As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

what does "$X.XX/count" mean on amazon.com?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Haven't ever come across this before, I'm not sure I understand what they mean when the price is listed this way. It's also proving difficult to Google.

Deusfaux on

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    What is the item in question which has its price listed this way? I would imagine its just an esoteric way of saying "$X.XX each" or "$X.XX per lot/package/batch/bunch/whatever."

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    electric toothbrush. at a fairly large discounted price. perhaps it means based on the number they have left, that's the price?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's usually when there's more than one per box. Like this Starbucks Via, there's 50 packages, at $.58 per pack, $28 or so for 50.

So you may be getting multiple brushes.

MichaelLC on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    The price is based on the quantity you buy rather than a set amount per item. Companies like oriental trading use this method to encourage people to buy in bulk.

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    This is Amazon's way of doing the same price calculations as grocery stores do for food items. They're breaking down the price for you so you know how much you're paying. Typically it's "$19.08 for Pack of 18 ($1.06/packet)" or similar, so you don't have to do the math yourself.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    well those explanation would have been obvious to me if it wasn't the same price both inside and outside of the bracket in the cases I was looking at.

ie. $120.00 ($120.00/Count)

which is not so self explanatory

• Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    Just for yucks I called amazon customer service. The service rep seemed to think that "count" was redundant, in that it just meant $x.xx per item you want to buy. So that ($120 / count) for the tooth brush means you pay $120 bucks for one and 240 for two, 360 for three, etc.

Yeah, didn't make any sense to me, either.

"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_