As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain they intend to get a console version, ronya.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote:
    gilrain wrote:
    If you're looking for a deal, wait until Black Friday.

This is literally crazy talk.

It's like two weeks away. It'll keep.

If not, then get it from D2D for $53.

D2D was bought out by Gamefly, so it's anyone's guess whether or not their downloading service D2D will be there for.

As for me, I put 60 dollars down in my local gamestop today.

I don't know what you're saying about D2D but you pay less money to get it from D2D and they literally just e-mail you a key to enter into Steam. Not buying from D2D, unless you really want a physical copy for some reason, makes no sense at all.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    For some reason I'm really worried that with the PC version will only have like two graphics options, instead of the plethora of toggles and choices Oblivion had. This is mostly just because of the RAGE PC release and all the things Todd Howard has said about 360 being the lead platform and the game looking comparable across all platforms.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't think that's likely to be the case.

Just look at ESIII, IV, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. All of them console ports on the PC or built around consoles. All of them had video options.

Bethesda knows their market on the PC. I think that's something id forgot about.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    I tried to preorder on D2D, and it just kept failing, so I decided it was worth the $7 to forget D2D exists and just no-hassle pre-order on Steam.

After all, if I spent too long trying to get D2D to sell me the darn game, I would be working for less than minimum wage.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Shadowmere is back:
    shadowmere.png

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:
    Shadowmere is back:
    shadowmere.png

Oh hey, actually looks unique unlike in Oblivion.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hmmm I dunno how I feel about that Nord battlecry ability. All it means is i'd have to chase them down to hit them with my massive sword.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly...I usually forget about active personal skills after a while.

Like Redguard's AR is pretty good. But there are so few times that I actually feel the need to activate it that I completely forget its there.

Most of the time I just use it when I need the extra carry weight.

• Options
    DogarDogar Registered User new member
    Aistan wrote:
    Hmmm I dunno how I feel about that Nord battlecry ability. All it means is i'd have to chase them down to hit them with my massive sword.

I imagine it'd be quite useful if they were beating your ass and you needed a moment to heal yourself up

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    What the heck, Nords get a bonus to speech now?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    From all that yelling.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Also maybe to simulate the fact that hey, Nords are FROM Skyrim.

They'll probably have an easier time communicating etc. with others of their race.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Ashdrake wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I'm trying to find videos of Skyrim that don't get taken down after like 5 minutes.

http://www.gameanyone.com/video/358609

Re posting the lets play link. 8 half hour vids.
    This person is horrible and makes these pretty unwatchable

• Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    Ashdrake wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I'm trying to find videos of Skyrim that don't get taken down after like 5 minutes.

This man is literally taking every possible measure to make the worse LP possible.

Why am I watching it?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I love when he casually disregards valuable items with nothing more than "nah".

• Options
    Yeah. I had to stop watching the LP just because he wasn't taking everything in the kitchen sink.

I mean...he still had more than half his carry weight and he was just leaving stuff lying around.

• Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Yeah. I had to stop watching the LP just because he wasn't taking everything in the kitchen sink.

I mean...he still had more than half his carry weight and he was just leaving stuff lying around.

Heh. I love reading comments like this. I don't think anyone can do a great job of a lets play for any TES. I think it's because there are so many ways to play the games. Watching someone else do it can just seem wrong because it is so different from how any number of people play. There is nothing wrong with this guys LP, it's just how he rolls in Bethesda's worlds. It's just not how you leave your footprint in their world.

I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    ...That's what I said.

He plays the game a way I don't and it kind of annoyed me. So I didn't want to watch it.

• Options
    kouri1977kouri1977 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...That's what I said.

He plays the game a way I don't and it kind of annoyed me. So I didn't want to watch it.

That's exactly why I enjoy watching this guy play. He really blunders through the came saying dumb things all the time. It's hilarious.

• Options
    Sleepwalker9Sleepwalker9 Registered User regular
    Watching my friend play New Vegas is the most frustrating thing for me. He kills everyone, skips plot dialogue, hardly loots, always takes the most random perks and always has a mishmash of armor and weapons.

And still, it's his way of playing the game, and he has fun with it.

Xbox Live: Reborn9
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    I did not mean to single you out. I have heard countless comments on every stream or video. I love it. I don't mean to make it sound like a bad thing. It just shows how great of a job that Bethesda did giving everyone such a distinct experience in these games. Watching someone else doing it can just seem wrong because it differs from your personal experience. I think that feeling is something special that the series has given us. I personally can't wait to interact with the world in my way and it differs from anything I have seen so far.

I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    kouri1977 wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...That's what I said.

That's exactly why I enjoy watching this guy play. He really blunders through the came saying dumb things all the time. It's hilarious.

Meh. I honestly didn't care about the stuff he was saying, I thought his enthusiasm was cool honestly.

I just had to wonder why one wouldn't take all the loot of worth they could. You're going to sell it anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    There's only like 5 days left, what's the point in watching gameplay videos..

• Options
    That's like asking what's the point of posting on an internet forum for a game that isn't even out yet.

Hype, that's why.

But honestly...after watching a bit of livestream for Skyrim I came to the conclusion that...these games aren't really all that fun to watch.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    tyrannus wrote:
    Ashdrake wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

I never actually thought an early preview would be this bad. But holy shit. This is actually mitigating my hype.

This guy talks like how I imagine Dilbert must talk.

Also:

NPC: "It's a bear. We might want to try sneaking by THE BEAR. Just in case, though, here's a bow, you might be able to deal with THE BEAR."

Player: "I ain't doing no sneaking!"" *Takes out greatsword.* "Wait, let me try this bow? I have a bow?"

"Take this!"

*Shoots the bear.*

"Ohhh----It's a bear!" (In surprise.)

I didn't think it was feasibly possible to be that inattentive and stupid.

Archonex on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Arthil wrote:
    Don't buy it on Steam.

I know le-GASP! But seriously, buy it on Direct2Drive. Steamworks, you get a key to put in anyway, and it's like $7 cheaper.

Good tip. Assuming they can get the keys out so people can pre-load.

Whoever is making the next OP should include this information.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    A bear there was,
    A bear, A BEAR!
    All black and brown,
    And covered with hair!
    Oh come they said,
    Oh come to the fair!
    The fair? said he,
    But I'm a bear!
    All black and brown,
    And covered in hair!

Sorry, just couldn't help it. I'm probably going to play this game as if I were in a George Martin book.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Even if you didn't get to preload, 6 gb isn't much.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    It basically comes down to getting to play it Thursday night or not.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular

How is it so small, any how? Is the rest of the game already on our hard drives?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

How is it so small, any how? Is the rest of the game already on our hard drives?

Beautiful art assets take up a whole helluva' lot of space. Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2 and Rage are so big because of them. Skyrim isn't even in the same category of gorgeous. It doesn't look bad, of course -- the environments and people look much better than Oblivion -- but it still runs the same engine and it's made of refinements, not leaps and revolutions in technology.

Oblivion was only about 4.6GB. Skyrim's game world is about the same size, but you take that engine and makes some improvements and you've got 6GB. It's still going to have hundreds of hours of content, though, don't you worry.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Archonex wrote:
    NPC: "It's a bear. We might want to try sneaking by THE BEAR. Just in case, though, here's a bow, you might be able to deal with THE BEAR."

Player: "I ain't doing no sneaking!"" *Takes out greatsword.* "Wait, let me try this bow? I have a bow?"

"Take this!"

*Shoots the bear.*

"Ohhh----It's a bear!" (In surprise.)

I didn't think it was feasibly possible to be that inattentive and stupid.

You've never meet some of my under-grads.

Zafina on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    UYY8i.jpg

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That should go into the OP. Also, freed up some space on the hard drive for the game. There is a handy freeware program called WinDirStat that easily shows what is taking up space.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Yao Guai and Deathclaws should make cameos in an Elder Scrolls game.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Has anyone made a new thread yet? Don't want to lose the OP to a lock.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm still watching this lets play, and I have to say, I like how even the NPC's seem to not be able to stand this guy. He just pissed off a village so badly, that he was just chased out of the village by two women wielding carving knives, and one beardy looking Nord who called him a coward and "not a True Nord" for running away from a bunch of unarmored angry women who were using cooking utensils as weaponry.

They ended up chasing him like half a mile, screaming curiously accented threats and insults at him (and occasionally shanking him in the kidneys and back with the carving knives) until he managed to cross some extremely large and frothy looking rapids.

Apparently that, and the fact that the Nord was busy protecting the two women from a pack of wolves (Water actually has a current now, and you can get caught in it, from looking at it, to the point where you can get swept downstream/over a waterfall. Of which there were several small ones at these rapids. He just hopped over the river, carefully jumping from rock to rock.) dissuaded them from pursuing any further.

The NPC's just stood there at the river bank, screaming obscenities at him while the LPer smarmly prepared to shoot one of the unarmed women with an arrow as pay-back----until a wolf suddenly pounced on him from behind, and tried to tear his throat out.

Meanwhile, he will not shut up with the frat boy commentary and gawking verbally at every tiny little item like it's the second coming of Richard Garriot.

Truly, this shall be the most epic LP ever. I can see why some people think it's unintentionally funny.

All that being said, this game has convinced me that it's going to be the best thing likely to come out this year. The sheer comedy value of watching some doofus try to gallantly stumble his way through the gameworld should make for some great LP's alone.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    harvest wrote:
    Has anyone made a new thread yet? Don't want to lose the OP to a lock.

I'll put it up if you don't mind.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Do it Dashui.

B6yM5w2.gif
This discussion has been closed.