Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[4E] ODAM - OOC thread (2groups1thread)

HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
Lost Chronicles of Odam: The Piece That Doesn't Fit

"The Elf-Father said,

'Let there be light so that mine children may see;
let there be light to warm the hearts of all Good Peoples;
let there be light so that the lurkers in the darkness are exposed'.

The Elf-Father was a fool."

— Tariath'il'Catos, traitor to the elven Ark Drin.

Introduction:

This is recruiting for a 4e Dungeons and Dragons game for a party of three to five people. Anyone can apply, regardless of experience, blah, blah. There are a few spots reserved for if certain people decide to take them, but I doubt they're interested. If you're not involved in another play by post game, please note that with your application.

That all said, this game has a little bit of history behind it. A long time ago, Horseshoe ran a little game called...
namesofoldkl6.jpg

Though I want to take a chance to go through and neaten things up, we'll be basing things roughly on that world. Something that needs to be noted is that the campaign previous was a very collaborative effort. Everything was permitted, more or less; and there is some burden on the players to help and create the world that they are adventuring in. This is no less true this time around.

The Particulars:

Standard setup. This is a play by post game. Character sheets can go on Mythweavers or Orokos or whatever you prefer to have them on, really, so long as I have access to it. Rolls can all be made on Invisible Castle or Orokos or wherever. I'll be looking for a post a day minimum, and I'll try to update as frequently as I can, but I make no promises.

Party Order: Whatever the heck you feel like, folks.

I'm looking for some second level characters, and I'll only look at the first two submissions that you make - so choose wisely. The only thing that I should probably note is that I have a preference for the more humanoid races; humans, elves and gnomes, sure. Less likely to pick monstrous races, but if you want to submit one, go ahead anyway.

Submission should include:
  • A link to the sheet (Myth Weavers or Orokos)
  • The character's name.
  • A picture of your character - optional, for creating a token. If you don't post one I reserve the right to pick the silliest one I can find.
  • Personality traits, mannerisms and appearances. This can be as long or short as you like.
  • Your availability to post in the fourms (frequent? infrequent?) and what games you're playing or running in here.

Note about alignment: man, I don't care about alignment.
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39918 here's the first IC thread (it's a fun read [totally not because i played a he hur hur])

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39484 there's the first OOC

There's no deadline or anything right now for submitting sheets, though I'll set one soonish.

With this all said, click the banner up there, do some preliminary reading, and I hope to see some sheets soon.

I'm sure I'll remember some other things to edit in here soon. Like...

Submitted Characters

Hylianbunny on

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Interested. What kind of liberties can be taken with what isn't in the wiki? I'm thinking of dwarves in particular

• AnialosAnialos RPG MPD patient #1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll be reading up on this tonight and probably making a character, most likely two.

Edit: Gonna be gnomes since the slate is mostly blank.

Dichotomy wrote: »
    I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

like "skinhead" or "republican"
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Grog - as many liberties as you'd like. :P I know that dwarves were something that we didn't really explore at all, so really it's a blank slate ready to be worked on.

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow, that wiki is painful to navigate. I'll have a submission up later this evening I hope. If not, then first thing in the morning when I get back from work.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hey buddy

i would like to do this thing :D or at least help out

Player of Sapphire Sorceress, And Justice For All
    Player of Li Mei Feng, Monkey Princess, The Dresden Files Low Profile
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
    Pokemon X FC: 4570-7995-7031
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Interested, but yes, that thing is very difficult to navigate. I don't know what this world is or what it's about. Perhaps you can just sum it up in a paragraph or two?

10170-1.png
    edited July 2011
    i guess it would have helped if he posted a link to the OP of the first OOC thread; essentially chronicles of odam was a dnd game rolled into an entirely collaborative world-building experience. when it started we had a GM (horseshoe) and a handful of players (including myself and HB) and a couple Wikiteers whose job it was to flesh out the world that we created.

how it would go is GM would introduce a scene and through our own posts and just playing the game we would make references to things, places, whatever, and it would be the wikiteers' jobs to go in and make those pages and then elaborate on it. the best thing i can recommend is just read the wiki, as odd as it is, and accept that there are HUGE gaps because we didn't get more than a small piece (the piece our characters interacted with directly, more or less) defined.

it's still very much a blank slate.

edited July 2011
    I love blank slates with just enough background for me to play in!

I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

edited July 2011
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39918 here's the first IC thread (it's a fun read [totally not because i played a he hur hur])

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39484 there's the first OOC

edited July 2011
    I tried digging around for the OP of the first OOC thread, but got lazy and wasn't able to find it. Still planning on pulling things off of that wiki and putting them somewhere legible and navigatable.

Arc is one of those 'certain players' that has a spot reserved. And speaking of - if you're looking to play Tyr again, Arc, we'll have some background stuff to discuss. I'd certainly love to have you, though, even if fantasy isn't really your show anymore. :P

The old threads are probably a very good read to get a feel for how things are going to go down, so I'll throw a link to them in the OP.

edited July 2011
    maybe not Tyr himself, but definitely an elf of clan Amatar!

you can get with me in a PM or on irc or wherever is best for you

edited July 2011
    You will get a PM when I see an aegugh-damned character sheet! :P

edited July 2011
    deja vu

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am quite proficient with setting up wikidot wiki`s, but they use a syntax different from traditional wiki`s.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • XSVforceXSVforce Registered User
    edited July 2011
    posting interest, looks really interesting. I will be putting up a character in a few days

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dhorn 'Bristle' Teglaig

Storytime
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

Not sure if you wanted anything as extensive as this. Drenchpeak is based around the idea that a fortress has expanded to the extent where it needs a ridiculous amount of power to keep it going, so it's harnessing the torrential rain of the peaks (so I figured this would be in the Greywall mountains near the sea) for hydroelectricity. Dwarven society itself is shifting into something similar to the industrial revolution, with huge city populations that need to be controlled as a workforce, hence the 'democracy' supposedly replacing the clan system.

Added a theme because I wasn't sure if you wanted them. Isn't essential to the character though, so it can go if you like.

In these two pbps

edited July 2011
    Looks fine to me. I don't have a problem with themes - if you'd like to use 'em, use 'em.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Out of curiosity; are the races listed on the wiki the only ones that are available to play? Obviously, I could work with that. I'm just wondering how open this is to completely new additions like that.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
    edited July 2011
    The races listed on the wiki are only the ones that we started to explore, if that. You're certainly welcome to use other races as you choose and we can start slipping them into the world 'canon'.

edited July 2011
    Varis, Skyknight Squire

Still looking for an image.

Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Personality:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Abilities:
    Spoiler:

Mechanics:
    Spoiler:

Right now, I'm in;

Worldship
    Sharn Noir

Though the unfortunate truth is that Sharn Noir hasn't updated in quite some time.

Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
    edited July 2011
    as the man who designed the elves, i give your character a hearty thumbs up zed, you grokked exactly how elves should roll in Odam

edited July 2011
    which reminds me, HB are we following the same restriction that the original ODAM followed of "once a race/class combo is picked it's gone"?

edited July 2011
    Changed my mind on double-gnome, making a dorf for this right now. Couple people from my RL game should be registering to app for this soon.

edited July 2011
    which reminds me, HB are we following the same restriction that the original ODAM followed of "once a race/class combo is picked it's gone"?

Haven't really put much thought to it. I'll tentatively say that no, there's no restriction of race/class combo. If you've got an argument otherwise though I'd be more than happy to hear it. :P

edited July 2011
    Torbera Frostfoe, Dwarven Invoker of Erathis

Summary:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Appearance & Mannerisms:
    Spoiler:

Theme:
    Spoiler:

Picture:
    Spoiler:

edited July 2011
    Misty Wildtongue, Gnome Fey-pact Warlock

Summary:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms & Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Theme:
    Spoiler:

• lodwilklodwilk Registered User
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to bed right now, but I have an elven executioner that I would love to try out. His info should be up by tomorrow.

DM in Age of Ascension (IC/OOC)
    Tzeentch in CitOW Game 53
  • starchaservastarchaserva Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Jerod Black Human Rogue

Summary
    Spoiler:

Appearence
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

edited July 2011
    as the man who designed the elves, i give your character a hearty thumbs up zed, you grokked exactly how elves should roll in Odam
    I appreciate the stamp of approval. I sifted through all the information I could glean from the wiki for that.

edited July 2011
    Is it safe to assume that Eladrin are essentially the same as Elves in this setting?

• KimmerynKimmeryn Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Nawara Slee

Background:
    Spoiler:

Description:
    Spoiler:

Image:
    225px-Halforc2.jpg

Mannerisms and Personality:
    Spoiler:

General Build Information:
    Centered Breath Monk (Striker)
    Centered Flurry of Blows
    Unarmed Combatant
    Unarmored Defense
    Improved Monk Unarmed Strike
    Pointed Step Style
    Half-Orc Resilience
    Furious Assault
    Dancing Cobra
    Five Storms
    Drunken Monkey
    Fighting Fury
    Masterful Spiral
    Swift Charge

edited July 2011
    i think the original concept had just a few core races, and i remembered discussing a piece of the setting involving the fae courts where the eladrin featured prominently

up to you whether or not you want to stick to that though

edited July 2011
    So, what's the deal with pistols?

Are we going to try to represent those mechanically in the 4E version?

Because I think playing a gun-dude could be kind of interesting. Definitely a departure for me.

edited July 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    So, what's the deal with pistols?

Are we going to try to represent those mechanically in the 4E version?

Because I think playing a gun-dude could be kind of interesting. Definitely a departure for me.

Think we'll just run with a reflavoured Hand Crossbow for a pistol. I'm not opposed to working with homebrew content, though, so if you have a suggestion you'd like to try out we can give it a try and see what works.

• TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zeitgeist (a 4th Ed campaign currently in development by ENWorld) has released a player's guide to their campaign.

Why is this relevant? Well, the setting of Zeitgeist is steampunk, and has some rules regarding the use and inclusion of firearms. I recommend taking a look (under their free Intro package on the main page).

Just my two cents.

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png
    edited July 2011
    Here is my character application for Dichondrial, if you feel that there is anything missing please tell me so I can add to it. Also I am currently not in any pbp games right now, unless your counting boardgames as well, in which case I am continuously on the Chaos in The Old World Roster.

Dichondrial Solvanstai

Spoiler:

Appearance
    Spoiler:

Personality
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

edited July 2011
    'lo, folks. Been a little silent for the last couple of days between work and the forum upgrade, so sorry about that.

I'm going to set a deadline on any incoming sheets on Tuesday, July 19th at 11:59 pm - the minute before my birthday is over. Very much liking the ones I've seen so far, though. I'll throw together a list of the sheets and links and all that into the OP.

Lot of strikers all up in here. :P

Hylianbunny on
    Doh, almost forgot to mention that I'm playing in this PbP right now.

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    oh my this game

one of my great failures it was... somehow i managed to fuck up a campaign that was intended to create and run itself

hylian, i am stoked that you are bringing this idea back to life because i was ill-equipped to do so

i am very tempted to play, but i think if i applied to play it, i would be inviting some sort of cosmic disappointment

also i found some of my notes for the old game, the sort of vague outline stuff that i'd hoped players would fill in

so... spoilers.

on the other races that were not playable at the time:
    Spoiler:

on the eladrin in particular:
    Spoiler:

on the feywild in particular:
    Spoiler:

i had a few specific ideas but mostly tried to keep it in broad strokes so as not to interfere too much

for example i had a wierd idea for the dragonborn that i might only share with hylian

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    play dat shit