As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW][CHAT] Patch 4.3 updated on PTR. Did your class get nerfed? InQQuire inside.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've only seen 3 of the fights so far but so far being melee doesn't seem too terrible. Beth is okay, we had our melee get up on the web, which was easy, and ranged stick around at the bottom. Shannox didn't seem to favor either, really, except when Rageface runs way far away to rage someones face, and the only thing that sucks about Rhyolith is his stomp, but you can actually jump it to avoid the damage, though its consistency seems spotty

Javen on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    I've only seen 3 of the fights so far but so far being melee doesn't seem too terrible. Beth is okay, we had our melee get up on the web, which was easy, and ranged stick around at the bottom. Shannox didn't seem to favor either, really, except when Rageface runs way far away to rage someones face, and the only thing that sucks about Rhyolith is his stomp, but you can actually jump it to avoid the damage, though its consistency seems spotty

It's more the trash that give that feeling, though on Rhyolith and Bethtilac melee can't DPS some adds effectively.

The pyrelord packs, surgers, scorpion packs, and turtles all have fuck melee abilities.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think the quest structure in the BC zones was better, too. I have to think there's a happy medium between 50 disconnected quests spread all over the place and the "on rails" quest lines they're doing in cata.

The "on rails" linear design of Cata zones is a direct result of their phasing tech. It was great...the first time. After that it starts to grate on my nerves because I don't like doing things the same way twice. Unfortunately because of the phasing stuff it's a lot harder(or impossible) to skip parts of a zone you don't like.

Poketpixie on
    edited July 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

It's more the trash that give that feeling, though on Rhyolith and Bethtilac melee can't DPS some adds effectively.

The pyrelord packs, surgers, scorpion packs, and turtles all have fuck melee abilities.

We set our melee up as the turners, and have the ranged switch to help if we need it. We also have them hit Beth up top, after the tank and healer climb up

Javen on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had 5k JP ready to spend on patch day.

Anyone who didn't have enough to buy at least one tier piece either weren't paying attention or were incredibly lazy.

One tier piece. Or maybe two.

That will barely change your dps, survivability or hps.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    "Daddy, shouldn't PUG members be a little easier to heal and do a little more dps now that their JP and Honor buys the next tier of items?"

"Why, yes Virginia. They very much should."

"What the fuck, Daddy? What the fuck?

"I know dear. I know."
    Annnnnnnd scene...

That said, I sure do like the beginning's of pug raiding on servers. I find it a hilarious and frustrating and sometimes even fun endeavor.

You know what, fuck that entire nonsense concept you've got in your head.

Firelands has been out for a few DAYS, so how many people saved up 4000 JP/Honor and bought tier items that didn't have them?
    Anyone who's been playing since release and not raiding regularly?

Seriously, 4k JP is a joke to obtain if you're grinding out Heroics for Valor. I bought every cloth heirloom and still had just short of 4k JP post-patch (converted a smidge of honor into JP to get two off-spec pieces.)

Salvation122 on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Anyone who didn't have enough to buy at least one tier piece either weren't paying attention or were incredibly lazy.

In this thread set bonuses are totally irrelevant

Salvation122 on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Its easy to get Justice points. Dont discount normal runs they are quicker and pure justice points. Then heroic runs give a bunch. Even on a VP heroic run you get 225 points.

Jubal77 on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

In this thread set bonuses are totally irrelevant

In this thread someone posted a faux conversation about how all pug raid members should be amazing now because of a few new pieces of gear.

I'm sorry for being pedantic here but no one should be expecting everyone to be awesome now and even pug raids made from /2 to be faceroll just because of a few equipment changes and some raid nerfs.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm curious about your comp.

But anyway, the "fuck melee" design generally refers to the fact that having more than, say, 5-6 melee DPS ends up being a liability in raids.

Edit:

And yeah, as others have pointed out, the trash so far is a HUGE fuck you to melee.

forty on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    The "on rails" linear design of Cata zones is a direct result of their phasing tech. It was great...the first time. After that it starts to grate on my nerves because I don't like doing things the same way twice. Unfortunately because of the phasing stuff it's a lot harder(or impossible) to skip parts of a zone you don't like.
    Did y'all play TBC when TBC first appeared ? Quests are distributed across the Outland zones like they threw darts at the map, and back in the days when you couldn't fly before Level 70, that meant you needed to ride out to find them, usually chased by a flash mob of demon vultures and acid-spitting worms. If you were real lucky they'd dismount and daze you and chew you into kibble, after which you'd have a corpse run from the poorly placed graveyard at the other end of the zone, and this was before they gave out the universal fast corpse-run speed. Woo hoo.

I find the on-rails questing in CATACLYSM to be a huge improvement.

Fairchild on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Buddies wrote: »
    Arryn wrote: »
    How are those pulls actually supposed to work? We couldn't figure out how to get the armor off them, so we wound up just focusing down the pyrelords, then slowly grinding down the minions.

So the little guys are supposed to be tanked right on top of the Pyrelord. Every 20% health, he casts an ability called "Ignite" on one of the little guys, who loses the damage-reduction buff and then starts doing lots of AOE on the raid. The idea being, the DPS should switch to w/ever lil guy has the Ignite, and burn him down quick. Pyrelord should really die last.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

The Pyrelord can be stunned, silenced and interrupted(I think). And killed too quickly. Supposively 80%, 60%, and 40%, or 80-40-20, he ignites one of the little dudes. Just do a nice slow controlled kill.

So we found this out last night, but I think the way it works is kind of confusing. I never saw the pyrelord cast ingite on the adds. I did, however, see him cast it on players. I think the players are then supposed to hit the little adds, which breaks their shield. Unfortunately, we kind of pieced it together after we'd killed all of the packs, so we didn't get a chance to test it.

This is what we thought we were supposed to do, but it didn't work.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited July 2011
    This is what we thought we were supposed to do, but it didn't work.
    Yeah, those packs were broken by something Blizzard did post-patch. They were working correctly on Tuesday and (I think) Wednesday, but were screwed up last night.

forty on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is kind of two pages ago, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

So yeah Stars cleared heroic modes by exploiting the system and resetting their raid lock. Obviously lots of people are on both sides of it (blah blah it's cheating blah blah no it's fair good for them) so it's kind of a grey area...

Regardless, Stars lost any and all credibility from me when I saw they did that, for one simple reason. They were complaining about being upset about guilds like Paragon/Method/etc using "exploits" (quote marks because grey area) to get boss kills in T11. ...And then they do a complete 180 turn and do this.

I don't care about the technical aspects of whether it was cheating or if it wasn't anymore, cause that's such hypocrisy coming from them.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    edited July 2011
    Grobian wrote: »
    Not only raiding on patch day, but getting Heroic world firsts on patch day: Stars (Chinese guild playing on a TW server) cleared the normal mode of Firelands, then faction changed (thereby resetting their raid ID) and killed Shannox heroic.

Obviously tons of people crying "exploit", but personally I applaud them for their creativity.
    It's hard to call it creativity when people were doing it in WotLK.

forty on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dibby wrote: »
    Regardless, Stars lost any and all credibility from me when I saw they did that, for one simple reason. They were complaining about being upset about guilds like Paragon/Method/etc using "exploits" (quote marks because grey area) to get boss kills in T11. ...And then they do a complete 180 turn and do this.
    But after the 180, did they 180 back and are still upset about it ("It's only okay when we do it") or did they just change their minds and stance on it ("We didn't like it, but if they can get away with it, then fair's fair")?

SabreMau on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ugh

I must have missed some dailies since I only have 39 marks and some people have 43.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's been 4 days.

First 3 days:
    12+4+4 = 20
    -20 +15 + 8 + 2 = 25

Day 4:
    25+14=39

That's how many I have and I don't think you can have anymore unless something happened with world server outages that somehow reset the quests.

GooseyGoose on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    ugh

I must have missed some dailies since I only have 39 marks and some people have 43.

I have 39 as well, and I'm really not sure where I would have missed any potential sources, I've been pretty thorough.

Also re: STARS race changing to get ahead in the heroic race, according to mmo-champion heroic mode FL has been disabled in all regions until next week's maintenance.

Emporium on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Skeith wrote: »
    Our boomkin spent about 95% of our Ryolith kill offline. I could not stop laughing for about 2 minutes when I realized that that burning bastard was going to die.

In 10-man, I assume? How in the blue fuck did you have enough DPS to handle the adds and get him down short a caster? Are you guys running in mostly T11 Heroic gear?

I really have no idea. We got lucky with volcano placement, but it was friggin dicey with a few of them; like, a little more to the left or right and it would've been a wipe, no question. I was swinging back and forth between legs and adds, with a mage and rogue full time on the feet (the rogue was our only melee). If you want an idea of our gear, most of us are around the lower 360s.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    so uh, I'm levelling proffs for the first time since TBC... Can I only get 1 cooking award a day?

Occasionally the northern spice bag will have some in there, but basically.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited July 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    so uh, I'm levelling proffs for the first time since TBC... Can I only get 1 cooking award a day?

Occasionally the northern spice bag will have some in there, but basically.

very rarely the fishing treasures bag has a quest for 10 more.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I believe there was a some exploit or something that allowed people to double down on the Hyjal dailies before going to the firelands which is why some people have 43 and the rest have 39.

Opty on
    edited July 2011
    shit you don't want to find out on raid night: your guild's vent uses a codec incompatible with the mac version

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Grobian wrote: »
    Not only raiding on patch day, but getting Heroic world firsts on patch day: Stars (Chinese guild playing on a TW server) cleared the normal mode of Firelands, then faction changed (thereby resetting their raid ID) and killed Shannox heroic.

Obviously tons of people crying "exploit", but personally I applaud them for their creativity.

It's not really creative, that shit has been going on since faction and server transfers started. It was rampant in ToC and ICC which is why I thought (?) they stopped any sort of transfer from resetting IDs. On one hand, people are free to spend their cash as they see fit, but on the other hand that stuff can rapidly destroy server economies when you have guild-fuls of people x-fering in and dumping BoEs and shit before they xfer off again. A few guilds on our server pretty much destroyed our economy when they faction changed every 3 days in ICC to farm frost badges when it was gated.

Bikkstah on
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This seems worth mentioning here as well. Basically, the majority of the terrain of the Firelands raid is actually also present just east of the Molten Front, uninstanced. Through clever use of my trusty rocket boots, my dashing cape, and some painstaking experimentation on trajectory that left my body in the abyss and my ghost in the Barrens several times, I found a way over there.

As it turns out, it's not just terrain. There are also a whole lot of mobs there, the same sort that you find within the Molten Flow. And there's also an Alliance party. An Alliance raid group, actually, replete with all the trappings thereof, including a feast, a flask cauldron, and a mage table. They are <Wrynn's Raiders>:

- Garl Grimgrizzle, the dwarf hunter who is constantly <Away>, and his pet Bubbles the wolf.
    - Danric, the human paladin who wears full Tier 1 and cannot ever stop dancing.
    - Peach, the human priest who jumps forward and back over and over and over.
    - Dethbringer, the predictably named worgen death knight who insists on flexing every twenty seconds.
    - Victoria, the also predictably named worgen warlock who refuses to stand up.
    - Raena, the gnome mage who bounces even more than the priest.
    - Aoewyn, the draenei shaman with the required Lord of the Rings reference.
    - Cuddles, the gnome warrior who bounces just as much as the mage but insists he looks manly while doing so.
    - Tolv, the human warrior who cynically wears his title of "The Impatient" while staring down the rest of the raid.
    - Astrylian, the mysterious druid who never leaves bear form and often speaks in /say.

rLN1Ql.jpg

There's plenty of other odd things scattered around that area as well, but Wrynn's Raiders have got to be the main attraction.

Now I have to wonder whether there's a path up to Ragnaros's throne without the bridge.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Two things that happened tonight:

One, what the fuck?

zle3Y.jpg

Two, three DKs using DS on Zanzil fire at the same time:
    2L90N.jpg

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Please tell me one of the NPCs summoned the Image of Vargoth.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alas, no. That is mine. He appears in all of my exploration shots, dating back to 2007.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Haha amazing find Saeris, thanks for posting.

Panda4You on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My god why do they keep nerfing the vendor price of gems

INeedNoSalt on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Heh, those Wrynn's Raiders reference several things really in the game. The hunter stands around in SW, seems like like the druid have lost his Astrylian's Sutured Cinch to ProfessorPutricide and the dancing paladin is a dalaran npc.

Panda4You on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Why the fuck does the launcher keep showing up for me when I have "Show Launcher" unchecked?

JustinSane07 on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love looking at wowprogress.com just to see how guilds are doing even if I haven't raided in years lol but anyway. One thing I've noticed is how fast people hundreds have killed rag and how slow the almost 24000 guilds that have killed Nefarion have been progressing. You'd think the 24000 guilds who nefarion in T11 would have at least 1 boss kill but no.

Beth'tilac: 2278 (74.54%)
    Lord Rhyolith: 1527 (49.97%)
    Alysrazor: 782 (25.59%)
    Shannox: 2697 (88.25%)
    Baleroc: 897 (29.35%)
    Majordomo: 596 (19.50%)
    Ragnaros: 353 (11.55%)

I don't know why I love looking at statistics and people's progress through raids and comparing them to last tier.

sumwar on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The guild I just joined has cleared all of the last tier normal modes a couple of hard mode bosses, but we didn't down anything in the eight hours we spent in Firelands this week; we got Beth'tilac to about 20% in Phase 2 last night, and we just managed to get Rhyolith to Phase 2 the night before.

The night we worked on Rhyolith, we weren't even able to try Beth, her mechanics were disconnecting people.

We also wiped on Shannox a bunch, I imagine because our strat was awful (trying to distance tank the boss and the one dog, while having all DPS on Rageface (which was a pain because we had more melee DPS than ranged ... ) and we weren't even bother to try using the crystal traps to slow the dog down on getting the spear back

what do I know, I'm just DPS, but it wasn't working

INeedNoSalt on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd bet virtually all the people who have killed Rag already have had weeks of practice on the bosses on the PTR. Comparing them to people who are in Firelands for the actual first time hardly seems appropriate.

-SPI- on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wth? I just decided to start doing Hyjal Dailies on my Paladin, and unlocked the 2nd tier the first day?

Edit: Just tried on my Hunter, the opening quests now give 6 & 10 marks, the first round of dailies give 4 so you do end up getting 20 and unlocking the 2nd tier immediately now.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited July 2011
    The guild I just joined has cleared all of the last tier normal modes a couple of hard mode bosses, but we didn't down anything in the eight hours we spent in Firelands this week; we got Beth'tilac to about 20% in Phase 2 last night, and we just managed to get Rhyolith to Phase 2 the night before.

The night we worked on Rhyolith, we weren't even able to try Beth, her mechanics were disconnecting people.

We also wiped on Shannox a bunch, I imagine because our strat was awful (trying to distance tank the boss and the one dog, while having all DPS on Rageface (which was a pain because we had more melee DPS than ranged ... ) and we weren't even bother to try using the crystal traps to slow the dog down on getting the spear back

what do I know, I'm just DPS, but it wasn't working

Aside from us actually using the frost traps, that was pretty much our strat for Shannox as well. Everyone hit Rageface at the start, trying to run him over as many fire traps as possible to keep the stage as clear as possible, and had one tank on Shannox and the other on Riplimb.

The fight becomes a lot easier when you realize that, if you clear the trash, your room to fight the boss is huge. If you find the place is becoming too cluttered, just move him.

The fight is much more about situational awareness than it is pattern recognition.

Javen on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    sumwar wrote: »
    I love looking at wowprogress.com just to see how guilds are doing even if I haven't raided in years lol but anyway. One thing I've noticed is how fast people hundreds have killed rag and how slow the almost 24000 guilds that have killed Nefarion have been progressing. You'd think the 24000 guilds who nefarion in T11 would have at least 1 boss kill but no.

Beth'tilac: 2278 (74.54%)
    Lord Rhyolith: 1527 (49.97%)
    Alysrazor: 782 (25.59%)
    Shannox: 2697 (88.25%)
    Baleroc: 897 (29.35%)
    Majordomo: 596 (19.50%)
    Ragnaros: 353 (11.55%)

I don't know why I love looking at statistics and people's progress through raids and comparing them to last tier.
    There is a step filter, I think, called "did you raid on the ptr?"

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So all my friends on my current server left again, after transferring back and forth from ravenholdt...is the Ravenholdt guild still around? Will probably jump back permanently.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
This discussion has been closed.