As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]roid

South hostSouth host I obey without questionRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
2011-07-01-beartato-fireworks2011.png

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
South host on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Kosh, can I make a thread that says 'only post if you're X' where X is a thing not all posters can have? Like a life experience, for example?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's funny because he will reap his revenge during Shark Week.

I may have made a [chat] about System Shock 2.

• Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    oh god i never made a chat before and now i'm scared i did it wrong

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Oh great.

Just fantastic.

On the plus side, this [chat] gives me an idea for the next time I get to make a [chat].

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    South host wrote:
    oh god i never made a chat before and now i'm scared i did it wrong

You did it all wrong. You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I think the way to do liberalism in fiction - or rather I should say, the way it has been done most successfully - is to show its values acting on the personal level. You can't write fiction about institutions (and have it be really emotionally compelling, anyway), but you can show Huck Finn bonding with a slave, you can write about Jude Fawley challenging his society's class strictures, you can tell stories like The Wire that muscularly assert the basic humanity of whores and addicts and the unemployed.

Yeah, and likewise reform is carried out by finding the one sympathetic individual; this was great when liberalism is principally concerned over gaining minority interests entry into a mainstream political society. Emotionalism operates best at strengthening special interests; great insofar as said special interest should be strengthened because it is presently unfairly weak. But emotional narrative is not quite so concerned with evaluating that last condition.

In the abstract we say that liberal reform entails general improvement but in practice it is often politically necessary to package such improvement as part of a emotionally compelling narrative; we operate a lot more like how we like our fiction than we might claim.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I like "this discussion is closed"

instead of locked

it's nice

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Steam
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I like "this discussion is closed"

instead of locked

it's nice

It's less harsh sounding.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote:
    Kosh, can I make a thread that says 'only post if you're X' where X is a thing not all posters can have? Like a life experience, for example?

I am going to go ahead and punt that question to Will or Jeffe because I am about to crash and I don't know what kind of precendent we have for that sort of thing. What exactly do you have in mind?

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    WHY DOES YOUR NAME LACK E'S

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    god i love that song

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Wash wrote:

Because "E's" are dumb.

Steam
  • Options
    L-l-l-look at you, [Chat]ter, a p-pathetic creature of meat and bone.

• Options
    Wash wrote:
    god i love that song

I saw them in concert on Wednesday.

Only problem with them live, is that her voice isn't really strong enough to break thru the music. It was almost impossible to hear her.

Steam
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Wash wrote:

Because "E's" are dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0lzyUOjvFw&feature=related

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

I am going to go ahead and punt that question to Will or Jeffe because I am about to crash and I don't know what kind of precendent we have for that sort of thing. What exactly do you have in mind?

Someone from [chat] was having a conversation with me earlier about Israel, and how hard it is to have meaningful conversations (and learning) going on without every Tom, Dick and Harry baying about genocide or other useless white noise. I was idly considering something like "only post if you are from the Middle East or if you have unique experience or formal study regarding the region" or whatever. It'd be really nice to have kind of a mini-Wiki of amassed information and discussion from people who did more than read the Wikipedia page.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    2009-10-13-harrisonstories16.gif

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    i-kicked-burning-terrorist-so-hard.jpg

Blast from the past: world's best headline

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JK looks magic at premiere?

Steam
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    still all nervy. gonna try and go to bed.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That headline makes no grammatical sense.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    just spotted a 15+ meter long trail of tiny ants winding its way through a lot of crevices, up a cupboard, down a cupboard, etc., from outside the building all the way to a dustbin (with some food in it) near the center.

I'm impressed. Annoyed, but impressed.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    2009-12-04-beartato-shouldieatit.gif

It's pretty much all gold on that site.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I need more sleep.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

Someone from [chat] was having a conversation with me earlier about Israel, and how hard it is to have meaningful conversations (and learning) going on without every Tom, Dick and Harry baying about genocide or other useless white noise. I was idly considering something like "only post if you are from the Middle East or if you have unique experience or formal study regarding the region" or whatever. It'd be really nice to have kind of a mini-Wiki of amassed information and discussion from people who did more than read the Wikipedia page.

this sounds pretty annoying actually, and more that you just want to dismiss a view point that you don't like

• Options
    My Mum really liked my computer chair when she was helping me move house. I wonder if I should get her one for her birthday...

• Options

this sounds pretty annoying actually, and more that you just want to dismiss a view point that you don't like

I think it makes sense. The internet has a tendency to have a lot of Wikipedia educated "experts" who don't know any more about a given situation then what they read on Wikipedia.

Actual experience and/or actual study of the situation in question is much more valuable than a wikipedia entry.

Steam
  • Options
    My Mum really liked my computer chair when she was helping me move house. I wonder if I should get her one for her birthday...

Yes.

Steam
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello guys! Aldo is on the way home. He was a very nice guest.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:

Yes.

Okay, let's look at the "Steelcase Please" and oh my it's like £200...

Maybe I could get my siblings to help me out here.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:

Yes.

FOR A CHAIR?!?!?!

1 CHAIR?!?!?!

Not like a full set, but just 1 chair?! Preposterous!

Steam
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:

Yes.

FOR A CHAIR?!?!?!

1 CHAIR?!?!?!

Not like a full set, but just 1 chair?! Preposterous!

Mine is of a similar bint and I got it second hand for £60.

It's a chair designed for offices and is usually bought in bulk.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

I am not referring to a specific view point; I reject many positions that are characterized as pro-Israel and many that are characterized as anti-Israel. However, the nature of the topic is such that any attempt at discussion of worthy opinions- opinions merited by renowned economists and historians, human rights leaders and military figures, established journalists and those with first hand anecdotal experience, etc- is often obscured by all of the nonsense that comes with something so polarizing. It's a big enough problem that I receive countless requests, questions, and miscellaneous thoughts from people who are interested in the topic but are aware of the divergence and the speciousness of any loosely moderated, unverifiable narrative.

Believe it or not, I'm not at all interested in having a circle jerk where I only deem views similar to mine as 'smart enough'. I just think there is some promise to the idea of offering constraints, so people yearning for knowledge don't need to spend their time (and apply their admitted ignorance) filtering out shit like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion or nonsense like 'I heard from a friend who was over there that Palestinians rape Jewish schoolchildren en masse'.

I understand if some people are interested in a more open and less restrictive discourse. That's fine. I participate in those all the time. It's just an idea, for people who don't want to waste time. *shrug*

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Nedroid is the best, therefore this is the best [chat]

sig.gif
  • Options
    @chu

Sigma SW9VE w/ 3 16rd mags, green laser sight, case, 100rds of FMJ, 50rds of JHP, and an Uplula for $350.

Good deal?

Steam
  • Options
    Puberty all up ins in Gunnerkrigg.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    @chu

Sigma SW9VE w/ 3 16rd mags, green laser sight, case, 100rds of FMJ, 50rds of JHP, and an Uplula for $350.

Good deal?

How many rounds through it?

Acknowledging that the laser sight is probably garbage for that price, it sounds pretty good. Even at bottom shelf prices the freebies are worth probably a good $100, so unless the pistol's beat to shit it sounds like a fine deal if you like the platform.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    @chu

Good deal?

How many rounds through it?

Acknowledging that the laser sight is probably garbage for that price, it sounds pretty good. Even at bottom shelf prices the freebies are worth probably a good $100, so unless the pistol's beat to shit it sounds like a fine deal if you like the platform.

50rds thru it, I know because it's mine that I am thinking of selling. Just wanted to bounce a price of you to get your opinion. :D

Steam
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well, part of my face is swolen because I broke up a fight in order to protect somebody from one of my best friends.

Great.

This discussion has been closed.