Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
How do I find a job?
AistanTiny BatConsidering your offerRegistered Userregular
So, i'm 27 years old and i've never had a permanent, full-time job. I've had quite a few jobs through temp agencies since I graduated from college, but since none of them ever had a chance of leading to an employment opportunity with the contracting company I feel like I really need to find something stable now. My most recent contract ended about a month ago, and since the head of the department seemed to have a personal issue with me I doubt i'll be called back when they start hiring people on again.
This leaves me scouring the job listings, but for most Seattle-area ones within 60 miles of my current location there are 0 entry level openings. I have a degree in Environmental Planning and Policy, but all jobs I see in that field require several years of experience.
I'm pretty much at my wit's end here. I would prefer to stay in this area, since moving to another location in the hopes that I find a job after I get there seems like a bad idea.
Here's my resume, just in case anyone wants to point out anything mind-blowingly terrible about it.
Name, address, contact info, etc went here.
Western Washington University
Dec 2006: B.A. in Environmental Planning and Policy
Western Washington University
Study Abroad Project for Planning Majors Spring 2006
- Researched the feasibility of redeveloping the town of Old Farsa, Greece, composed of 100 households, which had been destroyed in a 1953 earthquake.
- Began mapping of the old town site to begin the design process for rebuilding.
- Presented hour-long final report to Farsa community, including a speech to over 50 people.
Proficient in Mac and PC; MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator. Small and Large format printer operation. Image scanning. Software testing.
Parker Staffing Services, Contracting for Nintendo of America Redmond, WA.
Sept. 2010-Dec. 2010, Mar. 2011-May 2011
- Assisted in debug testing of games for various Nintendo console platforms.
- Submitted bug reports and bug reproduction instructions.
US Census Bureau
May 2010-June 2010
- Recieved training in Census rules and regulations.
- Traveled door-to-door collecting Census data.
- Compiled data and performed follow-up meetings to verify data validity.
Xversity, Contracting for Nintendo of America Redmond, WA.
- Tested the final builds of over 100 games as a check for NOA programming guideline compliance prior to release.
- Recieved training in lotcheck testing procedures and related tasks.
- Submitted bug reports and bug reproduction instructions formatted to NOA Programming Guideline requirements.
Xversity, Contracting for Costco Issaquah, WA.
- Collected and parsed hardware and operating system metrics for all computers at corporate headquarters.
- Averaged 15 computer refreshes per day for the refresh phase.
- Imaged new computers and installed custom programs for out of warranty machines.
- Recorded and cataloged hard drives for physical storage.
- Performed on-site diagnoses of computers. Identified and tracked computers that were sent out for repair.
Huxley College of the Environment Map Library Bellingham, WA.
- Located and restocked topographical map collections.
- Organized aerial photo collection.
- Operated scanner and large format printer.
Redmond Regional Library Redmond, WA.
- Assisted Librarians with various tasks.
- Reshelved collection.
- Attended various training programs related to library tasks.