As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    What are the chances of Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII having Steam Cloud support? It won't affect my decision to buy it, but as someone who travels frequently, I love when a game supports it.

We didn't find out that we were approved for Steam until relatively late so we don't have any Steamworks features at the moment. Maybe our next game.

And yes, Dungeons of Dredmor also comes out on Wednesday. I'm in the beta and it's an awesome roguelike so make sure to add it to your cart when you're buying our games. :)

Wait, what? Does that mean that Cthulhu Saves the World is coming to the PC? That's awesome, because it always gave me a sadface that I couldn't play it :)

Is there a (very approximate) release date yet?

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    busfahrer wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    What are the chances of Cthulu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII having Steam Cloud support? It won't affect my decision to buy it, but as someone who travels frequently, I love when a game supports it.

We didn't find out that we were approved for Steam until relatively late so we don't have any Steamworks features at the moment. Maybe our next game.

And yes, Dungeons of Dredmor also comes out on Wednesday. I'm in the beta and it's an awesome roguelike so make sure to add it to your cart when you're buying our games. :)

Wait, what? Does that mean that Cthulhu Saves the World is coming to the PC? That's awesome, because it always gave me a sadface that I couldn't play it :)

Is there a (very approximate) release date yet?

Tomorrow (Wednesday),

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In my fantasies, whenever I ask what the release date of a cool game I just found out about is, the answer is always "tomorrow."

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    In my fantasies, whenever I ask what the release date of a cool game I just found out about is, the answer is always "tomorrow."

My thoughts exactly :)

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So wow, the AI War tutorial

Goes pretty quick up until the "Campaign simulation tutorial"

Which I have been playing for three hours now, with no end in sight

That said, it is a very good tutorial, and anything less would probably just leave me completely fucking lost because this game is immense

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So wow, the AI War tutorial

Goes pretty quick up until the "Campaign simulation tutorial"

Which I have been playing for three hours now, with no end in sight

That said, it is a very good tutorial, and anything less would probably just leave me completely fucking lost because this game is immense

Yeah, it tooks me hours as well, but I had so much fun with it. It's probably also because I pause all the time and plan things and stuff

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

.... (and more dots)
    And there you have it! The scavenger hunt!

Whoa.. Just whoa.. hats off to you good sir. Excellent sleuthing work! I got lost on part 2 (didn't realise that the ZIP file was meant to have been used together with the images) D:

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fear 3, Duke Nukem Forever, Dungeon Siege 3 are all 30 bucks on Amazon atm. They're physical copies though, but are all Steamworks games and can be registered.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've put 10 hours into Atom Zombie Smasher and I still haven't managed to beat the campaign (I refuse to use modifiers to do this). This is not a complaint, it's still my surprise hit of the sale. It just doesn't take kindly to mistakes, and when you make them you know it's YOUR mistake.

Sometimes you get a not-so-great loadout to bring to your next mission. You can't even blame failure on this, though, because this is where the heavy risk-reward comes into play. When picking from a list of missions of varying difficulty (and reward), you must decide what you can currently accomplish with what you have. Bite off more than you can chew, and you may be feeling the consequences long afterwards.

Just throwing that out there, because I know that there is a type of gamer that eats up games with these traits.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I refused to use modifiers for a while too. But they really do counteract some of the poorer design decisions, such as forcing you to have a rescue helicopter for every mission, effectively giving you a totally useless merc every time you head into a level 4 outbreak.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I did terribly my first time through the Atom Zombie Smasher campaign but I did surprisingly well my second. That is, until I started getting really shitty merc combinations and the zombies made up a 1500 point gap.

And then I played with modifiers. I dominated and all it took was being able to choose your own mercs.

emp123 on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Trine is fuckawesome and pretty. REALLY pretty.

Shade on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think I haven't said it yet in this current incarnation of the Steam thread, so here it goes:

You guys have to play Jamestown, it's great fun, and really polished!

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I still haven't played Trine :( It's just sitting there... taunting my lack of backlog motivation.

I'll get to it one day, I promise.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Can we get an actual explanation of the scavenger hunt? Because it made my head hurt, even early on.

Me too, I tried all kinds of number->letter conversions and got nowhere on the first step.
    The first one was simple ASCII codes. Hold down your Left Alt button and type in your number pad the number listed.

I actually forgot about that and just used an ASCII conversion list. :D

The 2nd one was where things got tough.

Blood gave me permission to post the solutions so here goes:

Clue 1
    This was ASCII code. When converted (as mentioned above), it was a Mediafire link to a zip file. In this was an image and a Zip file with a password protection

Clue 2
    The image was of 3 parts of panels from 2 different penny arcade strips. The first 2 were from the CTS arc "The Hawk and the Hare", the 3rd was from another one which turned out to be irrelevant. The clue there was "The Hawk and the Hare Pt. 2".

If you tried to open the Zip file (or viewed what files were in it, which you can do without opening it) There were 3 files there. 2 images, and a TXT file titled "themanwhodiedisthekey"

After a lot of different ideas, I noticed that the strip in the clue was released on Christmas Day 2006. This was the day James Brown died. the password was "james brown"

Clue 3
    So in the zip as I mentioned were 2 new images. 2 different steam logos, in reversed colors. faded in the back was binary code. after doing a quick cut and paste in photoshop to get rid of the black areas on one of the images (replacing them with the white versions from the other), then running the binary through a translator you get a Tinyurl link to a post from an earlier Steam Thread that Blood ran, which he had editted to add the final clue.

Clue 4
    The contents of the post

Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh
    1 2 3 4

135 81 98

95 191

37 92 93

77 148 112

62 41 122 123 72

19 21 194

The name of the game is name that game
    img.php?s=5&d=Email%20your%20answer%20to%20bloodatonement97%40yahoo.com

So first off, the QR code says email your answer to *his email here*

The code though reference the song Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh (a song about Summer Camp experiences... awesome choice!)

The 1,2,3,4 under the lines references the word count on the lyrics (since those are the first 4 words of the song).

So putting all that down you get:

Noise scare party
    organize guys
    remember theyre about
    dont stay leave
    coach got eaten by something
    have fun playing

And since its Name the Game: The answer of course... Left 4 Dead 2.
    And there you have it! The scavenger hunt!

That is fantastic. Good on bloodatonement and the solvers!
    Vegan wrote: »
    I've put 10 hours into Atom Zombie Smasher and I still haven't managed to beat the campaign (I refuse to use modifiers to do this). This is not a complaint, it's still my surprise hit of the sale. It just doesn't take kindly to mistakes, and when you make them you know it's YOUR mistake.

Sometimes you get a not-so-great loadout to bring to your next mission. You can't even blame failure on this, though, because this is where the heavy risk-reward comes into play. When picking from a list of missions of varying difficulty (and reward), you must decide what you can currently accomplish with what you have. Bite off more than you can chew, and you may be feeling the consequences long afterwards.

Just throwing that out there, because I know that there is a type of gamer that eats up games with these traits.
    emp123 wrote: »
    I did terribly my first time through the Atom Zombie Smasher campaign but I did surprisingly well my second. That is, until I started getting really shitty merc combinations and the zombies made up a 1500 point gap.

And then I played with modifiers. I dominated and all it took was being able to choose your own mercs.

Yeah, it's almost two games. With "Chooser" on its a pretty easy and very fun mashup of choplifter and tower defense. Without that modifier, that lets you choose which mercs to take to a mission, it's a very hard but still fun game with a punishing, almost roguelike streak in it. You have to like (at some level) the kind of randomness that sometimes starts you next to Shaka Zulu with no Iron or Horses, or denies your awesome draft deck with six lands off the top of the deck.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The X-Com contest is now over - thanks for all the entries, they were awesome!

The winner is AuburnTiger, with this entry:
    which took me back, and metaphorically hit me over the heartstrings. Love it.

AuburnTiger, PM me your Steam ID so I can send you your prize!

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You guys, Cargo is so awesome I'm barely playing it. I have objectives to complete, but I'd rather drive around in a crazy vehicle that I designed myself, listening to wacky music and looking at the surreal scenery.

SvK on
  • Options
    SketchMonkeySketchMonkey New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    quick question for anyone who has Neverwinter Nights 2. What are the essential mods for it, if any? The ignvault is all sorts of intimidating so if anyone has the chance to list them, I'd really appreciate it.

SketchMonkey on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Didn't see this new thread (whoops) and posted in the old one. So, to re-iterate:

I'd like to throw in a thanks to the ever so classy rikdaly for gifting me Terraria.

He did it yesterday but I couldn't redeem till I got home, so the thanks is a little late but no less sincere. <3

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Go to bed for 6 hours and come back to find we have only moved 3 pages. it'll take some getting used to.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pfffth, real men don't need photoshop. Real men use notepad! :P

So tomorrow...any chance we're getting a 4-pack type option (with or without discount) on the Zeboyd games or do I just risk letting Steam detect suspicious activity? :P

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Man, PoP 2008 is pretty good. Looks like it's going to be a pretty brief game,

Especially since it's missing the end of the game.
    Wait, what?

The Epilogue DLC never came to PC.

It was dumb in the butt, anyways. I had some sort of bug, but the game should of ended the way it did for me:
    As you pick up her lifeless body, and slowly walk out of the temple with it the credits roll. Thats it. It makes you think about all the times she selflessly saved you, and what you ended up doing to her while having to very slowly carry it to an altar where you set her down. It also makes the princes character alot more ambiguous throughout the game.

Then all of a sudden you undo everything you did in the god damn game in the next 5 minutes, and then REDO the entire god damn game in the 2 hours of DLC.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow, so I just went through my Steam list to see what I'm going to install and play next, because Magicka is fun, but it just gets obnoxiously hard really quick.

As I was going through my games I said atleast 4x, What the fuck game is that??? Damn you summer sales!!! I'll still play them, but first I must smoke a cigar while creating a Tropical Paradise ruled under an Iron Fist!!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Man, I thought Monday Night Combat was my worst purchase since the game sucks, but I was wrong. X3 is clearly my worst purchase since it now owns my soul.

Monday Night Combat is still boring though.

emp123 on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I thought Monday Night Combat was my worst purchase since the game sucks, but I was wrong. X3 is clearly my worst purchase since it now owns my soul.

Sadly, I have to agree with you on both accounts. X3 looked like something I'd really like, but I just can't stand extremely complicated games that drop you into their sandbox without as much as a decent tutorial. In X3 and this threads defense, everyone did say that the learning curve was a wall and that in order to enjoy it, it would take a long time and effort.

As far as MNC goes... I'm still sad. Like genuinely sad.

Decoy on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Didn't see this new thread (whoops) and posted in the old one. So, to re-iterate:

I'd like to throw in a thanks to the ever so classy rikdaly for gifting me Terraria.

He did it yesterday but I couldn't redeem till I got home, so the thanks is a little late but no less sincere. <3

no problem at all, hope you enjoy it as much as I've been doing

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Yeah, Atom Zombie Smasher is my sleeper hit of the sale. While I understand the approach of making you roll with a certain set of mercenaries, I feel like that is the only flaw in this otherwise solid game. Maybe the randomness could be a little more balanced or something. When you're pinned down and starting to get overrun with Level 4 outbreaks, and all the game gives you are a chopper, mines, barricades, dynamite and bait, all you can really do is concede the round. Perhaps it could let you choose a replacement for the rescue chopper if you drop in to a Level 4...but then everyone would choose artillery and break the level.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    By the way, is there any info on how much Cthulhu Saves the World will cost on Steam? I think it was something like $3 for the XBox?

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

Sadly, I have to agree with you on both accounts. X3 looked like something I'd really like, but I just can't stand extremely complicated games that drop you into their sandbox without as much as a decent tutorial. In X3 and this threads defense, everyone did say that the learning curve was a wall and that in order to enjoy it, it would take a long time and effort.

Im really digging X3. Like way more than I expected to. One of my best (and worst) purchases from the sale. I bought it because its pretty. I keep playing it because I have a problem.

emp123 on
  • Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, PoP 2008 is pretty good. Looks like it's going to be a pretty brief game,

Especially since it's missing the end of the game.
    Wait, what?

The Epilogue DLC never came to PC.

This is not a bad thing.

The Epilogue I found ruined the ending.

Amazing article on precisely why I feel this way. Warning: Do not read if you have not beat POP 08
    http://www.pixelpoppers.com/2010/02/choice-is-not-yours-why-prince-of.html

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    By the way, is there any info on how much Cthulhu Saves the World will cost on Steam? I think it was something like $3 for the XBox?

$3 for BOD7 and CSTW together, and you can't buy them separately.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    But when will they be on 80% off in 4-packs?

...sorry, still in summer sale mode...

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure if this kind of post is frowned upon in here, but here it goes:

I made a thread for Jamestown that you should participate in, yes

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    area wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Got stuck on the second clue. Were we supposed to look at the images ( The Hawk and the Hare part 2)? Or the ZIP file?

Both

the Hawk and the Hare part 2 was to point you to the date, and the name of the text file in the zip was supposed to point you to someone that died on that day

I got stuck here, very confused, as no-one died in The Hawk and the Hare Part 2, and by Part 4 two nameless guys who appeared in part 2 were dead.

Nice set of puzzles though :^:

Yeah I knew it was the date, but because those images from The Hawk and the Hare are from part 4, I assumed it was from part 4.

I also found the comic the runner was from, so I did the same thing for that, and was trying to find someone who died in the olympics :O

Kai_San on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

I thought I was the only one. :( I played it for a game or two, and didn't really enjoy it all that much. It felt slow and not as chaotic and fun as I thought it would be. After playing it at PAXEast a couple of years ago and talking with the guys who made it, I want to love it, but I just can't get into it.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ugh, my backlog and hard drive. If I win this wishlist contest (yeah, right), I think my computer just may kill itself.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

$3 for BOD7 and CSTW together, and you can't buy them separately.

Really looking forward to this release!

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I haven't tried the competitive multiplayer in MNC despite owning it for months, but I did enjoy the co-op Blitz mode. Admittedly I've only played a handful of rounds with my fiancee, but it basically felt like co-op tower defense which I'm into. On the other hand, it looks like there's only one Blitz map.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

I find the random randomness the frustrating part.

... to explain; it's already random what mercs I get for completing each zone. Making it then further random (without the mod) as to which ones I get to use is just kicking me while I'm down.

"Hooray, I finally got that bloody infantry unit I put to such good use!"

"... aaaand they're taken away from me again. And now I have to complete a level 4 with a helicopter, barricades and 3 mines. FUUUCK YOUUUUUUU!"

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Guys The Witcher 2 is so good. It's like... okay the first fights are annoying, but it is definitely the RPG that The Witcher 1 was trying to be, and better than every other RPG put out in the past 5 years.

Also, one of the few games to actually look noticeably better than I expect of this generation. I am happy to find my computer not having any trouble with all the shit turned to 11.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.