As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's my best option for dealing with a dead XBox 360?

JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster KittehRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was playing Dragon Age this morning when all of a sudden, I lost the picture on my TV. I thought maybe I'd sat on the remote again, but lo and behold, when I look over at my 360 I see the evil eye of Sauron glaring back at me- or rather, the RROD.

So off to XBox customer service I go- only to find out I'm not under warranty anymore and this is going to cost me.

I just wanted to ask you guys if paying $119.99 to get my old 360 repaired is a good idea- have there been a lot of problems with refurbished machines? I really don't want to have to buy a transfer cable and an entirely new 360 Elite console...

Also- the credit card entry portion of the XBox online repair thing isn't secured. I guess it's over the phone or save up for a new console, because I'm not risking a credit card number on an unsecure page.

steam_sig.png
I can has cheezburger, yes?
JaysonFour on

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    So I was playing Dragon Age this morning when all of a sudden, I lost the picture on my TV. I thought maybe I'd sat on the remote again, but lo and behold, when I look over at my 360 I see the evil eye of Sauron glaring back at me- or rather, the RROD.

So off to XBox customer service I go- only to find out I'm not under warranty anymore and this is going to cost me.

I just wanted to ask you guys if paying $119.99 to get my old 360 repaired is a good idea- have there been a lot of problems with refurbished machines? I really don't want to have to buy a transfer cable and an entirely new 360 Elite console...

Also- the credit card entry portion of the XBox online repair thing isn't secured. I guess it's over the phone or save up for a new console, because I'm not risking a credit card number on an unsecure page.

Same boat 10 months ago. I went for a new $199 system when I got a deal on amazon, and worked off of a USB stick while trying to decide if I was going to take the HD out of the old enclosure or buy a new HD and a transfer cable. I did the second, and am very glad for the result.

I got the transfer cable used at Gamestop, where I immediately asked the employee for the trade-in price. He told me I could just return it for a full refund after use - an unsanctioned offer, to be sure. Ultimately, I just kept the cable so I can be a good fried to someone in the future.

FYI, Microsoft told me that a repair was $119, but that it was $99 if I did it online instead of on the phone. You might want to just see if your Credit Card company offers one-use temporary card numbers for online purchases if that will save you $20.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Back when you got a year warranty on your refurb, it was a good deal, but they recently changed it to 3 months, making it a shitty shitty deal. Myself, I'd go for a new console. You can just move your HDD over if you get one of the older models, no transfer cables needed, or you can go for the new slim, which runs far more quietly, though it hasn't been out long enough to know if it has an RROD issue of its own.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As far as I know, you cannot buy a new "older model" anymore. Microsoft is only selling the slimlines. That means, if you buy new you're going to need to get the transfer cable. Check on the return policy where you buy it, in case it, erm, doesn't work.

If gamestop is still selling the 1yr warranty, I'd go for the refurb. You'll end up spending less, and being less annoyed because of the hd issue.The dlc licensing issue is a pain in the ass. Especially if you have a lot of Rockband tracks, getting your licences sorted out will take you a long time. xbox support won't do it over the phone in a batch, and you have to do them by hand on the website too - no multiselect. Mess up and let the window time out, and you can't try again for 6 months... so you'll be calling xbox support to get that fixed too. So repair might save you some headache.

I'm surprised to hear it'll cost you $120 for a repair, and you aren't getting a warranty on the work? If you do get a warranty, that'd be the way I chose and in fact I did choose that way three times, getting my original one repaired and having gamestop replace failed refurbs for free.

I decided to skimp on the warranty for a 2nd repair on my original, got burned, and bought a new slimline. The other repaired console is still running, and I sold my 3rd, perfectly functioning refurb (and the original dead one) to gamestop for money off the slimline.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You can still find new older models out there. There are still Arcades, Cores and Elites in the wild, as it were.

A repair is 119$ and you only get 3 months warranty on the repair, which isn't good enough to be honest.

As to the whole license issue, a repair might save you the hassle, unless it is exchanged, which happens with quite a few RROD consoles.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    As far as I know, you cannot buy a new "older model" anymore. Microsoft is only selling the slimlines. That means, if you buy new you're going to need to get the transfer cable. Check on the return policy where you buy it, in case it, erm, doesn't work.

NB: there's videos on the tubes on getting the old HDs to work with the slimlines. It basically involves a hammer or a bit, and either throwing the hard drive at the connector or lowering it with sticky tape into position in the hard drive bay. If you're too cheap to buy a cable, there's the free version.

LaPuzza on