As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a boot disc to transfer files to USB

CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My laptop's Windows installation committed harakiri, and the repair claims it will need to delete all files on the computer. I would like to take a few select folders from the computer before this happends.

To do this, I need to make a boot CD with some suitable software that allows me to copy files to a USB stick. I have located on such, MiniTool Power Recovery something-or-other, but it is not free, and the demo version just let's me look at the files, not copy them (which was a fucking waste of my time, but okay).

I need some software that is actually free that does the same thing, but my google-fu is either returning paying programs or some seriously dodgy sites. Help!

I tried something called PEBuilder, but for reasons unknown, it failed to generate a working disc from the Windows recovery disc (at a guess it's because it really is a recovery disc and lacked some files neccesary, based on the warnings the builder generated).

(Worst case, I'd brute force it and just plug the HD into my desktop, but one of the fucking screws on the lid won't come off with the tools I have at my disposal)

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
Calixtus on

• Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Knoppix did indeed do the trick, after a few initial attempts and some raging, before I realized that the disc I was trying to burn it to was too small. Once that was fixed, it worked and I have now succesfully retrieved all the files I wanted.

Many, many thanks!

Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by: