As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

why are you hurting me internet

flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
okay so... my wifi connection in seriously mentally challenged.

basically, I've always had trouble using the internet in my room (the router is located downstairs while my room is upstairs, on the other side of the house). Its always been a struggle to connect, but usually I can eventually get it to work. My dad recently bought a new router, an apple router since everyone in the family has a mac, to fix the problem.

For awhile, everything was okay and everyone could use the internet just fine. But recently, the internet has stopped working in my room. I get full signal strength, but I can never get an IP address or it says I have a "self assigned IP address and can't connect to the internet". How is this possible?! Actually I dont know much about computers so maybe this is actually really normal.

Also, I've been having trouble connecting all over the house, the connection will suddenly drop and the computer will insist that I'm either using the wrong password or the connection has timed out. The connection usually comes back if I stand right in front of the damn router. If I take my mom's laptop into my room, I still lose connection, so I know its not just my computer. We both have macbook pros

I've looked online and haven't found anything useful, and I dont know if the person at the genius bar can help. This happened once before and my dad just reset the router. I dont want to just have to be constantly resetting it!

Any help is super appreciated!!! Thanks!

flowerhoney on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sounds to me like there's a lot of stuff in between you and the router (walls/appliances/floors/etc.) that could be causing interference. Maybe try a high gain antenna?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Do the other machines in the house experience similar issues at similar distances? You can try different antennas but if the problem is still happening when you're in the same room with the router, that probably won't help you much.

If you're having problems with IPs and with the router deciding you aren't providing the right authentication, the problem is likely that something in your connection settings isn't what it's supposed to be per the router. I don't really know anything about how macs manage those things though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The weird thing is that sometimes the internet in my room works just fine, and sometimes it refuses to cooperate. My sister's room is next to mine and she says that sometimes she cant get the ipad to work in her room as well.
    The router actually doesn't have an antenna, our old one used to and getting the antennas to point in the right direction usually helped.

I have no idea why the setting would be different in that one part of the house

yeah I know, macs are supposed to be all easy but when it comes to technical stuff they're really good at fucking things up and being complicated...

sorry this problem is so ridiculous, maybe the mac store is my best bet

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Important questions to answer:

When you say "house" do you mean apartment/townhome/row house/condo? or do you mean a house, with space between you and the neighbors?

Secondly, when you go to a PC near your router and you type: http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.254 into your web browser, do you get a set of config pages for your router? If so, you can look at your Wireless config pages, and turn the antenna power up to 10. It'll probably be set at 4-6. That might help. You can also change the channel the router uses. Pick one of the "standard" ones in the list... your config page should tell you which ones are common. I use 6 or 10.

Next, look into a Linksys or Netgear signal booster. It's just a little thing that you set up once, then you plug it into an electrical socket somewhere in the house and it boosts your signal range. Here's one that might work, but there are others around.

----

My initial guess is that someone else has turned up a new router on the same channel as yours, and is knocking down your wireless range. Interference in the wireless world appears to a user as range decrease, and that's what you're experiencing. A signal booster should solve all your issues.

spool32 on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    You can also change the channel the router uses. Pick one of the "standard" ones in the list... your config page should tell you which ones are common. I use 6 or 10.

I thought the goal of picking a channel was to avoid the more commonly used ones to try and reduce interference?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The weird thing is that sometimes the internet in my room works just fine, and sometimes it refuses to cooperate.

It could be that someone in between you and the router turned on a tv/microwave/etc.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You can also change the channel the router uses. Pick one of the "standard" ones in the list... your config page should tell you which ones are common. I use 6 or 10.

I thought the goal of picking a channel was to avoid the more commonly used ones to try and reduce interference?
    Some wifi devices won't know the hop sequences represented by the intermediate channels. With a standard wifi card in a computer you're usually OK to pick any of them, but not knowing the OP's gear I was going for the safe bet. It'll be a rare location that has interference on ALL the "standard" channels.

The weird thing is that sometimes the internet in my room works just fine, and sometimes it refuses to cooperate.

It could be that someone in between you and the router turned on a tv/microwave/etc.
    Not really. TVs and microwaves don't create any interference that will affect a 2.4ghz signal. In a home, the only 'etc' you'd really need to wonder about is an AC unit, and those are almost always outside.

Sometimes a thick concrete slab will attenuate an 802.11 signal, but that would have been a fact from the beginning. OP seems to have changed the router at some point, so that could also be a factor. At the edge of a wireless router's range, orientation of the antenna (it's inside the router) is important. A 20 degree change in the angle could make a difference.

It's really hard to know the cause without seeing the location itself... which is why most solutions amount to "boost signal power, switch channels, extend core range". Troubleshooting them in more finely grained ways is pretty hard, and usually gets you very little return on your time investment.

Edit: one thing I've noticed since I started taking iPhones and the iPad into my house is that, on occasion, the wireless signal just gets... well, fucked up. That's the only way to describe it. Before I had an iPhone and iPad from the office, this never happened... and by never I mean not once in 5 years. Devices can no longer connect, even with full power. The android phones can't connect, the iPad complains. Power cycling the router (via actually unplugging it, not a software reset) will sort this out. It's probably happened twice in the last 6 months, and I have absolutely no explanation for it whatsoever. I spent about 4 hours one evening trying every damned thing I could think of to get the router to hand out IP addresses, and in the end I just said "EFF THIS", yanked the power, and counted to 30 while I resisted the urge to throw the router across the room. When I plugged it back in, everything worked great.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Not really. TVs and microwaves don't create any interference that will affect a 2.4ghz signal. In a home, the only 'etc' you'd really need to wonder about is an AC unit, and those are almost always outside.

Tell that to the microwave and router at my house. When we used to have a computer in a rec room on one end of the house and the router in a bedroom on the other end, I could kill the network connection by turning on the microwave without fail.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Tell that to the microwave and router at my house. When we used to have a computer in a rec room on one end of the house and the router in a bedroom on the other end, I could kill the network connection by turning on the microwave without fail.
    I don't doubt your experience, but it's far more likely that the motor turning the carousel in the microwave, or the circuit the unit was on, than the microwave action. They just don't throw off all that much rf interference.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I don't doubt your experience, but it's far more likely that the motor turning the carousel in the microwave, or the circuit the unit was on, than the microwave action. They just don't throw off all that much rf interference.

When I said microwave, I meant the appliance, not the electromagnetic waves.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

When I said microwave, I meant the appliance, not the electromagnetic waves.

Well, any appliance with a motor turning something can throw off enough broad-spectrum interference to cause intermittent issues. An elevator down the hall can wreck your shit in mysterious and confounding ways. Load on the motor can matter too... you might be OK with a bowl of oatmeal in your microwave, but not a whole chicken. It's challenging to discern the correct pattern from the noise sometimes. For most people though, wifi and microwave ovens are both basically magic. Saying "your microwave might be interfering with your wifi" conjures up an image of micro waves colliding with wireless waves and... yeah.

Motors can affect signal! Don't put old crappy ones in between your computer and your wireless access point.

spool32 on