As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking Christ.

• Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I know that our prison system is a nationwide problem, but Jesus Christ our state:

http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/autopsy-shows-inmate-died-from-dehydration

There literally isn't enough CO's in the state because there aren't enough applicants. I would say qualified, but the qualification is basically "Can legally own and/or possess a handgun", not that all of our COs are armed all the time but if you meet that qualification you can become a Correctional Officer. They refuse to raise the pay while the policy is mandatory overtime making a 60 hour work week the norm and they still don't have enough COs on duty at any one time at any prison in the state.

It's all working according to the state republicans' plan. Make it so terrible that private prisons look good in comparison, or even worse, shipping the prisoners out of state and away from their families, making it more likely they will screw up and extend their sentence and/or get too caught up in prison life and be unable to not rescind and end up back in prison again.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It used to be that the idea was to make sure people didn't end up in prison again.

With for-profit prisons, it's flipped on its head. Keep them there for as long as possible.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It used to be that the idea was to make sure people didn't end up in prison again.

With for-profit prisons, it's flipped on its head. Keep them there for as long as possible.

Not really, most of the for profit prison companies have diversified, due to all the bad press, into stuff like probation supervision.

So, they make money when the fuck ever.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

Not really, most of the for profit prison companies have diversified, due to all the bad press, into stuff like probation supervision.

So, they make money when the fuck ever.

Let's just call it the for-profit justice system, and point out that everybody's profiting from it at all points of access.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    for-profit probation supervision has to be worse, though, because that gives them the power to send folks back to the jails that they own and make a profit off of running by setting arcane rules for them to follow.

• Options
    The judicial system already runs on a for-profit basis in many areas, where levying bullshit fines on top of bullshit fines is literally baked into how they figure out their quarterly budget.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The judicial system already runs on a for-profit basis in many areas, where levying bullshit fines on top of bullshit fines is literally baked into how they figure out their quarterly budget.

If I were god-emperor, all fines collected by local municipalities would taxed at a rate of 100% by the Federal Government, to discourage this sort of behavior. Levy fines to discourage citizens from engaging in certain behavior; don't create systems of law where it's impossible to not be breaking some kind of law, and always be liable for fines.

• Options

If I were god-emperor, all fines collected by local municipalities would taxed at a rate of 100% by the Federal Government, to discourage this sort of behavior. Levy fines to discourage citizens from engaging in certain behavior; don't create systems of law where it's impossible to not be breaking some kind of law, and always be liable for fines.

Throw all fines into a pool that gets evenly distributed across the US.

Would Ferguson have tried so hard to tax the poor through fines if they only kept ~.00005% of what they collected?

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Part of the problem being addressed in these fines is the fact that the various levels of government haven't been keeping up with generating the money necessary to function through taxation. See? About the time the conservatives decided to crow about lowering taxes was just about at the same time we started needing those taxes to pay for the expansion of law enforcement and prisons. I don't think it was planned, at least not at first, but opportunities were seized once realized and then planned around. This is how and why you see mandatory minimums being lobbied for at the federal and state levels. This is how and why you see decriminalization of pot being opposed by the LEO unions and their lobbying arms. Because it all plays into this pool of fine money that is getting generated because we the public can't and won't stomach another 1% increase in taxes to pay for it.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    All of that is perfectly fine because the fines are usually not the problem.

It's the fees.

Like the court fee of $175 to appeal the seizure of the $175 on you had on you when you were arrested with drugs.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    All of that is perfectly fine because the fines are usually not the problem.

It's the fees.

Like the court fee of $175 to appeal the seizure of the $175 on you had on you when you were arrested with drugs.

Also it was in your car so civil forfeiture, the car is yours now

sorry your kid was in the car

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

And just when you think Walker couldn't be more thuggish, he literally plays a protection racket.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    why doesn't the department of justice do anything about walker

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

He is only a puppet of the Koch brothers, who have deep pockets and legions of lawyers. Do you want the DoJ to focus on achievable goals, or waste time and resources on a huge mess that has no guaranteed results? I'm hoping that the John Doe investigation comes up with something DoJ can actually use, but until then, we may have to grin and bear it.

• Options
    edited September 2016

You mean the DoJ headed by Attorney General Brad Schimel (R)?

No idea

Veevee on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Because absent clear evidence of wrongdoing there isn't much they can do. Investigating would be almost assuredly political.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Because absent clear evidence of wrongdoing there isn't much they can do. Investigating would be almost assuredly political.

Well, I mean... shutting down an investigation into you stinks pretty bad. Like, everything that's happened to that investigation has smacked of corruption.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Last I heard, DMV policy, as directed by Scott Walker, is to not mention the free voter IDs unless prompted and instead plod along and get the customer the $20 paid ID. I could easily see a policy about not informing their workers of certain things as well. Or a lazy worker who didn't read an email/memo, and of course no one thinks to make sure people actually read that shit (they don't).

Veevee on
  • Options
  • Options

His campaign manager also ran his superpac and said that he wasn't coordinating with himself

• Options
    I can't see any way to save local reporting without straight up subsidizing it, which is never going to happen

• Options
    I can't see any way to save local reporting without straight up subsidizing it, which is never going to happen

Well, you can donate to public radio in your state.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    SCOTUS denied the John Doe appeal.

That is extremely unfortunate, to say the least.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    SCOTUS denied the John Doe appeal.

That is extremely unfortunate, to say the least.

Not sure about that last bit. If it went to the current court it would likely be a 4-4 partisan tie at best which means the previous ruling stands.

I think it's possible they could reconsider taking the case later on after a new Justice is confirmed with the current situation.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    For anyone else in the Milwaukee Area, Russ Fiengold and Elizabeth Warren are holding some sort of get out the early vote rally in Milwaukee on Friday. Except as of this moment the only details are Friday, and the zip code 53202, which is the 3rd ward and the entire lower east side...so stay tuned I guess.

e: Apparently details finally just got announced

1:30-3:30
    Wilson Theatre at Vogel Hall
    929 N Water St Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    "And lets continue that race to the bottom by removing license requirements for many jobs," says the state GOP
    Assembly Republicans named occupational licensing reform as one of their legislative priorities for the next two years, previewing plans to assess whether Wisconsin's licensing requirements exceed the national average and whether any licenses that don't offer "legitimate public safety benefits" can be eliminated.

With a 64-35 majority, Assembly Republicans have a smooth path to pass most items on their policy wish list. Gov. Scott Walker has also signaled an interest in pursuing some of these changes.

A conservative law firm, the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty, released a report this week that it hopes will guide lawmakers as they pursue changes to the regulations that apply to professions ranging from bartenders to private security guards.

The WILL report argues the problem is twofold: too many professions require licenses, and the licensing requirements for some professions are excessive. Those regulations, the group argues, place unnecessary burdens on people trying to enter a profession and lead to higher costs for consumers.

The report they're probably going to base this on: http://www.will-law.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Licensure-FINAL.pdf

Basically: There are more licenses than there used to be. Some requirements look ridiculous, especially when people that have no idea why nor care to find out the reasons for the requirements compare them arbitrarily to other jobs or other state's requirements. Other states are doing it, too!

Oh, and it includes this lovely graph

ays94rfb0bmq.png

See, it got bigger!

Edit: There is a need to review licenses required for certain jobs, I get that. They seem to have ridiculous requirements sometimes, and if there truly is no reason for the requirements to be as stringent or even be non-existent then be my guest and adjust them. But come on, have actual real reasons for doing so.

Veevee on
  • Options
    So, uh....

Who needs a licensed electrician?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    The licenses that the "study" claims need to be eliminated are Auctioneer, Bartender, Deitician, Landscape Architect, Private Detective, Private Security Person, Sign Language Interpreter, Wisconsin Registered Interior Designer.

The only one I can agree with is the last one, and mainly because I find the reasoning to be hilarious
    When approved in 1995, the Department of Regulation and Licensing said there was no state interest in regulating interior designers. This remains true today

and just another example of Wisconsin Republican, and especially Tommy Thompson's, stupidity
    In the spring of 1996, Republican Governor Tommy Thompson signed AB 419, a bill to create a state registration for interior designers. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, it was the 93rd profession
    credentialed in the state of Wisconsin, and Gov. Thompson hoped it was the last. “I’m telling you right now. Send me any more of these fenceme-in laws, and they’re dead,” said Thompson following the bill signing.“We’ve got enough fence-me-in legislation to last a lifetime.”

Veevee on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'd throw out the bartender license as well assuming it's required

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Well, I mean... shutting down an investigation into you stinks pretty bad. Like, everything that's happened to that investigation has smacked of corruption.

Funny how this doesn't effect Republicans then they are on the other side.

Get on the ball, Democrats. You have one job.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'd throw out the bartender license as well assuming it's required

As I recall, bartending licenses are important for folks under 21 who want a job serving drinks. Hard to come to work if you're not old enough to get into the bar.

Plus, you know, Wisconsin has a lot of drunks. Maybe not a bad idea to have some training as to know when to cut someone off. It IS poison, after all.
    Below are the tasks you will learn:

How to protect yourself and your establishment from liability
    How alcohol affects your customers
    How to recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers
    How to prevent customers from becoming intoxicated
    How to intervene when you need to refuse a sale to someone
    How to prevent and deal with disturbances
    How to accurately check IDs and recognize minors
    How to prevent second-party sales
    How to refuse a sale
    How to react to authorities when a problem arises.

https://servingalcohol.com/wisconsin-bartending-license/?gclid=COmmuN-istACFQGoaQod1KEBuA

Seems pretty goosing reasonable to me.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Bartending licenses are also a stick for the state to enforce do no serve laws. Regardless of if your boss thinks the state can always come in and "fire" you for serving obviously intoxicated folks.
    So, uh....

Who needs a licensed electrician?

It stated non-trades. Because I assume if they included trades the increase would not look anywhere near as impressive.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    A Federal court has found Wisconsin's legislative redistricting map to be 'an unconstitutional gerrymander.'

That's nice, but I have to imagine this will get appealed to SCOTUS with predictable results.

• Options
    A Federal court has found Wisconsin's legislative redistricting map to be 'an unconstitutional gerrymander.'

That's nice, but I have to imagine this will get appealed to SCOTUS with predictable results.

Current SCOTUS is the one that struck down NC maps. Some hope there.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Current SCOTUS is the one that struck down NC maps. Some hope there.

Not if the new 5-4 court sees it.

• Options
    <20% of Provisional ballots cast were counted
    Fewer than 20 percent of the provisional ballots cast in the election two weeks ago by voters who didn't have the required photo ID were counted.

The preliminary tally comes Tuesday from the Wisconsin Elections Commission.

There were at least 750 provisional ballots cast in the Nov. 8 election, and of those, 618 were issued because the voter didn't have an acceptable photo ID, according to the commission.

Only 116 out of the 618 provisional ballots were counted. Most of them, 399, were marked as "deadline expired," which indicates they weren't counted. Another 278 were outright rejected and 224 had no information reported on their status.

This was the first presidential election where voters were required to show a photo ID. Opponents of the law have said it repressed Democratic voter turnout, particularly in Milwaukee.

:sad:

Regarding the bold, so do the the proponents of the law

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Only 750 provisional ballots? That has to be one county right?

wbBv3fj.png