As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Constantly have to reset router and modem to stay connected...

UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
I've been having this issue ever since I bought my new laptop months ago. It's an HP Pavilion dv7 running Windows 7. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the computer, not with the router, as I've had this identical issue with a number of different ISPs and router brands in different areas of the country. Every hour or two I'll lose access to the internet, though I'll remain connected to the router. The troubleshooter will advise me to reset it, and that always works - for an hour or two, then the issue comes back up. Is there some setting on my computer that's doing this?

Dogs.jpg
Umaro on

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Could be something to do with DHCP lease times, but I'm just guessing.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    it's highly unlikely that anything on your computer is killing your router/modem.

the next time it happens open up a command line:

start->cmd (in search box)

then type:

ipconfig
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

you might have to wait a bit for those commands to execute, but if that works it should demonstrate a DHCP issue. Comparing the results of the first ipconfig and the renew should give you a better idea of where the problem could be. . . the ip address may differ between leases so that's not a big issue but if the subnet or gateway differ then you might have to reconfigure some stuff.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN