As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Gaslight, any room for the comics to come back in the OP? :)

Speaking of comics...

paspouse.jpg

As long as i'm caretaker, yes, I just haven't saved all the good ones so I need to track them down. That one will be in, and if Simone could be so kind as to re-post the original I SERVE THE NEWELL one again?

TychoCelchuu, that's bloody fantastic.

Gaslight, here's a link to an old OP with the comics.
    Including mine. :)

peekandpoke.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    VicWhiten wrote: »
    I am ashamed to say I forgot who actually made Steam Roulette a reality. If someone could remind me or if the creator could step forward so I can properly credit them in the OP, I'd appreciate it.

Holy crap I made the OP? Thats my site, still working on making it better and whatnot. Thanks!!!

Yeah, I added it in the last OP at the bottom of the Cool Community Addons section. Gas mustve grabbed the OP to copy it before I added it.

And yeah. I removed most of the fluff from the OP when I was doing it, so as to have more room for useful information.... that no one reads.

Decoy on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Apparently Dungeon Defenders is available Q2 2011, I guess they finally sorted out their problems.

Err, aren't we already in Q3?

Shhhhhhhhh.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Winners of the Scavenger Hunt

SvK and Manetherenwolff

Runner up EvilMonkey

And once again big thanks for the extra prizes to the classy
    Blackbird SR-71C
    Nathrak
    Forar

I appreciate the free copy of Sanctum. I'm happier about the other two copies I get to give away. I was most pleased by solving all those clever puzzles.

SvK on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Apparently Dungeon Defenders is available Q2 2011, I guess they finally sorted out their problems.

Err, aren't we already in Q3?

Shhhhhhhhh.

Wishlist:

Dungeon Defenders
    Added on December 6th, 2010

:(

Decoy on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Viking wrote: »
    Is there going to be some kind of Zeboyd 2 pack with both games?
    Either way consider both bought so hard the second they show on the store.

Actually there is only a Zeboyd 2-pack; Essentially you buy Cthulhu Saves the World ($2.99) and it comes with Breath of Death VII. There will be a BoDVII game page, and so if you go to purchase that you will be taken to the combo pack.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Awesome.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'll have more information later, but I will be giving away copies of CStW and BoD in what I like to call "Cthulhu Saves My Birthday."

So if you were a bad forumer and forgot to set aside a little cash for these gems, I have got your back.
    am I still a bad forumer if I didn't have any money to set aside to begin with?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Okay, found out why Hitman goes black like that; it happens when I set the AA to anything but disabled. Even moving it to 2x causes that darkened issue.

Anyone know of a fix?

Turn if off in game and force it through the video card control panel?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And yes, Dungeons of Dredmor also comes out on Wednesday. I'm in the beta and it's an awesome roguelike so make sure to add it to your cart when you're buying our games. :)

Oh, thanks for the heads up; I'd forgotten to check their website due to the Steam sale. I can't help but fear, though, that the much-discussed reason they've decided to sell the game for only $5 is because they intend to sell a deluge of DLC. If that's the case, I'll ignore the game entirely.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Summer Sale: dodged!

e~ How do some people have B0D7 and CSTW? I can't find them in steam!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Probably not much of a chance of winning with only 10 tickets.
    As much a chance as anyone with 1 ticket. Times ten.

Ten is probably decent. I've got plenty of friends with two or three entries (not really trying). Don't feel bad about not having 30+ tickets like all us crazy Steam sale obsessed veterans. You will join us soon. It is inevitable. Think of how much better your chances would be with just one more ticket... just one more. Wait for Christmas. (unless The Newell decides to implement quarterly sales... or more events like the Potato Pack...)

<Palpatine>Soon the Alliance will be crushed, and Zilla will be one of us.</Palpatine>
    :lol:

You have forty tickets? :o

I always think people like you must exist in some lucky, paradoxical confluence of both free time AND money. :P
    I'm a sucker for those indie 5-packs that show up around Christmas... so this sale, I had alot of the games already and could spend only a few minutes to get a ticket. The tickets (especially the ones I got) aren't very time consuming given you actually have the games. But I did drop nearly $100 on games, including gifts this sale now that I add it up, hmmm, that's higher than I thought. I don't think I even *meant* to buy Hamilton's Great Adventure... I may have a problem. (wait, I think Zombie Atom Smasher showed up as Hamilton's Great Adventure in my email from Steam... odd)

No. The batshit crazy thing I did and sacrificed more sleep than I should have for was the golden potato. It's one of those things I'm both impressed and depressed about doing. I... I didn't really *intend* to get all the potatoes, I was just having fun playing all those games and couldn't stop. Just one more potato.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    When do they announce the winners for the wishlist thing? Have they done it already?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just assume there's no way in hell I'll win the wishlist giveaway contest, so I only went after enough tickets to get the prizes I really wanted.

That meant I was able to stop giving a shit after 12 tickets, which was nice.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I just assume there's no way in hell I'll win the wishlist giveaway contest, so I only went after enough tickets to get the prizes I really wanted.

That meant I was able to stop giving a shit after 12 tickets, which was nice.

This is what I did. I earned enough tickets to get the content I wanted to get then stopped caring.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

They go on sale on Wednesday, but we have review codes for them already, some of which we've given away for fun.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZhirzzhZhirzzh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

They go on sale on Wednesday, but we have review codes for them already, some of which we've given away for fun.

If I try one of your games first, which should it be?

Zhirzzh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    When do they announce the winners for the wishlist thing? Have they done it already?

After August 1st, I think. They have to allow time for post cards to come in from people who chose to play without purchasing anything (legal requirement).

mwoody on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »

No, apparently they have to wait for the postcards to come in (so that this isn't considered gambling/a lottery in some states/countries) so the winners will be chosen in the next 3 weeks or so (by early August, I believe).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I remember reading in the terms and conditions that the winners for those who entered by mail will be announced separately.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Wait, if they do that - like, pick a few prizes and say "we'll give these to mailbox people" - it would probably mean you had a tremendously higher chance to win via postcard. That can't be right.

mwoody on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I know that Breath of Death VII is an RPG parody, but I don't know anything about Cthulhu Saves the World. Someone get me excited about CStW, too.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Another two hours offered up to Gratuitous Space Battles.

"Oh look, I won this battle, but not quite enough. Lets use that honor to buy a couple new modules. Oops, still won, but did worse. Tinker some more!"

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mwoody wrote: »
    Wait, if they do that - like, pick a few prizes and say "we'll give these to mailbox people" - it would probably mean you had a tremendously higher chance to win via postcard. That can't be right.

Presumably one postcard = 1 ticket so you'd have the same odds of winning as someone who had 1 ticket online through the sale. I don't think they'd be setting things aside specifically for a certain means of contest entry.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »

"Oh look, I won this battle, but not quite enough. Lets use that honor to buy a couple new modules. Oops, still won, but did worse. Tinker some more!"

I have this game sitting in my library uninstalled with zero playtime and you keep making me want to install it and try it out. Oh well, I might as well give it a shot. Hah.

Edit: 251Mb, hah. Fair enough.

Decoy on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zhirzzh wrote: »

If I try one of your games first, which should it be?

I'd start with CSTW because it's bigger and IMO better :) BODVII is simpler, but it has a rougher difficulty curve.

Vegan wrote: »
    I know that Breath of Death VII is an RPG parody, but I don't know anything about Cthulhu Saves the World. Someone get me excited about CStW, too.

You play as Cthulhu, who has lost his powers and must now be a hero to gain them back; so he can in turn destroy the world himself properly. The game itself builds upon BODVII's gameplay; fast paced battles, pretty rapid level ups with a customizeable level up system, 7+ characters to choose from. An over the top ridiculous story. The characters and settings are all inspired/based on Cthulhu / Lovecraft mythos. The game itself is more advanced in its presentation as well as complexity and options than BODVII. Lots of little things like save-anywhere and 1ups help keep the game moving forward.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »

I have this game sitting in my library uninstalled with zero playtime and you keep making me want to install it and try it out. Oh well, I might as well give it a shot. Hah.

Edit: 251Mb, hah. Fair enough.

Its a lot of fun if you're into tinkering and then getting instant gratification to see the results and then tinkering some more.

I mean, after 4 hours of playing, I've only played the first 2 non-tutorial Battles. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i am kind of wondering why no one is playing Fa-threer. Its lots of fun, just like the other 2. but almost no one is playing the co-op or the multi.

i mean, its going to be 60$ on your consoles.. but its 49.99 here!!

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mighty wrote: »
    i am kind of wondering why no one is playing Fa-threer. Its lots of fun, just like the other 2. but almost no one is playing the co-op or the multi.

Its in my wishlist, so I'll play it if I win it I guess :P

The game is full price and this is the Steam thread. That should tell you all you need to know.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I hope you guys make billions!

I'll help!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    mwoody wrote: »

Presumably one postcard = 1 ticket so you'd have the same odds of winning as someone who had 1 ticket online through the sale. I don't think they'd be setting things aside specifically for a certain means of contest entry.

It doesn't make sense to me either, but that's the only way it would work if Chrono Helix is correct (should have quoted his post in my reply, I guess).

mwoody on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mighty wrote: »

Actually Gamestop has Fear 3 for $30 on PC til the end of the week. Its steamworks so it registers from retail copies.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sweepstakes Winners. Sponsor will select one hundred (100) winners by random drawing from all valid entries by July 12, 2011. No later than August 1, 2011, Sponsor will hold a random drawing for alternative entries received, using the same odds as applied for the Achievements based Sweepstakes drawing (determined by the number of Achievement entries).

So there we have it.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would like to win my top ten, but I'm not expecting to, and I didn't get the ticket achievements with that in mind.

I got the tickets because it was a fun little metagame for me, with prizes!

Winning my top ten would just be delicious, delicious gravy.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got the tickets to win my 10 and another 10 hopefully as well. So I'm this for 20. I'll accept 10, though, if they screw up half of it.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A very very classy gent just gifted me plants vs zombies!

Take a bow Manetherenwolf

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it worth playing X and X2 or should I just go straight to X3?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it worth playing X and X2 or should I just go straight to X3?

Your Av/Sig had me really confused what this was doing in the steam thread for a second.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So, essentially what that thing is saying is that if there are 1,000,000 Achievement entries drawn on the 12th, then, in August, when the 20,000 letters are added, they'll be thrown into a pool with 980,000 blanks, and 100 tickets will then be pulled again.

So, really, no better odds if you send in a letter or enter via achievement, if I'm understanding it right.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Guys, guys, guys..

I have so many new games to try. So Many.

But I started with Trine.

I can't stop playing it. My girlfriend dragged me off to bed because we have to get up early... and once she fell asleep, I snuck out and played more.

Damn you, Trine

APODionysus on