Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

why do you hurt me, school

24567101

Posts

  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    took a number of classes at 0830 and the only problem with them was at the time the rest of my courses were in the evening

    and I commutted

  • DubhDubh "FLÄSHYN!" Y.V.'s mansionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I should attempt to read Atlas Shrugged at some point, just to be more educated in my dislike of Rand's political philosophy. For God's sake, I managed to slog through the Ender's Game series. This is, what, the next step up?


    As for school, I'm almost done with my summer classes. One more week, and Physical Anthropology is finished! My other six units ended last Thursday, thank god.

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have had 8:00 or 8:30s almost every day of college. More recently because I need to clear past noonish so I can work and maybe feed myself. I should really give a look at what classes I stumbled into next semester. I don't remember at all. Then again, it is my D=Diploma semester.

  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    but earlier than 8am is a no go for me
    I can be present in class but I will be incapable of learning

  • MarthMarth Contemplative Kermit Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    At my school there are some 7 ams. Just... why?

    Steam Xbox Live LoL: SadSchaub
  • SeriouslySeriously ˈpɛrɪ ˌdɒt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    8AM weren't for me, I know because I had quite a few. It probably would have been different if any of them had be interesting.

    iq16sKi.png
  • DubhDubh "FLÄSHYN!" Y.V.'s mansionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    God, I've been done with pre-8am classes since high school. No fucking more.

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm done with work by the time kosh rolls out of bed

    get a job, hippie!

  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Early morning classes own cuz ya done early.

    jkZziGc.png
  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    afternoon classes own because you're actually awake & not just slumping over your desk & laptop praying for the class to end

  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    will aren't you taking some hellish 4 hour long math class like right now

    mate you are crazy

  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    a four hour long class
    jesus
    only thing that should be that long is labs

  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    will aren't you taking some hellish 4 hour long math class like right now

    mate you are crazy

    Only 3 hours!

    jkZziGc.png
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am not enjoying summer classes.

  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

    jkZziGc.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damn Orik, you gotta read Atlas Shrugged?

    I would suggest you just not do the project instead. Drop the class if you need to.

    optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just talk about how the equivalent tragedy in Atlas Shrugged is that Atlas Shrugged was ever written.

    :^:

    Also, damn it, I got an A- in Accounting 1B :x

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

    or did you work hard and thought you got a higher grade

  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wish I had signed up for the summer classes now. Waking up to a dinky house throbbing with people that never leave and insist on doing everything together and being unable to go anywhere anyway because it is like 100 fucking degrees out is about as fun as summer school so I could have been getting credits instead.

    2 more months, I can soldier on. Unless I die of heatstroke. Fucking Valley weather, always 10 degrees worse.

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

    or did you work hard and thought you got a higher grade

    Well, the main reason I am frustrated is that A minuses do lower our GPA, and it is entirely dependent upon the teacher whether to assign pluses and minuses or just straight grades. So what would have been an A - and a 4.0 - with another teacher was a A- and a 3.75 with this teacher

    The second reason is the grade was as a result of multiple-answer questions, which I hate (and have attacked plenty in the previous school threads). I feel that had I been tested on my actual knowledge then, yes, I would have received an A

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My Intro to Creative Writing class was at 9:30, but I had to get up at about 8:00 every morning to make the commute.

    It didn't help that I usually stayed up until about 3:00 in the morning on most nights.

    2cf4m6f.gif
  • DubhDubh "FLÄSHYN!" Y.V.'s mansionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Janson wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

    or did you work hard and thought you got a higher grade

    Well, the main reason I am frustrated is that A minuses do lower our GPA, and it is entirely dependent upon the teacher whether to assign pluses and minuses or just straight grades. So what would have been an A - and a 4.0 - with another teacher was a A- and a 3.75 with this teacher

    The second reason is the grade was as a result of multiple-answer questions, which I hate (and have attacked plenty in the previous school threads). I feel that had I been tested on my actual knowledge then, yes, I would have received an A

    A- should count the same as a regular A. Seriously, school, how many students actually put in that sort of effort? Don't fuck them over because a few honor students bitch over valedictorian status.

    Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Summah schoooooool!

    My final 3rd year course starts today.

    Selected museum exhibit survey course thing

    This semester, Caravaggio exhibit at the CNAG

    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    is
    is an A- a bad grade now

    or did you work hard and thought you got a higher grade

    Well, the main reason I am frustrated is that A minuses do lower our GPA, and it is entirely dependent upon the teacher whether to assign pluses and minuses or just straight grades. So what would have been an A - and a 4.0 - with another teacher was a A- and a 3.75 with this teacher

    The second reason is the grade was as a result of multiple-answer questions, which I hate (and have attacked plenty in the previous school threads). I feel that had I been tested on my actual knowledge then, yes, I would have received an A

    A- should count the same as a regular A. Seriously, school, how many students actually put in that sort of effort? Don't fuck them over because a few honor students bitch over valedictorian status.

    agreeing with this rather hard right now

    but also

    I'd rather they just report your damn percentage performance
    like, an 89 and 90 should not be worth 3 and 4 points respectively on a goddamn 4 point scale

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Agreed.

    The UK does not use a four-point scale, but then the UK also does not have a GPA of any kind. What I mean to say is, each subject is looked at individually. So your ineptitude at physics or math does not get a second glance if you're applying for an history degree or hoping to get a job in an history-related field

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    now that system makes at least one lick of sense

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The only requirements are that for almost any kind of further education beyond the age of 16, you are expected to attain at least a C grade in math, English lit, English lang, and at least two sciences, but those are really very easy

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ok I increasingly like that system
    you have to get at least a C in your major's classes here
    and you say multiple choice tests are a rarity?

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes they are.

    I know I've been over the UK school system before, but it was a while ago.

    What I remember of the school system in general (spoilered for long and boring):
    Spoiler:

    Marking:

    I suppose I may have had a couple of multiple-choice papers, but I can't remember if I did for certain. If I did, though, it certainly did not make up a significant percentage of my grade.

    Also: GCSEs and A-levels are standardized across the country! So, if you are in the south of England, you take exactly the same English paper, and it is sent away to be marked by exactly the same board of examiners, as an English paper written by someone from the north of England.

    It does mean you don't get your grades until 2 months after you have completed your exams, but IMO it's a MUCH fairer system. It means your A is the same as anyone else's A, it eliminates teacher favouritism, and it also allows for a better judge of teaching systems. For example, when two thirds of my Ancient History teacher's class got As, it wasn't because she was an easy grader, but because she was an excellent teacher who had prepared us well for the exams.

    Courses like history and geography are far more social based in the UK. For example, in our history exams we wrote in great detail about how past events/periods affected people, and we very rarely had to remember any specific dates of battles, etc.

    The BBC has a really great GCSE revision guide (of course, being web-based, the 'practice' tests are all multiple-choice, but they wouldn't be in the actual exam) that shows what is taught at secondary level:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/schools/gcsebitesize

    (Oh damn, I just looked at the current English Lit requirements and now I am so angry! Jane Eyre was not an option when I was at school! And I had to study The Tempest, which is an awful, awful play)

    I don't remember coursework making up more than 40% of my grade. Attendance does not factor into your grade at all (although it will affect you in other ways) and there are no chances for extra credit.

    Lots of writing in exams! In Ancient History we had to write four essays in three hours, phew!

    Also, exam taking is a LOT more stringent in the UK! For example, a cell phone going off = automatic failing. You have specific exam rooms - usually the PE halls, because you need to accommodate a whole year's worth of students in one place. Desks are scrubbed clean. You CANNOT enter before the teachers allow you to file in (in accounting, I saw one girl cheat by writing formulas on her desk before the teacher entered, and then covering it up with her pencil case). No pencil cases are allowed, unless they are see-through. Desks have to be a certain width apart (I've seen it measured) and 4+ teachers will be on duty, patrolling the rows of desks to ensure that no one is turning around or gesturing at their classmates.

    Foreign language exams are aural, oral and written.

    Oral exams for foreign language/music/drama are taped, so samples can be sent to the examining boards to ensure that teachers are marking fairly (they are also one instance where your teacher DOES mark you)

    Samples of coursework are also sent to the examining bodies, to ensure teachers are marking fairly

    A lot of the time, teachers are unable to tell you what specifically to be revising, because they themselves do not see the exam papers before you take them

    The only study notes ever permitted in any exam I took in the UK were ones we'd made in our books for English lit, and even then you can only really highlight a few select quotes, because the exam could ask you write an essay on anything!

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I swore off early morning classes after a hellish semester of sleeping through econometrics

  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Early morning classes rule, frees up the whole day

    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    well now I kinda wish I could/had do/done that

  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User
    edited July 2011
    yup

    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, there are benefits to the US system too!

    - More flexible, MUCH more flexible. Great for someone who works full-time, like me! Also, great for someone who has no idea what they want to do, or discovers they hate their chosen subject. Would've been much better for my mother, who had to re-do her years at sixth form in order to attain grades in the right subjects.

    - US grade boundaries are higher, which probably makes up for the many ways in which you can gain extra marks (i.e. through good attendance/extra credit assignments). UK exams may sound tougher, and in many ways they are, but the boundaries are lower to adjust for this - i.e. an A is usually 80%, and sometimes even 70-75%

    - US exposes you to a greater range of subjects; many subjects I haven't touched since I was 16, and some, like RE or drama, I haven't touched since I was 14. Also, it would've been really nice to have been able to take, say, a history or geography class to break up the monotony of architectural subjects

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Janson wrote: »
    UK exams may sound tougher, and in many ways they are, but the boundaries are lower to adjust for this - i.e. an A is usually 80%, and sometimes even 70-75%

    I had a few teachers in college who had different grade scales.
    Was so weird being elated at getting a 68%

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Haha, yes!

    My brother went to med school, my parents were both at veterinary school, and at those you are overjoyed to get above 40% (a passing grade).

    Oh - and another advantage of the US school system?

    US employers pretty much only recognise US degrees. :P It's tough, especially when nearly all UK degrees are only three years, and US employers often specifically state 'four years' required.

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The lab I'm teaching this summer has a maximum of 24 students.

    Started with 21 on my roster the first day of lab. Down to 10 students now from people not showing up/dropped/purged. I am happy with this result.

This discussion has been closed.