As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Does anybody have a handy saved copy of that other comic edit from a couple threads ago, the on where Gabe is going to sell Kara to get more money for Steam games only to discover she already sold him that morning? Or maybe it was Tycho and Brenna. Either way I thought it was one worthy of preserving.

It occurred to me tonight that, at least in theory, I should be safe from buying any more games for at least a little while, because almost anything I buy know I will feel like a schmuck for not buying when it was cheaper during the sale. But of course there are always dailies and midweeks.

Hey, speaking of which: midweek madness tomorrow?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Does anybody have a handy saved copy of that other comic edit from a couple threads ago, the on where Gabe is going to sell Kara to get more money for Steam games only to discover she already sold him that morning? Or maybe it was Tycho and Brenna. Either way I thought it was one worthy of preserving.

It occurred to me tonight that, at least in theory, I should be safe from buying any more games for at least a little while, because almost anything I buy know I will feel like a schmuck for not buying when it was cheaper during the sale. But of course there are always dailies and midweeks.

Hey, speaking of which: midweek madness tomorrow?

You forgot to say "Except for BoDVII/CSTW of course, which I will be buying Day One regardless of how much money I spent on the Steam Sale. Landlords take IOUs, right?"

APODionysus on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    RainbowDespair and/or Slash000 do the PC versions of your games detect 360 pads?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can speak that they do. Rather, they detect my Motioninjoy emulation of a 360 pad with my PS3 controller, so they're do the real thing.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cool. It wouldn't really make sense for them not to, I mean they had to already have written the gamepad code for the 360 version obviously.

I bought both games when they came out on XBLIG but I'm far more likely to complete a game if it's on PC.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Manetherenwolf and, by extension, bloodatonement are hoopy froods for having gifted me PAAOtRSPoD:ep2 (pronounced paa-ot-rispud), which I lacked. You are well esteemed!

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Winners of the Scavenger Hunt

SvK and Manetherenwolff

Runner up EvilMonkey

And once again big thanks for the extra prizes to the classy
    Blackbird SR-71C
    Nathrak
    Forar

And thanks to everyone who played!

For those stuck on Puzzle 2, if you still wanna play:

"he who died that day is the key"

all lowercase, with space.

This was a ton of fun trying to go through.

It took knowledge of the comic, various computer code stuff (thank you tech classes in HS 11 years ago...), some photoshopping, and code solving to finally get the whole thing done.

also kudos for the Reference in the last clue that ties it all together as a great closer for the sale.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Is it worth playing X and X2 or should I just go straight to X3?

You should skip straight to terran conflict. It has some really good UI improvements over the rest, and you are missing nothing but pain by skipping the rest.

Morkath on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can we get an actual explanation of the scavenger hunt? Because it made my head hurt, even early on.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sup in dis bitch

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    slash000 wrote: »

You play as Cthulhu, who has lost his powers and must now be a hero to gain them back; so he can in turn destroy the world himself properly. The game itself builds upon BODVII's gameplay; fast paced battles, pretty rapid level ups with a customizeable level up system, 7+ characters to choose from. An over the top ridiculous story. The characters and settings are all inspired/based on Cthulhu / Lovecraft mythos. The game itself is more advanced in its presentation as well as complexity and options than BODVII. Lots of little things like save-anywhere and 1ups help keep the game moving forward.
    Sold, my good sir.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Can we get an actual explanation of the scavenger hunt? Because it made my head hurt, even early on.

Me too, I tried all kinds of number->letter conversions and got nowhere on the first step.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I'll post solutions in the morning (was out seeing Xmen)

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone want to get together for a Magicka online adventure tonight? start on the first chapter and work from there?

Shade on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I'll post solutions in the morning (was out seeing Xmen)

I can do it if you dont mind :D

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I'm digging Vampire so far. If the other characters come across as well written as this guy, then it's likely going to live up to the enormous hype.

My only complaint? Third person view is incredibly janky, and you're forced to use it while in combat. Why is the mouse angled in such a bizarre position instead of just being dead centered? Is there a mod or other method to fix this?

Also this game has some of the largest doors ever.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    harvest wrote: »

Me too, I tried all kinds of number->letter conversions and got nowhere on the first step.
    The first one was simple ASCII codes. Hold down your Left Alt button and type in your number pad the number listed.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I'm digging Vampire so far. If the other characters come across as well written as this guy, then it's likely going to live up to the enormous hype.

My only complaint? Third person view is incredibly janky, and you're forced to use it while in combat. Why is the mouse angled in such a bizarre position instead of just being dead centered? Is there a mod or other method to fix this?

Also this game has some of the largest doors ever.

There's a mod floating around to lock you into first person during melee, but the problem is that the game was never designed for that, so there are no first person melee animations.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If the other characters come across as well written as this guy, then it's likely going to live up to the enormous hype.

I did something there.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And thus it came to be that Jobastion was a gent of extreme classiness.
    Terraria is now mine thanks in part due to the existence of Bucket Wheel Excavators.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »

The first one was simple ASCII codes. Hold down your Left Alt button and type in your number pad the number listed.

I actually forgot about that and just used an ASCII conversion list. :D

The 2nd one was where things got tough.

Blood gave me permission to post the solutions so here goes:

Clue 1
    This was ASCII code. When converted (as mentioned above), it was a Mediafire link to a zip file. In this was an image and a Zip file with a password protection

Clue 2
    The image was of 3 parts of panels from 2 different penny arcade strips. The first 2 were from the CTS arc "The Hawk and the Hare", the 3rd was from another one which turned out to be irrelevant. The clue there was "The Hawk and the Hare Pt. 2".

If you tried to open the Zip file (or viewed what files were in it, which you can do without opening it) There were 3 files there. 2 images, and a TXT file titled "themanwhodiedisthekey"

After a lot of different ideas, I noticed that the strip in the clue was released on Christmas Day 2006. This was the day James Brown died. the password was "james brown"

Clue 3
    So in the zip as I mentioned were 2 new images. 2 different steam logos, in reversed colors. faded in the back was binary code. after doing a quick cut and paste in photoshop to get rid of the black areas on one of the images (replacing them with the white versions from the other), then running the binary through a translator you get a Tinyurl link to a post from an earlier Steam Thread that Blood ran, which he had editted to add the final clue.

Clue 4
    The contents of the post

Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh
    1 2 3 4

135 81 98

95 191

37 92 93

77 148 112

62 41 122 123 72

19 21 194

The name of the game is name that game
    img.php?s=5&d=Email%20your%20answer%20to%20bloodatonement97%40yahoo.com

So first off, the QR code says email your answer to *his email here*

The code though reference the song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh (a song about Summer Camp experiences... awesome choice!)

The 1,2,3,4 under the lines references the word count on the lyrics (since those are the first 4 words of the song).

So putting all that down you get:

Noise scare party
    organize guys
    remember theyre about
    dont stay leave
    coach got eaten by something
    have fun playing

And since its Name the Game: The answer of course... Left 4 Dead 2.

And there you have it! The scavenger hunt!

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I almost forgot to mention that DoctorArch is indeed a classy gent. Though there was no question.

Only sad part is I wasted my last three tickets on that Alien Breed game (which I'll likely never play), instead of grabbing the Magicka DLC. Since, you know, I have Magicka now.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Go straight to Terran Conflict. Everything else is safely skipped.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Got stuck on the second clue. Were we supposed to look at the images ( The Hawk and the Hare part 2)? Or the ZIP file?

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Man, PoP 2008 is pretty good. Looks like it's going to be a pretty brief game, as I've cleansed over half the areas and killed two of the four bosses. Considering how little I paid for it, I don't think I'll complain. Really, the last thing I need is a bunch of overly long games in this deep Steam backlog of mine.

The Prince is a bit too snarky, but the dialogue is alright and I am impressed that they put so much effort into the two characters' interacting animations.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Got stuck on the second clue. Were we supposed to look at the images ( The Hawk and the Hare part 2)? Or the ZIP file?

Both

the Hawk and the Hare part 2 was to point you to the date, and the name of the text file in the zip was supposed to point you to someone that died on that day

Maddoc on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was going to wait until he announced the winners but...

Let it be known henceforth that Jobastian is a gent of the classiest order for gifting me Terraria. Another game I'll never play!
    Nah just kidding I'll play it!
    Eventually.
    Someday...

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Man, PoP 2008 is pretty good. Looks like it's going to be a pretty brief game,

Especially since it's missing the end of the game.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Viking wrote: »
    And thus it came to be that Jobastion was a gent of extreme classiness.

This is a truefact, I have a copy of Hoard that attests to his classiness

Maddoc on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

Wait, what?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I posted the full solution above if you are curious.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bullio wrote: »

Go straight to Terran Conflict. Everything else is safely skipped.

Thanks! Any mods I should pick up?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I hope you guys bought Two Worlds II during the sale. Turns out it's an excellent game, a far cry from the first game.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

Wait, what?

The Epilogue DLC never came to PC.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Contest is over (as of two hours ago what the hell am I still doing awake?)

Strike the Earth!
    Raze the Ground!

Winners:
    Hoard
    3rd Place:
    Man's awesome power to shape the virtual earth?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8SgetpcjdI
    Second Place
    HiT BiT wrote:
    I love how this video is edited with the music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPM88wxCH4
    And first place, and also the only person to submit a Gif, goes to
    Maddoc wrote:
    godzilla.gif
    Terraria
    Everyone's a winner.
    That entered.
    Because I only had three entries.
    But I liked most of them :D
    In third place:
    darunia106 wrote:
    Second place, and forced to D'Lurk
    Kineese wrote:
    Because screw those trees. They just get in my way, especially if I'm trying to build my house in Terraria

And winner, because this is the most awesome machine man has ever created ever
    Viking wrote:
    there is one of these in Borderlands, for sustained destruction of the land this would be my go-to machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWlcqdPJEPg

BucketWheelExcavator.jpg
    this thing can destroy land quicker than anything else man made.
    And a special mention goes to ToyD
    who first failed to send a moving image, then ... in an act of terribleness, sent a video of a nuclear strike.
    Which would have been ok, excepting that it was this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6Q8Q1smwg
    AT SEA. An underwater nuclear test. UNDER WATER! Which is not land at all. Or ground. No prize is awarded.
    Strike the Earth and Raze the Ground gentlemen and ladies!
    Enjoy your games.
    (And for certain individuals, accept those friend requests so I can send those games!)

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

Both

the Hawk and the Hare part 2 was to point you to the date, and the name of the text file in the zip was supposed to point you to someone that died on that day

I got stuck here, very confused, as no-one died in The Hawk and the Hare Part 2, and by Part 4 two nameless guys who appeared in part 2 were dead.

Nice set of puzzles though :^:

area on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm torn between wanting to finish AssBro and wanting to stop playing because the game crashes every 15 minutes or so. From what I've searched and read, ACBSP.exe crashing is a common problem that has no one fix that works. The last thing I want to do is a full reinstall, but I may have to resort to that because other than running in XP compatibility mode that's the only thing I haven't tried.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Just run away. Just put the game down and run away. This game will devour you. Ive played 7 hours and all Ive done is haul ore. I dont even know if this game has a story. But I do know it has 7 hours of ore hauling.

Now if youll excuse me, I have an ore delivery to make.

emp123 on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm torn between wanting to finish AssBro and wanting to stop playing because the game crashes every 15 minutes or so. From what I've searched and read, ACBSP.exe crashing is a common problem that has no one fix that works. The last thing I want to do is a full reinstall, but I may have to resort to that because other than running in XP compatibility mode that's the only thing I haven't tried.

Aw, really? :(

This makes me sad, as I am very much looking forward to doing my first PC playthrough of AssBro once I finish my first PC playthrough of AssCreed2. The entire AssCreed series looks so goddamn good on PC <3. Hopefully my trend of having really good luck with games that usually crash for pretty much everyone else will continue. :?

I...there's something I need to vent about.

I just finished a 3-hour L4D2 one-on-one Versus session. The horrible AI took its toll many, many times throughout, and got very frustrating by the end (myself and two bots had made it to the saferoom, when Coach saw fit to open the door and let the Tank in, ending the game very quickly). This put me at the beginning of a very lengthy and discombobulated (I'm somewhat medicated, you see) thought process that ended up with me wondering...what the hell do the developers at Valve do with their time? As long as it takes them to do anything (episode 3, L4D1 maps in L4D2, etc.), and as infrequently as they put out games...what are they doing over there? It's not like they're short on funding. We've all done our part to ensure that, I think.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark here. It is late, and as I said, I am medicated.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I bought a bunch of games during the sale but due to my backlog clearing attempts I am currently stuck (in a good way) finishing Stalker SoC and Aquaria first.

Both so good!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.