As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sunburn, and the return

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So last weekend the clouds finally parted and I hit the lake to soak up some sun and fun. I did sunscreen, but it's been a while so I forgot a couple spots. As such I got a minor sunburn on those areas (ow not the face!). It's starting to clear up now, with very little peeling. The areas I did cover up with sunscreen were of course fine.

I'm going to do it all over again. Going to the lake that is. So my question is...will I be ok as long as I sunscreen everywhere? Or should I be wary of the spots where I got burned? Perhaps wear a light shirt?

Oh and the sunscreen we were using was some spray on stuff with an SPF of 50 or 60. And this happened last Sunday and I'll be back out the Saturday.

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Definitely get sunscreen everywhere, not just the spots where you got burned or anything like that. Definitely doesn't hurt to wear a light shirt.

Advice on the spray sunscreen. It's great, but be sure to rub it in. (not sure if you've done that, saying this just in case) I've seen many people just spray and then be content to move on, this results in a splotchy, uneven application. Be sure to spray and then rub so as to cover everywhere.

Probably the most important thing is to re-apply during the day, especially if you get in water and/or sweat a lot. This is what gets a lot of people burned. I'd reapply every few hours depending on the activity and be sure to always apply and give it time to dry before hopping in the water or something.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    You should be *sure* to get the spots that were already burnt, simply to make sure you don't get REALLY burned there this weekend. But you should also try to get sunscreen everywhere. And as ShimSham says, make sure you actually rub around the sunscreen -- the spray is simply the method for getting it out of the bottle -- and re-apply after a number of hours, like 3 or 4.

Brief note about SPF -- there's a lot of controversy above 30, but the biggest thing to remember is that people often don't get an even coverage of sunscreen, so you can use SPF 50 but have spots where you effectively have SPF 10. Similarly, due to how the chemicals in sunscreen work, often the higher SPFs will last longer, since the chemicals react with sunlight and break down (rather than allowing your skin to break down). But you'll be fine with SPF 50-60.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Are you looking to tan specifically? If you're not and you're out on the water, considering getting a sun guard. they are SPF rated and most importanly, can't wash off.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Key note: sunscreen doesn't last all day. Doubly so if you're going in water.

So, reapply as often as possible (absolute max should be about every two hours if you're in the sun, and if you're in the US this weekend is going to have a low UV index, meaning you'll burn faster).

Pariel on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I'm glad I can go out. I was rubbing in the sunscreen, and applying every four hours as per the directions on the bottle. I'll shorten that up a little, and make sure to get everywhere including my face and ears.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    If you sweat a lot or hop into some water somewhere, dry off and reapply. Waterproof sunscreen isn't actually waterproof, just as all day sunscreen isn't good for all day protection. There is very little truth required in sun screen marketing unfortunately.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Also, wear a hat and consider some lip balm with sunscreen in it. Sunburnt lips are not fun.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i second the hat and lip balm, especially if your hair is short or thin. Scalp burns might be the worst thing ever.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Third the hat - once burnt my hair parting - agony. Piz Buin do a 10 hour sun cream. It works. I burn in my back garden - north UK, but used this in Cuba last year and in Turkey a couple of weeks ago - 34*, sunny all day, and i didn't burn. Put it on 30 minutes before you go outside, top up if you swim. Its really good.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."