Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

so you think you can DANCE WITH DRAGONS(NO TV, OPEN SPOILERS ON BOOKS 1-4)

• Goose!Goose! Yeah I wrote that Its called I Wanna Rock Your Body (till the break of dawn)Registered User regular
    Wait, wait, wait. Are books 4 and 5 set concurrently? The little PS after the last chapter made mention of telling the story of the characters that were mostly left out.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    For the most part yes.
    But about 3/4s through it sprinkles in some Westeros happenings.

Which at that point you'll be so sick of Dany and Jon it'll feel like a godsend

funkybanner_zps9614e94d.png
  • Goose!Goose! Yeah I wrote that Its called I Wanna Rock Your Body (till the break of dawn)Registered User regular
    I dunno, the TV show has made me like Dany better. Jon, we'll have to see how the story plays out.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that by the end of book 4 Jaime's essentially the only dude around who just wants peace and justice.

And not out of self interest, but for the sake of peace and justice.

He's also probably the single most clear-eyed PoV out of the whole cast

Even when he's doing something stupid he's just like, "Welp, guess I'm doing something pretty stupid."

History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
    That doesn't matter to me. He doesn't really seem remorseful. He and Cersei are really the reason ( or maybe excuse) for the war in the first place. Them fucking and hiding their fucking and having kids and pushing Bran and killibg Robert and so on. Most of it is Cersei but Jaime was complicit.

• Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    Did Jaime lose his hand before or after he read the Big Book of the Kingsguard? After those two events he seems to have some realization as to what a shitty person he is, because he is like "well, what can I write about myself other than I killed the king." I certainly don't like Jaime but I don't think I hate him, at least as a person.

Nah he read the book after he lost his hand

History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hm, where is Balefuego when you need him

End on
    so dark and foul I can't disguise
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig~medium.jpgsteam~tinythumb.png
  • cabsycabsy oh it's a boat Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    That doesn't matter to me. He doesn't really seem remorseful. He and Cersei are really the reason ( or maybe excuse) for the war in the first place. Them fucking and hiding their fucking and having kids and pushing Bran and killibg Robert and so on. Most of it is Cersei but Jaime was complicit.

Yeah if you want to know the reason for the war you can spin that rage right around on Littlefinger. Regardless of Jaime and Cersei having illegitimate children he would have found some reason to kill Jon Arryn, which is what really sparked Ned being Hand of the King, the distrust between Lannisters and Starks, etc etc etc. And I know somebody's going to come in and say Cat started the war but again, she acted entirely based on her trust of Littlefinger, which means no matter how you slice it, it's Littlefinger's war in the end. Anyway I think Jaime's a pretty interesting character and certainly if you could accuse anyone in the series of remorse or looking at their legacy it could only be Jaime.

JxBCCng.jpg
    pokefc: 0061-0863-4958 | satans wishlist | satans post
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    I used to really hate Jaime

I have a grudging respect for him now

I can't really blame anyone for hating him, but I think he's a pretty interesting character when you get to know him. He does some pretty dumb stuff though, like usually anything where his sister is involved (at least until he starts having a change of heart).

I think in the 4th and 5th book, the differences between Jaime and Cersei are more clear. Jaime made a lot of selfish and terrible decisions, but started to realize this. Cersei just started going crazy and is convinced she is the only person who can do anything, ever, despite being repeatedly outmaneuvered. Cersei is probably the only character I see with no redeeming qualities.

Cersei manages to outmaneuver herself. It's really quite ridiculous.

• YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years! a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular
    I can't even be mad at Cersei anymore

she is just so, so crazy

during most of my reread of Feast my reaction was 'oh, you!' to almost all of her actions

I'm not sure if she was always crazy though and it just wasn't as blatant until the last 2 books, or if she just started going crazy during them? Like, her kid did get killed, so did that just make her get completely paranoid? But people get killed all the time in her world, so maybe she was just not as obviously batshit earlier on and now she has more power?
    Either way, no matter what happens to her I cannot feel bad.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Cersei was sane for three, maybe four books. She had all of the time and all of the warnings in the world to reverse her course and do something that wasn't based out of hatred and willful ignorance. Then her shitty kid-- who she ruined-- died. That wasn't a tipping point, that was a long time coming.

In short: Fuck her. I hope a Bolton finds her.

edited April 2012
    I'm wondering how HBO is going to put books 4 and 5 on TV. Will they consult with GRRM as to when events from both books happen on a timeline and just mix the two together?

Goose! on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    They picked up season 3 right? That book is a monster, I wonder if they will order more episodes or split it or something.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
    Darian wrote: »
    They're splitting book three into two seasons, but so far have only picked up the option for the first part. So season 3 is on its way, which will be about half of the next book.

Ok. Hoping for Red Wedding season finale.

• DarianDarian Registered User regular
    They're splitting book three into two seasons, but so far have only picked up the option for the first part. So season 3 is on its way, which will be about half of the next book.

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

How hilarious would it be if they did that and then didn't renew the show for a 4th season

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Guys spoiler tags, for real.

The title itself says open spoilers, books 1-4.

Red Wedding happens in book 3.

You have only yourself to blame.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • DarianDarian Registered User regular
    But... this thread is NO TV, OPEN SPOILERS ON BOOKS 1-4

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    The two thread problem has struck again.

Yeah, my fault. I had clicked on both threads and thought I was posting there.

Odin wrote: »

How hilarious would it be if they did that and then didn't renew the show for a 4th season

How many people would die of rage?

edited April 2012
    Assuming they continue making the series, I think they may end up with the issue of actually catching up to Martin. He speculated 3 more years for the next book (although this may be bullshit since he always caveats its done when its done), so unless they continue the 2 seasons per book thing with 4 and 5, there will be a much smaller window between finishing a book and having to start production on the show.

However, if that is the worst of the problems, I guess it's not so bad.

edit: For all you Bronn fans,

Firematic. on
    edited April 2012
    DWD spoiler from early on
    Spoiler:

There may be question/theories to Jon's parentage, but he is truly a Stark.

Goose! on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

Yeah if you want to know the reason for the war you can spin that rage right around on Littlefinger. Regardless of Jaime and Cersei having illegitimate children he would have found some reason to kill Jon Arryn, which is what really sparked Ned being Hand of the King, the distrust between Lannisters and Starks, etc etc etc. And I know somebody's going to come in and say Cat started the war but again, she acted entirely based on her trust of Littlefinger, which means no matter how you slice it, it's Littlefinger's war in the end. Anyway I think Jaime's a pretty interesting character and certainly if you could accuse anyone in the series of remorse or looking at their legacy it could only be Jaime.

well

if you really want to go back

you have to go back to summerhall

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Welp. The ending of Feast for Crows kinda sneaked up on me tonight.

I can't get Dance with Dragons till next week though.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Jaime is an awesome dude.

But it still bugs me a bit that he's never actually said that he regrets tossing Bran out that window.

Doesn't seem to really track with his character arc, but maybe that's just me.

2cf4m6f.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    And deep down, at any time, I now know that Bronn can sing like an angel

But it still bugs me a bit that he's never actually said that he regrets tossing Bran out that window.

It's that he refuses to apologize for doing the Necessary Things. It's not like he's happy about tossing Bran out a window, but he was acting to protect Cersei and her kids, so he's not going to apologize for it even though it was awful. Same with killing the mad king, where even if it was necessary he's still got a fair share of self-loathing about the whole issue, and doesn't tell anyone that Aerys was gonna burn down the city.

Jaime's a really interesting PoV. It's really the biggest pleasure of reading book 3, of finding out what a complex dude he is

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

It's that he refuses to apologize for doing the Necessary Things. It's not like he's happy about tossing Bran out a window, but he was acting to protect Cersei and her kids, so he's not going to apologize for it even though it was awful. Same with killing the mad king, where even if it was necessary he's still got a fair share of self-loathing about the whole issue, and doesn't tell anyone that Aerys was gonna burn down the city.

Jaime's a really interesting PoV. It's really the biggest pleasure of reading book 3, of finding out what a complex dude he is

It makes him really terrifying in a way. He's going to do what must be done and if he can rationalize why it has to happen then he won't feel bad about it. Part of you wants to keep hating him even while you're reading through book 3. Then you realize that you actually respect him (at least a little). His relationship with his sister is super fucked up, but you feel really bad for him when he realizes what Ceresi has done at his expense.

I'm really curious to see how it comes across in the show as well once we start getting to see more of Jaime after he's freed.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Rolo wrote: »

well

I know something happened there, but I don't remember what

is that the whole thing with lyanna

@nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

well

I know something happened there, but I don't remember what

is that the whole thing with lyanna

No, that was the Great Tourney at Harrenhal (and subsequently, Robert's Rebellion, Tower of Joy, etc.).

Summerhall hasn't been given much detail. It was the Targaryens' summer palace, in the Stormlands but near to both Dorne and the Reach. It was destroyed by fire, the night Rhaegar was born. The fire also killed King Aegon V, his heir, and the Kingsguard's Lord Commander Ser Duncan (from the Dunk and Egg novellas). What makes it strange is that no one knows for certain what caused the fire, though there is some speculation the Targaryens were trying to hatch dragon eggs again.

Rhaegar took Lyanna to the Tower of Joy, and some shit went down there. Exactly what is a huge mystery.

Probably something to do with the tower's namesake.

Rhaegar took Lyanna to the Tower of Joy, and some shit went down there. Exactly what is a huge mystery.