As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi, welcome to [Starcraft 2]; No you'll never be good, you'll just be less bad.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
hydra.jpg

(Artwork provided by forum member Wakkawa. Visit his site and buy some amazing work at inexpensive prices. Commissions available!)

The Starcraft II discussion thread
(Channel PA on NA)

Mule Dance!

Six hours of Combat EX getting insulted on Destiny's stream.

The SC2 thread proudly presents!

1. The Weekly Forum Challenge

(Organizer: MNC Dover)
-What the hell is the Weekly Forum Challenge (WFC)?

The WFC is a new idea I came up with that will pit one forum member against everyone else in the forum. Basically, you apply to be in the WFC and when your name is called, you take on everyone else in the forum.

-Huh? Why would I want to do that?

Because it's fun, keeps the forum more interactive, and allows you to improve your game by playing a lot of different playstyles.

-OK, who do I play against?

Everyone. It doesn't matter if your Bronze or Master, these games are no ranks barred. Yeah, if you're a Bronze level player you'll probably get splattered, but you will be learning something and have a set of replays from which to study. You could use this opportunity to practice a single build and see how it fares against several other types of builds. Either way, it will be a good learning experience and fun!

-Sounds interesting....what are the rules?

If your name is called, you will take all invites from Sunday to Saturday that week. Opponents can challenge you via forum posts, PM's, or on B.Net. You must try your best to take on every challenge, so be prepared to spend a few hours on b.net during your week.

-I'm only a Bronze leaguer. I'll get squashed so I don't want to enter.

Hold on there a minute, I'm not done yet. Any WFC entrant can request a live-coach regardless of their rank. Yes, any rank. The coach may only give advice during play in ally chat to you and you cannot ask questions. The coach also cannot tell you what the enemy is doing or steer your build to screw over the enemy. Only tips like, watching your supply counts, build more structures, drone up, scout, expo, spend money, etc. The coach can be anyone the WFC wants and can change from game to game. You can talk with your coach before and after games to discuss strats, build orders, and the like.

-Awesome! I think I want to participate. How do I enter?

PM a message to me with "WFC" as the title and the following information:

-Forum name
-B.Net ID with 3 digit code
-Race played (please only use one to reduce headaches)
-Rank
-Do you want a coach?
-Timezone (easy conversions for us lazy Americans please)
-At least three different weeks you want to apply for with your most favorable choice first (example: 03/20-03/26, 03/27- 04/05, and 04/13-04/19)
-Your choice of how you want to play matches, either bo1 or bo3

-Great, I sent out the information and got accepted. Now what?

Now you have to openly accept challenges from the forum. Post the time or times you will make yourself available for matches. Other people can set-up appointments for matches or play however you choose. If you only want to accept appointments great, if not, you can do a first come, first pwned set-up.

-What maps do we play on?

For bo1's, the WFC player gets to choose the map. Sorry folks, that's the advantage of manning up and taking on all comers. For bo3's, the first game is on Shakura's Plateau with the loser choosing the next map from the official Blizzard Ladder pool. Yes this means the maps may change over time. We'll manage.

-What happens when my week is over?

You gather up all your replays, name them "WFC vs (insert enemy name), add them to gamereplays.org (info found in the OP), and then post EVERY SINGLE GAME into a single spoilered post. The thread creator will add your games into the OP and they'll stay there until the next person's turn is over.

-When does all this begin?

How does this Sunday sound? I'm taking applications now!

-I had an emergency mid-week! What do I do?

No biggie, we all understand that real life stuff happens. Let everyone know and I'll do my best to find someone to fill in the spot. No problem at all.

-Anything else?

Glad you asked. I really think this can be fun, especially if we have some of our more charismatic people bring some light-hearted, jaw-jacking to the table. I'd also really like it if some of the lower ranked players step up and give this a go. In reality, it's no different then playing against PA people anyway, but now it will have more of a focus. You can have a target on your back which might change the way you play by adding or removing pressure.

ABOVE ALL, I just want everyone to have fun and play more SC2. :D

So, who's in?

Our fifteenth WFC player will be Stimtokolos! Here's his info:

Forum name: Stimtokolos
B.Net ID with 3 digit code: stimtokolos.327
Race played: Zerg
Do you want a coach?: No
Timezone: UTC+10 (KST + 1)
bo3 format

Challenge our player by sending him a PM, post, or b.net message to set up times!

Here are the replays of the WFC prior:
repimg-33-219870.jpg
repimg-33-219872.jpg
repimg-33-219873.jpg
repimg-33-219874.jpg
repimg-33-219879.jpg
repimg-33-219880.jpg
repimg-33-219881.jpg
repimg-33-219882.jpg
repimg-33-219883.jpg

2. PA showmatch series #2 & #3

(Organizer: Dhal)
When you step on this deck, you be ready to fight, or you dishonor the reason why we're here. Now remember this: When you fight a man, he's not your friend.

Watch PAers engage in friendly (most of the time) combat for your entertainment!

y4YWn.png

Penny Arcade Curvy Star League Lite!!!

WHEN: Friday 15th July 8pm EDT (EST)

WHERE: NA server, PA chat channel

WHAT:
Penny Arcade CSL Lite
Please sign up with the naming format: Name.IdentifierRace (Dhal.517P)
Name.IdentifierRace

http://challonge.com/tournament/signup/y3dnyy68v3

Maps

1. MLG Shattered Temple

2. Xel’Naga Caverns

3. Tal’darim Altar LE

Format
8 players
Double elimination. Players are seeded randomly
Every match is a best of 3
North American Server

----

Tournament is open only to players in the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum leagues. The tournament will be expanded to 16 player single elimination if interest is high enough.

----

As an important note! I am looking for someone to manage the score reporting duties for this tournament. I won't be around next weekend, so I'm not able to do more than get the ball rolling on this. PM me if you intend to play in the tournament or intend to be around anyway, and I will hand over score reporting access to you. You'll need a Challonge! account.

3. Replay(s) of the day! (7/8)

(Organizer: whoever created this thread)

A random replay of the day donated by our forum-goers. Make sure to upload your replay submissions to submit your replay using gamereplays.org. And be a pal and mark your replay as ROTD material in your post so they're easier to find.

repimg-33-220259.jpg
repimg-33-220261.jpg

Start here to better craft some stars.
The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:
  • General
    • Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.
    • Wellplayed.org. Starcraft 2 aggregation site from the SCReddit group.
  • Talk shows
    • State of the Game podcast. The pillars of the starcraft 2 community --- JP, EGIncontrol, Liquid`Tyler, and Day[9] --- talk (mostly) about current events in the starcraft community every Tuesday.
  • Educational

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastetosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No snitches.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    streaming right now http://www.justin.tv/dhalphir

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    toss.

girl.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In b4 someone says "That new thread smell"

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good old Wood League.

Yo Dhal what's your stream link.

e: God damn Dhal and his posting APM.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm listening to the CombatEX Destiny stuff (now in the OP!). God is this guy either a complete moron or a magnificent troll.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Think it's a combination really.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm listening to the CombatEX Destiny stuff (now in the OP!). God is this guy either a complete moron or a magnificent troll.

[REDACTED]

Guy has issues. Ought to deal with them.

kedinik on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Isn't CombatEX in GM?

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    He's basically the dude who keeps the other GMs honest with predictable but well executed cannon rushes.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    He is pretty darn good at cheesing.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure he openly stream cheats though, which is kind of bullshit. Buuuut whatever.

I guess if someone decided to just fucking blind cannon rush you and scouted you cross positions you should be ready for that.

I really don't have any evidence to support my claims. I just seem to remember this being a thing.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SPEEEEEEEEEEDLINGSSSSSS

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure he openly stream cheats though, which is kind of bullshit. Buuuut whatever.

I guess if someone decided to just fucking blind cannon rush you and scouted you cross positions you should be ready for that.

I really don't have any evidence to support my claims. I just seem to remember this being a thing.

No, it's definitely a thing.

In the Destiny VODs he was like "Ok look let's say you remove all my stream cheat wins... That's still over 50% wins against people like you!"

Also included such gems as "It's harder to stream cheat than it is to play straight up, so much multitasking!" But he sure loves him some trolling.

kedinik on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just watched the first half of the Code S games today, kinda annoying that Tester goes through and July is out when they were 1-1.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just wanted to say again, that the qxc wolf combo today was a treat.

I really enjoyed that cast.

I only really watch games I'm interested in specifically these days.

GSTL is way better than stock GSL in my opinion.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    Just watched the first half of the Code S games today, kinda annoying that Tester goes through and July is out when they were 1-1.

Yeah, I dislike their format for these early stages.

Kind of just don't care to watch because it's a bit confusing and arbitrary.

But Sheth, <3

kedinik on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    CombatEX is a bro

watching the videos with him vs Deezer was good times

Senshi on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh also a few pages back there was a discussion re: clumping units and how to get casters and shit out of them

I have vague memories of there being a modifier key in War3 that would let you issue orders to whatever unit type you had highlighted in your control group. Like, you would have Footmen, Knights and Priests in a control group and you would tab to the Priests and hold down a modifier and it would only issue the command to the Priests

I tried doing it in SC2 the other day and it wouldn't work no matter what I tried, so I'm assuming it isn't in the game. Am I wrong? Am I wrong about it being in War3?

Edit: From the back of the vanilla Warcraft 3 manual:

GAME COMMANDS
    Alt (when held during a command): Override formation movement during an action
    Ctrl (when held during a command): Send action to currently active subgroup only

"Subgroup" here referring to the different unit types within a control group, each type a separate subgroup

Is this already in SC2, or am I dumb

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure that is not in SC2.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I've been doing a lot better in TvZ lately and have started playing around with build compositions a bit more. I tried speed reaper, tank, marine during a mid-game push and thought it seemed kind of cool.
    It's useful to scout for hidden hatches/banes and you can snipe drones easily when you draw the main army away from the hatches.

Does anyone use this build much? Are there problems with it?

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You're probably going to end up way too light on tanks with all the gas you'll need to spend on additional techlabs, reaper speed and on the reapers themselves if you want to make those previous investments worth your while.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ahhh I should play dis game.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Streaming on the woodleage come watch and tell me why i suck so much at pvt :)

http://www.justin.tv/thewoodleagueallstars

GarethMagis on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »

Yeah, I dislike their format for these early stages.

Kind of just don't care to watch because it's a bit confusing and arbitrary.

But Sheth, <3

i'm hoping this is sheths coming out party. i really like his style, and he isnt an asshole, like a Mr. Greg Fields

Joe K on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MSL prelims

they're gonna be on later

group 11 for mmmig

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i thought you were crazy peace

then i realised you didn't mean they were on right now

PoolCue on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was trying to explain starcraft to a friend of mine last night. he seemed pretty interested, I may try and show him a vod of something or another.

I try not to be pushy with it but it's like DUDES DONT YOU KNOW YOU COULD BE WATCHING THE BEST GAME EVER

but I have to rein it in and try to let them realize they are interested.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    As someone famous said about introducing the game to regular people. Don't talk about the game, talk about all the hallabaloo around the game, the players, competitions, drama etc.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My mom was asking about Nestea July this morning and I ended up trying to explain why Ultralisks are good against Infestors. I ended up with "They're big and strong" and changed the subject

TannerMS on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's gotta be one of the best explanations ever really.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Joe is in silver? When did that happen?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You could have summarized it in street.

"Fuckers have frenzy. Bitches dun be frontin' on frenzy."

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MMMig wrote: »

"Fuckers have frenzy, and bitches dun be frontin' on frenzy."

hahah, it's like you start thinking about it and it gets really complicated! I'm got to explain about roots and mind control and why people have infestors in the first place when Ultras are so good

TannerMS on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TannerMS wrote: »

hahah, it's like you start thinking about it and it gets really complicated! I'm got to explain about roots and mind control and why people have infestors in the first place when Ultras are so good

i don't think i've seen you ever build an ultra...

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Frenzy pretty much nullifies everything infestors are good for.

after explaining that to her though, you gotta do the "killshot" hand gesture and talk some extra smack to solidify yo cred

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's very little good reason to ever build one.

Aside from how awesome they look or to stomp forcefields.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Joe K wrote: »
    TannerMS wrote: »

i don't think i've seen you ever build an ultra...

I ultralisk rushed you in your WFC! Before people started researching blink they were pretty good :( and I actually still think they're your best hive tech option in ZvZ

TannerMS on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ok, so people are confused by my various names

so if you see any of these

Huggles
    Zombie Monkey
    ZM
    Hill
    Erik
    Ares
    Cel
    Shoe
    Hat
    Sylem

Then the likelihood is that it is me!

Embrace it, love it

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    also for some reason today im playing much better than usual and i beat the protoss death ball with banelings, roaches, corrupters, drop and lings, i was actually astounded i managed to do it

repimg-33-218547.jpg

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III