As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Lots of (seemingly white) men these days hate and deride the fact that women don't like rape and generally want solutions that don't involve getting a boyfriend with a gun and holding on to him or just not going outside.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Isn't something like this just going to get the state sued by the Justice Department? If Title IX says 'do X' and they're flat out saying 'don't do X', then all this is going to do is cost the state money. That and get their base all chuffed I guess.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I figured it was just something about how if they aren't reported then the numbers look better. Can't point to studies that say "record number of date rapes of UofW" if those incidents aren't reported.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Lots of (seemingly white) men these days hate and deride the fact that women don't like rape and generally want solutions that don't involve getting a boyfriend with a gun and holding on to him or just not going outside.

No, they hate and deride the idea that women have bodily autonomy, and aren't just sex dispensers. It amazes me the sort of people who cannot grasp the idea that women should be able to feel safe while they get an education.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I figured it was just something about how if they aren't reported then the numbers look better. Can't point to studies that say "record number of date rapes of UofW" if those incidents aren't reported.

I would never underestimate how much this is just a straight up dislike of the whole "How about we not rape people and treat victims with compassion" leftwing 'overly-PC' feminist thing.

The whole idea of dealing with rape is a basketfull of buzzwords they hate.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also keep in mind a large amount of the blame for the sexual assaults falls on the greek system, which the upper crust has been using for their social, political, and employment connections.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Oh hey, he also removed the vaccination requirements for college students.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

...excuse me. I need to find a concrete wall to slam my head into to get the stupid out.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

...excuse me. I need to find a concrete wall to slam my head into to get the stupid out.

He's just catering to his most vocal constituents. It's not like anybody will care about a meningitis outbreak.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

He's just catering to his most vocal constituents. It's not like anybody will care about a meningitis outbreak.

Don't worry he also changed the language for reporting about an outbreak, so no one will literally know there is one.

See I love this small government conservative shit. Gutting reporting requirements, removing vaccination requirements, these are all things small government conservatives have asked for for years and thank god they are finally getting them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

It's not like the last death we had from that on UW-Madison campus wasn't in 2013 or anything. No siree

• Options
    I do have to thank Walker for doing something dumb with vaccines so that we can have that as a potential plank in 2016. Thanks dumb shit you sided with a minority of a minority for something the majority of thinking people think is a god damn given.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    As Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker signed the so-called “right to work” bill on March 9, making Wisconsin the twenty-fifth right-to-work state in the country, labor advocates braced themselves for the stream of anti-worker bills that were almost certain to follow. Many assumed the first target would be Wisconsin’s 1930s prevailing wage laws, which require that workers on public works projects be paid the established going rate for their labor, rather than allowing contractors to try to outbid each other by lowering workers’ wages. Few, however, expected the legislative cluster bomb that is currently being referred to committee by a pair of Republicans: a bill to repeal the weekend.

Though labor often boasts that it helped codify the two-day work break—witness the popular pro-labor bumper sticker, “Unions: the folks that brought you the weekend”—a day of rest is protected by law in only a fraction of the states. According to the Society for Human Resource Management, thirteen states have laws mandating a day of rest for some or all workers. In states that mandate a day of rest only for certain categories of workers, those workers are often in jobs where fatigue could lead to increased accidents or deaths.

Now that might be about to come to an end in Wisconsin.

Currently, the law in Wisconsin requires that workers employed in a “factory or mercantile establishment” must receive “at least 24 consecutive hours of rest in every 7 consecutive days.” If an employer would like a worker to work seven days in a row for a limited period of time, then the two can jointly petition the Department of Workforce Development for a waiver. According to the office of Republican Representative Mark Born, who is introducing this bill in the State Assembly, there were 169 waivers requested in 2013 and 232 in 2014, and all of them were granted. Under the current system, the waiver requests must state the necessity for the waiver, and they are granted only for a limited period of time.

The new bill, which is being sponsored by Republican Van Wanggaard in the State Senate alongside Born in the Assembly, would add a provision to the “day of rest” law that could effectively nullify it. The bill would create an exemption that would allow employees to “voluntarily choose” to slave away for seven days in a row without at least twenty-four hours of rest.

http://www.thenation.com/article/201817/these-republicans-want-take-away-your-weekend

• Options
    And that's the line between everyday villainy and cartoonish super-villainy.

• Options
    I'm sure they'll find a way to blame this on democrats in state and have their potato's cheer them on for sticking it to the libs.

Wisconsin you own this shitberg please confine him to your new hellish koch quarantine zone.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    You may "voluntarily choose" to be fired.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh sure "voluntarily choose" in a right-to-work environment.

No coercion at all!

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular

No, they hate and deride the idea that women have bodily autonomy, and aren't just sex dispensers. It amazes me the sort of people who cannot grasp the idea that women should be able to feel safe while they get an education.

That's ridiculous hyperbole. He does this dumb shit because he only cares about what his team is supposed to support and opposes anything that the other team might support. I guarantee he knows almost nothing about the actual topic.

• Options

That's ridiculous hyperbole. He does this dumb shit because he only cares about what his team is supposed to support and opposes anything that the other team might support. I guarantee he knows almost nothing about the actual topic.

Yeah thats so much better "I do these horrible things because people tell me the other side doesn't like it." That's fucking worse at least a true believer has the belief of whatever, someone blindly doing something because they are told to is nazi shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    It is sad that I dread getting the update notices for this thread. It is sad that news from my home state never fills me with happiness.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    This just in!!

Dracomicron is pretty cool.

This may not qualify as Wisconsin news, but I felt bad.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    This just in!!

Dracomicron is pretty cool.

This may not qualify as Wisconsin news, but I felt bad.

:bro: Don't worry about me. I'm tinkering with this orbital laser that will make Walker :hydra: on camera.

In retrospect, I don't think that's enough to get him impeached.

• Options
    Rhinelander school district funding

aflcyakjs8if.jpg

Oh, and say hello to voter ID as the US supreme court refused to hear the case.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-ag-says-voter-id-law-won-t-be-in/article_9e21dfa6-42c3-567d-8fd5-11da916a2286.html

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-photo-charlie-114429739886.html

Why the outrage? Seems like business as usual in every state and the Capitol.

Rhah on
  • Options
    Rhah wrote: »
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/wisconsin-gov-scott-walker-photo-charlie-114429739886.html

Why the outrage? Seems like business as usual in every state and the Capitol.

Walker can just say that he "saved big money at Menard's" to account for the sum.

Anyway, Scott Walker told the Good People of New Hampshire that he's worried about America the same way he was worried about Wisconsin "years ago." You know, before he fixed it.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Welp, there are people in New Hampshire whom I know would totally eat that message up. Think of those guys who were mocking school children who had brought a bill to the floor during their legislative session a few weeks ago. They'd love Walker.
    Compounding this problem is the fact that most New Hampshire representatives are paid next to nothing, and so the chamber can be a haven for also-rans, never-weres, never-will-bes and nothing-better-to-dos, as well as cranky weirdos who believe in fun theories like how the Boston Marathon bombing was an inside job.

Sounds like Walker's kinda place.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Welp, there are people in New Hampshire whom I know would totally eat that message up. Think of those guys who were mocking school children who had brought a bill to the floor during their legislative session a few weeks ago. They'd love Walker.

No wonder Hillary won that primary.
    Just kidding, christ.
    :hydra:

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't think every Republican politician is evil, or even the majority of them, but Scott Walker is absolutely

the only thing that keeps him from just having his rivals killed is that he couldn't get away with it

• Options
    Yesterday (well, technically 2 days ago) there was an election in Wisconsin. Every Wisconsinite here voted, right?

There was a constitutional amendment on the ballot to change the chief justice of the state supreme court from the longest serving justice to an elected position as voted on by the 7 member court. It passed with about 10% of the eligible electorate voting for it, because there was less than a 20% turnout, so of course the right is now calling it the "will of the people". First, constitutional amendments in the spring election are fucking bullshit, and second... will of the people? really?

Well, The current chief justice, Shirley Abrahamson, filed a suit in federal court today claiming the amendment is a violation of her constitutional due process rights because she was elected chief justice in 2009. The right wants to implement the amendment immediately so they can gain control of the court (4 conservative justices vs 3 liberal justices). If the federal court doesn't dismiss the suit right away, this could get really interesting.

• Options
    That is complete fuckmuppetry, Veev. Jesus christ.

I wish I could've voted, but I'm here in Minnesota with our generous social services, gay marriage, and liberal voting laws.

• Options
    20% turnout? Not like New York has any bragging rights regarding voter turnout, but I'd have hoped that the last few years of the state getting boned by Walker and crew would have gotten people more motivated. What's the role of the chief justice? Wikipedia is not helpful there.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Veevee wrote: »
    Yesterday (well, technically 2 days ago) there was an election in Wisconsin. Every Wisconsinite here voted, right?

I had no idea. Fuck.

Edit: is there an email list or something you can subscribe to to remind you of upcoming elections? The only media channel I participate in is the internet... and NPR, but that didn't help here.

Calica on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Calica wrote: »

I had no idea. Fuck.

Edit: is there an email list or something you can subscribe to to remind you of upcoming elections? The only media channel I participate in is the internet... and NPR, but that didn't help here.

There is an election every year, alternating between the first Tuesday of April and the first Tuesday of November. There's no email list, it's just a matter of staying informed and paying attention to local sources since the spring election is always local races. It's also a known fact that spring elections are bullshit with awful voter turnout, but I don't see them going away.

Veevee on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, we had our local elections here and I think got ~10% turnout.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's why I like my states all mail balloting. Hard to miss an election when they mail you a ballot.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That's why I like my states all mail balloting. Hard to miss an election when they mail you a ballot.

Or at the very least, information packets.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I had no idea. Fuck.

There is an election every year, alternating between the first Tuesday of April and the first Tuesday of November. There's no email list, it's just a matter of staying informed and paying attention to local sources since the spring election is always local races. It's also a known fact that spring elections are bullshit with awful voter turnout, but I don't see them going away.

I know the general pattern; I just utterly forgot this year >_<

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I had no idea. Fuck.

So you guys have an election on november like everybody else then another in 5 months and then not another one for 19 fucking months?

That is so fucking weird.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I had no idea. Fuck.

So you guys have an election on november like everybody else then another in 5 months and then not another one for 19 fucking months?

That is so fucking weird.

Yeah, that explains the shitty voter turnout right there.