As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinner date, and I'm cooking! Steak+?+Chianti?

Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
OP revamp!

I'm cooking for a woman I've been seeing, and this is the first time I've done so for her so I'd like to make it nice. I'm going to do a steak sous vide (mmmm) but I have no idea what kind of sides to do. I'm also not too much of a vinophile, but I know I prefer a dry less sweet wine and that I might be after a Chianti. Can anyone recommend a bottle, maybe less than $15?

Skoal Cat on

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest Thai, bit unusual but quite easy to do. Starters are easy as you can usually get filo or coconut prawns from most supermarkets and it's a case of just chucking them in the oven for 10 mins or so.

As for the curry, it's a stir fry (chicken breast/fish, few prawns, then whatever veg you like from the more exotic to peppers and mushrooms. Sweet potato also goes quite well if things are tasting too salty or spicy) with coconut milk and curry paste (I'd reckonmend Red, as Green can be more variable if you're just picking it up). Popadom or Prawn crackers on the side, and if you want to show off mix in some raisins, cucumber and maybe goji berries into the rice and mix before serving.

Looks great, requires little attention or accurate timing (so you get more time to chat, or can talk whilst cooking - is the chicken cooked? then add paste and mushrooms, then add coconut milk once mushrooms are almost done then just let it come to the boil and add veg +5/10 mins) but has a few unusual ingredients that make it look like you really can cook, plus is unusual and involves sharing if you go the poppadom or prawn crackers route.

Works well with red or white wine as well (white would be the preference though), or lager.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    http://spaceghetto.org/images/1305837538.jpg

If she likes it. Marry her.

• Options
    :0&

• Options
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    :0&

I don't know what that is. But I assume it's an emoticon expressing pure joy and delight.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Its supposed to be a green and sick emoticon chosen in the new handy dandy drop down menu, but for some reason its not working. Argh.
    :-(

edit: oh sure, that one works
    :-S

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That looks so disgusting it has to be awesome.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote:
    That looks so disgusting it has to be awesome.

I haven't gotten around to trying to make it yet, but it's definitely happening.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    wine wise - go to a good wine store in the area and tell them what you're making, they should have a good reco. If they don't, move on and find another wine place. Mine has never steered me wrong.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I recommend a Virginian Cab Franc if you can get one, amazing with steaks for their "tobacco" flavors, or an Argentinian Malbec (not to be confused with anything French, as the French don't use the Malbec for much other than complimenting Bordeaux blends). Both stand up quite well with strong meats like steak, and neither are particularly sweet.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Seconding the Malbec, or if you can find a Chilean Carmenere that

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Argentinian Malbecs are also one of the "up and coming" wines if you want to seem hip to that sort of thing.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    The classic match to a good steak is Cabernet Sauvignon, or one of the drier Bordeaux (which are usually mostly Cabernet Sauvignon, with the possibility of additional Merlot and/or Cabernet Franc.

Chianti is also a good idea, or anything made from Sangiovese (the main grape used for Chianti).

It shouldn't be very hard to find a good Cabernet Sauvignon, as practically all the main wine-producing countries grow it (though in Europe, it's rarer outside of France) from Australia and New Zealand, to Chile, to California. It's one of the hardier grape varieties, so it's easier to grow than many other grape varieties.

Since I don't have a particular wine to recommend, I'd just say go to a good, well-stocked wine store, look at all the Cabernet Sauvignon-based wines you find, and pick one in the middle of the price range for a particular region. That way, you avoid the cheaper ones (which are unlikely to be dry enough, or else they won't be aged enough) and you avoid the costlier ones (which may or may not be better -- and if you're not a connoisseur, you might not notice the difference in the higher end of the spectrum, anyway.

Now, if you're wondering about what kind of side dish to serve with the steak, you can go simple with steamed vegetables and perhaps a salad (the classic would be a Caesar's salad, otherwise, you could try just a simple salad with balsamic vinaigrette). If you really need some kind of starchy side-dish, you can go for the classic mashed potatoes, which I would serve with some kind of peppercorn gravy (just get an instant gravy packet from the grocery store -- and to give it an authentic flavor, you can always mix in some of the juices from the meat after it's cooked.) Otherwise, rice, couscous, or quinoa would probably be nice.

Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I like the Da Vinci chianti. I find it at my local wine store.