As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    I always do GMs just going low enough to feel a good stretch in the hams and glutes. Although I've never gone particularly heavy on them so I dunno how relevant this anecdote is.

steam_sig.png
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Whoops, wrong thread.

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Amazingly, after months of not lifting I still feel pain in my left shoulder.

Hopefully, I won't be another client for rotator cuff surgery.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Facing 320 on the bar in 30 minutes. I am still not pumped to do this. Time for some Youtube.

Don't end up in one of the "fail" videos

crushed them. RAWR

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Slider wrote:
    Amazingly, after months of not lifting I still feel pain in my left shoulder.

Hopefully, I won't be another client for rotator cuff surgery.

Maybe you'll be a client for GOING TO THE FUCKING DOCTOR

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    something gives me a feeling that that won't happen

poo
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    But how will he get his woe is me fix?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Got a night free from the baby and my wife's going to the gym with me, who thinks I can actually get her over to lift with me some?

Peen wrote:
    Got a night free from the baby and my wife's going to the gym with me, who thinks I can actually get her over to lift with me some?

"Hey babe, come spot me real quick."
    "Wanna do some deadlifts with me?"

You've got a babysitter, and you're wife is comming to the Gym with you. Sounds like she wants to spend time with you regardless of what you are doing, so I'd say your chances are pretty good.

You'd think so, right? But she mostly does cardio and then she does machines and I've tried to tell her that the machines are bologna compared to free weights but she's intimidated by the manly men in that section and feels like everyone will be judging her. Wish me luck!

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    that lateral leg pain is coming back bad, i may need to go back to PT

the dude made that pain go away and stay away fine for a few weeks and then it came back ffff

poo
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Facing 320 on the bar in 30 minutes. I am still not pumped to do this. Time for some Youtube.

crushed them. RAWR

325# next week then. You know what to do.

big l wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Buddies wrote:

crushed them. RAWR

325# next week then. You know what to do.

EAT EAT EAT

And with Thanksgiving on Thursday, I think I will be looking forward to that 325# Bar on Monday.

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    You'd think so, right? But she mostly does cardio and then she does machines and I've tried to tell her that the machines are bologna compared to free weights but she's intimidated by the manly men in that section and feels like everyone will be judging her. Wish me luck!

This is tough to do. My girlfriend goes with me every night and does the big three lifts with me before hitting the treadmill. The biggest thing that helped, I think, was a moment where I said that she'd seriously notice the difference in basic stuff like opening the car door. Then, after just a couple of weeks of lifting and finally seeing that difference she has been hooked.

Don't get me wrong, she still hates it sometimes, but now that she gets it she's good to go. She also just hit 135# 3x5 on squats and 145 on deads! So proud.

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    I've been told that if I want to improve my powercleans I need to do more squats. Painful thing to hear :(

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    there's nothing that doing more squats can't improve

powercleans, world hunger, whatever

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    I hate squat fans because they are always right.

The only reason I ever do any exercise is because I want to be better at them cleans. Did my best rep ever of 85kg on Monday :D. Milestones feel so fucking good.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Shoulder is feeling much better today. Lifted great yesterday. Feeling pumped! I'm still loving being able to lift at home. Wooo!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I had a great workout today. Just great. I fucking love back day. It's my favorite day.

Also fitocracy needs to stop undervaluing my damn DB rows. They are more impressive than barbell rows dammit, stupid arbitrary points values.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    hadoken wrote:
    I hate squat fans because they are always right.

The only reason I ever do any exercise is because I want to be better at them cleans. Did my best rep ever of 85kg on Monday :D. Milestones feel so fucking good.

Where do you train?

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Fitocracy needs options for medball throws, plyos, jumps, sprints... I have scoring tables used for assigning arbitrary values to distances and times, it wouldn't be that hard to implement...

I actually just really want to level up quicker

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Someone should throw me a fitocracy invite so I can see what all the fuss is about pwn you noobs.

Also this new graphic in the quickpost box is nice and all but it means I can't actually select text in the box on the right side by clicking, I have to click on the left and scroll over, because the goddamn graphic blocks the textbox.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    PM me your email and I'll invite ya

Gonna get that bloat tomorrow, then squatting on saturday and finally getting my powerclean of 205#. That weight has taunted me for too long, and I will make it my bitch this weekend, in the company of a real gym and even a guy who squats more than 4 times my bodyweight. It will be a glorious day.

steam_sig.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    psyck0 wrote:
    Ninzors I do not understand how you do goodmornings without a pad on the bar. It either murders my shoulders to keep it on my back and off my neck or it's on the base of my neck and kills my neck. I have squatted 430 without a pad but GMs at 205 are brutal. Do you not go to parallel?

I never use the pad for GMs, just because I don't like the way the bar moves with it on. I set them up like a low bar squat and make sure I'm pulling the bar in tight. Otherwise it'll roll around on you. I still get a bunch of marks on my back when I do them.

Zerchers? Use the pad unless you enjoy pain.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I don't think I go all the way to parallel, I usually stop once I feel the arch in my back about to give out.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Craaap, it looks like I'll need to postpone getting a gym membership for a bit longer. Even now that I have a job, I can't really justify spending almost a thousand dollars on a 12 month membership. I would buy my own equipment, but I'm barred from having a squat rack/cage in the house. The only option I really have is to get a membership at the university gym (which is half the price) once the next semester starts and I'm frequently commuting there once again (to offset travel costs). If I'm lucky I may be able to start there before the break's end once I know what my work schedule is like.

Flay on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Day one of competition out of the way. Spent the day doing the timing for the first 4 lots of lifters. Couple of nice lifts, one bloke put up 180kg in the squat and 190kg in the dead at 58.3kg. A couple of 300kg+ squats.

So pumped to get on the platform tomorrow. Also, that I will get a free t-shirt.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Any recommendations for fixing deadlifting form? Main issue is my back and I seem to primarily be lifting with that and getting it bent a bit (bad posture etc.) instead of my legs.

I also have been getting this pain in my right arm around the elbow region. Started showing up from throwing the pigskin around during games, but it showed up during my bench pressing today and I managed to work through it, but nonetheless; should I wait for now and see where it goes or possibly see the doctor about it?

Ice it and stay off of it for about a week.

As far as the deads are concerned, lower the weight and focus on your form. Typically, when you get fatigued or increase the weight too quickly, you will start to notice it affecting your form.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    When DLing, try to pull yourself backwards (as to drag the bar against your legs) as you lift the bar. That ought to relieve stress on the back, though I'm sure it'll introduce new pain as the bar scrapes your leg up. :)

Better grab some knee-highs.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    So yesterday I felt like I was benching much better when I didn't deliberately try to press to my sternum. Basically, it seems like I let the bar wander too far away from my nipples, and by the time I'm in the bottom position, I'm pressing at an awkward extended angle instead of straight up. Tried a few sets pressing to somewhere just below nipple area, and they went up much easier than normal.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hamurabi wrote:
    So yesterday I felt like I was benching much better when I didn't deliberately try to press to my sternum. Basically, it seems like I let the bar wander too far away from my nipples, and by the time I'm in the bottom position, I'm pressing at an awkward extended angle instead of straight up. Tried a few sets pressing to somewhere just below nipple area, and they went up much easier than normal.
    Yeah on recommendation to fix my elbow angle at the bottom I found the best way to do that was to take the bar to my chest just below my pecs instead of on the nip. Feels way better.

JAEF on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The way to think of it is to try to keep your forearm completely perpendicular with the floor. For most people this is probably right below the pec, but everyone has slightly different measurements.

Oghulk wrote:
    I also have been getting this pain in my right arm around the elbow region. Started showing up from throwing the pigskin around during games, but it showed up during my bench pressing today and I managed to work through it, but nonetheless; should I wait for now and see where it goes or possibly see the doctor about it?

When you say pain are you talking soreness or sharp tweaks? I've been dealing with on and off elbow pain on both sides and I sorted it out with a. making sure my form is completely dialed in, I had a few specific things that were aggravating them and b. I got a pair of cheap mueller sleeves and that's helped out in the same way that knee sleeves do.

I played the cello in high school and college and I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with my elbows now, cello's actually a pretty elbow heavy instrument. I don't think it broke them or anything but I wonder if that's why they're a little more sensitive than I'd expect.

Peen wrote:
    Oghulk wrote:

When you say pain are you talking soreness or sharp tweaks? I've been dealing with on and off elbow pain on both sides and I sorted it out with a. making sure my form is completely dialed in, I had a few specific things that were aggravating them and b. I got a pair of cheap mueller sleeves and that's helped out in the same way that knee sleeves do.

I played the cello in high school and college and I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with my elbows now, cello's actually a pretty elbow heavy instrument. I don't think it broke them or anything but I wonder if that's why they're a little more sensitive than I'd expect.

I'd say it's a weird combination of both. IT didn't show up that much during the workout, but it shows up everytime I throw a football around too much (to the point where I say that I literally can't throw anymore cause my arm hurts so much). Would it be a good idea to take slider's advice and just lay off this week on the arm workouts, or just try to work through it?

Don't forget: Slider is a moron.

Did squats, push press, and power cleans today. Hit a squat PR of 345#, a 10 lb gain. Push press pr at 165#. Just barely missed the power clean of 205#. I can get the weight high enough, but I still can't get under it. I think it's mostly mental, because I get pretty close to blacking out just after each attempt.

Also, I got to see Sam Byrd squat 685x5 and then go heavier. That was pretty cool too.

steam_sig.png
    Man, I feel horrible during low volume/recovery weeks. The hormone and chem drop from the lack of stimulus is like injecting yourself with depression.

Slider wrote:
    Don't forget: Slider is a moron.

I mean I'm just curious, since Friday was the first time it showed up, whether or not I could just work through it, or just actually take the week off and do cardio all week.

This discussion has been closed.