As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands now available!

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I wonder if modded games are eligible for leaderboards, I'm sure it would be possible to make some game-breaking mod and then just cheese to victory.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    A few of the best mods are spotlighted on the Gaslamp blog every so often.

Essential DoD II's Ninjitsu skill tree is also fun, and makes throwing things a significantly more viable combat specialization.

Someone doing a Let's Play on the Gaslamp forums has even made a custom "Batmannery" skill tree, which I hope someone fleshes out into an actual thing one of these days.

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    I finally killed Dredmor last night for the first time on Going Rogue/Permadeath. That was 108 hours well spent. :P

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    New expansion coming soonish. This one won't be free but one of the new skill trees is "Communist."

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    'Bankster' and 'Magical Law' also sound intriguing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    So, what do you guys think about the new skills in YHTNTEP? I really like Rogue Scientist, the Acidical Projector and Alchemical Toxin Canister are great crowd killers. Battle Geology isn't striking me as very interesting, there are enough defensive skills already. Warlockery looks fun for a mystic warrior type character.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I haven't gotten very far with any of the new skills but clockwork knight is ridiculous on the first and second levels, the second skill just one shots anything. Even if you don't care for it or other smithing/tinkering skills you could still use it to level while you get your important skills for the build you really want

• Options
    I've been using warlock, as I'd been wanting to make a melee mage anyway, and it seems pretty handy, though I'm only a couple down the path. The mage armor one especially is useful.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten very far with any of the new skills but clockwork knight is ridiculous on the first and second levels, the second skill just one shots anything. Even if you don't care for it or other smithing/tinkering skills you could still use it to level while you get your important skills for the build you really want

Sure, but that level 3 skill, the Rocket Jump...I'm not sure how that's good when it does 20 damage to you. Still, I'm tempted to go for a full CK build with something like CK/Smithing/Tinkering/Master of Arms/Dual Wielding/Axe/Archery and try to create a steampunk Space Marine.

I was running a Warlockery/Geology/Berzerker/Fungus/Archeaology guy in my last game. It was basically me stomping around hitting people with rock fists. Quite fun.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Soooo I've been playing the game a lot lately. I usually played it on the middle difficulty but I wanted to see the depths, so I made an easy character, no permadeath. And I made it to Lord Dredmor. And the fight is fucking impossible. I basically like never hit him, I did get him down to 3/4 health once, but he just wrecks my shit so fast before I can get away to recover. Even with my teleport. So I think I'm done with the game. That was not a fun experience at all. I don't mind dying and such, but I prefer it to be in a manner in which I can learn from mistakes. My mistake, unfortunately, seems to be "you picked the wrong skills." Starting from the beginning is NOT appealing.

• Options
    What skills did you pick? I guess I could see there being an issue if you just picked a hodgepodge of types, so that your stats never got as specialized as they would if you just picked one category. I've only gotten to dredmore with a pure fighter, so I don't know how much of an issue that is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Swords, Dual Wielding, Artful Dodger, Burglary, Perception, Archeology, and Big Game Hunter. I chose BGH because I was turning meats into ground meat into luteflisk, to turn into the shrines for gear. And if it was bad gear, archeology it out.

I learned that level ups beyond getting all your skills give you NOTHING in return. So now I know certain skills / ideas for builds are now shit.

Anyway, guess what guys? NEW DLC ANNOUNCED!
    Gaslamp Games is pleased to announce another entry in its ongoing series of hastily-named expansion packs: Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands.

We had so much fun releasing Realm of the Diggle Gods last year* and the ridiculously under-priced You Have To Name the Expansion Pack (with Steam Workshop support) two weeks ago, that we decided to do it all again**.

* AKA “The Year With No Christmas”
    ** This time for real money rather than Digglebucks. Why? Because Nicholas’ voracious coffee addiction doesn’t pay for itself.

For the past four months, a secret strike team of game development commandos has been secretly crafting arcane components into something for you… something about wizards. Something about their lands. Yes, this summon you must join the Conquest Of The Wizardlands.

New Features:

* Explore the Wizardlands! Trade Wizarding Graffiti with your friends and enemies alike to gain access to the fractured extra-dimensional domains of the Wizards using an innovative retro-inspired magic password system.
    * Harness the expanded storage space of your very own Pocket Dimension where interdimensional gnomes probably won’t steal all your crafting-junk.
    * Encrust your Equipment with our powerful new Encrusting System! Upgrade weapons and armour with powerful crusts, offering special abilities and horrifying instability effects as crust is encrusted upon crust!
    * Tackle new foes from the terrifyingly fun Baron Samedi to the small and annoying Cloud Gremlins who shoot small and annoying lightning bolts at you! Beware the Monstrous Rutabaga, scourge of the Vikings, who will run you down at unexpected speed with the monstrous dash ability.
    * Drunkenness!
    * New trophy screens, including a rewrite of the achievement system for off-line play (and people not using Steam)
    * Two new weapon types: Daggers and Polearms! (No really, they’re not Swords and Staves anymore!)
    * A whole WHACK of new Skills: Daggers, Polearms, Bankster, Communist, Paranormal Investigator, Magical Law, and more!
    * Minibosses!
    * A small, pleasant handful of usability fixes! (Which everyone with the core game will get for free, naturally.)
    * Enhanced sneakiness, monster sight cones, and alertness levels for more roguish gameplay! The only thing missing is a box you can carry around to hide in — unless you count an extra-dimensional box (see the first item in this list).
    * Diggle Hell. It’s a real place.

How and when you ask?

Price: $2.99.

Arrival: Pretty Darned Quick.

Excited about encrusting.

Also Dredmor wiki is finally starting to update with info for YHTNTEP. Though Clockwork Knight is the only thing with some info so far.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    I wonder when they are going to add autoexplore/movement and autorest (or remove passive health regen OR add hunger). On my earlier attempts to play this game I always quit soon because the game rewards incredibly boring gameplay. Now I've managed to get to floor 11, and it's still really, really boring. The game isn't really challenging, just monotonous.

My main gripes:
    Lack of autoexplore and moving via map is boring and doesn't add anything to the game.

As there's no penalty for passing time, you can always just whack space to get full health without needing food. It's really boring, but it's the gameplay. This was stupid when they released the game, and I don't understand how this still hasn't been fixed. (I don't have the patience to actually do this, but it's annoying).

Monsters move at the same speed as player, always -> it's literally impossible to die when playing carefully. It's not hard or challenging, just tedious. Always retreat using a teleport skill before going to critical health, never die.

Lutefisk. Afaik most effective way to sacrifice lutefisk is to get 500 at once. It's really tedious. Also, shops. The optimal way is again to sell everything you don't need, again tedious.

Inventory management in general is extemely annoying, as there's huge amount of items that don't stack yet are basically the same item. Foods and drinks mostly, but really arrows and such too.

Potions and mushrooms seem pretty much useless at later levels. Wands apparently scale, but they feel kinda bad too.

-

In short, I don't get why this would get good reviews or why anybody would play this over better roguelikes. I get this was bad at release, but they haven't really done anything after two expansions to fix things.

/rant

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Keemossi wrote: »
    I wonder when they are going to add autoexplore/movement and autorest (or remove passive health regen OR add hunger). On my earlier attempts to play this game I always quit soon because the game rewards incredibly boring gameplay. Now I've managed to get to floor 11, and it's still really, really boring. The game isn't really challenging, just monotonous.

My main gripes:
    Lack of autoexplore and moving via map is boring and doesn't add anything to the game.

As there's no penalty for passing time, you can always just whack space to get full health without needing food. It's really boring, but it's the gameplay. This was stupid when they released the game, and I don't understand how this still hasn't been fixed. (I don't have the patience to actually do this, but it's annoying).

Monsters move at the same speed as player, always -> it's literally impossible to die when playing carefully. It's not hard or challenging, just tedious. Always retreat using a teleport skill before going to critical health, never die.

Lutefisk. Afaik most effective way to sacrifice lutefisk is to get 500 at once. It's really tedious. Also, shops. The optimal way is again to sell everything you don't need, again tedious.

Inventory management in general is extemely annoying, as there's huge amount of items that don't stack yet are basically the same item. Foods and drinks mostly, but really arrows and such too.

Potions and mushrooms seem pretty much useless at later levels. Wands apparently scale, but they feel kinda bad too.

-

In short, I don't get why this would get good reviews or why anybody would play this over better roguelikes. I get this was bad at release, but they haven't really done anything after two expansions to fix things.

/rant

this is why

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    The new DLC is out.

Also, I never gotten a weapon with Existential damage before so I'm not sure this has always been like this, but still:

YJLMJ.jpg

Pbd0V.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Wait... this game still doesn't have auto-rest, like every other Roguelike since Moria? The optimal way to play is still to mash the space bar to heal and burn through cooldowns?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah it has a lot of super stupid design decisions. Like, a ton. The only real draw of the game is the humor and the graphics and stuff like that: the fundamentals are in some places spotty and in other places unforgivably awful.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wait... this game still doesn't have auto-rest, like every other Roguelike since Moria? The optimal way to play is still to mash the space bar to heal and burn through cooldowns?
    No, you keep going regardless of HP and cooldowns, accepting your fate like a true hero.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    To address a few complaints,
    Firstly, there is an autorest in the form of food; once you have eaten something there is a button to auto-rest until the buff has ended i.e. you've eaten it all.

Secondly, there is a penalty for resting. More monsters spawn the longer you take. The more you rest the worse you make it for yourself later in the game. If you're wanting an ability to auto-rest to heal outside of the one provided for food you're only going to make it worse, as it will burn a lot of turns healing at such a slow rate.

Thirdly, if waiting to heal and moving around the dungeon is laborious, you really should be speeding the game up. Press the + key a few times, it makes a big difference.

I've also never been too bothered by all enemies moving the same speed because I've gotten shot in the back a few times by ranged enemies but I guess that's a preference thing.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I picked this game up during the sale, and just grabbed the expansion. Does anyone have any advice for building a wizard-type character? Right now I'm running Promethean Magic, Magical Law, Wand Lore, Magical Training, Ley Walker, Archeology and Artful Dodger. I'm trying to stack spell power buffs and mp regen, relying on dodge to keep me safe.

I'm still trying to work out what skills synergize well.

• Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    I picked this game up during the sale, and just grabbed the expansion. Does anyone have any advice for building a wizard-type character? Right now I'm running Promethean Magic, Magical Law, Wand Lore, Magical Training, Ley Walker, Archeology and Artful Dodger. I'm trying to stack spell power buffs and mp regen, relying on dodge to keep me safe.

I'm still trying to work out what skills synergize well.

I did an awesome build time ago with Necronomagics, Demonology, Emomancy, Blood Mage, Astrology and Magical Training. Or something like that.

• Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    Hrm... anyone tried out Geology? Stone Secret doesn't seem to proc when I block for some reason, even though http://j-factor.com/dredmorpedia/#1579 says it should be a 100% chance. I'm not using the first geology power though, does that need to be going?

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    I got me the DLC. And I seem to have a problem finding daggers.

Also Bankster looks fun as hell.

• Options
    Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

You could mash your space bar... or be smart and hold it and see the time passing by fast and your health or mana or both at full.

• Options
    I got tired of constantly redoing the first 3 levels, so I'm trying a no-permadeath run. I saved after opening a portal to the wizardlands, and stepped through, but then I died, and now whenever I open that save, I get an immediate crash to desktop. Anyone else had this problem?

• Options
    kaorti wrote: »
    I got tired of constantly redoing the first 3 levels, so I'm trying a no-permadeath run. I saved after opening a portal to the wizardlands, and stepped through, but then I died, and now whenever I open that save, I get an immediate crash to desktop. Anyone else had this problem?

You can only ever visit each Wizardland once, which likely still applies even if you're non-permadeathing. I'd probably report that to Gaslamp Games.

• Options
    The Wizardlands being a fixed set, accessible once per INSTALL, makes me nervous about ever visiting them. Fuuuuuuuuck that shit until they find a recycle solution.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    The Wizardlands being a fixed set, accessible once per INSTALL, makes me nervous about ever visiting them. Fuuuuuuuuck that shit until they find a recycle solution.

The chances of getting the same Wizardland seed by chance is about the same to generating the same dungeon level more than once; pretty much close to never by any sane standards. The enforced no-repeats doesn't mean anything in the context of normal play. You're not going to start running out until you've visited ~93,000 Wizardlands on dungeon level one. Then you'll have to start visiting Wizardlands on deeper levels. Or reinstall the game, if your computer has held out that long. Oh, the horror! (source)

The actual interesting thing here is not the finite (but extremely large) number of levels, but that you can share the level generation seed on the internet.

Frem on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There is a recycle solution: If you search the gaslamp forums you can find the name of the file that tracks which you have visited. Delete that file and it'll reset it.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ... Oh, well fuck me and my fears then.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A Wizardland Warning:
    Levers are really fucking dangerous. Don't do it man!

My level 1 Wizardland lever spawned 2 Evil Clones. Those things hit for 50hp each. I don't have 50hp, nor does my summon.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A Wizardland Warning:
    Levers are really fucking dangerous. Don't do it man!

My level 1 Wizardland lever spawned 2 Evil Clones. Those things hit for 50hp each. I don't have 50hp, nor does my summon.

Yeah the Evil Clones are pretty much the only things that give me trouble in there so far. Evil.

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I was gifted this game a couple of weeks ago by a friend. I'm really liking it, though I haven't tried much variance from the first set of skills I set out with, where I was an unarmed, throwing weapon berserker with nothing to lose.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I just spent way too long playing Dredmor. I was going to check one more room and call it quits, only I ran out of lockpicks and kicked down the door, to reveal a monster zoo.

Clever aggro manipulation around some blocking terrain and patient usage of my few ranged items/attacks and I slaughtered all 98 of them. Even the invisible fucking pumpkin thing that you can't target unless it is right next to you. Is that a bug?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I just spent way too long playing Dredmor. I was going to check one more room and call it quits, only I ran out of lockpicks and kicked down the door, to reveal a monster zoo.

Clever aggro manipulation around some blocking terrain and patient usage of my few ranged items/attacks and I slaughtered all 98 of them. Even the invisible fucking pumpkin thing that you can't target unless it is right next to you. Is that a bug?

Don't believe so, I think it's intended.

THINGS OF NOTE: Smithing/tinkering does not increase your rate of return on ingots (nerfed some time ago, apparently) - you now only get 1 ingot per ore at 0 smith/tinkering, and 2 ingots at all other levels.

The free expansion pack is AWESOME, btw. You can get it from Steam, now, too - it adds a TON of new items and craftables.

Currently running:

Axes (Clockwork Chainaxe and Double Chainaxe)
    Dual Wielding
    Smithing
    Tinkering
    Buglarly (Two points for the Lockpick - now automatically unlocks doors, no need to cast -> no Lutefisk cube cheating)
    Archaeology
    Clockwork Knight

Can't wait for the "I never asked for this" achievement. /Jensen

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Sorry to necro an old thread BUT...

I love this game and suck at it. Really suck at it. Can anyone recommend a good let's play to watch of it? N0rthernlion only had 2 of his series and then dropped it; are there any other good ones?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I love this game and suck at it. Really suck at it. Can anyone recommend a good let's play to watch of it? N0rthernlion only had 2 of his series and then dropped it; are there any other good ones?

A lot of the community went quiet by the time the last expansion launched.

What stuff is ruining your runs?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I could never get a handle on spell-heavy builds, personally. I usually avoid those trees.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

A lot of the community went quiet by the time the last expansion launched.

What stuff is ruining your runs?

Me.

• Options
    I'm sort of in a similar spot. Can anyone recommend a decent spell-casting build?