As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Just a theoretical question here.

If STEAM were to ever go off line permenantly, and I have STEAM backup hardcopies of my games, I could still play them off line right? The single player ones anyway like Mass Effect?

My understanding is Valves stance on this is that if for whatever reason they go under they will do what they can to make sure that everyone still has access to the games they bought. Much that will probably depend on the dev/publishers though, to "unlock" the games.

You can, however, just load up steam in offline mode and play everything that can be played offline.

Great, thanks!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    Broken Steel fixes the biggest problem of Fallout 3, the incredibly stupid ending.
    Point Lookout and The Pitt are both decent and more plot-driven.
    Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are not as good, and feature mostly boring combat.
    You honestly might as well pony up for the GOTY edition if you want to play FO3 at all at this point.

Y'know, I don't want to come across as an entitled Goose here or anything, as I appreciate a good sale as much as the next person, but I do find it a little off putting that it costs nearly as much for the GOTY Edition as it does just to get the DLC I don't have. If I were able to gift out a copy of the base game I'd be tempted to snag it for banking and gifting purposes, but as it stands I might just let this one slide.

That said, I've barely even scratched the surface on the base game. Completed the tutorial, wandered out into the wilderness and got eaten by a couple of dogs before I had to jet, and just never picked it up again.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Barf, I should have waited on new vegas. I could've gotten old world blues with it for the same price!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Has anyone else had problems changing their email address in steam? I jumped through their hoops, got the code and put it in. Then I got a confirmation at the new email. I'm still getting my steam emails to my previous address, or at least I was when I was gifted Lead and Gold a few days ago. In client it still lists the old email too.

I'm really confused by this.

• Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Okay thread, advise me which game to play next - Ass Creed 2, Borderlands, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Vampire the Masquerade.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else had problems changing their email address in steam? I jumped through their hoops, got the code and put it in. Then I got a confirmation at the new email. I'm still getting my steam emails to my previous address, or at least I was when I was gifted Lead and Gold a few days ago. In client it still lists the old email too.

I'm really confused by this.

I had this problem to. To rectify it, I had to email their customer support and very clearly explain what was wrong.

Which they essentially responded to with a form letter of keyword based possible solutions.

To which I politely replied that, in less coarse words, their response was balls and they needed to read my fucking email, before reiterating my problem again.

At which point said support personnel changed the email address associated with my account themselves and it finally made the jump.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    big l wrote:
    Okay thread, advise me which game to play next - Ass Creed 2, Borderlands, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Vampire the Masquerade.

That is.... a tough choice.

I'd personally vote for AC2, but they are all very good choices.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll say New Vegas

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    big l wrote:

Vampire, although there are a few close seconds there.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    And I'll say Borderlands if only to mix it up.

• Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    Seconding Borderlands. That game is just so much fun.

Having a surprising amount of fun playing Oblivion at the moment, given I already owned the game on dvd but had hardly touched it before buying the pack the other day. I fear all the nice additions to the interface are going to make it hard going back to Morrowind however.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A HorseA Horse Registered User regular
    Doom 2 is on sale for $7.49.

We do not inhabit a rational universe.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    big l wrote:

AC2

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    A Horse wrote:

I think I bought Doom 2 for $5 on CD something like 15 years ago. Probably still have it here somewhere...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    mts wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

Roshin or J-Bob or MTS or anybody else that has prepurchased Skyrim and/or RAGE, are you able to gift people the QuakeCon pack at your new reduced price point?

mine has it listed at 54.99 and yes i can give it as a gift

incidentally, if there's anyone else out there who's preordered Rage or Skyrim, I would be much obliged if you would gift me the quakecon pack in exchange for paypal monies.

I follow this line of thought and would adore anyone who could assist me in saving a few cash dollars by doing this for me as well.

I will third this notion of saving monies if any such persons are feeling notions of kindness. I can also shower gifts of similar value.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    big l wrote:

VTM, then AC2, then FO3, then FONV, then Borderlands.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    big l wrote:
    Fallout 3, because people have recommended every other game and because you'll want to space it out as far as possible from New Vegas, for maximum freshness.

• Options
    What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    I'm looking to pre-order Skyrim. I'd be willing to let someone else have the Bethesda Pack at the discount price. If you don't want the Quake gun in TF2 it'd be cool to get that, but whatever.

Add me on Steam.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/whatisschwa

• Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    I bought Fallout 3 and NV today.

Is the DLC worth purchasing for NV?

signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    don't forget the daily deal is Painkiller Black

hells of worth $5

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah

• Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    A Horse wrote:

Fuck it, it's a legend

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    big l wrote:

Vampire, AC2, and New Vegas in that order

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    I feel bad for HOARD. It seems like a great party game, but that doesn't help the PC version :(

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    A Horse wrote:

I know, I can't believe you can buy one of the greatest video games in history for less than $10 these days.
    Big Isy wrote:
    And I'll say Borderlands if only to mix it up.

I would suggest Borderlands as a good palate cleanser between the two Fallout games.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    I just finished Dead Money. I thought it was fucking excellent. Guess I'm in for a treat when I get around to playing Honest Hearts and OWB, since everyone seems to say Dead Money is the worst of the bunch. It also had my favorite companion in the whole goddamn game, but it didn't let me keep her after I beat the questline. Sad endings :(

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    grrr
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/61592/Its-Official-No-Battlefield-3-On-Steam-For-Now
    absolutely shocks me that Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 are still up on steam since you can only buy their DLC through EA directly which is part of what the problem is. maybe Valve just haven't realized this yet.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Big Isy wrote:
    mts wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

Roshin or J-Bob or MTS or anybody else that has prepurchased Skyrim and/or RAGE, are you able to gift people the QuakeCon pack at your new reduced price point?

incidentally, if there's anyone else out there who's preordered Rage or Skyrim, I would be much obliged if you would gift me the quakecon pack in exchange for paypal monies.
    I purchased Skyrim and was able to do the trade to Rakai. It looks like there is no limit, so I can do it for anyone who is interested.

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    big l wrote:

Vampire, AC2, and New Vegas in that order

Vampire first. Definitely.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    grrr
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/61592/Its-Official-No-Battlefield-3-On-Steam-For-Now
    absolutely shocks me that Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 are still up on steam since you can only buy their DLC through EA directly which is part of what the problem is. maybe Valve just haven't realized this yet.
    You missed the big kerfuffle about DA2 being removed from steam?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Isy wrote:
    mts wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

I purchased Skyrim and was able to do the trade to Rakai. It looks like there is no limit, so I can do it for anyone who is interested.

Wait, you can buy it more than once and still get the discount? that's pretty neat if true. I'm rotten on whether I want it though tbh. Especially with Deus Ex around there corner. Might just put the money towards a new gpu instead. Cheers for the offer though, appreciate it Buddy.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    grrr

They took Dragon Age 2 off straight after the new DLC came out actually.

Honestly, as much as I love Steam, I'm blaming Valve for this mess. EA deserves some blame for letting it get this far but really, seeing as each game has been taken off the store straight after DLC releases, I'm inclined to believe the theory that Valve have changed their TOS to try and force developers into releasing all their DLC on Steam. And if it ends with no Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or Kingdoms of Amalur on Steam, I will not be amused.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hardtarget wrote:
    grrr

Honestly, as much as I love Steam, I'm blaming Valve for this mess. EA deserves some blame for letting it get this far but really, seeing as each game has been taken off the store straight after DLC releases, I'm inclined to believe the theory that Valve have changed their TOS to try and force developers into releasing all their DLC on Steam. And if it ends with no Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or Kingdoms of Amalur on Steam, I will not be amused.

It really looks to me as if EA and Valve are furiously waving their dicks at each other. Both companies are coming out of this looking like fools. Really, the biggest difference is that EA are yelling at everyone to look at Valve's dick-waving, whereas Valve are just waving theirs with silence and a blank expression.

It's all about control, quite obviously; and as a microcosm of the world of digital distribution that we're charging headlong into for absolutely everything possible, it's quite telling as to where we'll end up.

Jazz on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    mts wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Steam thread

I demand knowledge

Many thanks for helping my backlog reach critical levels while keeping the wallet heavy. My free time weeps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Jazz wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    grrr

It really looks to me as if EA and Valve are furiously waving their dicks at each other. Both companies are coming out of this looking like fools.

It's all about control, quite obviously; and as a microcosm of the world of digital distribution that we're charging headlong into for absolutely everything possible, it's quite telling as to where we'll end up.
    It makes sense to me from Valve's perspective. Essentially EA is slipping a sub-store into Steam. It deliberately circumvents the Steam Store and feels kinda skeevy.

• Options
    Man, its so tempting to get that pack but I have nigh everything I could want from it save the Doom games. No interest in Brink whatsoever. Grrrrr tricky decision. I'm gonna try and stretch my indecisiveness out till the end if the deal, tomorrow. D:

• Options
    edited August 2011
    It makes sense to me from Valve's perspective. Essentially EA is slipping a sub-store into Steam. It deliberately circumvents the Steam Store and feels kinda skeevy.

Not going to deny that at all; however, EA kinda has a point when they say that no other digital distributor has terms like this in place.

Steam's the big boy in the DD room, Origin's the upstart with, let's face it, delusions of grandeur. Of course they want to poke Steam in the eye. Steam's shift in policy allowed them to do exactly that.

(This is not to defend EA's DLC practices at all; personally I'd much rather have got my ME2 DLC via Steam and not had to go through EA/Bioware's layers upon layers of goosery. And while I'd side with Steam if I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I just think that EA kind of has a point worth noting.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Well if EA is housing the dlc elsewhere then Steam shouldn't be entitled to the percentage they might be wanting. Its not like they're doing anything other than holding the base game.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    And? Valve does the exact same thing. I doubt retail stores are too fond of selling games that require Steam to run, should they just ban all Steamworks games?

Edit: Trimmed the quote tree.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    And? Valve does the exact same thing. I doubt retail stores are too fond of selling games that require Steam to run, should they just ban all Steamworks games?

Edit: Trimmed the quote tree.

Didn't some retailer try just that not so long ago?

Big Isy wrote:
    Well if EA is housing the dlc elsewhere then Steam shouldn't be entitled to the percentage they might be wanting. Its not like they're doing anything other than holding the base game.

Exactly, but Steam wants Steam versions of DLC for Steam versions of games that might otherwise have DLC available elsewhere, so they can get that cut and control the distribution and oh god I've gone cross-eyed.

Jazz on