etc etc i want to go back in time to pre-injury me etc etc when i could squat and do anything without any pain blah blah

poo
  • Options
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Peen wrote:

Did your OHP feel bad before? It would have to feel a whole lot better for me to risk putting 145 lbs. directly above my head with a thumbless grip.

It didn't feel bad before, thumbless just feels better. If I ever get a hint of wobble or instability then I'll stop but for now I think I'll keep using it. If you'd worry that much about then maybe you should work on your grip strength? Or not being a tiny baby?

• Options
    Wait, maybe I don't understand what you mean by "thumbless." Wouldn't your wrists be bent pretty far back?

• Options
    This picture is tiny but my thumbless is like the one on the left:

insiderspic3.jpg

And I don't find that it bends my wrist particularly far back. The bar's resting on the base of my hand, lined up with my forearm, not out in my palm bending my wrist back.

• Options
    I tried thumbless today, it was okay

poo
  • Options
    guess who still got power and water

this guy!

utilities said it was an error and they apologized. i said thanks and went back to sleep

• Options
    Way to stick it to the man DL.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Supposed to squat 320 for 3x5 today. Not feeling like the beast that can crush that workout. My friends are terrible motivators. Can you guys yell at me a little bit and make me want go into the Gym this evening, slap 320 on that bar and smash out 5 reps?

A couple weeks ago I was all like "Fuck yea! doing 315 today. Might even put a banana on that bar!" Now I'm all like "Maybe I'll just do 275 tonight, I don't feel like breathing hard."

Videos, stories, pro-verbs all welcome. Pump me up.

Buddies on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I don't know if I've been sleeping wrong or what, but man the muscles of my left shoulder and upper arm HURT. They've been kinda sore for the last month or so but I lifted big yesterday this morning the soreness was there. My right side feels fine.

I went to a doc a few months ago and everything cardio wise checks out so I'm pretty sure I don't have a heart attack to worry about. I wonder wtf I'm doing while I sleep to fuck my left arm up so much.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    @Buddies wtf is a banana

also - bench press 5rm @ 225 today woohoo

(they were ugly as shit but i got them)

• Options
    @Buddies wtf is a banana

Tube or Big L made a post a few months ago describing his Gym through a fake conversation that he would have with a [hypothetical] girlfriend who was asking him questions about what people were doing in his Gym. I thought it was pretty funny and quite a few of it stuck with me.

"Why is that guy putting a banana on the bar?" and "Why is that guy screaming 'TAKE IT TO THE BRIDGE!'?"

He later explained that a Banana [peel] is the lowest amount of incremental weight you could add to the bar. Exclaiming something like "You Squat 400 last week but cant nail 402 this week? Squat 400 and a banana"

So now when I hit a benchmark weight with ease (like 3 plate squats for 5 reps) I get excited and tell everyone in the gym to add a banana to it. Thanks Tube or Big L!

• Options
    oh okay

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Plateauing? Just put a banana on it.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    @Buddies wtf is a banana

Tube or Big L made a post a few months ago describing his Gym through a fake conversation that he would have with a [hypothetical] girlfriend who was asking him questions about what people were doing in his Gym. I thought it was pretty funny and quite a few of it stuck with me.

"Why is that guy putting a banana on the bar?" and "Why is that guy screaming 'TAKE IT TO THE BRIDGE!'?"

He later explained that a Banana [peel] is the lowest amount of incremental weight you could add to the bar. Exclaiming something like "You Squat 400 last week but cant nail 402 this week? Squat 400 and a banana"

So now when I hit a benchmark weight with ease (like 3 plate squats for 5 reps) I get excited and tell everyone in the gym to add a banana to it. Thanks Tube or Big L!

That was definitely Tube, not me. My conversations with hypothetical girlfriends about what to do with bananas turn out different.

• Options
    big l wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    @Buddies wtf is a banana

That was definitely Tube, not me. My conversations with hypothetical girlfriends about what to do with bananas turn out different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ZhEjB_KvU

• Options
    cool, fitocracy has graphs now:

Ha024.png

poo
  • Options
    my poor slow progress is visualized!

i went on vacation for 2+ weeks and was badly jet lagged after + got injured in august, hence that big drop...

poo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oh, that's handy. I might join now.

Nah.

Someday though.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Also I learned today that hell hath no fury like a 16 year old cambodian with your program and a stopwatch.

• Options
    Fitocracy's pretty ok for tracking your workouts. I track my big lifts separately too but it's cool to get the "points" and it's cool to see what everyone else is doing. I'm coming for you @BEAST!, you're the only thing between me and a top 3 spot on the leaderboard.

• Options
    Facing 320 on the bar in 30 minutes. I am still not pumped to do this. Time for some Youtube.

• Options
    Peen wrote:
    Fitocracy's pretty ok for tracking your workouts. I track my big lifts separately too but it's cool to get the "points" and it's cool to see what everyone else is doing. I'm coming for you @BEAST!, you're the only thing between me and a top 3 spot on the leaderboard.
    yeah, top two is basically impossible at this point....those jerks :(

good luck, in a few weeks I'll be running again which seems to put up some pretty big numbers for me!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Facing 320 on the bar in 30 minutes. I am still not pumped to do this. Time for some Youtube.

Don't end up in one of the "fail" videos

Love me.
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    In the middle of my set of good-mornings, one of the gym staff comes up to me with the pussy pad all up in my grill and asks if I "ever considered using this?" I was literally in the middle of a rep. Concentration = shattered.

At least she called it "free-stylin' it" with just the barbell. So, semi-props.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote:
    Peen wrote:
    yeah, top two is basically impossible at this point....those jerks :(

good luck, in a few weeks I'll be running again which seems to put up some pretty big numbers for me!

Ugh, they do. I'm going to have to start doing some cardio or yoga or something to keep up.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Ninzors I do not understand how you do goodmornings without a pad on the bar. It either murders my shoulders to keep it on my back and off my neck or it's on the base of my neck and kills my neck. I have squatted 430 without a pad but GMs at 205 are brutal. Do you not go to parallel?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.