As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands now available!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    In the current build of the game, Mathemagics with support from the mana regaining skills (like Blood Magic and Ley Lines) is the most overpowered thing in the game. Combined with Alchemy (which allows you to craft a lot of great spellpower and mana regen gear), it can make the game a walk in the park, as long as you can survive the first couple of floors. With a Math build, I recommend also taking Golemancy. 1 point in Mustache Golem will allow you to survive the first 3 floors without much difficulty.

Melee builds tend to wilt in the last two or three floors, even with top gear. This is because your damage output stays decent, but your damage mitigation stinks. Archdiggles in particular will wreck you. By the time you reach floor 8, be sure you have a huge stockpile of bolts and a good crossbow, because you're going to need them against the tougher enemies.

Make sure you have an escape skill. Fungal Arts has Inky Hoglanterns (invis), Artful Dodger has Knightly Leap, and Mathemagics has two teleports. This will be the main difference between surviving and dying in the mid floors.

Smithing is recommended for the passives alone (a great boost to Strength), but it also allows you to craft your own gear rather than rely on the vagarities of Brax's inventory.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Edit- wrong thread

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I can't get over the writing, its so witty. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny.

• Options
    The new teaser screenshot shows a few things, other than the Female Hero:
    107_teaser-300x225.jpg

You can go to their blog to see the bigger screenie.

Anyway, there's now a Belt, Gloves, and Pants slot in the gear screen.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Elvenshae on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    The more gear update will be fantastic. It will almost certainly get me to dive back into Dredy's dungeons, despite my backlog.

Hopefully, I'll at least have finished SpaceChem by then.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Okay, my best run to date has been an unarmed combat-focused build which made it to all of dungeon level 3 before I got surrounded, run out of food, and died.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a wizard build, and, to be honest, I'm not sure how you guys are doing it. It costs, what, 12 mana at a minimum to kill a single enemy (two or three blade spells; level 1 Promethean is nigh-useless)? How do you handle opening a door and finding 4 or 5 badguys? It's not like you can run - the enemies just follow you.

My current build is Staves, Golemancy, Mathemagic, Astrology, Promethen, Ley Walker, and Alchemy. In the rare event I make it to level 2, I'm picking up the Mustache Elemental, and that works well until an enemy just bypasses him and comes right at me (which happens in any large enough room).

EDIT: I'm up to Castor 21, for the record.

EDIT 2: Castor 22. 21 ate it when an electroblobby attacked, and my helpful teleport escape spell put me right next to it. Twice.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Elvenshae wrote:
    Okay, my best run to date has been an unarmed combat-focused build which made it to all of dungeon level 3 before I got surrounded, run out of food, and died.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a wizard build, and, to be honest, I'm not sure how you guys are doing it. It costs, what, 12 mana at a minimum to kill a single enemy (two or three blade spells; level 1 Promethean is nigh-useless)? How do you handle opening a door and finding 4 or 5 badguys? It's not like you can run - the enemies just follow you.

My current build is Staves, Golemancy, Mathemagic, Astrology, Promethen, Ley Walker, and Alchemy. In the rare event I make it to level 2, I'm picking up the Mustache Elemental, and that works well until an enemy just bypasses him and comes right at me (which happens in any large enough room).
    Tips I would give are:

Use the traps you find, you can even make monsters step on arrow traps multiple times if you are in a bind. This trick has saved me quite a few times.

If they go around the Mustache, you go around Mustache so he can still attack.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Elvenshae wrote:

EDIT: I'm up to Castor 21, for the record.

EDIT 2: Castor 22. 21 ate it when an electroblobby attacked, and my helpful teleport escape spell put me right next to it. Twice.

Drop Staves immediately. As a Caster, you should never be in melee range in later levels and the skill is jsut a waste when you could be dual wielding Orbs. Replace it with Blood Magic.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The first level Promethean spell isn't useless, either. Its an AOE, and it continues doing damage until the flames fade. That's my early-level go to for most of the mage builds.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You have to convince the enemies to line up for maximum effect.
    I haven't played since the latest patch. Did they fix the bug where it would randomly double cast your spells sometimes. That was murder for a fresh caster build.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Elvenshae

I was thinking about your build some more. My first piece of advice holds. Drop Staves and get Blood Magic. Blood Magic is essential for all mages.

I do have more advice. Dump at least one spellskill - other than Mathemagics which is full of incredibly useful spells - in exchange for a support power. Reason being that you don't really get the levels to max all of those spell trees, thus limiting usefulness. I would recommend keeping either Prom or Golem since they give good Zoo management spells (Obvious Fireball - at least it was pre-second nerf, or Thaumite Swarm respectively)

I would actually recommend either Burglary or Arch in it's place. Both help you with picking up and replacing traps right off the bat which is basically the best way - in support of your Drake or Mustache - to kill enemies early until you start getting spells like Golden Ratio that murder everything. Burglary also gives you lockpicks, while Arch would let you use "it belongs in a museum" for bonus XP letting you get to the bonus spells.

Still, in my experience, success as a Mage is decided early. Get lucky enough to survive the first few rooms or stumble across a good crossbow right away - additional ranged damage until you get your spells rolling - and your set. Once you hit floor 3, pretty much only you screwing up can kill you.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    My 939k kill dredmor on Going Rogue Permadeath was

Mathemagic, Magic School, Blood Magic, Promethean Magic, Ley Lines, Archeology, Burglary

By the end game I had so much mana regen I could keep that buff pot on constantly, along with the mathemagic buff, Recursive cost 6 mana to cast and with leylines maxed the buff from that was even more helpful. I only stopped at 939k cause dredmor killed himself on traps, was hoping to break a million.

Pump mathemagic til Obvious FIreball, use your wyrmling for clearing the first two floors, fireball for large groups.Get one point in Arch for "It Belongs in a Museum" for sending off useless artifacts for exp. Then max mathemagic-Magic School-Ley Lines-Blood Magic and after that Archeology for points whoring/Krong chances.

• Options
    I had a very similar setup for my Going Rogue Permadeath run, I just swapped Magic School for Alchemy. Even so, by the end I was able to run ZenZen and the Astrology buff you get from drinking a Pangalactic Gargle Blaster constantly.

I pumped Prom to the Drake, then dumped a point into Arch, back to Prom until Fireball, then maxes Blood Magic, then did Mathemagic until I got Golden Ratio and the Directed Teleport. At that point I just put points into whatever I felt like - though in retrospect I'd have prioritized Recursive Curse now that I know how awesome it is.

I can see Golemancy being a worthy substitute for Prom particularly when paired with Math's Directed teleport.

Port yourself directly onto the closed doors of Zoo, cast Thaumite Swarm, then back off leaving the Swarm to clear the vast majority of the Zoo for you. Use Golden Ratio to clean up the pieces

• Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    Surviving level 1 as a mage on Going Rogue basically means finding a lucky Dredmor statue or killing things by kiting them over arrow traps. Take the Promethean rune at level 2 and you can use it to kill rooms. At level 3 take the dragon summon and you win the first and second floors for free.

After that just build mana regen, spam Obvious Fireball as you work your way towards Recursive Curse. When you have 1 mana per turn use Recursive Curse on everything and win for free.

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Has Necrowhatever become a more viable option? I love the idea of a high risk/high reward magic option, but it was not effective enough to make up for the "you die early and horribly" part.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Still no slot for sleeves :(

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So, uhh, how do I drop an item from my belt? I'm running out of room here.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    So, uhh, how do I drop an item from my belt? I'm running out of room here.

Swap it for what you want in there?

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    just click the item to pick it up then click the floor tile to drop it on it

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I just installed this but I can't bring up the Steam Overlay; I still get achievements, though. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Nevermind; -openGL as a startup command fixed it.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I grabbed this with the Indie Bundle and have been having fun so far. I got to level 4 or 5 with a dual wield swords build before I decided to try out a mage. I'm missing not seeing damage readouts for spells the same way I did for melee and not knowing how much damage my spells are capable of doing. I'm also curious how others deal with situations where you open a door and there are a bunch of monsters right in front of you eager to attack. Right now I switch places with my wyrmling, hope its AI actually attacks something, and usually wind up damaging it alongside the enemies with fireballs.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of my best run yet; my smithing, vampire archaeologist is kicking ass.

• Options
    I'm in the middle of my best run yet; my smithing, vampire archaeologist is kicking ass.
    Have you run into an Archdiggle? They may become the end of your best run yet. *grin*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for 1.0.7 to hit before I try a Going Rogue run again. My 1.0.5 run ended in sheer stupidity (I felt very overpowered, so I had the game run extra fast, then I ran over a trap on the 8th floor and didn't release walk fast enough, died of the ongoing damage)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Apparently, patch 1.0.7 is already out in the Humble Indie Bundle version of the game. It will remain exclusive to the Humble Indie Bundle for the next week, and then all versions will be updated to the latest (1.0.7) version. Here's the latest scoop from their forums:
    1.0.8 is the expansion tree, yes. However: 1.0.8 includes a bunch of changes to the common tree as well. We have done a spectacularily bad job of advertising this, and it will no doubt require a corrective blog post when I don't feel like I'm going to die. (David, incidentally, is bleeding out of his fingers next to me.)

So:

1.0.7: was the female hero, mod support, and some bugfixes.
    1.0.8: includes a bunch of new stuff in the core game:

- scriptable room support, but no actual scripted rooms
    - a new crafting UI which we basically stole from Terraria
    - another fistful of new content; all skill trees now have a minimum of five skills in them
    - wandcrafting

as well as the support code for the expansion.

What is in the expansion, behind the bit that you have to pay for, is *at minimum* the following:

- six new skill trees (Werediggle, Emomancy, Piracy, Demonologist, Killer Vegan, Big Game Hunter)
    - somewhere between one hundred and two hundred new items that are not included in the main game
    - a bunch of new scripted rooms
    - five new levels at the bottom of the dungeon
    - the challenging "mysterious portal" mode
    - somewhere between twelve and twenty new monster types, depending on animator speed
    - new religious features
    - Secret Things we're not talking about yet

We're just going to see how much stuff we can cram in here. :)

Hope that clears things up.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Ooo, good stuff, especially the extra monster variety.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I got this from the Humble Indie Bundle, however I downloaded it using the Steam Key. My game is v1.06 and not 1.07.

So just an FYI, if you want 1.07 don't download it through Steam.

edit- Hah! I just got an Achievement for having my game crash. Love it! :D

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I just made it to the 8th floor; any advice from those who have made it this far?

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I just made it to the 8th floor; any advice from those who have made it this far?

Don't get killed by an arch-diggle counterattack like I did?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I feel like crying . . .

deathzl.jpg

• Options
    Getting killed by a Far Darrig. That's tough. :-P Usually, it's an Archdiggle or one of those Genie things that kill me when I'm at floor 10 and I die.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Apparently, patch 1.0.7 is already out in the Humble Indie Bundle version of the game. It will remain exclusive to the Humble Indie Bundle for the next week, and then all versions will be updated to the latest (1.0.7) version. Here's the latest scoop from their forums:
    1.0.8 is the expansion tree, yes. However: 1.0.8 includes a bunch of changes to the common tree as well. We have done a spectacularily bad job of advertising this, and it will no doubt require a corrective blog post when I don't feel like I'm going to die. (David, incidentally, is bleeding out of his fingers next to me.)

So:

1.0.7: was the female hero, mod support, and some bugfixes.
    1.0.8: includes a bunch of new stuff in the core game:

- scriptable room support, but no actual scripted rooms
    - a new crafting UI which we basically stole from Terraria
    - another fistful of new content; all skill trees now have a minimum of five skills in them
    - wandcrafting

as well as the support code for the expansion.

What is in the expansion, behind the bit that you have to pay for, is *at minimum* the following:

- six new skill trees (Werediggle, Emomancy, Piracy, Demonologist, Killer Vegan, Big Game Hunter)
    - somewhere between one hundred and two hundred new items that are not included in the main game
    - a bunch of new scripted rooms
    - five new levels at the bottom of the dungeon
    - the challenging "mysterious portal" mode
    - somewhere between twelve and twenty new monster types, depending on animator speed
    - new religious features
    - Secret Things we're not talking about yet

We're just going to see how much stuff we can cram in here. :)

Hope that clears things up.

No. Just no. Unacceptable.

First we have the autumn sale, then huge Terraria update... now we have the Christmas sale and an upcoming massive Dredmor update?

I need one of those magic time thingies like in Harry Potter

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Finally made it all the way to the end and then died horribly.

ffsly.jpg

I opened the door, Dredmor zapped me and killed me before I could move.

What a shame.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Upon realising the sheer horror that having two monster zoos on the same level counts as one as far as artefact goes, my most far going character promptly committed suicide by explosive rune.

(Actually I just had a braindead moment and stepped on a rune the zoo didn't activate, but the suicide theory is funnier.)

• Options
    Shimshai wrote:
    Finally made it all the way to the end and then died horribly.

ffsly.jpg

I opened the door, Dredmor zapped me and killed me before I could move.

What a shame.

:(

So close . . .

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Interesting bug I came across:
    bugggr.jpg

If I quit the game while having a creature summoned, when I re-load, I can summon an extra one. The first summon no longer draws aggro upon reloading though. I'm not planning on abusing this by the way, I just wanted to test it out to see if it worked repeatedly.

This may have come up before in the thread, but I haven't read it extensively..

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote:
    Interesting bug I came across:
    bugggr.jpg

If I quit the game while having a creature summoned, when I re-load, I can summon an extra one. The first summon no longer draws aggro upon reloading though. I'm not planning on abusing this by the way, I just wanted to test it out to see if it worked repeatedly.

This may have come up before in the thread, but I haven't read it extensively..
    I'm not sure if this is true now, but you used to be able to do this just by going up and down stairs and resummoning. The old pets before the latest summon use the old AI which duplicates the Monster AI, which is why they are terrible at tanking.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Did anyone else just get an update? What did it do?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It's the 1.7 update...and now I crash alot. Especially when trying to rob vending machines.

Or at least part of it. Not seeing the new skills though.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M