As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L.A. Noire] Use spoiler tags or you get 3 stars

John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
lanoire.png

L.A Noire Website
Wikipedia wrote:
L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games and published by Rockstar Games. Initially announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive, the game was later reported to also be scheduled for release on the Xbox 360. L.A. Noire is set in "a perfectly re-created Los Angeles" of 1947, with players being given an open-ended challenge to solve a series of murder mysteries.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting. The game uses a distinctive coloring-style in homage to the visual style of film noir. The post-war setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s (as well as James Ellroy's novel L.A. Confidential and the Academy Award winning Curtis Hanson film based on it), such as corruption and drugs, with a classical jazz soundtrack.

L.A. Noire is also notable for using Lightsprint's real-time global illumination technology, as well as Depth Analysis's newly developed piece of technology for the film and video game industries called MotionScan, where actors are recorded by 32 surrounding cameras to capture facial expressions from every angle.

spool32 made a new thread after this one sunk a bit. So in appreciation of the damn good OP I will post that here for all to see.
spool32 wrote: »
It was dark, like the inside of a Derringer. It was raining, the kind of rain that you can't see in the dark, but you can hear it hissing on the end of your cigarette. Across the street a guy stood under a lamppost like he fell out of it. He shrugged the rain off his shoulders and touched his hat when he caught sight of me. I could see he had something in his hand, something I wanted. Something I needed.

And he knew it.

I crossed the street, puddles soaking my toes. These shoes cost five hundred dollars. I didn't care.
"What have you got there, Sam?", I said through the rain.
Houser had the grace to look a little guilty. "L.A. Noire."
"I know it is, Sam. It's raining and the sun went down hours ago. Now let me see what you've got before I call my friend."
"Who's your friend?"
"His name is Colt."
"Easy, easy." He took a half step back and banged his shoulders into the lamppost. I smoked my cigarette and waited.
"It's a game, just a game," Houser stumbled over his words as much as he did over his feet.
"Just a game?"
"Take a look, mack. You tell me..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80

"That looks pretty damned good, Sam," I said, because it was true. Too true.
"I know! We reinvented facial movement, and did it so well that reading expressions can be part of the game itself, not just part of the graphics."
I read his expression. He looked pretty serious, but I wanted proof.
"Oh yeah? That's hard to believe, Sam."
"We get that a lot. Watch this and then see if you're convinced."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO03FXjPY3A

It was convincing, but I wasn't sold yet. Sure, the game looked like an open world extravaganza, sure it was a leap forward from GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, but what about the story? The mechanics? I'm no easy mark.
"How do I know you're not shining me on with cinematic trailers, Sam? Let's see some gameplay."
"Hey, sure, you're no sucker. How about this?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJymtKwNHs

I was sold. The rain came down out of the LA sky. I threw the cigarette in the street and reached for Sam's game. Instead, I got a face full of revolver.
"Not so fast, mack," he said over the barrel. His finger was on the trigger. I didn't move.
"Some kind of problem?" I tried to sound casual. It didn't work.
"What, you think because we showed this game as a 60 minute film at Tribeca, you can just walk up to me on the street and take a copy?"
"You want money? I've got money."
"Forget it, mack. You're going to wait, just like the rest of the world."
I didn't want to wait and I said so. He poked me in the forehead with the revolver. Suddenly, I wanted to wait.

"You're a tease, Sam, just like they said. When can I get the game?"
"Ask me again on May 17th. Now get out of here."

I got out of there. It was dark, and it was raining, and I had a lot of drinking to do before May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhoDM7gEu6E&feature=player_embedded#at=173

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
John Zoidberg on

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mmm, new thread smell.

I'll repost this from the other thread:
    SteevL wrote: »
    I just explored Rockstar's Social Club site for this game and was surprised to see they have a map under the "checklist" heading that shows you exactly where to find all the film rolls and landmarks that you are missing. I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere here in this thread, but figured other relative newcomers might find this info useful. I know I will!

SteevL on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This game turned out to be precisely what I wanted it to be. I absolutely love it. I love it even more than RDR and that's saying something.

Endaro on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mmm, new thread smell.

I'll repost this from the other thread:
    I just explored Rockstar's Social Club site for this game and was surprised to see they have a map under the "checklist" heading that shows you exactly where to find all the film rolls and landmarks that you are missing. I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere here in this thread, but figured other relative newcomers might find this info useful. I know I will!

The locations on the maps aren't quite accurate, as far as the dots go. But it helps.

DarkPrimus on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hehe, just started the 11th case, and the murderer didn't load in. Just his hat, and weapon. Beautiful.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hehe, just started the 11th case, and the murderer didn't load in. Just his hat, and weapon. Beautiful.

I had that happen during one of the newspaper cut scenes
    Courtney is standing in an alley facing off with a bunch of gangsters and NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING they just stare at each other for the whole cut scene. then at the very end I see a hat floating in mid air walk away!

apparently Kelso's model and audio didnt load in

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nicholson Electroplating wasn't bad. The really large searchable areas were kind of annoying though.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basticle wrote: »

I had that happen during one of the newspaper cut scenes
    Courtney is standing in an alley facing off with a bunch of gangsters and NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING they just stare at each other for the whole cut scene. then at the very end I see a hat floating in mid air walk away!

apparently Kelso's model and audio didnt load in

Hahahaha :lol:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mythago wrote: »
    Nicholson Electroplating wasn't bad. The really large searchable areas were kind of annoying though.
    The scene of the accident, there is literally a cop standing next to every piece of evidence going "hey did you see this?!". The hanger, not so much, but 1 Intuition Point isn't so bad to spend.

DarkPrimus on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Say I wanted to show off LA Noire to non gamers as an example of how video games don’t have to be all about shooting aliens or WWII. I’d like to run through a case that’s <1 hour when letting my partner drive, put together well (no crazy jumps in logic, no broken interview questioning, etc.), and is relatively tame (violent crime scene ok, but no kiddy rape or massive long shootouts). I’m just starting Homicide, and because of this, I think I’m stuck showing off “The Driver’s Seat”, or maybe “A Marriage Made in Heaven” (although the ending of that one is just ok). Are there any good cases coming up in the next 4-5 cases (about how far I could get before they come over) that would work better?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    edited June 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    Say I wanted to show off LA Noire to non gamers as an example of how video games don’t have to be all about shooting aliens or WWII. I’d like to run through a case that’s <1 hour when letting my partner drive, put together well (no crazy jumps in logic, no broken interview questioning, etc.), and is relatively tame (violent crime scene ok, but no kiddy rape or massive long shootouts). I’m just starting Homicide, and because of this, I think I’m stuck showing off “The Driver’s Seat”, or maybe “A Marriage Made in Heaven” (although the ending of that one is just ok). Are there any good cases coming up in the next 4-5 cases (about how far I could get before they come over) that would work better?

Without giving too much away, no. If you find the first homicide case doesn't fit what you're looking for, the next 5 are still homicide and are all similar to that one.

Endaro on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, most of Traffic's cases are pretty self contained and relatively non-violent.

Speaking of which, I finished all the cases last night and was finishing up the Street Crimes.
    What case was Dudley Lynch a part of? I don't really remember him.
    Also the second to last street crime I did was a violent hit and run. Boy did that bring back memories.
    Considering
    I actually found the knife the first time through and entirely forgot about the him after going to his appartment first, then chasing and losing him, then deciding to go talk to the wife instead on the reload.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Endaro wrote: »
    Without giving too much away, no. If you find the first homicide case doesn't fit what you're looking for, the next 5 are still homicide and are all similar to that one.

Well I haven't done the first Homicide case yet, so I'm not sure what it contains. I finished the last Traffic one, watched the cut scenes until the title card for Homicide #1 came up, and turned it off for the night. I'll play the first case tonight and see if I think it would work. I didn't realize Homicide was that long.
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, most of Traffic's cases are pretty self contained and relatively non-violent

Yeah, I'm thinking Traffic might be best for this. A violent, bloody crime scene isn't what I'm trying to avoid, since my in-laws watch all those CSI/NCIS crime cop shows (that's why I think they'd be halfway interested) and LA Noire's "gore" is much tamer than what those shows contain. I'm more trying to avoid the awkwardness of sitting next to my mother-in-law as we're examining the body of some naked woman on the autopsy table or grilling some dude about the 9 year old he assaulted.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've decided my favorite part of this entire game are the idle faces the record producer (black guy, small office, two other thugs in the room) makes. It's like they used outtake footage.

And it sort of sucks that by correctly figuring out which location we needed to go to near the end, we missed one of the most climactic and important scenes of character development in the game:
    Cole pulling a gun on his asshole former partner over Courtney's body. Damn our superior detective skills and the idea that Elsa might die if we took too long.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just finished this and goddamn does Rockstar continue to impress with their narrative. I didn't enjoy the game as much as I did RDR (understandable as that's been my favorite gaming experience of all time), but this was still a solid start to what will hopefully be a prolific series.

The gameplay itself was flawed, mostly the fact that the AI in the driving and on-foot chase sequences was pretty ridiculous with how blatantly it would cheat to outpace you (zero to sixty from a dead stop after being smashed by two cars? Sure, makes sense to me!), but other than that I enjoyed it. Some tightening up on the rather arbitrary suspect questioning wouldn't hurt either, but I'll take the driving/foot chase sequence improvements over all else first. Goddamn those were annoying.

Far as the story goes though, I really enjoyed it. As impressed as I initially was by this facial capture technology, I thought the novelty of it would wear off after the first few hours of gameplay, but it absolutely didn't. It added enough to the experience that I find it difficult to watch some of the more standard facial models in other games now. Hopefully this technology becomes relatively inexpensive and more widespread as time goes on, I'd love to see more of it.

Re: the ending
    Expected Cole to die, expected Jack to survive, did not expect that rat fuck Ray to survive and give the fucking eulogy. I was quite annoyed by that. I know, 'noire story' and all, but still, fuck that guy. Gah.

Halfmex on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only problem I had was on occasion the heads/faces were more animated then the body.
    There's a homicide case where you look at a piece of evidence, and Cole's body is ridged while his head/face is kinda moving ever-so-slightly.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So this game literaly killed my PS3. Got over-heated to the point it YLOD'd. Was wondering if anyone knows when they are going to patch the game so it dosn't over-heat older hardware?

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How popular would a bonus DLC case be for the end of the game?
    Playing as Jack, and exposing all the crap that Ray's been up to, ending with him either in jail or killed in a massive shootout.

I think that's what the game's missing over RDR, plot-wise. It may be bittersweet at best, but you can find the guy who screwed you over and get your revenge.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Halfmex wrote: »
    The gameplay itself was flawed

loved the game and I'd agree on problems with gameplay. my gripe is at times there seemingly was no gameplay and this felt like playing a movie, not a game. Especially when it came to detective work at times
    while trying to track down the Dahlia from the notes you have to guess what location next using the landmarks. So I open the map and there is a big question mark on the location of the Dahlia. um thanks for giving it away. and not to mention on the locations prior to the end if you go to one wrong location Cole blatantly says "Hey tard, go here". Damn, let me try and do a little detective work and figure it out on my own please. If I can't figure it out then leave that to be revealed by using intuition points, but don't ruin the fun of trying to figure things out

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited June 2011
    Halfmex wrote: »
    The gameplay itself was flawed

loved the game and I'd agree on problems with gameplay. my gripe is at times there seemingly was no gameplay and this felt like playing a movie, not a game. Especially when it came to detective work at times
    while trying to track down the Dahlia from the notes you have to guess what location next using the landmarks. So I open the map and there is a big question mark on the location of the Dahlia. um thanks for giving it away. and not to mention on the locations prior to the end if you go to one wrong location Cole blatantly says "Hey tard, go here". Damn, let me try and do a little detective work and figure it out on my own please. If I can't figure it out then leave that to be revealed by using intuition points, but don't ruin the fun of trying to figure things out
    If you opened your map and got a question mark on only the location of the Dahlia, it wasn't that the game was telling you where it was, it was just that you got weirdly lucky. When the quest starts, it marks a bunch of landmarks on your map, so you don't have to randomly drive around and uncover them to continue (a lengthy, frustrating task in a city of that size). The question-marked ones are those you've not actually encountered yet.

So if there was one question mark, it wasn't telling you "DAHLIA IS HERE," it was just saying of the 20 or so possible answers of where to go next, you'd only not visited one.

mwoody on
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm having a lot of fun spotting all the actors they got from Mad Men :P

minirhyder on
    edited June 2011
    The Golden Butterfly spoilers:
    So it seems like the star rating is based on how well your captain thinks you did, as opposed to the truth. I don't think I like that. I ran through the case very well, got all the way to the end, and when I had to arrest someone, I decided that the husband was the killer. Before I arrested him, though, I could tell that something was up with this case, and that the captain wouldn't be happy with my letting the pedophile go, so I looked up the case in a walkthrough and saw that while the husband really was the killer (based on the janitor's account), the only way to get 5 stars is to convict the wrong guy and make the captain happy. I chickened out (mainly because I didn't want to replay the whole case again) and arrested the pedophile to get the 5 stars, even though I would have and wanted to choose the husband.

I really wish it was the other way around, that the rating was based on the absolute truth, and that getting 5 stars sometimes meant pissing the captain off.

Or tell me that I have something wrong and to shut up and go play the game more, because I don't know the whole story yet.

bficky on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Golden Butterfly spoilers:
    So it seems like the star rating is based on how well your captain thinks you did, as opposed to the truth. I don't think I like that. I ran through the case very well, got all the way to the end, and when I had to arrest someone, I decided that the husband was the killer. Before I arrested him, though, I could tell that something was up with this case, and that the captain wouldn't be happy with my letting the pedophile go, so I looked up the case in a walkthrough and saw that while the husband really was the killer (based on the janitor's account), the only way to get 5 stars is to convict the wrong guy and make the captain happy. I chickened out (mainly because I didn't want to replay the whole case again) and arrested the pedophile to get the 5 stars, even though I would have and wanted to choose the husband.

I really wish it was the other way around, that the rating was based on the absolute truth, and that getting 5 stars sometimes meant pissing the captain off.

Or tell me that I have something wrong and to shut up and go play the game more, because I don't know the whole story yet.

You have something wrong, shut up and go play the game more. :P

You're right on your assessment on how the star ranking system works. But you'll see soon enough.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, shutting up now.

Well after this:

I just watched the beginning of the next case, and the cut scene does change slightly depending on who you chose in case before. I really hope that little change in dialog is the only thing that is altered story-wise from here on out, because I'll be pissed if the story is now forever tainted with a choice that wasn't what I wanted to choose, right or wrong.

Will this happen more and more in the rest of the game?

bficky on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, shutting up now.

Well after this:

I just watched the beginning of the next case, and the cut scene does change slightly depending on who you chose in case before. I really hope that little change in dialog is the only thing that is altered story-wise from here on out, because I'll be pissed if the story is now forever tainted with a choice that wasn't what I wanted to choose, right or wrong.

Will this happen more and more in the rest of the game?

Shut up and play the game more, you'll be fine.

Endaro on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    minirhyder wrote: »

Has there been any sort of attempt online to list all the Mad Men actors that appear in the game? Not just the lead actors on the show like Aaron Stanton, Vincent Kartheiser, the guy who played Mickey Cohen who was the comedian, etc., but some of the smaller reoccurring roles as well.

I've recognized two former roommates of Joan and Peggy, and at least one of the secretaries.

Captain Tragedy on
    edited June 2011
    minirhyder wrote: »

Has there been any sort of attempt online to list all the Mad Men actors that appear in the game? Not just the lead actors on the show like Aaron Stanton, Vincent Kartheiser, the guy who played Mickey Cohen who was the comedian, etc., but some of the smaller reoccurring roles as well.

I've recognized two former roommates of Joan and Peggy, and at least one of the secretaries.

IMDb can do that work for you:

http://www.imdb.com/search/name?roles=tt0804503,tt1764429

SteevL on
    edited June 2011
    Whoah, I knew it was a couple, but 59!? Their casting department was a little lazy, eh?

But then, I already knew that, because Bob Clendenin shows up freaking everywhere.

mwoody on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/17161/la-noire-is-coming-for-pc-this-fall.html
    PC gaming aficionados, we hear you. And today, we are very happy to announce that L.A. Noire will be arriving on the PC platform this fall.

Developed by Rockstar Leeds and built to run on a wide range of PCs, L.A. Noire's robust feature customization includes keyboard remapping and gamepad functionality to both optimize and customize performance and user experience. Along with increased fidelity and improved graphical enhancements, the PC version will also feature 3D support for an even greater sense of interaction and immersion within a painstakingly detailed 1940s Los Angeles.

YES!

Suriko on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So apparently I'm bad at trailing people. It's the case of
    the boxer not taking the fall. You have to trail his girlfriend on foot from her apartment. How do you go incognito on benches again? Can you do that on any bench?

Or is there a better way of not being spotted?

enc0re on
    edited July 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    the boxer not taking the fall. You have to trail his girlfriend on foot from her apartment. How do you go incognito on benches again? Can you do that on any bench?

Benches, shoe shiners, storefront windows, and just generally taking cover like you would in a gunfight do the trick.

SteevL on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What's the button for going incognito? It's not in the manual. I know RB is for taking cover.

enc0re on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What's the button for going incognito? It's not in the manual. I know RB is for taking cover.

believe you get a prompt to press A when next to an object that allows it

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited July 2011
    Or X if you're playing it on PS3.

SteevL on
  • PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have a new thing to do when I'm driving; aiming for benches when people are sitting on them. If you time it right, you can clip the bench, smashing it to bits and leaving the people sitting in mid-air.

So many unsolved crimes in the City of Angels. And so many displaced buttocks.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm playing this first round with no resets. If I botch an investigation, I'm letting the game take me where it will. I'm liking it so far.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SoundProofingSoundProofing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IGDA investigates Team Bondi
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/la-noire/news/6321475/igda-investigating-team-bondi-workers-rights-complaints

Video does not have anything to do with the controversy but does foreshadow the PC announcement quite well.

Heard this on a podcast. I don't know what to make of this report other than to feel gratitude and sympathy for the people who worked so hard on this game. Game takes six years and the allegations are that the game was under extended crunch constantly(I had to look it up, at first I thought they referring to the exercise). I'm glad to the game mad eit and is a success but I hope Team Bondi can relax a bit more in the future now that they have this stone to build on. It would be a shame that this turns into this generation's version of the Getaway(which they mention in the video in the link).

SoundProofing on
    edited July 2011
    I have a new thing to do when I'm driving; aiming for benches when people are sitting on them. If you time it right, you can clip the bench, smashing it to bits and leaving the people sitting in mid-air.

So many unsolved crimes in the City of Angels. And so many displaced buttocks.

I've started trying to outright launch people into the air using my car. Due to the game's pedestrian safety AI, its a little tricky to do right. Hmm, maybe I should just let my parnter drive in the future.

SoundProofing on
    edited July 2011

Benches, shoe shiners, storefront windows, and just generally taking cover like you would in a gunfight do the trick.

As said before, it will prompt as a button when you get close to a place where you can go incognito. Taking cover around corners, cars and dumpsters works too. I got the achievement for not using either and it was rather fun. Just stand behind big things and maneuver around her line of sight. Little tricky but it can be done. One of the most satisfying achievements I ever got. Then I played Infamous one and the tailing missions made me not want to follow anyone ever again. Sigh...

SoundProofing on
    edited July 2011
    mwoody wrote: »
    Whoah, I knew it was a couple, but 59!? Their casting department was a little lazy, eh?

But then, I already knew that, because Bob Clendenin shows up freaking everywhere.

You have to admit its effective. If you're going to do a videogame with a cast of hundreds without breaking the bank, you might as well pick people who are A)are used to playing characters from the 40s and 50s and B) might be doing this job in the same studio complex that they are doing other work in. I would not be surprised if they got economical with their scheduling. Just guessing here.

That reminds me of the story in the local paper a year back that PotC: On Stranger Tides were auditioning natural looking women. The audition reportedly included requiring actresses to run in front of the casting department people to watch for body parts that behaved ahem "out of character".

SoundProofing on
  • Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had no problem with the casting. I think it's generally quite well done.

Nearing the end of the game now and I'm really enjoying the way the pace and urgency has picked up.

Dr. Worm on