As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, at the beginning of the season
    Tara being killed offscreen wasn't some greater mystery, but just an incredibly shitty end for a character? Jesus, no matter what issues I had with Tara over the years, she was with the show from the beginning and Rutina Wesley deserved better than an offscreen death and then being used as absolution for her mother's horribleness and given a lifelong guilt trip for not shooting her father as a child.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I've hated Tara as much as anyone, but I've always felt bad because Rutina Wesley did as good a job as anyone on the show. She deserved better than to have the writers make her character so hate-able.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    RIP Tara, you where a shitty character, but it was not your fault. All your problems can be laid at the feet of shitty writers that wouldn't know good writing if it took a dump on their desk.

I also strongly suspect their writing would be improved if somebody took a dump on their desk.

Peace out.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    As much as I hated her character after season 1, I never put the blame on the actress. She did what she could.

Now I'm imagining how loathed Tara would be if a lesser actress played her.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    She was capable of being a strong character. Then they would write her into always somehow circling back into being a victim of circumstance.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    She was capable of being a strong character. Then they would write her into always somehow circling back into being a victim of circumstance.

Yeah, remember when she was an MMA fighter? The writers sure didn't.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I kind of zoned out during the Tara scenes. Did they ever explain why they were digging the yard? Was the gun there?
    Because I know they all got high and walked into the house, but not why they were digging.

Edit: I know they were digging because two or so episodes ago dream Tara was digging or something, but was there a reason for the digging and not just going to the house?

Invisible on
  • Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    I kind of zoned out during the Tara scenes. Did they ever explain why they were digging the yard? Was the gun there?
    Because I know they all got high and walked into the house, but not why they were digging.

Edit: I know they were digging because two or so episodes ago dream Tara was digging or something, but was there a reason for the digging and not just going to the house?

Yeah
    It was where she had buried her father's gun that she couldn't use to shoot him with

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    only Sookie worth a damn is Gilmore Girls' Sookie!

I will admit that Lafayette would have been awesome in Star's Hallow.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Fuck that episode. So much bullshit with Tara, and so little time with Lafayette. Hoyt is back and I'm hoping something good happens to that man.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Come on, we all know that the longer Hoyt stays in Bon Temps, the more likely Jason will fuck whoever he's dating. It's like a foregone conclusion by now.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    Come on, we all know that the longer Hoyt stays in Bon Temps, the more likely Jason will fuck whoever he's dating. It's like a foregone conclusion by now.

I'm actually surprised it didn't happen in the last episode.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    "LET ME IN YOUR CAR"
    "NO THIS IS POLICE BUSINESS AND IT WILL BE DANGEROUS. YOU ARE NOT COMING"
    "BUT THE WRITERS SAY I GET INTO YOUR CAR"
    "UHG OK"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    frogurtfrogurt Registered User regular
    I want to know what exactly was going on in the writers' room when they proposed like 6 episodes for the Tara storyline, and like 4 for Vampire Bill Remembers theatre. Did they just have nothing else to wrapup?

sig_cyoa-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Latest episode of True Blood:

-Uncomfortably kinky rape/death torture prep scene? Uhh okay. Broken up by Hoyt walking in from off screen being like "Well fuck this~" The punchline was not worth the setup unfortunately.

-Just like how Sookie/Bill doesn't work anymore because of how ridiculous Bill was the past three seasons, Hoyt/Jessica is no longer cute because of how strongly unpleasant they were at the end. I'm okay with Jessica/Jason but I don't... care about it. At all.

-When Bill was like "I can't escape my past!" I was like "Unfortunately, the audience knows that feel dude. Knock it off with the flashbacks!"

-Shouldn't they have been frantically videotaping the results of the antidote on Eric if he's meant to be the spokesman? I suppose they might want to hide that it works THAT well if they're going to prevent it from being a cure, but then again, they could lie that it works that well and say that it varies from vampire to vampire when people complain.

-Speaking of which... New Blood makes no sense as a scheme. Tru Blood is apparently off the shelves worldwide. Just making a newer, safer product would already be extremely profitable, mainstreaming vamps NEED IT TO LIVE. Why couple it with this stupid "we'll cure you but not really" BS?

-"I'm gonna fly off to Texas or Japan or wherever and leave my EXTREMELY important captive here in this building that's only sort of guarded. I'm sure I can trust the guy that mind reading reveals I ALREADY DO NOT TRUST with her alone."

-Oh yeah, Tara's problem was that she didn't make ENOUGH allowances for her mom. Man, fuck this show long plotline, seriously. I'm sure some victims of addicts feel this way, but there's no need. The addict REALLY IS an asshole.

-OF COURSE Bill won't just take the cure. He's gotta whine for an episode yet.

Hey wait... was Sam not in that episode at all? Doesn't say anything great about his storyline that I just now thought of that...

• Options
    My fantasy ending:
    Jason and Hoyt end up together.
    Jessica and the other girl end up together because their lovers have found true love and why not?
    Bill dies while Sookie watches and someone, it doesn't matter who, whispers you're both just awful.
    Tara's ghost comes back and kills her mom in a sacrificial ritual that resurrects Jesus (the boyfriend).
    Lafayette and Jesus go off to live sassily ever after.
    Eric and Pam become King and Queen Vampire.
    A meteor strikes Merlotte's killing Sam and redheaded waitress.
    Andy, Wiccan girlfriend and family move into the fairy world. Andy becomes the sheriff.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    My fantasy ending:
    Jessica and the other girl end up together because their lovers have found true love and why not?
    Bill dies while Sookie watches and someone, it doesn't matter who, whispers you're both just awful.
    Tara's ghost comes back and kills her mom in a sacrificial ritual that resurrects Jesus (the boyfriend).
    Andy, Wiccan girlfriend and family move into the fairy world. Andy becomes the sheriff.

Option 2: the entire show turns out to be a story Sookie couldn't think of a decent ending for. The show ends with her shredding all of the last few seasons.

• Options
    Everything after season 1 ends up being a dream.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Maybe if we're lucky, the show will end with Bob Newhart reprising the role of Dr. Bob Hartley waking from a dream with the line "Honey, you won't believe the dream I just had."

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    My fantasy ending:

Everything about this is perfect except Sookie is still alive at the end

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Welp, I am officially caught up now.

This show sucks, lol. I can't imagine what they are going to do for a finale, it just seems like there is no real long underlying plot for the show to end on. Season 6 dragged on for fucking ever and I feel like seven is just... a normal season. It feels... disconnected?

All in all, Eric is awesome and Bill and Sookie are fucking retarded. The best part of the entire show is when Eric drinks from that dudes heart like it was a drinking glass. Fucking great. I would watch a TV show based on Eric and Pam.

Also, my wife is now reading the books and they are SO different. Some of the shit she is telling me is hilarious.

Book Spoiler, but funny.
    Apparently Elvis died and was turned but his brain was too far gone and now he's a retarded vampire. Yes.

Mentally retarded Vampire Elvis. Hahahaha.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    The books are hilarious. Book Sookie is a Mary Sue author-insert. There are parts when it's painfully obvious that Sookie has just become whatever the author does in her spare time (apparently watch Jeopardy, worry about her weight, and shop at Wal-Mart in sweatpants; seriously Sookie will go from being described as Show-Sookie to Hoyt's mom).

I keep forgetting that there's only 2 episodes left and not 4. So yeah, they really spent all that time on Tara's mom and wasting Lafayette. I didn't even mind vampire-Tara that much.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I would watch a show about Andy being sheriff of fairy land.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I think I would rather watch that then much more True Blood. =P

• Options
    Yay, unnecessary drama.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh my god, Jess had to tease us one last time. I hate this season and this show.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    This is the second to last episode of the series?

NOTHINGS HAPPENED THIS WHOLE EPISODE SO FAR.

Edit: Ok Sam left and Hoyt and Jessica but that's about it.

Ugh.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    This is the next-to-last episode. Ever. And it's almost all been filler.

They had a year. A year of planning, writing, filming, and editing, and this is the best they could come up with.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hahahahahahahahahah okay, that was pretty good.

• Options
    Hahahahahahahahahah okay, that was pretty good.

Apparently Ginger is easily satisfied.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh my God, Eric, just give the fairy up. Pam >>>>>>> Sookie

• Options
    Oh my God, Eric, just give the fairy up. Pam Anybody>>>>>>> Sookie

Seriously, I almost just want Sookie to die at the end of the series so people can finally realize that she wasn't really all that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, this series end plot is pretty horseshit, and every time I see these Boardwalk series finale previews I think of how much better a show that is. It really doesn't help.

Oh well, in it for the long haul. At least the Jason plot ending up with indistinguishable blonde girlfriend and Jess ending with Hoyt is nice of them. Albeit forced as all hell, but whatever.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The Ginger scene made this whole season worth it. Jess and Hoyt help. And Jason giving us a whole lot of insight on his mental capacity based on amount of concussions and duration of unconsciousness due to concussion.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh my God, Eric, just give the fairy up. Pam >>>>>>> Sookie

If this season has proved anything, it's that Pam is actually the worst.

Flashback Pam: Whines about Eric's decisions, doesn't make any plans if things were to go bad. Things go bad, she is instantly captured. Eric has to give up a lover he quite fancies at the time to save her.

Early on Pam: Eric encounters the Yakuza. He kills three of them, while quite ill. Pam is captured and helpless (remember, she was in perfect health), forcing Eric to surrender. They are going to die until a deal is reached.

Pam again: Pam is captured by the Yakuza for a third time, Eric has to give up Sookie to help her.

Pam, as written this season, is AWFUL at being a vampire. Jessica, who's like 100 years younger, is 20x the fighter.

Back to the most recent episode.

Worthwhile parts:
    -Jason stuff, at this point, he's surpassed Eric in some ways as the most watchable character. His disdain of a 5 minute concussion, fairytale narrating voice (somebody get this guy some VA work, tout suite!), and his over the phone seduction game were great.
    -Eric throwing Ginger a bone. Ginger immediately going comatose from a single touch of that bone.
    -Although the delivery has been awful, I DO buy Sam as a family man. It's kind of a sweet ending, if you can still remember how sad and awful his backstory was.
    -Sam's letter to Andy was funny as a scene.
    -At least Jessica understood how selfish and awful she was being and they didn't try to pretty it up at all. If you want to make a selfish play for someone else's boyfriend, honesty is better than the alternative...

Dumb stuff:
    -Bill is dumbdumbdumb
    -They keep jobbing Eric to the Yakuza as if they stand even 1% of a chance. COME ON! (Although I do think super weak Bill vs a team of professional killers might actually be an exciting scene next week).
    -Hoyt x Jessica is no longer cute, Hoyt is an A hole with anger issues.
    -If Bridget is to be Jason's end game, they needed to get her in here WAY sooner. She's cute and not terrible at acting honestly, but it sort of insults all of us to introduce the possible love of his life three episodes from the end of the series. What is this, the last season of Entourage?

Stuff that only excites me:
    -I think Eric is going to fly from Bill's house!
    -I think Eric is going to fly WITH Sookie!! OMG
    -Why doesn't he ever do the Superman, didn't he watch Iron Giant?

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Swear to god there's a whole army of HBO people who are rules lawyering Deborah Ann Woll's no-nudity clause.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I can't believe how anti-climactic this whole season has been. They really thought we wanted the arc of the finale season to be will or won't Bill let himself die of hep V? Good christ.

A couple notes on this episode that stood out in a horrible way to me:

- While it ended up being a little funny, the Ginger/Eric thing really felt like some middle aged lady wrote a spec script of fan fic and it turned in to an actual scene on the show.
    - I really HATE what they did with Hoyt's girlfriend from Alaska. She's supposed to be a biologist, but the only thing that defines her on the show is she's super insecure and just needs a man to either give her a baby or help her get a better deal on a plane ticket back to Alaska. And her going on and on about how Jason is so sweet and such a wonderful guy is so stupid. She's barely even met him. Like, Hoyt was right when he told Jason he'd never have what Hoyt/Jessica did(at the time at least). At that time Jason just banged whatever chick was in the room with him with no concern for whether he was with another woman, if he'd ever see them again, etc. They should've just left that character off the show at all if this is all they're doing with her. Hoyt could've come back to Bon Temps alone and fell back in love with Jessica without needing a scientist girlfriend who inexplicably has no sense of self-worth.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Man, that Sam resolution is bullshit, when this literally happened already last season and he refused. I mean, I'm good with the ending, just, man, they could have actually done his leaving off screen in the 2-3rd episode and it would have worked out the exact same way.

It's great that Jason is almost breaking the 4th wall with his like self realizations of being ridiculous. He pretty much flat out says he has a superpower when dealing with women. Jessica could have easily gone to

Also, eric giving the speech to bill was horseshit, he just framed the disease
    as making you suicidal. When that is the case, Bill's choice isn't a choice anymore. The disease is talking. You tell him 'get the cure, then decide if you want to meet the sun'. Force him to get treatment at that point. Eric is easily stronger than him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I've been following the show by watching recaps. I am glad I bailed. There have been some clunker seasons with True Blood definitely, but these last two have taken the cake. The end of season 5 (hell all of season 5) gave me high hopes that the show was about to get crazy serious. . .and instead it was a bunch of fucking nonsense. It is a testament to the lack of imagination this show has that Marnie and Season 4 will eclipse these last two seasons by a country mile.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I've been resisting piling onto the hate bandwagon, but this everyone-gets-a-happy-ending stuff doesn't work for this show. This show is at it's absolute best when it's completely off the rails and careening uncontrollably towards a crowd of innocent bystanders. That's not even remotely what this season has been so far.
    From Tara's off-screen death and subsequent closure for her fucking awful mother, to Sam's practically off-screen departure, to Alcide ignominiously getting shot from off-screen by a nobody after the fight was over, to Hoyt being pissed enough to knock Jason out over something that he doesn't actually remember, to Bill's pointless flashback non-sequiturs, to a completely healthy 1000 year old vampire not being able to annihilate a few Yakuza mooks threatening one of the few people in the world that he cares about. And where the hell did all the roaming packs of Hep V vamps go? They wipe out one group and suddenly they're nowhere to be found?

This show's pinnacle was Russel throwing to the weather report after telling the world he was going to eat their children. This season is the opposite of that. And it's making me sad.

TheCanMan on