As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    52 % want him recalled. In a Rasmussen poll.

You WILL crush this man. If not for me, if not for yourselves, just do it for Roosevelt.

Of course that's not the question. The question is if any of the Democrats can beat him. And those polls are all super close. I've seen one with Barrett up one and Faulk down one, but otherwise Walker has a slim lead.

Wisconsin doesn't have anyone capable of beating the most unpopular man in politics? He had a 'million' (fox news estimating republicans at a rally million) strong angry mob camped outside his office for weeks! Couldn't you just run a 'None of these losers, just throw Walker out and get a rubber stamp to sign the bills' candidate for the next few years.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    52 % want him recalled. In a Rasmussen poll.

You WILL crush this man. If not for me, if not for yourselves, just do it for Roosevelt.

Of course that's not the question. The question is if any of the Democrats can beat him. And those polls are all super close. I've seen one with Barrett up one and Faulk down one, but otherwise Walker has a slim lead.

Wisconsin doesn't have anyone capable of beating the most unpopular man in politics? He had a 'million' (fox news estimating republicans at a rally million) strong angry mob camped outside his office for weeks! Couldn't you just run a 'None of these losers, just throw Walker out and get a rubber stamp to sign the bills' candidate for the next few years.

I think most of us are just baffled that Russ Feingold has no interest in a free governorship.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    He was given a clear message that Wisconsin politics is no longer a place for people of principle. Ron Johnson didn't even have a platform, just a wad of cash and status as a "Washington outsider".

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    He was given a clear message that Wisconsin politics is no longer a place for people of principle. Ron Johnson didn't even have a platform, just a wad of cash and status as a "Washington outsider".

...a message that was promptly turned on its head when the state turned around and said, "no, wait, that's bullshit" after Walker started implementing his agenda.

2010 was a clusterfuck for everybody, not just him. Russ should help us take a mulligan.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Feingold is the sort of person that was dismissively ranted about in The Rock.

Me, well...I want to fuck the prom queen.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

...a message that was promptly turned on its head when the state turned around and said, "no, wait, that's bullshit" after Walker started implementing his agenda.

2010 was a clusterfuck for everybody, not just him. Russ should help us take a mulligan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AAP7zORyWA

It's times like this I wish Fox was less aggressive when it came to keeping Simpsons clips off the internet.

Feingold has no reason to come back to Wisconsin. They basically stood up and told him they would rather go with the guy who tells them what they want to hear than the guy that will govern them with respect, civility, and success. Now they want him to come in and fix it when in all likelihood they'll just vote him back out again next time. No, if I were Russ I'd feel the same way. Recall Walker if you can, but I'm not coming back just because you say you're sorry.

Taramoor on
    edited April 2012

I'm just saying, after something like 20 years of principled public service he gets shown the door by a guy who likely only beat him due to the SCOTUS ruling on his signature campaign finance reform legislation. After something like that, I'd be wondering why I pissed countless hours of those 20 years away when they could've been better spent with my family.

Sir Landshark on

I'm just saying, after something like 20 years of principled public service he gets shown the door by a guy who likely only beat him due to the SCOTUS ruling on his signature, campaign finance reform legislation. After something like that, I'd be wondering why I pissed countless hours of those 20 years away when they could've been better spent with my family.

Except he's smarter than that and knows that fighting the good fight doesn't mean winning and then everything is happiness and green magic cupcakes. Citizens United was bullshit. Everyone knows it is bullshit. The Supreme Court will fix it as soon as its majority is no longer bought & paid for.
    Sadly this means that someone will have to shank Clarence Thomas.

I'm just saying that, yes, he has a right to be pissed. But also he has a unique opportunity to step up to the plate and do the right thing for the Republic, Cincinnatus-style. Seems dumb and uncharacteristic to just pass it by out of spite.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    How would you be able to tell if someone had?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I'm sure they have Scalia water him once a week or something

I'm just saying, after something like 20 years of principled public service he gets shown the door by a guy who likely only beat him due to the SCOTUS ruling on his signature, campaign finance reform legislation. After something like that, I'd be wondering why I pissed countless hours of those 20 years away when they could've been better spent with my family.

Except he's smarter than that and knows that fighting the good fight doesn't mean winning and then everything is happiness and green magic cupcakes. Citizens United was bullshit. Everyone knows it is bullshit. The Supreme Court will fix it as soon as its majority is no longer bought & paid for.

I'm just saying that, yes, he has a right to be pissed. But also he has a unique opportunity to step up to the plate and do the right thing for the Republic, Cincinnatus-style. Seems dumb and uncharacteristic to just pass it by out of spite.

I don't think it's a spite thing, but why expend all the effort and time and deal with all the stress when even if you win (which is by no means a sure thing, given recent voting trends in the state) the exact same people who were clamoring for your return will turn on you the second after you're sworn in because everything isn't fixed yet? Not to mention that he'll be facing down a legislature and judiciary that will do everything in their power to completely undermine him.

Someone without Feingold's past would have a much better shot at rebuilding some of what Walker destroyed. Russ wouldn't make it into the building before the legal challenges started.

• Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I don't think it's a spite thing, but why expend all the effort and time and deal with all the stress when even if you win (which is by no means a sure thing, given recent voting trends in the state) the exact same people who were clamoring for your return will turn on you the second after you're sworn in because everything isn't fixed yet? Not to mention that he'll be facing down a legislature and judiciary that will do everything in their power to completely undermine him.

Someone without Feingold's past would have a much better shot at rebuilding some of what Walker destroyed. Russ wouldn't make it into the building before the legal challenges started.

Considering the fake democrats, twice, using attorney-client privilege to hide a partisan and possibly illegal redistricting map, Prosser's choke-hold incident and tantrum regarding people going after him for it, violations of open meetings law, the lies about having not enough money while handing tax breaks to big business...I...What does it matter to the Wisconsin GOP who's running? They seem more than willing to do literally everything, including illegal things, to stop the Democrats from accomplishing anything. I would contend that it would not matter if the Democrats decided to run a Ham Sandwich, the GOP would file legal challenges.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.

Considering the fake democrats, twice, using attorney-client privilege to hide a partisan and possibly illegal redistricting map, Prosser's choke-hold incident and tantrum regarding people going after him for it, violations of open meetings law, the lies about having not enough money while handing tax breaks to big business...I...What does it matter to the Wisconsin GOP who's running? They seem more than willing to do literally everything, including illegal things, to stop the Democrats from accomplishing anything. I would contend that it would not matter if the Democrats decided to run a Ham Sandwich, the GOP would file legal challenges.

They would assert the candidate was not Kosher.

Sadly, that is said only half in jest.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    This isn't a hard campaign to run, you just need a single candidate.

You point at Walker and explain how he nearly ruined the state.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576

That's what the Dems thought about the Kerry campaign.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    No one recalled Bush.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

Also, surely in the entire state of Wisconsin there is someone SLIGHTLY more appealing and less smarmy than Kerry?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    No one recalled Bush.

Well, the GOP certainly doesn't recall him now.

The entire country seems to have forgotten about all the shit he did as POTUS.

No one recalled Bush.

Well, the GOP certainly doesn't recall him now.

The entire country seems to have forgotten about all the shit he did as POTUS.

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing Bush & Co. hang for their crimes, I really can't blame the country at large for wanting to forget. Those were eight fucking dark years.

Also, surely in the entire state of Wisconsin there is someone SLIGHTLY more appealing and less smarmy than Kerry?

All I'm saying is it wouldn't behoove the Dems to sit back and assume victory:

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/poll-walker-narrowly-ahead-of-dems-in-recall.php

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/poll-walker-narrowly-ahead-of-dems-in-recall.php

That's not even taking into account the expected voter turnout in Waukesha.

If their candidates are really so weak and unknown I'd be tempted to tell the democrats to stay out of the race and endorse whatever moderate republican candidate they can find to run against him instead. If such a thing even exists!

• Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular

Actually I've read a little bit about the psychology behind some political philosophies/ethics and it seems what motivates the right vs left is drastically different. Republicans by and large seem to be creatures of habit and group identity while the Democrats have much more of a loose coalition that often demands results and will quickly lose enthusiasm and even develop a sense of contempt in their absence. Wisconsin may not necessarily need Feingold but he sure would help the odds. Republicans may be motivated by "Not Obama" but Dems arent's sufficiently motivated as far as I can see by "Not Bush/Walker/whoever" because they're looking for entirely different things to determine if and for whom they vote.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/waukesha-county-clerk-nickolaus-steps-aside-for-the-recall-elections.php?ref=fpa
    Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus has announced that she is stepping aside from her office’s main duty of election administration, in the wake of continued problems with vote counts that have become a center of controversy in this stronghold for Wisconsin Republicans.

This past Tuesday, Waukesha’s full vote count was delayed into Wednesday — actually boosting Mitt Romney’s final lead from five points up to seven points, when all was completed — after the county’s computer system didn’t work. Instead of an orderly online posting of results, employees had to have the paper slips from voting machines hand-delivered from throughout the county, and then post them all over the walls of a county meeting room.

As a result, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, County Executive Dan Vrakas demanded that Nickolaus either resign her office, or hand off election duties to staff for the upcoming recall election against Gov. Scott Walker — in which the result is expected to be close, with no allowable room for error by local officials.

Nickolaus is thus handing off the election duties to her deputy, Kelly Yaeger, and will instead handle other areas of her office, such as issuing marriage licenses.

She would be the one who discovered 7000 votes for conservative Justice David Prosser, which just barely gave him a victory.

"I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/waukesha-county-clerk-nickolaus-steps-aside-for-the-recall-elections.php?ref=fpa
    Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus has announced that she is stepping aside from her office’s main duty of election administration, in the wake of continued problems with vote counts that have become a center of controversy in this stronghold for Wisconsin Republicans.

This past Tuesday, Waukesha’s full vote count was delayed into Wednesday — actually boosting Mitt Romney’s final lead from five points up to seven points, when all was completed — after the county’s computer system didn’t work. Instead of an orderly online posting of results, employees had to have the paper slips from voting machines hand-delivered from throughout the county, and then post them all over the walls of a county meeting room.

As a result, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, County Executive Dan Vrakas demanded that Nickolaus either resign her office, or hand off election duties to staff for the upcoming recall election against Gov. Scott Walker — in which the result is expected to be close, with no allowable room for error by local officials.

Nickolaus is thus handing off the election duties to her deputy, Kelly Yaeger, and will instead handle other areas of her office, such as issuing marriage licenses.

She would be the one who discovered 7000 votes for conservative Justice David Prosser, which just barely gave him a victory.

Of course, this is complete non-news, because her staff is likely to be just as corrupt and incompetant as she is.

And down goes The Equal Pay Law
    WASHINGTON -- A Wisconsin law that made it easier for victims of wage discrimination to have their day in court was repealed on Thursday, after Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) quietly signed the bill.

The 2009 Equal Pay Enforcement Act was meant to deter employers from discriminating against certain groups by giving workers more avenues via which to press charges. Among other provisions, it allows individuals to plead their cases in the less costly, more accessible state circuit court system, rather than just in federal court.

Thank you for coming to Wisconsin, here's your required copy of The Handmaid's Tale. Memorization is expected, the test will administered rectally.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Walker killed the bill by quietly signing it?

I'm confused.

edited April 2012
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Walker killed the bill by quietly signing it?

I'm confused.

The legislature (in votes Yea'd by every Republican and Nay'd by every Democrat, oddly enough) voted to repeal the Equal Pay act.

Walker signed the repeal.

It's more about Wisconsin in general, and their now inevitable future as the failed dystopian society of New Kochton.

But hey, Serfdom probably isn't so bad once you get used to it.

Taramoor on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Checks don't cash themselves.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    He quietly signed more than just the repeal of the Equal Pay Enforcement Act Thursday.

Jezebel wrote:
    Determined to turn Wisconsin into a colder, milk-producing Arizona, Tea Party puppet Walker signed four new bills into law on Thursday, but didn't announce that they'd been signed until today as we're headed into a nice mind-erasing weekend. Senate Bill 202 repeals Wisconsin's equal pay law, effectively making it more difficult and expensive to women who are being discriminated against by their employers to file suit against them. Senate Bill 237 repeals the state's comprehensive sex education law, replacing it with a curriculum that stresses abstinence over medically accurate information about, uh, sex. Senate Bill 306 further restricts abortion and adds criminal penalties to doctors in the state. And Senate Bill 92 bans private insurance coverage of abortion (government interference in private business? So much for that whole "let businesses be free to do whatever they want so help me God bless America capitalism Adam Smith no regulations" mantra of the Tea Party.)

To add insult to injury, Walker didn't even have the balls to back up the move with a public appearance, or even a public statement on the matter. In fact, no one from his office has commented.

And now he's gunning for Vice President? Ugh.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How much does it cost to run a fake Republican?

Also, do any of you Wisconsinites know actors or theater majors willing to dress up and play the part of a woman-hating business-fellating sociopath?

I'm thinking we could hold a fundraiser, (I seem to recall ballot access requires bribery) and try to run a spoiler or two on Walker's side.

Edit: override367, do you know any Poli-sci majors? See if you can grab a few and get them to run a fake republican as a class project. I know it isn't exactly comforting to use enemy tactics but you literally have a criminal in the governor's mansion and he needs to go. Additionally, "Intern to a failed political campaign," looks surprisingly good on a resume.

Boring7 on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »

It can't be too expensive. The WI Republicans are running six fake Democrats in the upcoming recall election!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dashui wrote: »
    Boring7 wrote: »

It can't be too expensive. The WI Republicans are running six fake Democrats in the upcoming recall election!

Hmmm...

In 2008 when Colbert ran for president in South Carolina (and ONLY South Carolina) as both a democrat and a republican he was told he had to pony up $2.5k and $10k respectively or get a free ride from being a "chosen one" by the party leadership. These rules were also broken by both parties (at least temporarily) because they like to pretend they're better than a comedian.

But if I'm reading this stuff right (probably not) you can run for Wisconsin Governor as a Republican for free.

Further reading suggests that there is no more public financing thanks to you-know-who, but emails and beg-a-thons are cheap and the right lying talent might be able to siphon some cash off of the Big business pimp-roll.

Edit: Beg-a-thon targets for a fake Republican:

Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce, or "The union of Scott Walker's welfare queens."
    http://scottwalkerwatch.com/boycott-center/, lists all the people giving Walker kick-backs.

Boring7 on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was surprised there wasn't already a protest in Madison today, I stopped off visiting family to get some wensleydale cheese (with cranberries) and didn't see any protests

I did, however, see a recall walker bumper sticker on virtually every car in the city, which is encouraging. Now if only all those kids vote.

override367 on
    edited April 2012
    AngelHedgie on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm on the fence with that, it doesn't really matter either way if all they're doing is linking it to previous DNA criminal evidence.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    There's some problematic stuff about it, like if you get arrested for a crime that you are eventually exonerated of, they've got your DNA on file forever.

There's always the old chestnut of "if you're innocent, you've got nothing to fear," but then we start getting into slippery slope arguments.

I am just annoyed that they're flipping on it just because Walker needs a victory of some sort going into the recall election.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There's some problematic stuff about it, like if you get arrested for a crime that you are eventually exonerated of, they've got your DNA on file forever.

There's always the old chestnut of "if you're innocent, you've got nothing to fear," but then we start getting into slippery slope arguments.

I am just annoyed that they're flipping on it just because Walker needs a victory of some sort going into the recall election.

There's always the old "who cares if they have your DNA, wtf are they gonna do with it?"

I was surprised there wasn't already a protest in Madison today, I stopped off visiting family to get some wensleydale cheese (with cranberries) and didn't see any protests

I did, however, see a recall walker bumper sticker on virtually every car in the city, which is encouraging. Now if only all those kids vote.

I imagine that protesting the glorous messages of Supreme Cleric Walker has been banned

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

There's always the old "who cares if they have your DNA, wtf are they gonna do with it?"

Pretty much that's my whole whodunit. They can just take the DNA from a soda can you tossed on the ground if they absolutely needed to get it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me