As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traveling Xbox 360 Transfer Cable

jclastjclast Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
So, most of us who ever need a transfer cable need it exactly one time. I am hoping that we can set up a traveling transfer cable system to save some people money. The Steam thread has taught me that PAers are pretty classy folks so does anybody have a 360 transfer cable (one that could migrate from an old 120 to a new 250GB drive? If somebody is able to pass it along to me, the next person who needs one and make a post in here or shoots me a PM will get it in the mail once I am done with it. After that, hopefully, it can continue traveling and saving people money.

camo_sig2.png
jclast on

• Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    This sounds like a good idea, but the fact that you can use USB flash drives to transfer files nowadays (and taking into account the incredible storage capacity), it seems like more work than is necessary.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    How does that help jclast though? If he just has the drive he needs the transfer cable. It's a good idea, we've done it before and it works.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I have one, though you couldn't use it between two Xbox 360 S consoles, like all the old cables.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    aww crap. I took my transfer cable back to Fry's last night...

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Also, if you dont want to buy a flash drive, a USB external hard drive will also do. beware however It will format it to the same size as your xbox drive, copy everything over, then do the reverse on the new system, and you can reformat the hard drive back to windows format after. I did this, no problem.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think I still have mine at home jclast. I'll take a look in about an hour.

• Options
    That sounds awesome. Thanks, urahonky! Also, my 120GB is not an S console so the cable should work. If you ends up finding it I will pass it on when I am done with it and somebody expresses interest.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Found the actual cable, give me a moment to find the disc. I have like a warchest of items to go through. :P

• Options
    Found 'em. Just shoot me a PM with your address and I'll try to get this out to you this week.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If and when I decide to replace my old console that RROD'd, I'd definitely need one. Since, y'know, I can't transfer the data to USB on account of the console being dead.

I thought about buying the cable, using it, then returning it, but I dunno, that seems pretty shady.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jclast can send it to you next whenever you want. Or whomever needs it most.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh yeah, I'm just speaking randomly off the top of my head here. Nice to know the option is open though. :)

Still, just mentioning that even though you can use USB drives now, there are situations where the cable is still useful.

edit: The smiley emoticon is now a "just a minute" smiley...? Okie dokie...

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I have one too, if anyone wants it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I thought those transfer cables worked exactly once? :/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Where did you get that impression? It's just a cable. You can even use them to hook up the old-style drives to PC for backup, though MS don't sanction it.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    M_WM_W Registered User regular
    Oh, God, I hope no one comes up with the technology for single-use cables.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    If I remember right, the cable cannot transfer any DLC from original Xbox games if you have any saved on your 360 (it can transfer the save files though). So any DLC from Halo 2 or Mechassault or Crimson Skies or whatever will become corrupted.

And since the cable formats the drive it copies from, that means you permanently lose that DLC since the original Xbox Live is down and you can't download that stuff anymore (well, except in Halo 2's case since you can get that bonus disc with the DLC on it, but even then the disc is still missing one of the maps).

• Options
    Sent urahonky a PM with my address, but I feel like he deserves a public thank you for being willing to look through what sounds like a couple pretty big boxes just to help me out. I will certainly pay it forward and send the cable on to another PAer who needs to use it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:
    Where did you get that impression? It's just a cable. You can even use them to hook up the old-style drives to PC for backup, though MS don't sanction it.

The instruction manual! It said that the cable could be used once, and that the "use" wouldn't be up until the transfer was complete.

...unless it was a very poor choice of words, and they actually meant the content from the drive could only be transferred to one drive, not copied infinitely.

But then why say "CABLE" instruction manual!? WHY!? Making me look like an idiot on forums, you are...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jclast wrote:
    Sent urahonky a PM with my address, but I feel like he deserves a public thank you for being willing to look through what sounds like a couple pretty big boxes just to help me out. I will certainly pay it forward and send the cable on to another PAer who needs to use it.

Oh no problem at all! I was literally going through my boxes looking to throw some stuff up on the "Free to a good home" thread, and was contemplating just throwing it away, but I remembered that people on the PA usually ask for it so I kept it.

• Options
    Mailed it out for you jclast. I was so very tempted to put "Simon Pegg" as the sender, but decided I might as well use my real name. :P

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:

The instruction manual! It said that the cable could be used once, and that the "use" wouldn't be up until the transfer was complete.

...unless it was a very poor choice of words, and they actually meant the content from the drive could only be transferred to one drive, not copied infinitely.

But then why say "CABLE" instruction manual!? WHY!? Making me look like an idiot on forums, you are...

No, I remember this as well. Isn't there even a XBL code you have to enter to do the transfer? It's been over a year since I've done it, so I don't remember that well.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Nah. I sent this cable out before and none of the other PAers had any issues.