As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Granado Espada: Frilly Dresses and Guns Galore

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Erm. Can you not change your character at all? I see a spot to put in a name, and a class to choose from (with no in game description of the class either). I can't change their clothes or hair color or anything...?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got into the beta for this, but I can't get the stupid thing to download.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Erm. Can you not change your character at all? I see a spot to put in a name, and a class to choose from (with no in game description of the class either). I can't change their clothes or hair color or anything...?

You can't at creation, but when you play there are costume as well as armor slots, but I haven't managed to pick any up yet.

Pb on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »

You can't at creation, but when you play there are costume as well as armor slots, but I haven't managed to pick any up yet.

Also, it's a beta. I'm sure in the full game you can customize more.

Etch on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Awesome game. I'm currently lv35 as the Cascael family. It's a little rough around the edges, such as wrong text formatting but it should be okay once the game rolls into version 2.0 (the latest, this CB version is 1.8, supposedly).

There appears to be no character customization aside from armor and weapons. You can get NPC cards which allow you to create NPC characters for your own personal use - they might be better in some ways to your stock characters (for example one lv40-something musketeer NPC is more powerful and can use a shotgun, something stock musketeers can't use). You can create up to 4 characters per family (barracks) from the beginning and extra character slots cost 10k Vis, up to a maximum of 9 slots total in the barracks.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    TanasTanas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey playing as the Falieri family here, only like level 8 or so though. But the game is pretty freaking cool, I dig the clothes :P. Also man my fighter sucks, the only reason he is still in my party is because I figure having a tank couldn't hurt later on.

Tanas on
    Men are not potatoes.
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Airan wrote: »
    Awesome game. I'm currently lv35 as the Cascael family. It's a little rough around the edges, such as wrong text formatting but it should be okay once the game rolls into version 2.0 (the latest, this CB version is 1.8, supposedly).

There appears to be no character customization aside from armor and weapons. You can get NPC cards which allow you to create NPC characters for your own personal use - they might be better in some ways to your stock characters (for example one lv40-something musketeer NPC is more powerful and can use a shotgun, something stock musketeers can't use). You can create up to 4 characters per family (barracks) from the beginning and extra character slots cost 10k Vis, up to a maximum of 9 slots total in the barracks.

On character customization, you can buy new clothes too. I think there's hats, pants, and coats/shirts. Expensive as hell though, but I assume that there will be more choices at the beginning with new patches and whatnot.

Also, the sound effects in this game kick serious ass. Everything sounds so damn powerful, especially that fighter move where you stab through the stomach and then kick the enemy off the blade. So badass.

Etch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Etch wrote: »

On character customization, you can buy new clothes too. I think there's hats, pants, and coats/shirts. Expensive as hell though, but I assume that there will be more choices at the beginning with new patches and whatnot.

Also, the sound effects in this game kick serious ass. Everything sounds so damn powerful, especially that fighter move where you stab through the stomach and then kick the enemy off the blade. So badass.

I'm actually really surprised at the english voices. They're really decent for once. The male fighter does sorta grate after a while ("GREAT!") but others like the spanish female Musketeer and male Scout (the characters I basically have at the moment) are top notch.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    TanasTanas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmmm question. I don't suppose anyone could tell me if the fighter is worth having later on? Because I'd like to switch him out with an elementalist I just don't know if I need a tank or not at higher levels. Also how do you put points into the different wizard trees, I can't seem ot level anything up in levitation and the others, only esp or something.

Tanas on
    Men are not potatoes.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Stances level up by you using them frequently (they level up fast until lv8, and there seems to be no cap). You can learn new Stances by going to the Office of Pioneering Support back in the starter city. They're quite expensive and usually have level and existing stance requirements (e.g. Doublegun shot needs lv36 Musketeer and Freestyle Shot stance at lv8).

You can level up skills in a stance up to lv10, at which point you can increase one by 2 more levels equipping 2 relevant rings (currently not implemented, I think). I'm not sure exactly how many skill points per stance level you get, but I seem to get 3-4 every stance level.

Oh, and Fighters are actually pretty good. They can use a variety of weapons (Swords, Sabers, Rapiers, Pistols, Polearms and Great Swords) if their stances allow, they have higher defense (more so with a shield, where they can use the specialized Block stance for improved tanking) and they also have Provoke which is really really useful when massive mob armies pop up (use Provoke, use Shield stance and Guardian skill (+xx to Block skill, maximum is +35 at lv10), set healer to auto-heal/use potions, let your dedicated damage dealer mop up). The Heaven or Hell stance is pretty damaging, from what I read. Certainly not Musketerr/Wiz/Warlock ass kicking, but nothing to scoff at either.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This game looks so good.

I demand more screenshots of frilly dresses.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can you make them do the Haruhi?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmm, is there any usefullness in ambers, or am I a retard for doing these hunting missions? Also, is there a way to delete a mission?

piL on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There doesn't seem to be any way to drop quests that I know of.

Ambers are sort of lame rewards in my opinion, the only one that doesn't outright die in a couple minutes is the hornet one because it flies.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any way to drop quests that I know of.

Ambers are sort of lame rewards in my opinion, the only one that doesn't outright die in a couple minutes is the hornet one because it flies.

Oh they fight for you. I assumed they fought against you (ala the tree stumps). That could be cool for leveling an alt I guess.

EDIT: Or if they're tradable, that might be good twink meat.

EDIT2: Who is on right now?

piL on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Or you could just... put a low level character in with your 2 high level characters to level an alt >.>

I'm on. My family name is Mavalar for future reference if anyone wants to hook up.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So i've officially been in the beta for a long time now, but I never got around to getting the client because of their ass-backwards method of downloading it (Splitting it into nine seperate parts on a mirror with abysmal download rates. Hurr.). I'm in the middle of downloading part nine of nine so i'll be online shortly, probably as the Arganas family.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't know why people keep complaining about the download.. There is a filefront mirror with the client in 4 obvious discrete parts that you can download simultaneously.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    So i've officially been in the beta for a long time now, but I never got around to getting the client because of their ass-backwards method of downloading it (Splitting it into nine seperate parts on a mirror with abysmal download rates. Hurr.). I'm in the middle of downloading part nine of nine so i'll be online shortly, probably as the Arganas family.

I didn't have a problem downloading them from torrents. I got them all under four hours, and I still haven't gotten my beta invite so the download time is no big deal.

http://www.bittorrent.com/users/ipinteractive/

EDIT:
    Oh wait, you're already in the beta. ^_^;;

Arminas on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn I saw something on this once, then forget about it. How is it playing out? Is it a grind? Is there crafting? etc etc.

I will try it out if I can. :D

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    deadmilkmandeadmilkman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A few notes for you all:

GE is the baby of the creator of Ragnarok Online, Hakkyu Kim. (No, Not Gravity)
    He started work on it after more or less being forced out after a takeover.

Alot of what is done on GE is based off he's experiance with RO.

Soloable content via single player controlled parties....
    (forming multi player Parties not forced, content not babied down so single classes could solo it.)

Very minor inital customization of avatar, LOTS of long-term customization.

Runs well on minimum spec'd computers. (VERY important in the asia market)

deadmilkman on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seriously, how is this?

Because I think this is the second Korean MMO that's actually been quite decent.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Looks interesting enough to fill out a survey anyway. :)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So, riddle me this. Rifle or Dual pistols for Musketeer?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A few notes for you all:

Runs well on minimum spec'd computers. (VERY important in the asia market)

Wow seriously? It looks awesome fantastic on max settings. I did try it on full minimum mode and it looked like ass, but I guess that's required for the asian market.

Scosglen: They're about even, imo. Pistols suffer from lack of accuracy, so your damage range is far wider than a rifle, which is a constant damage stream (this is remedied by using the Musketeer's inherant Concentrate skill, which needs 1 Mithridant potion to activate). You trade damage for speed, and it has an arguably better AoE attack than the Rifle. I would imagine Rifle would be the overall best choice, it has a good selection of skills plus Kneeling Shot skills are brutal in PvP if you can position yourself quick enough.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So yeah. First impressions. I'm definitely impressed. I never had this much fun when I was playing WoW, AO, or any of the traditional one character MMO's out there. The leveling grind is very easy as well. After entering the game for the first time it only took me about two minutes to get to level five. The soundtrack is excellent, it ranges from classical music to techno, with some scores being a mix of the two. Surprisingly the techno is tastefully done as well, as it's more there to help with the feeling that you're about to kick an extreme amount of ass. The classical music is excellent too. As i'm typing this i'm actually listening to the login music (A rare thing for me, considering that i'm of the opinion that alot of MMO soundtracks are kind of generic.), which is someone playing on a piano.

The combat is pretty fun too so far. One of the things i've noticed is that the combat AI for your party is pretty intuitive. I don't know whether it's a coincidence or not but several times my party members have done things that saved one of my other party members from taking a beating. For example, in one fight my characters (A musketeer, a wizard, and a fighter.) came up against a group of enemies, amongst them were two fliers, and a group of walking alligators that aggro on sight that tend to wreck my ranged characters if they get close. The fighter ran forwards as my two ranged characters advanced and took down the fliers (Which the fighter couldn't hit.) while the fighter moved up and tanked/took down the ground creatures. What interested me about that fight was that the creatures on the ground presented a closer target for my ranged characters then the aerial ones did, but they chose to go after the aerial ones instead. Then again, not knowing how the AI works I suppose that that could have been a huge coincidence. Still, similar things like that have occured several times now while i've been leveling.

Graphically the game looks awesome, there's a definite sense of style to it. However there seems to be a lack of customization on the part of player-characters. It may have just been that I didn't notice it, but when I went to make my first three characters I couldn't even find a button to swap out their faces. However from what i've read there seems to be alot of late-game customization for PC's, so who knows.

My one big complaint about this game is that I can't change the hot-keys to what I want. Apparently the game requires you to have a mouse-wheel to change the zoom on your party, which is fine if you're on a PC, but if you're on a laptop with a touch pad it's pretty much impossible to change the level at which you're viewing your characters. I've searched high and low for a way to change that particular command, but I haven't found anything within the option menus that would allow it yet.

Oh, and here's some pictures. I took these on the low texture/graphics settings. Keep in mind that i'm playing on a truly craptacular laptop.
    capture00001cf7.png
    capture00002av0.png
    capture00010eq1.png

Make what you will of that last picture.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Would be much more interesting if for a family system you had to fuck other players to make children so that when your character dies you play as your child and inherit some of the parent's left over stuff.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Would be much more interesting if for a family system you had to fuck other players to make children so that when your character dies you play as your child and inherit some of the parent's left over stuff.

Somehow I don't think a game like that would make it over here to America.

Also, I figured out where you can change your hotkeys at, but the button won't work. Anyone know how you can go about getting the "tool" as they put it to execute?

Archonex on
  • Options
    WicketW.WarrickWicketW.Warrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    So yeah. First impressions. I'm definitely impressed. I never had this much

within the option menus that would allow it yet.

Oh, and here's some pictures. I took these on the low texture/graphics settings. Keep in mind that i'm playing on a truly craptacular laptop.
    [img]htp://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1483/capture00001cf7.png[/img]
    [img]htp://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1694/capture00002av0.png[/img]
    [img]htp://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8559/capture00010eq1.png[/img]

Make what you will of that last picture.

Holy shit! That's on the low texture setting? That's really impressive looking, come to think of it I've never seen any screenshots of this game that stand out as something ugly. Mighty good looking game.

I was wondering. I haven't seen any mention of guilds in this game or any kind of community tools, except of course being able to hug people. Where is all the guild/party/house stuff?

P.S. Yay! I got to the beta. I'll download the client in the morrow and check out some of you PA guys for some wang-time.

WicketW.Warrick on
    94970502bg8.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Guilds are called Factions in this game. I don't know too much about them at the moment, but it seems the factions would fight for territorial control at some later date.

Be careful when you're thinking of trying to AFK grind using Patrol mode, the devs sneakily place boxes/crates/barrels in the later areas (24+) which when destroyed creates a HUGE mob army to swarm you, like, 15 monsters. With luck you can take them all out and then some, but usually you'll just die :)

Also others may try and ask you for a PvP match, and after 30 seconds of no response the system automatically accepts.... yeah.

Example screenshot of mob swarm (linked for huge):

capture00011fb4.th.jpg

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Guilds are called Factions in this game. I don't know too much about them at the moment, but it seems the factions would fight for territorial control at some later date.

Be careful when you're thinking of trying to AFK grind using Patrol mode, the devs sneakily place boxes/crates/barrels in the later areas (24+) which when destroyed creates a HUGE mob army to swarm you, like, 15 monsters. With luck you can take them all out and then some, but usually you'll just die :)

Also others may try and ask you for a PvP match, and after 30 seconds of no response the system automatically accepts.... yeah.

Example screenshot of mob swarm (linked for huge):

capture00011fb4.th.jpg

Haha. They occur ALOT earlier then that. I had a couple of them pop around 13 near my party. I was smart enough not to attack them, but two afk parties did. My musketeer and wizard went down in short order, but my warrior trashed like a dozen and a half of them before back-up arrived in the form of two passing groups. It was awesome. He was running around ramming his sword through Zealot's bellies and kicking them off of it after they'd been impaled and generally raising hell.

Edit: Also, pics of a photo shoot (Some guy organized it at Auch City.) coming soon. Apparently there are Fonzie (Eeeeeyyy!), Shoryuken, Hadoken, and a ton of other odd poses. Expect to see a couple of them.

Here's a side-view shot of the group.
    capture00041pf0.th.png

Here's a "long range" frontal view of most of the group.
    capture00051wk5.th.png

Unfortunately I can't go through the area section by section due to there being so many people. I can however highlight some of the more interesting poses/PC's that I found. Anyways, here they are.

See if you can spot the guy wanting to be a pimp in this picture. Hint: He's wearing purple.
    capture00045nm0.th.png

It's a little known fact that every naval officer in the world of Granado Espada is trained in the deadly art of Ninjitsu.
    capture00043ri9.th.png

The same is true of every fat man. (That's actually a special character that can join your barracks/party.)
    capture00049xn8.th.png

I've got more pictures, but I don't want to spam you guys, so i'll hold off for now. Also, sorry if I caused your comp to lag slightly when you opened this page due to all the pictures.

Archonex on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Screw waiting for the final version, survey here I come!

edit: Why the hell did they split up the torrent download of the client? :|

Suriko on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    *sigh* Still waiting for my invite. :(

I guess I'll go install it and patch it while I wait. *twitch*

Arminas on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hrm. Barring 2 hours of Asheron's Call, I'm pretty new to MMOs, so take the following comments as you will.

There doesn't seem to be that much to do... the fighting is fairly interesting for the first hour, but the progression of different areas is pretty linear, and you can see all the skills you can get right from the start. And I know it's a beta, but there doesn't seem to be that much stuff, like different weapons and whatnot. It is pretty, though, and controlling three people is neat. Still, I have to wonder if that'll carry it.

Then again...

ohyeah.jpg

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So I discovered this quest to kill off the ghost of this corrupt Bishop or something. The lead-up to it was pretty good. I basically hooked up with a bunch of soldiers from the starting city and we laid siege to Al Quelt Moreza. Much face-stabbing occured, and that particular quest was relatively easy up until the end. However, considering that the quest target in question has his own bounty out on the notice board in the starting city and that the lead-up quest involved fighting a mother-fucking Demon Lord named Castor (It looked like something out of Warhammer, too.) I figure I had better get a group going for this. So, does anyone around the levels of 12-16 want to kill the Hell-Pope?

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    This game is awesome. I just crawled through a dungeon for like 2 hours just laying waste to anything and everything, and there's nothing quite as fun as being swarmed by 10 enemies and having your Fighter to that Earthbreaker, or Earthquaker or whatever it's called, and watching the whole lot go flying. Just great stuff.

This really does have a lot of the feeling of RO, from the enemy and character designs, to the areas, to the music, and I've totally happy to see that. My only complaint so far is that sometimes the characters just plain stop responding, which has resulted in a few wipes. I'm also not 100% sold on the revive system.

Pb on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How long did it take you guys to get confirmation?

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still haven't get my confirmation :( I guess I fill up the suvey with bad grammar :(

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It took like 3 or 4 days.

Pb on