Options

Moving to Atlanta, need advice!

QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, just graduated, just got a job offer that I took at Emory, so yay!
Now the scary part, I need to move to Atlanta in just a few weeks. I'm not too far away, just in North Carolina, but I know little about the area.

From reading what I think I have learned is I am not party enough to live in bucktown, and little five points with its dive bars sounds appealing. Please please school me on Atlanta neighborhoods, in particular if there are any I do NOT want to live in. (As in bad side of town, etc.)

What I can't seem to figure out is:

How reliable is the metro/bus system? Is there a cost effective option to commute this way?

There do not seem to be collegy/grad studenty areas around Emory...but this can't be right, can it?

I realize Emory is outside the perimeter, but how bad is it really to get between the two? I do think I'd rather live in the city, being 22 and digging concerts and restaurants/bars.

How scammy is Promove apartment finding services? I'm sure they are paid commissions by the apartment they can get me into, but they seem ok to at least talk to and help me scout areas.

All help/advice is appreciated!

QuantumTurk on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I used ProMove and will likely use them again next time I move.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I live in Marietta, which is about 35 minutes north of Atlanta. Nice area. Add another 10 minutes to that drive and you are in Kennesaw, a beautiful city with some great shopping.

Cost of living around here is decent. One bedroom apartments that are decent probably start around $600 a month.

tardcore on
  • Options
    dacount97dacount97 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you are working at Emory, you probably don't want to commute from Marietta or Kennesaw, although they are nice. You probably want to be looking around Decatur. Downtown Decatur is really nice, and I think you can find a place in the area for not too much $$ (students have to live somewhere).

I know ppl use MARTA, but I only use it when I'm going somewhere and don't want to deal w/ driving (Braves Game, Beer Fests, etc) Haven't ridden on the bus system, only the rails.

*CLARIFICATION* I am going off of Emory University, which is definitely INSIDE the perimeter. If you are working at some other location of Emory, disregard what I said. I do live in North Atlanta, so if you can clarify where it is that you will be working, I might be able to help more.

dacount97 on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MARTA gets kicked around a lot, but it's actually in the process of turning into a decent form of public transportation. Naturally, it's at its busiest in the morning and in the late afternoon.

Toldo on
  • Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Decatur is okay, it's an up-and-coming kind of area. My girlfriend lives there and likes it well enough. East Atlanta/Old Fourth Ward area sounds like it would suit you well - similar vibe to Decatur just a little closer in to downtown. I live in Buckhead right now and if I were to relocated within the city I'd start looking in East Atlanta first. Promove is okay, they won't scam you or anything but I had better luck finding a place I liked on my own. The 'bad' parts of Atlanta are spotty, so just check specific areas you are looking at, but I'd say generally avoid the south-western quadrant of the city, and you probably want to stay north of I-20.

Jinn on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, which Emory location are you going to be working at? The main campus is definitely ITP (in the Perimeter), so if you are OTP our suggestions would be really different.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    L5P is really nice place to chill and shop, but it's hella-overpriced. Also overpriced as shit! ITP people constantly rag on people who live OTP but it's not bad.

Would you like a list of places you should check out when you get here?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A list would be fantastic, and I'll be working near the hospital (biomedical research) so main campus I guess? Looking at a map, I was completely misinterpreting what the perimiter was, so good to know I'm in the downtown area. I've always lived in suburbia, and think going more urban is something I'd like to try, it's a good time for me as well. Then again, the cover of this weeks nature is about stress related diseases from urban living....but psh, what do scientists know? I could deal with either an apartment or renting a house, I likely will not be in the market to buy, this job is just to bulk the resume for grad school and put away some cash.

Part of me thinks that I want a studio style apartment, if I go the apt route, any caveats to that I have not thought of, so long as I live solo?

I think I'm seeing some good stuff in and around virginia highlands (kitchens and having a washer/dryer are priorities for me as well), any knowledge of the area?

Thanks for all the advice already! It's just a lot of choices to make on what will never seem like enough information, all this is hugely helpful.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Venues:
    The Earl-
    Great little bar and venue. I've seen some awesome shows here and they have pretty decent priced beer, and a dammed good burger.

The Tabernacle-
    this is probably my favorite mid-level venue in atlanta. Right in the heart of downtown, it's an old converted church. Try your best to ignore the paint flaking off the roof and enjoy the beautiful acoustics and architecture.

Variety Playhouse-
    this place is my favorite venue in atlanta. Everything about it is amazing, from the acoustics, to the staff, to the seating. Also has decently priced beer and snacks.

Grub
    (sadly most of the places i eat in atlanta are in L5p, so my list is p. biased)
    The Vortex-
    An amazing restraunt that has locations in midtown and in l5p's. You might have to wait to get a seat but the food is worth it. Amazing burgers with a drink list that is second to none. They also have a pretty great bike night if you like taking that sort of thing in.

savage pizza-
    A comic book nerds delight! wall to wall action figures and comic book stuff with delightful artisian pizza. Get the Cajun and thank me afterwords.

Fellini's-
    Decent cheap pizza. A good time with every bite! Also there's a location down the street from the clairmont lounge!

Other stuff:

Peidmont Park-
    A wonderful little green space with tons of paths and a pool. A great way to spend a saturday.

Starlight Drive-In-
    The oldest Drive-In in Georgia, six screens during the summer with double features all year round. 8 bucks and bring in all the snacks and drinks you want.

The Plaza Theater-
    A great revival theater that plays RHPS and The room. Fucking awesome.

Clairmont Longe-
    Where strippers go to die. It's fucking awful in the best way possible. Also you can see a lady crush cans with her boobies.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I live in Ansley Mall area, about 7-15mins away from Emory Main Campus depending on traffic. It is a good area to live in... I pay 800 a month in rent and have quick access to I-85. What is the price range you are looking for?

You could also find a place to rent around Emory. I have seen some homes with 'Rent' signs in front within walking distance of campus. Decatur is also a good place to live, but there are some sketchier places in its borders. Basically, the closer to I-20 you are, the sketchier it will be. Decatur is basically a small town inside the perimeter.

East Atlanta, Grant Park, and Inman Park have been gentrified within the past ten years. Don't live in Kirkwood. I would avoid L5P for renting since its touristy.

Don't live south of I-20, at least until you have been here awhile and learned the areas.

If you do decide to live further away from Emory, driving in to work will suck in the morning. Just because many students will be driving in as well. And hospital staff. And CDC workers.

Taterskin on