As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Roses are red, violets are blue, I worship chaos, and BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    For a DoA list, I'd try terminators. They add a really nice durable unit to a list that otherwise has very few invuln saves.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    spherick, since you basically gave me your AoBR termies, I converted 3 of them to SS/TH. You can have them back if you want, but they have wolf shields and thunder hammers and shoulderpads...

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    Thanks Altmann, but I think i'll buy an actual assault termi box and slap on extra gubbins from the 5 DC boxes I got from Nax.

I was thinking 3TH/SS, 2 LCs - may grab some AoBR termis on the cheap and just convert em to have 5 of each so I can always interchange.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    mugginns wrote:
    Well yeah, but that doesn't really account for artistic talent.

Har har. :)

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Petroleum jelly also works to help keep the GS from sticking. And here is the only quick trick I know for modeling with the stuff. To make rope, make a thin roll of GS, fold it in half, then twist the folded over stuff until you get the look you want.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote:
    Petroleum jelly also works to help keep the GS from sticking. And here is the only quick trick I know for modeling with the stuff. To make rope, make a thin roll of GS, fold it in half, then twist the folded over stuff until you get the look you want.

This also works for chain! Just twist gently, then use a tool like a dentists scrapy hooky thing and very gently pry the loops open. It creates very natural looking chain.

• Options
    Hey, how are roughriders these days? Would I do okay with my original five rough riders on their horse models? And since i modeled them based on the 3rd Ed codex, can I still take them with chainswords an laspistols?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    ...This also works for chain! Just twist gently, then use a tool like a dentists scrapy hooky thing and very gently pry the loops open. It creates very natural looking chain.

Dang, and all this time I've been using cheap dollar-store chains for chain!

WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    ...This also works for chain! Just twist gently, then use a tool like a dentists scrapy hooky thing and very gently pry the loops open. It creates very natural looking chain.

Dang, and all this time I've been using cheap dollar-store chains for chain!

Hehe, just cause it works and creates some good looking chain, doesn't mean I usually do it. I use jewelers chain for 90% of my chain needs.

• Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    Rough riders are fun stuff. They have lances, not sure what else. Pretty sure they've got pistols.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    they can take special weapons too, I think

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Hey do we know who's writing the next Chaos dex yet?

I only ask because a few of the guys from my GW (Manchester) went down to Games Day UK on Sunday and ended up chatting to Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil in some little seminar-y thing. They were talking about how cool it would be if some of the characters from McNeils Iron Warriors books ended up in the new codex and McNeil replied (paraphrasing):
    'In all seriousness I've been begging Phil Kelly for two months to put Hounsou in the new book, but he won't.'
    So I guess Phil Kelly's doing it?

Also look out for a character called 'Major Minor' in the next Ghosts book says Abnett.

• Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    Frowbakk wrote:
    I went thru my bitz box last night, and the only thing I think I have out of that lot is the rhino front shield piece. All of my bits are from old Russes and Chimera parts, but I've used all the side pieces of the chimerae.

If you have any Dozer Blades laying about, I'd love to get as many as you can scrounge up. Not just for the four small hydraulic bitz which attach the chest to the hips, but because it take three of the blade supports to make both arms and half the legs. It's a common bit, but I go through a lot of them... A small price to pay for making a model which actually looks like it could move under its own power.

Does anyone have Land Raider Redeemer flame cannons they're not using? That could be an alternate gun-arm in place of the Basilisk cannon.

I have few I can spare, PM me the details, and I'll see what I can do come Friday when I get paid. It won't be mailed until Saturday at the earliest. Maybe Monday evening.

EDIT to fix the quote tree...

And to make sure, do you want the actual dozer blades with the spiky bits or just the supports that attach them to the hull?

Not unless you support my other silly terrain project: Dozerhenge.

Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    So I played a game vs Blood Ravens last weekend with my BA list. He said he is getting his army professionally photographed once he paints his last couple transports for his battle company in the next few weeks hopefully. So I will put them up here for you guys that wanted pics once that is done.

Me: 3 ASM squads(fist, 2 melta), tac squad(fist, flamer,MMelta), 2 devs(10 man, 2 lasC, 2 MLs), 1 dev(10man, 4 ML), libby & reclusiarch with jump packs, 2 priests(1 w/jump pack)

him: terminator libby, 5 LC termis (DS with libby), 3 tac squads w/rhinos (all with teleport homers), normal land raider(empty), 2 vindicators, LS storm w/MMelta (for DS defence), wirlwind, Thule (asscan & HFlamer) in a drop pod

was quarters, 3 objectives, he goes first. He deploys with his vindis and raider up front, one tac on his objective, one in rhino, and other combat squaded and spread out to help block me from droping in his lines along with the LS storm. I combat squad the tacs and devs around my objective and up high in cover.

turn breakdowns in spoilers.
    1st turn:
    he moves up vindis & raider, shooting kills kills a few bolter devs. I blow up the LS storm, stun both vindis.

2nd turn:
    him: pops smoke on the vindis, rhino with a tac squad moves to middle objective, Thule drops infront of some devs. Shooting kills a few more bolter devs.
    me: all my reserves come in and DS into the middle of his army. melta guns wiff on one vindi, immobolise the other were it can only shoot one dev combat squad. Rhino with tac squad on middle objective gets blown up. Thule looses both his arms.

3rd turn:
    Him: moble vindi shoots and kills about half of the reclusiarch's squad, other shooting kills several assault marines. Thule assaults the last guy in a dev combat squad & will be stuck till turn 6.
    Me: I assault the tac squads on his and the middle objective with an assault squad each will kill them off in a couple of assault phases, moble vindi gets blown up.

Turn 4
    His terminators & libby DS in next to the combat near the center objective, try to use a ap3 flame template power on an ASM combat squad and kill a few guys. I take pot shots at his tanks and kill off the two tac squads on objectives. At the end of the turn I am holding 2 and contesting 1.

Turn 5
    His shooting whittles down my libbys squad on his objective to I think 3 guys, terminators assault the reclusiarch's squad on the middle objective. They loose one guy but leave only the reclusiarch alive with 1 wound left. My turn I kill the drop pod, blow up a rhino by his objective. Reclusiarch dies and his termies sit on the middle objective so I cant run a tac combat squad there. Some time around here I whittle one of his last two combat squads of tacs down to two guys. At end of turn I hold 1 contest 1, he contests 2.

Turn 6
    His shooting kills off the libby's squad on his objective and he has a combat squad of tacs in range to hold it. Thule finally kills the one devistator. My turn I jump my last two assault marines onto his objective (they had borken earlier but regrouped just close enough to make it to the objective). Game ends and I hold 1 contest 1, he contest 2.

The Blood Ravens did end up killing 40 marines by the end of the game, most of which had FnP or were in cover. Just with this list I had another 34 marines on the table. Though I think I may be screwed if I play our Deathwing player with this list, that many power weapons, even if they are slow, are going to be a problem

Ogotai on
  • Options
    Played scurvy today with my "ridiculist".

It had 3 deathstrikes in it. They combined killed 4 infantry models.

That puts me at a grand total of 5 models killed ever by any of my deathstrikes. That includes one of my own. I've taken 5 deathstrikes ever.

Goddamn I want them to be so good but they never hit for me, and do nothing and cost 160 fucking points.

signature.png
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Deathstrike? More like.... Wiffstrike

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Yeah... they're basically just for apox.

• Options
    but... but!

I want to get a 12" blast in a regular gammeeeeee!!!!

Yeah. they suck. Apoc only.

I am definitely going to model one. It's not even going to be a vehicle, because fuck that, no one moves those things. It's going to be a techpriest and servitors manning a MASSIVE fucking fat-man type atomic bomb sitting on a launch pad.

signature.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    altmann wrote:
    but... but!

I want to get a 12" blast in a regular gammeeeeee!!!!

Yeah. they suck. Apoc only.

I am definitely going to model one. It's not even going to be a vehicle, because fuck that, no one moves those things. It's going to be a techpriest and servitors manning a MASSIVE fucking fat-man type atomic bomb sitting on a launch pad.

YOUR DEFINITION OF CANON MAKES IT A WORD WITHOUT MEANING

HOW DARE YOU

(assumed definition based on analysis of posts without reading them or taking context into consideration)

SJ on
  • Options
    lol whatever. I read those posts and facepalmed. He needs to learn some comprehension.

nax and I are currently discussing the merits of (yes you can't do this i know) putting pask in a deathstrike.

I would assume he is just old and tired and just sitting there drinking and pressing a red button. Maybe he hits teh auspex with his fist (+1 bs).

But I would argue he gets +1bs +1to fire and +1 to radius.

"PUT MORE EXPLOSIVES IN THERE JUST DO IT PEON *burb*... *swig*"

signature.png
  • Options
    I think that's the best idea though...Make sure you paint it green, and a big yellow radioactive sign on it, so it looks like it's straight out of the 50's.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really hope they do an okay job of getting the Stonecrusher Carnifex coverted to 5th edition. If it at least has a 2+ save, I'll have a new unit entry to use for my meleefexes. Just buy some crusher arms and magnetise them.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Well! I bought and painted Abaddon. Chaos Gods-willing, a certain friend of mine is not seeing this. Because this is going to be his birthday gift. About 95% done so far.

abaddon1.jpg
    abaddon2f.jpg

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    altmann wrote:

That puts me at a grand total of 5 models killed ever by any of my deathstrikes. That includes one of my own. I've taken 5 deathstrikes ever.

Goddamn I want them to be so good but they never hit for me, and do nothing and cost 160 fucking points.

I modeled one out of a spare leman russ body, the hyralic supports for the unused dozer blade and the missile from when i built my manticore, but have yet to paint or use it. What i do not understand is how can something that is 2d6-3 with a 4-6 inch radius (8-12 diameter) miss that often? 1/3 are going to hit dead on. Of the remaining you have a 21/36 chance of hitting the model with a 4 inch radius. 26/36 chance with a 5 inch radius and 30/36 with a 6 inch radius.

I never take them because i figure they will never last more than one turn on the board, and 30 more guardsmen just seems to be the better option. I need to stop pricing other units in terms of guardsmen, it just makes taking more guardsmen look attractive. I think i have a problem.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Saw this rumour over at Warseer.
    - Andrew Kenrick, our wonderful WD editor himself, and one of his colleagues (Phil I think? Not sure, will find his picture and confirm) hinted at a possible Tyranid release. This will not be the fabled 2 wave, but will fill a gap in the codex. However he also said "but then it may not be a gap filler, but an altogether different model with it's rule set to be released in white dwarf". Nid players... don't read too much in to this, there aren't enough facts to get excited about, but equally I don't think someone in the know such as Mr AK would say sometihng's coming when it's not. Again, no dates were hinted at.

It would be really annoying if it was a brand new unit, since most Tyranid players would be perfectly happy simply with a Tervigon kit.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My mate's guard army has one Deathstrike and usually it kills a few dudes

It once destroyed a tactical squad, a rhino, two guard infantry squads and a two chimaeras. Pretty insane, he wiped out both our flanks, essentially.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote:
    Saw this rumour over at Warseer.
    - Andrew Kenrick, our wonderful WD editor himself, and one of his colleagues (Phil I think? Not sure, will find his picture and confirm) hinted at a possible Tyranid release. This will not be the fabled 2 wave, but will fill a gap in the codex. However he also said "but then it may not be a gap filler, but an altogether different model with it's rule set to be released in white dwarf". Nid players... don't read too much in to this, there aren't enough facts to get excited about, but equally I don't think someone in the know such as Mr AK would say sometihng's coming when it's not. Again, no dates were hinted at.

It would be really annoying if it was a brand new unit, since most Tyranid players would be perfectly happy simply with a Tervigon kit.

If true, it's possible it's a Tervigon + New Unit model, thus filling both the gap filler and new unit roles.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    I have to wait until payday to get the newest IG codex. I assume Guardsmen still come ten to a squad? How many points is that not? Assume a grenade launcher, missile launcher, and sgt of some kind per squad. If that set-up is still feasible.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Hey do we know who's writing the next Chaos dex yet?

I only ask because a few of the guys from my GW (Manchester) went down to Games Day UK on Sunday and ended up chatting to Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil in some little seminar-y thing. They were talking about how cool it would be if some of the characters from McNeils Iron Warriors books ended up in the new codex and McNeil replied (paraphrasing):
    'In all seriousness I've been begging Phil Kelly for two months to put Hounsou in the new book, but he won't.'
    So I guess Phil Kelly's doing it?

Not understanding anyone who would be reluctant to stick in a special character. Especially one that's got enjoyable fluff and belongs to a first founding legion. It's an extra page of codex that leads directly to more conversion and model sales opportunities.

I don't suppose if they got any hints as to whether the codex will be a Traitor Legions book, as oppposed to a generic chaos marine book?

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Either way traitor legions will still make for poor armies, as they always have (except for Iron Warriors)

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    altmann wrote:
    If you put a flashlight parallel to the floor it will show up shadows. Instead of just shining directly down on it.

I don't watch CSI so that may be "CSI style".

Everytime my wife vacuums I hear sprue pieces being sucked in. It's gonna be interesting when I move this desk...

Dude you have no idea, when i moved the table i worked on in my old place i must have found bits of plastic scattered everywhere.
    Detharin wrote:
    altmann wrote:

I modeled one out of a spare leman russ body, the hyralic supports for the unused dozer blade and the missile from when i built my manticore, but have yet to paint or use it. What i do not understand is how can something that is 2d6-3 with a 4-6 inch radius (8-12 diameter) miss that often? 1/3 are going to hit dead on. Of the remaining you have a 21/36 chance of hitting the model with a 4 inch radius. 26/36 chance with a 5 inch radius and 30/36 with a 6 inch radius.

I never take them because i figure they will never last more than one turn on the board, and 30 more guardsmen just seems to be the better option. I need to stop pricing other units in terms of guardsmen, it just makes taking more guardsmen look attractive. I think i have a problem.

To be fair to altmann here he got 2 out of his 3 to launch, but one scattered so insanely far that it just didnt do anything. The other plastered 3 GK purifiers. His strikes werent as much the problem as his dice failed to do anything to my vehicles beyond stun them, which i promptly fortituded and kept on keeping on. The final insult was i took my own rediculist which included karamozov, i ended up using my rhino's as suicide bombers. running up to within 1 inch of his stuff and then just plastering them with the lance strike.

[Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    Either way traitor legions will still make for poor armies, as they always have (except for Iron Warriors)

They might, but at the moment you can't even put together a lot of the traitor legions using the current codex. You can slap together something for the four that went all in on a single power, but even then you're just putting marks on everything, and there's no real power specific wargear or units (outside of the troops).

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Not having the option does stink, yes, but you're fooling yourself if you ever thought a Thousand Sons or Emperor's Children army was competitive

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote:
    I don't suppose if they got any hints as to whether the codex will be a Traitor Legions book, as oppposed to a generic chaos marine book?

Unfortunately not, as soon as McNeil let Kelly's name slip it was a case of 'forget I said that' apparently.

Personally I think the next book will have more options for legion specific stuff even if it's just a generic CSM codex, it's not like it'd be hard to improve on the current amount of variety...

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I know I'll never find this, but I want it. It's apparently an old GW figure, the LE9 Space Skeleton:
    le09spaceskeletonfr.jpg

It's here:
    http://www.solegends.com/citle/citle1990/numbered/le09SpaceSkeleton.htm

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Slow progress on my Raider.
    raiderwip2.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    That is awesome. Did you go from a black basecoat?

also there is a space skeleton on ebay right now.

J on
  • Options
    Very nice.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I have to wait until payday to get the newest IG codex. I assume Guardsmen still come ten to a squad? How many points is that not? Assume a grenade launcher, missile launcher, and sgt of some kind per squad. If that set-up is still feasible.

50pts for 10 guys with a sergeant.
    Sarge can get powerweapon and/or plaspistol for 10pts each
    One special weapon: grenade launcher, flamer, and sniper are 5pts, melta is 10, plasma is 15
    One heavy weapon: mortar is 5pts, heavy bolter and auto cannon at 10, missile launcher at 15, and lascannon at 20
    Then theres meltabomb or krak grenades for some points
    Can attach a commissar for 35pts (non IC, makes whole squad stubborn and ups ld to 9), with all the upgrades of sarge.
    Can buy a dedicated chimera for 55 pts

And the best part, they have a 'combined squads' rule, so you can mash together up to 5 squads into a giant mega blob squad on deployment.

I like running 30man blob squads with 4 power weapons (3 sarges and a commissar), and 3 flamers, to bubble wrap my killy tanks. They never really kill much, but they stall things for 3 or 4 turns while they get killed to a man.

Conversely, having whack-loads of autocannon and grenades or plas squads make a pretty good firebase.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Also remember 1 platoon = 1 troop choice, not each squad. So 1 troop choice is at minimun 2 squads + a platoon comand squad that is an LT +4 dudes that have options for special weapons, or two together can take a heavy. 1 vet squad = one troop choice though.