As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [STEAM] Thread: Sale is over, now you have to wait another 15 years to buy Quake

• Options
    orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    EA/Valve War:

"You disapprove? Well, too bad! We're in this war for the money, boys and girls. It's simple numbers. They have more. And every day I have to make decisions that cause hundreds of people like you to post over dramatic raged filled rants on message boards."

Oh Starship Troopers, is there nothing your quotes can't be applied to?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    ARG's generally create bitter disappointment in the long run. I remember the same kind of bitterness from the I Love Bees ARG for Halo 2. There was a ton of people absolutely convinced that solving the ARG would unlock a demo for Halo 2, that you would be able to download and play on PC. It was a patently ridiculous expectation, but there was no stopping it. Same as the expectation that Steam/Valve would screw over a ton of retailers by releasing Portal 2 days ahead of schedule. To even think that Valve would put the release time outside of their control and into the hands of crowd sourcing obsessives is totally ridiculous.

They are big hype machines, the greater the hype the more bitter the disappointment for those who become over invested.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Dunno why, but SMB has been crashing on startup ever since the Portal II promotions.

Update your vid card drivers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Remember when EA stopped being dicks for a while? I heard their profits went down and thats why theyre dicks again. Is that true? I find it hard to believe since when they stopped being dicks they started actually making good games.

And those good games didn't sell very well.
    Yeah, when people talk about EA being a horrible company, they're ignoring the fact that the world is full of horrible people who are happy to buy horrible games from horrible companies, and when something truly beautiful (or even halfway beautiful) comes out, it's just as liable to die as it is to flourish. People want Gears of War 2, not Mirror's Edge 2.
    you seem to be under some sort of mistaken impression that Mirror's Edge was a good game.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge was an excellent game.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    if you like games that end up being shooters in disguise that have HORRIBLE shooting mechanics with occasional neat jumpy bits then ya it was an excellent game

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Alpha Protocol was Game of the Year 2010

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Mirror's Edge only has horrible shooting if you stop to shoot at people instead of effortlessly flowing past them at high speed, melting over obstacles like it ain't no thang. There's not very much shooting in ratio to running, and the shooting is all optional.

I mean, the first time I played Mirror's Edge, I was stymied on combat and handling and stuff like that, but when I picked it up the second time much later I not only figured out the combat much better than I had before, I understood how to ignore people with guns when the level design 'clicked.'

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    So, anybody take the plunge on Trauma yet?

I have to admit, it looks friggin' awesome.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge only has one section where shooting was the better choice for me. And that was only because of the god damn prevalence of check-point only save systems. And the shooting mechanics worked fine for that. But it's not a shooter unless you're Doing It Wrong.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Rock of Ages looks awesome. I have to get this. I will get this. Huzzah

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Dangerbird wrote:
    So, anybody take the plunge on Trauma yet?

I have to admit, it looks friggin' awesome.

I got an email about it from the creator, apparently I signed up for a newsletter for the game but I have no recollection of hearing about this game whatsoever.

Someone go buy it and let us know how it is!

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I honestly don't understand people that don't like Alpha Protocol.

I'm pretty sure they're all pod people.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    People actually used guns in Mirror's Edge? Does not compute.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Smashing things with rocks is fun times. I know this is true IRL.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Astale wrote:

The dialogue system was bugged in my game (apparently they're not all supposed to be plain grey buttons?), I wasn't impressed by the shooting in the tutorial and the hacking minigame and I didn't see eye to eye.

It wasn't so bad I wouldn't give it another shot sometime, but I just found it unfun enough to not bother continuing to struggle.

According to steam I put half an hour into it. It felt a lot longer, and not in the good way.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Astale wrote:

The dialogue system was bugged in my game (apparently they're not all supposed to be plain grey buttons?), I wasn't impressed by the shooting in the tutorial and the hacking minigame and I didn't see eye to eye.

It wasn't so bad I wouldn't give it another shot sometime, but I just found it unfun enough to not bother continuing to struggle.

According to steam I put half an hour into it. It felt a lot longer, and not in the good way.
    No, gray is definitely right. And Alpha Protocol isn't about the shooting or the hacking. Those are just distractions from the conversations.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    edit: nevermind, problem fixed.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The big problem with the Potato ARG was that the payoff was entirely worthless to most people, and it felt a lot like the thing was rigged to be completed no earlier than midnight (lest brick-and-mortar stores complain). Announcing a game might be released early on a Friday sounded pretty sweet to a lot of people. Hey, maybe we'll get Sat or Sun to play Portal 2! Instead, it launched at midnight on Tuesday, which for most people was no different than the original Tuesday at 10am.

It was great idea that spurred a lot of community involved, but I can see where complaints arose. The Summer Camp metagame was a similar deal, but learned lessons from the ARG.

Origin is not going to have awesome events like the ARG or Camp.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Hey, that game made by the Zeno Clash people is finally coming out. I had completely forgotten about it.
    Astale wrote:

I didn't find the story or majority of the characters worthy of comment and didn't like the level design or gameplay, so it's interesting as a question of design for its impressive branching, but I don't like it as a game.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Astale wrote:

No, gray is definitely right. And Alpha Protocol isn't about the shooting or the hacking. Those are just distractions from the conversations.
    The dialogue button thing is from forcing AA through the video card without using the proper compatibility mode

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Lest we forget, Portal 2 unlocked at midnight Pacific time...which means that everyone east of the Mississippi had to stay up until 2 or 3 am local time.

I figured they'd limit the early unlocks to the preorders. Oh well, live and learn. To be fair, Summer Camp was much much better.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say that I had fun with the Portal 2 ARG

And that is mostly unrelated to the fact that for my participation Valve decided to give me their entire catalogue, with giftable copies of anything I already had, including Portal 2

I mean, I hated every second of playing the Dejobaan games, but I found tricks and workarounds to make doing those a bit more bearable so it was alright

I just wish Tripwire had done more, especially if they had done some real life stuff because I live right down the road from their offices

• Options
    kaliakalia Registered User regular
    I thought the post-ARG interview with .... one of the involved devs? .... was right on. There was stuff they did right, and stuff they absolutely didn't do right. I was just playing along from home, so to speak -- but I never really thought P2 was gonna release on Friday or anything like that. I did go from "I am going to eventually want to get Portal 2 cause I really loved Portal when I finally played it" to "okay I have ordered a 2pack of Portal 2 to try to force my friend into playing co-op with me eventually" and playing the game pretty much straight through when it released. The Portal 2 -ish content in the Potato Pack games really got me excited to be back in that world.

But I didn't buy the Potato Pack *for* the ARG - I bought it for some great games I didn't have at a decent price. Then I suddenly had some extra content (some of it really really cool) and great extra portaly goodness! I was happy.

And then came some of the really crappy potato achievements, and the long weekend of just putting time into various games with barely any feedback. So in retrospect, I would choose not to push myself beyond 'fun' in any of the achievement-type things (I never did get the AaAaAaa summer ticket), and not to let a metagame burn me out on any game ... like, not playing a game for hours & hours just as part of a metagame & thus never wanting to touch it again, when otherwise I might've had fun with it.

Then again, I am not likely to ever find fault with something that gets me more GLaDOS. :P

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I just wish we could have KEPT more GLaDOS in most of them. I would have loved for the option to have GLaDOS stay as the trader in Killing floor.

I cant remember any of the others though...

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote:
    Jazz wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Remember when EA stopped being dicks for a while? I heard their profits went down and thats why theyre dicks again. Is that true? I find it hard to believe since when they stopped being dicks they started actually making good games.

Yeah, when people talk about EA being a horrible company, they're ignoring the fact that the world is full of horrible people who are happy to buy horrible games from horrible companies, and when something truly beautiful (or even halfway beautiful) comes out, it's just as liable to die as it is to flourish. People want Gears of War 2, not Mirror's Edge 2.

Exactly.

But at the same time Mass Effect and Dead Space were both pretty successful. Yes, some games did not do as well as expected, but others did well enough to create lasting franchises.

• Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    People actually used guns in Mirror's Edge?

They were called "blues," remember?

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Maybe that's why I didn't like Mirror's Edge so much. The gunplay was pretty awful.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel pretty comfortable saying that any time you pull a trigger in Mirror's Edge, you are absolutely playing the game wrong

• Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    The shooting wasn't terrible in mirrors edge. It was absolutely right for a skinny atheletic lady with no firearms training. It felt really tucking cool to occasionally take guys out with guns you stole from them or heir buddies. But if you played the whole game as an fps then yes, you were doingit wrong.

Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I definitely didn't play the whole thing as an fps. In fact, I tried to play with just my feet and fists. But some sections were just frustrating without a gun, and then it was just boring. I should have played on easy.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    I feel pretty comfortable saying that any time you pull a trigger in Mirror's Edge, you are absolutely playing the game wrong

I've actually never fired a gun in Mirror's Edge, and I've played through twice. Never felt a need. The running and melee was just so much fun and so well executed. It's absolutely one of my favorite games of the last few year. I'm still holding out hope for a sequel.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    emp123 wrote:
    Jazz wrote:
    Jazz wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Exactly.

But at the same time Mass Effect and Dead Space were both pretty successful. Yes, some games did not do as well as expected, but others did well enough to create lasting franchises.

EA intentionally advertised Brutal Legend as a Single Player hack n slash, instead of Tim Schafer's first multiplayer game. They changed the public game demo from the IvTC online battle Tim Schafer was using at conventions, to the first five minutes of the game, and left Tim Schafer to get the word out on the multiplayer alone, despite all the positive reception he got in the multiplayer previews from players.

When the game didn't sell, they cancelled the sequel, and wouldn't even let Double Fine release a second balance patch. I got to give Brad Muir suggestions on improving the multiplayer and a month later, the first balance patch worked wonders. But after that, I had to watch the online community slowly die over a year and a half due to cheaters. This pissed me off, because the game was the most worthy successor to Battlezone and Sacrifice I've ever seen. Monday Night Combat doesn't even come close. Maybe in another ten years...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    I just wish we could have KEPT more GLaDOS in most of them. I would have loved for the option to have GLaDOS stay as the trader in Killing floor.

I really wish this was available as a setting for the server. The english woman is fine, but having GLaDOS mocking us was pretty awesome.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote:

I cant remember any of the others though...

The 2 extra maps added to Defense Grid stayed in the game. The second one, with GLaDOS mocking you all the way through, is good times.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Loved Mirrors Edge to tiny little pieces. Did not use a gun, ever.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Man, I loved the platforming in Mirror's Edge, but I used guns all the time once they gave me access to heavy machineguns, because in that game guns are stupefyingly lethal.

Like you could easily kill 10-15 enemies in 6 seconds with that thing.

In the lobby where you call down an elevator and then get rushed by a bunch of people, can you not fight there? I seem to remember having to at least knock everybody out, which took a lot of tries (but was fun as hell).

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Monday Night Combat isn't really even the same genre as Legend.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I gunned down everyone asap in Mirror's Edge, because the platforming is way more fun when you aren't having the animations interrupted by being shot or being knocked off ledges or whatever. Just shoot everyone then parkour your heart out unfettered by annoying enemies.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The trouble with Mirror's Edge is they make you go through a 6 hour long tutorial before putting you in the actual game... the time trials.

Also, the parking garage part is awful.

But really, the time trials are amazing and fun and really if they got to make Mirror's Edge 2 I kinda wouldn't mind if there were no story at all... just environments that you need to get through as quickly as possible.