As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me understand Chicago's transit

BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus PssssssssyyyyyyyyduckRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll be taking a trip to Chicago in two weeks and will be relying soley on the public transit system. I've been to the CTA website a few times to try and get a grasp of what I should be taking when I get there but it all just seems really confusing to me. I'll be arriving at the O'hare, drop my crap off at the hotel and then do whatever. Part of the reason why I'm there is for a festival but I've got a few extra days for whatever. All I really need to know is what Ill need to take to get from O'hare to somewhere near grant park. I know its a bit of a distance but location is dependant upon money, which I lack. What I have gathered from looking at the site is something along the lines of; take the blue line to (washington I think it was?) and it'll just be a few short blocks to the park. Please please correct me if I'm wrong. And if there is some sort of android app that might simplify this recommend on.

BradicusMaximus on

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Does your hotel offer shuttle service to/from O'hare?

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Yeah, 24/7.

• JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    The downtown map will help you the most: http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/clickable_system_map/200806D.htm
    The closest blue line stop to Grant Park is Jackson, at which point you head one and a half blocks east and you're there. The Art Institute is also right along that path if that interests you.

If you want to get to the Field Museum or Shedd Aquarium, you can either walk south along the road on the east side of the park, or you can transfer to the red line at Jackson (the transfer is free), go two more blocks, and get off at Roosevelt. It's frankly a tossup unless it's raining, in which case you'd probably want to take the train.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
    So its essentially just the blue line from O'hare to Jackson and just a tiny walk? If thats the case it doesn't seem so bad.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    You can just type in the locations to google maps as well, thats hooked up to the CTA so you can pick the public transportation option and it will give you the different buses, trains etc that you can take to get there and when the next one is scheduled to leave. Other then that the CTA is pretty easy generally speaking and the L stops all should have maps.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Where's the hotel that you're staying at? Rosemont?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Rosemont would be better, or Cumberland station.

CTA has some Web aps: http://www.transitchicago.com/tracker/
    And some Android (nor made by them): http://www.transitchicago.com/apps/default.aspx

I've used the Trackers, and they work just fine. Trains are pretty good with time, buses sometimes get backed up. The fares are better if you just put $10 or more on a card, or use one of the special use cards: http://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

Otherwise it's pretty easy. Take the Blue Line, but only if the old black man is playing modern jazz on his trombone. If it's classic or Naw'lins blues, wait for the third train. Once on the train, speak to the woman wearing a blue stocking cap; she will tell you a number. Do not use it. Wear a checked scarf to pay the piper.

edited July 2011
    Baymont O'hare I believe it is. I'm told its easier just to shank said piper. Is this true?

BradicusMaximus on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you can get on the blue line from your hotel, then it's super easy. Grant Park in Chicago is about two blocks from any of the CTA stations you might exit near the park. And you don't need an android app to look for the subway map as CTA has handed off their scheduling to Google Maps, which is built into your Android phone. And you are unlikely to need to worry about timing either because if you miss your train, there will be another coming in a few minutes. I've never seen the CTA totally shut down.

But if you booked the Baymont @ 2881 Touhy Ave, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 then... well, you're not close to a CTA station at all. If you're lucky, they'll have a shuttle service. Otherwise you'll have to use a taxi to get the station which won't save you any money. The Rosemont station (closest station to O'hare that's not IN O'hare) you can see on this map. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=type:transit_station:"Rosemont"&ftid=0x880fb601504883ad:0x642a822f3e0efbba

Arminas on
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, when I was looking at the hotel website it stated 24 hour shuttle service. I called just be sure the shuttles would be just as reliable at night and the guy I spoke to said I shouldn't have any problems. So I'm a bit confused about the locations. Is there actually a train I can get on from the airport or is it still a ways away.

BradicusMaximus on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yes, there's an El stop in O'hare. It's down in the connection tunnels. So you'd get dropped off at the Shuttle dropoff at Terminal 2, go down to the luggage pickup area, then go down again past the tunnel to airport hotel. The El stop is in that area.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yes, there's an El stop in O'hare. It's down in the connection tunnels. So you'd get dropped off at the Shuttle dropoff at Terminal 2, go down to the luggage pickup area, then go down again past the tunnel to airport hotel. The El stop is in that area.

Yup. It's doable, just a small hike.

If they can swing through Rosemont station, it'd save you some walking. O'Hare is worth checking out if you have the time as there's some cool tile and artwork down there, so it's up to you.

Also, yes, shanking is acceptable, just not stealing iphones.

MichaelLC on