Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Video Game Industry Thread: June-July is done, go to the next thread
Hi! Welcome to the video game industry thread. Here we discuss things like sales figures, game development, studio closures, executive quotes, marketing and general business stuff. Also poop jokes. But not jokes about Angry Birds, since their effects on conversations is invariably this:
1. NCAA Football 12 - Electronic Arts (360, PS3) = ~796K (15% YoY Increase)
2. Cars 2 - Disney Interactive Studios (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Activision Blizzard (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - Disney Interactive Studios (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
5. Just Dance 2 - Ubisoft (Wii)
6. Major League Baseball 2K11 - Take-Two Interactive (360, Wii NDS, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC)
7. Zumba Fitness: Join The Party - Majesco (Wii, 360, Ps3)
8. Fallout: New Vegas - Bethesda Softworks/ZeniMax (360, PS3, PC)
9. New Super Mario Bros DS - Nintendo (NDS)
10. Mortal Kombat 2011 - Warner Brothers Interactive (360, PS3)
360 sold 277k (down a lot but that is simply because of that sale last month, I think?), 45 percent of Wii/PS3/360 sales, only eight games sold more than 100k, basically your usual shit July except shittier.
“There is no getting around the fact that video game sales in the new physical retail channel suffered its lowest month since October 2006,” said Anita Frazier, an analyst for NPD.
Frazier said that a year ago, 19 games sold more than 100,000 units. This year, only eight games sold more than 100,000 units. That was because there were so few new releases. Last year, 29 games were released in July, while this year there were only 17 releases. August could also be a slow month because EA’s Madden NFL 12 won’t release until Aug. 30 this year.
Frazier also pointed out that digital is indeed helping to make up for lost physical sales. “New physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories accounted for 69% of the total consumer spend on the industry in Q1. We have measured some remarkable growth in other ways that consumers are acquiring content, including digital sales of full games and add-on content, mobile games, and social network gaming. Growth in these areas, combined with a flat to modest decline in new physical sales should result in 2011 showing growth over 2010," she said.