As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oy Oy Let's Have a Whiskey Thread

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Dunno about The Kraken, but I love the shit outta some Rake rum

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Kraken owns

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Kraken wins my award for "Best thing I only tried because I thought the name sounded cool".

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ok, need some suggestions. I'm generally a beer drinker, but as of a few weeks ago live in an area with a generally disappointing beer selection. Wine selection is ok. Looking like it might be time to develop my taste for bourbon, scotch or whiskey though.

I've never been much of a fan of Jack, or Jim Beam. Johnnie Walker Black was better but still not something i'd want to make a habit of drinking. Last month though I opened a bottle of Woodford Reserve at a family party, and kind of fell in love. Ordered it a couple times at bars later and re-affirmed that love. Any suggestions for something similar to try as I try to broaden my palate?

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Ketar wrote: »
    Ok, need some suggestions. I'm generally a beer drinker, but as of a few weeks ago live in an area with a generally disappointing beer selection. Wine selection is ok. Looking like it might be time to develop my taste for bourbon, scotch or whiskey though.

I've never been much of a fan of Jack, or Jim Beam. Johnnie Walker Black was better but still not something i'd want to make a habit of drinking. Last month though I opened a bottle of Woodford Reserve at a family party, and kind of fell in love. Ordered it a couple times at bars later and re-affirmed that love. Any suggestions for something similar to try as I try to broaden my palate?

My whiskey cabinet currently contains; Makers Mark, Glenlivet 12, and Jameson, all of them very good and they wont break the bank.

I drink the Makers in whiskey sours, Manhattans and whiskey and cokes, Glenlivet is drunk neat or over ice, Jameson is mostly for Irish Car Bombs and drinking with dark beers.

I also have a bottle of George T. Stagg 2007 The bottle only has a lick left, but it was my first whiskey I ever had, drank it with my Uncle. Kept the bottle for sentimental value, still just a tiny bit left I refuse to touch.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I've still got a little if the friggin gallon of Evan Williams left from DirtySoufPAX

It's a liitle rough straight but pretty damn good mixed with coke or pepsi

RC Cola with Evan Williams

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TheClarksterTheClarkster Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Bulleit Rye with coke or Crown Royal with anything gingery.

Or a nice Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic. Or a paloma with Espolon tequila. Now I am thirsty as hell at 8:30 AM at work Wednesday morning.

Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Who wants to talk about good gin?

I was a gin drinker for years in college, and I drank New Amsterdam because it was cheap and inoffensive. Mix it with some Rose's, and you're all set for the night.

Once I graduated from college I had money again, and I started paying more for alcohol. A lot of my grown up friends are big scotch drinkers, so that's what I started doing, and I really do like scotch (my current favorite is, I think, the Dalmore). But then I realized in all my buying fifty dollar bottles of scotch, I'd still never paid more than twenty dollars a handle for gin.

So I began buying good gin.

The best, so far, has been Comb 9. If you find Comb 9, you buy it. It is the only gin I really like drinking straight up (or mixed with a little bit of violet liqueur).

If you want something similar to Comb 9, but for mixed drinks (ie cheaper), I've had good luck with Broker's recently. Similar botanical qualities, not nearly as smooth. Also, the bottles come with fancy little bowler hats. Which you can save and if you drink too much soon your entire liquor collection will look all fancy.

I also recently bought a bottle of Bulldog, which I'm not that impressed buy. It's a (not much) cheaper version of Hendrick's, or at least it's supposed to be, but it had a hell of a burn compared to gins of similar price.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gins I've had that do nothing but disappoint:

Bluecoat
    Bombay
    Bombay Sapphire
    Beefeater
    Tanqueray

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I came here to second The Kraken as an excellent rum. I only bought it because I wanted the bottle originally, but I was pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    Kraken is a pretty tasty rum. Makes a solid rum and coke. And if you're a heathen who is okay with putting dark rum in a mojito, it's not half bad at that either.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    For relaxing times, make it Suntory Time.

I'm interested in trying out some single malt scotches. I've heard good things about Glenmorangie as a starter scotch.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    The best Whiskey I ever had was a Scotch at the Wynn in Las Vegas.

My boss won it big at Blackjack, so he took us all out to eat. He looked directly at me and said: "get whatever you want."
    I wasn't too hungry, so I ate light (truffle mac & cheese, fuck yes). Dessert wasn't worth the calories, so I ordered a Scotch.
    I can't remember now what it was. It was a single-malt, a brand I recognized. The waiter suggested it. I don't remember the specific variety. I wish I did because goddamn was it delicious.

We got the bill. "I hope you enjoyed that Scotch," boss says. Because that single glass of Scotch was $45.

Doesn't matter. I was still the cheapest one at the table.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Haha, this thread's resurrection is incredibly convenient because I have a triumph to celebrate.

About two years ago, I was visiting my cousin in Dallas, and I happened to be at a nifty pool bar. At the time, I was still learning my way around whisky, and my curiosity won me the sympathies of the bartender. He let me sip a few scotches I'd never had before, and the one that really stuck out was from the Glendronach distillery.

glendronach_12_original2.jpg

Seriously good shit, all leather and smoke and caramel. Naturally, when I get home I want to acquire some. The trouble is, Glendronach has a rocky history and was just recently able to reestablish itself as an independent distillery, so I wasn't able to get a hold of the stuff anywhere. The best I could do, with considerable difficulty, was to order a bottle all the way from Scotland as a Christmas present. But it came and went, and I never expected to see it again.

Until a week ago when it appeared in my local Twin Liquors. Turns out there's a high-rolling scotch fan around here who insisted they order some, so about ten bottles came in. Naturally I snatched one up. It's as good as I remember.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Oh lord, put that in my mouth. It sounds amazing.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Recently picked up a Laphroaig Quarter Cask. That stuff is amazing.

Edit: Also, got some Absinthe from a friend. Le Fée it's called. It is surprisingly tasty.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I was in a Woodford Reserve rut, until I discovered the love that is Blanton's

blantons%20bourbon.jpg

You can also collect the little horseguys. They have different poses!

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Collectible caps?

I'm in.

• Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    This keeps me warm at night whenever we go camping:

Fireballwhisky750mL__48924_zoom.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    I saw this in the store this week and the bottle looked too cute for its own good, but after coming back and reading about it I got pretty excited to give it a go.

hhlarceny1.jpg

It's a wheated (like Maker's Mark) from the same company that makes Elijah Craig, which is my go-to. But it's supposedly a lot less flabby than Maker's and has a bit more to it while still having that wheated smoothness.

It's also my 30th birthday next week so I want to get something awesome, but we had a baby a month ago and money is shaping up to be pretty tight over the next few years. So it's my last chance to blow $100 at the liquor store. I'm thinking a $60 MaCallan 12, a $25 Larceny, and a $15 of Evan Williams 1783, which ain't bad at all for a "third drink in the night" bottle.

I freaking love MaCallan 12. I wish I could spring for a $100 bottle of scotch, but I can't justify it to myself.

• Options
    It's not Whiskey, but I got hammered with some workmates down at my place about a fortnight ago and ended up drinking my red wine cellar clear. On one hand, damnit I wish I had been a bit more sober when I drank some of that wine but on the other hand, it was there to be drunk so eff it why not?+

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    I'm ashamed to say that I live 2 hours from Lexington ky and haven't taken the whiskey tour

I need to do that sometime

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My girlfriend only drinks two kinds of alcohol, moscato wine and bourbon whiskey. She's kind of odd like that. We're starting to experiment with other whiskey types. I have learned through this that Red Stag is absolutely the worst thing I have ever tasted. Ever.

• Options
    TheClarksterTheClarkster Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The best, so far, has been Comb 9. If you find Comb 9, you buy it. It is the only gin I really like drinking straight up (or mixed with a little bit of violet liqueur).

If you want something similar to Comb 9, but for mixed drinks (ie cheaper), I've had good luck with Broker's recently. Similar botanical qualities, not nearly as smooth. Also, the bottles come with fancy little bowler hats. Which you can save and if you drink too much soon your entire liquor collection will look all fancy.

I also recently bought a bottle of Bulldog, which I'm not that impressed buy. It's a (not much) cheaper version of Hendrick's, or at least it's supposed to be, but it had a hell of a burn compared to gins of similar price.

But I love my Sapphire so much =\ A little tonic and Rose's and I'm set. You think Broker's would be a good switch? Local Bevmo doesn't have Comb 9 unfortunately. I need a bigger gin repertoire though as it has become my favorite liquor/spirit up there with tequila now.

Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    Dry counties in the US is fucking ba-nay-nay

The first time someone told me I couldn't buy liquor in this county I thought they were fucking with me

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    I've found Tanqueray to be a pretty good, decently priced (usually) standby.

I'd like to branch out a bit more once I have a bit more cash, which will hopefully be soon.

Not usually a terribly great range of Gins to be found around where I am though, even at the bigger places.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    tanqueray is so goddamn good. That, Bombay Sapphire and Gordon's are all the gins I need to live a rich and fulfilling life

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have one of these babies for my hotel room at PAX this coming weekend.

15399_5.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm not drinking just because the bars close down.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also, this has become my most purchased whiskey for general drinking purposes.

10578_7.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    tanqueray is so goddamn good. That, Bombay Sapphire and Gordon's are all the gins I need to live a rich and fulfilling life

Tanqueray 10 especially, is lovely for drinking on its own with just a bit of ice.

But at least to me those are pretty different qualities, I like Tanqueray way more than Sapphire at this point, and Gordon's is only a little above Beefeater.

Hendrick's is where it's really at, though. If you like Gin and you've never tried it you really owe it to yourself.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Hendrick's you say? Hmm, I'll have to have a look for it. Those three I mentioned cover me across all the price ranges and I can find any or all of them at any bottle shop in town

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    bombay sapphire is in the freezer right now

gonna go have some

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Of the scotches I've tried, Highland Park is my favourite line

The 12 and the 18 are both incredible

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

But I love my Sapphire so much =\ A little tonic and Rose's and I'm set. You think Broker's would be a good switch? Local Bevmo doesn't have Comb 9 unfortunately. I need a bigger gin repertoire though as it has become my favorite liquor/spirit up there with tequila now.

If you're mixing it, Broker's will treat you just fine.

• Options
    Hendrick's is a solid gin. It's different from most gins though, being a cucumber.

That's sort of something to keep in mind with various types of gin. The reason I don't drink Bombay or Tanqueray is because they are kind of boring, mild gins, and for the same price I could have like a gallon of New Amsterdam. The stuff I'm dropping money on are the more flavorful, botanical gins.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    medium_bulleitbourbon.jpg

this is a pretty delicious drink, a buddy of mine gave me a little, and man. it's got a complex taste, and i'm hardly an authority on the whiskey palette

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    yeah I like bulleit too

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Man when I was in Japan in February I visited the Yamazaki distillery in Kyoto, and that place was pretty awesome. Some of their single malt stuff was by far some of the best whiskey I've every drunk, too.

I brought a bottle for my brother back as a Christmas present, he still hasn't opened it yet :|

Anzekay on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    oh shit, thanks for reminding me i have a bottle of balvenie 15 in the cabinet, whisky drinkers

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'm drinking Makers 46 right now.

It's, well, definitely better than regular Makers. Not sure I like more than Woodford or Eagle Rare though.

This discussion has been closed.