Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

why do you hurt me, school

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Orientation is over. During registration my computer browser conked and would not let me log in. I lost enough time that I could'nt get the classes I wanted. I still have enough credits but one class doesn't even count towards my gen ed requirements so I am not really happy about the class schedule I have. And everyone else in my orientation group got those classes I wanted :(

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Orientation is over. During registration my computer browser conked and would not let me log in. I lost enough time that I could'nt get the classes I wanted. I still have enough credits but one class doesn't even count towards my gen ed requirements so I am not really happy about the class schedule I have. And everyone else in my orientation group got those classes I wanted :(

It is essentially inevitable that someone will drop.

At my university there was a waitlist that you could put yourself on and when enough people dropped it would enroll you.

I would try doing this.

sig2.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Once I get home I will try doing that.

The day before when I saw the ancient, shitty looking laptops we had to use I said, "I feel like it will work against me."

but I thought the fritz-prone trackpad would do me in.

• Airking850Airking850 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    Airking850 wrote: »
    The first draft of my master's thesis should be done by the end of this week.

So excited.

What area of study?

Biomedical Engineering -> Bioinformatics -> Computational Mass Spectrometry

Applying for a PhD starting in the winter in the same topic / with the same supervisor, which is even more exciting!

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm starting my masters program in fall and everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to go for my PhD.

And I'm like fuck, can't I at least start the program first before I decide to dedicate myself to even more schooling.

gotsig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, are you?

344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sicarii wrote: »
    I'm starting my masters program in fall and everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to go for my PhD.

And I'm like fuck, can't I at least start the program first before I decide to dedicate myself to even more schooling.

No, this is unacceptable.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    The first draft of my master's thesis should be done by the end of this week.

So excited.

What area of study?

Biomedical Engineering -> Bioinformatics -> Computational Mass Spectrometry

Applying for a PhD starting in the winter in the same topic / with the same supervisor, which is even more exciting!

Protein work?

edited July 2011
    Yep, though I'm probably going to spend my PhD working with lipids. Tons of interesting research going on and the field has more virgin territory.

edited July 2011
    How do you get lipids to fly by mass spec?

edited July 2011
    Almost anything will fly in a mass spec, which adds an extra level of difficulty to analysis - you have to separate useful stuff from the floor cleaning product and someone's shampoo.

edited July 2011
    Sure, but you have to attach a charge somewhere on that thing and lipids are pretty greasy. The acid on the end is enough to get that to go in negative mode?

• FarthingFarthing Registered User
    edited July 2011
    i got my marks back and they were pretty good!
    3 HDs and a distinction (three 7s and a 6)

couldn't have done it without you, school thread.

edit: my avatar! nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Farthing on
  • DubhDubh DON'T SNEEZE The Tanker... FOREVERRegistered User regular
    Aaaaaand finished with summer school! Nine units of kicking ass (unless I bombed in my Anthro final and walked away with a C :-( )

Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Finished one of my summer classes with an A. Woo.

The other won't end until next week.

TheStig on
    the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Waiting on final unit marks not looking forward to it.

PixelMonkey on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    in half an hour i have to sign up for my courseload

last year when i clicked the button it yelled at me because apparently i never finished high school
    so i had to call the university and get everything sorted out

wonder what'll happen today

i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    I should maybe start studying for the FE

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    All I wanna do is cancel my registration.

That's it.

I'm outta here, Purdue.

So why the hell won't the registrar's office answer my phone calls? It's during business hours! I know there's someone there!

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    the euler-lagrange equation can go fuck itself with a rake

who the hell differentiates with respect to y'

a sadist, that is who

and then I lost track of the example in the textbook because I didn't notice it said that he squared the result for simplicity ha ha haaaaaaaa rgrlblrblr this is the first homework assignment of the semester fuck it fuck it fuck it

• PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    DES2102 Design Practices: Pre-press: CR (69)
    DES3206 Design Practices: Information and Advertising Design:D (74)
    GDT3103 Serious Gaming :CR (60)
    IMM3228 Project Management Methodology:C (59)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    did you

did you really get to take a course called "Serious Gaming"?

That. Owns.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    There's something about midnight that breaks down my writer's block like nothing else. All afternoon and evening I can't type one damn paragraph without it being completely wrong and awful but as soon as 12:00am hits - BAM - I can see the entire project with complete clarity. Everything makes sense and I can finish this in under an hour.

Why can't I tap into this at a time which doesn't inconvenience the hell out of me?

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    my fall classes own

although i am taking a 7-week saturday class as things stand right now. i think it'll be worth it to have one less thing come finals time, plus the topic is really interesting.

• AntimatterAntimatter if you want to talk to me look elsewhere.Registered User regular
    got a 4 on my AP Psych exam and a 5 on my AP English exam

feels good

• unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    got a 4 on my AP Psych exam and a 5 on my AP English exam

feels good

congrats!

i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • AsiinaAsiina Registered User regular
    Research blows. Hanging out at a children's museum all weekend trying to get kids to follow me to the basement so I can run experiments on them while I record it.

What's so difficult about that?

I just want this study to be finished.

• AntimatterAntimatter if you want to talk to me look elsewhere.Registered User regular
  • Darth AardvarkDarth Aardvark Registered User regular
    L|ama wrote:

a sadist, that is who

do you really prefer force diagrams and vector mechanics over a simply differential equation?

seriously some of the shit you can do with lagrangian mechanics is crazy, and would require a stupid crazy amount of horseshit with just F=ma and normal forces and all that garbage

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus Right here in River CityRegistered User regular
    I am procrastinating hard on this poetry interpretation essay. Langston Hughes is good, but not 1200 words good. Also community college is awful.
    Professor-

"There are rules for football, right? And rules for stock car racing? So why don't you understand there are rules for poetry?"

-On the class's complete and utter inability to understand sonnets

Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock, and the Golden Rule!
    Well done on the AP scores.

Lab practicals are this week. I will be happy to be done teaching this summer.

• DubhDubh DON'T SNEEZE The Tanker... FOREVERRegistered User regular
    I agree with the notion that community colleges should be held to the same standards as a university. The system breaks down when the administration, and the teacher, don't believe it.

Thing_zps6acf1883.png <---DE?AD makes games
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    1200 words on langston hughes? cake and a half.

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    i'm in a position where i feel like i can honestly talk about what is going on with me right now

i started medication, wellbutrin

it is working. working in the sense where my downfalls are not occurring. i can get up in the morning without freaking out. i can enter my place of business when my shift starts without having troubles breathing. i don't scream, or cry

but i don't feel like me. a lot of people who i care/havecared about don't like that me

i do like that me, i am kind of fucked up, but i am sincere and i care about the people i choose to interact with

today i have wanted to scream all day, but i couldn't or wouldn't, but i still felt the need to

that is my normal coping mechanism, and it does me alright

i've been on the edge of tears, but nothing will push me over, which i want it to because that would be an enormous relief

i don't enjoy smoking as much as i did a few days ago, i can't get up the motivation to do things i want to do

not too many jokes, and if i do make jokes it is just because that is something i have been doing

i can get up in the morning no problem. today i woke up on time and went to work. no setting multiple alarms or hitting snooze or just being generally depressed, but i got up instantly

i want to tell my roommate that i really need his support right now, but if i do two things will happen

he will hang out with me reluctantly because i am not fun at all right now, and that would be a burden on him
    he won't hang out with me, because there is a female present, and i can't pry him away from that if i tried

i don't really want to be with anyone but him, him and i are close wavelengths right now

but still pretty much opposite

i am lonely, and am unsure if i even want to change that

so i guess my medication is working, but i don't get to be me or i won't get a shot at someone not despising me after two months

over and out

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    how long have you been on it? sometimes it takes a bit to level out

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus Right here in River CityRegistered User regular
    My sympathies, mate. I hope you feel better.

Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock, and the Golden Rule!
    L|ama wrote:

a sadist, that is who

do you really prefer force diagrams and vector mechanics over a simply differential equation?

seriously some of the shit you can do with lagrangian mechanics is crazy, and would require a stupid crazy amount of horseshit with just F=ma and normal forces and all that garbage

Oh I'm just whining

I ended up biting the bullet and just doing a bunch of unrelated questions with given solutions to figure it out and I've mostly got it, but then that led to not having enough time to finish off all the homework so heh

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Got a solid 2/1 on my second year overall. I'd like to see if I can bump that up to a first next year, but honestly I'm pretty happy with that as is.

This discussion has been closed.