As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best way to buy a domain?

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Greetings,

I'm on the hunt for a specific domain name that is currently being owned by NAMedia:
NAmedia is one of the largest and oldest domain name acquisition and management companies on the Web. We have been operating domain names for paid-search and development, nearly as long as the modern Internet.

They have a form I can fill out to express my interest in a specific domain name. How legitimate is that? Another option, I guess, would be to go through a registrar like Godaddy.com, which charges 69.99 plus a 10 % commission to negotiate with the people who own the domain.

What is the smartest way to go about securing that domain? Are there any other options I should be considering?

Toldo on

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    If they own the domain, really the only way to purchase it is to go through them directly. If you go through godaddy you're on the hook for $70 + 10% of whatever you agree to pay for it.

It sounds like you're looking at one owned by a domain squatter, to which i wish you good luck purchasing it for a reasonable price.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    If you want the lowest price possible, and Godaddy makes more money as the price goes up, it seems unlikely that you will get a good deal asking them to negotiate for you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Do you own a copyright or trademark that you're looking to reclaim from a squatter looking to exploit your intellectual property? You will probably be able to contest their ownership.

If you just want a cool sounding domain name, good luck.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Do you own a copyright or trademark that you're looking to reclaim from a squatter looking to exploit your intellectual property? You will probably be able to contest their ownership.

If you just want a cool sounding domain name, good luck.

What bowen said. There's protections in place if the squatter is taking something you can make a legitimate claim to. If it's just a name you'd like to get that someone beat you to, you basically have to pay them whatever they want.

What is this I don't even.