As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAG] The First Annual CF Pokemon Tournament!

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Weedle is the best. Just not in this circumstance.

Edit: What about weedle's intimidation, did you count Weedle as with defense for that Kime? Or does it not counct since he didn't have a defense to begin with?

Edit: Yes, it looks like you did. Carry on.

piL on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    "Buh...buh.....you.....!" Marion stammers, "Weedle, leave 'im a parting present, poison sting!"

The Weedle charges through the flames, goring the Charmander before itself collapsing from the burns.

"Nice......try...." Marion lets out a deep breath, sinking to his knees with exhaustion as he returns Weedle.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    Impressive stuff!

Wildcard info to follow a bit later, got a busy day.

• Options
    The Second Chance Wildcard Match will be zandracon vs...

Matev!

Mystery Box Match
    At any time either trainer may choose not to throw down one of their own pokemon but take the hidden pokemon in the mystery box! When they do this the trainer must publicly state which of their currently balled pokemon is being replaced, which is then removed from the battle. The pokemon that is replaced cannot have any stress or poison tokens. The only throwdown you cannot do this on is the first throw at the start of the match and once the box has been taken it's gone! When the box is opened the mystery pokemon cannot be recalled and fights until it is knocked out.

PM your opening pokemon to me and I'll get this started!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ooooo, a mystery Pokemon. One of you better pick it!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    both of you, throw down the mystery pokemon!

• Options
    karp karp

• Options
    The box! The box!

• Options
    I have zand's pm so matev can throw down in here. Zand takes first turn.

• Options
    "A chance to redeem myself...." Marion thinks to himself as he stares down his opponent, "I ain't gonna waste this." He tenses, then pulls a pokeball off his belt.

"Alright Nidoran, let's do this!" The pink spike covered monster leaps out of the ball, baring it's sharp teeth.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    Hehehehehe. Let's give them all an electrifying battle, Magnemite! How about we give them something to be shocked about~
    Thundershock!: 1d6+2 5

• Options
    (1d6+2 with no drawbacks? That seems a bit much..... 4 defense with Steely also makes that thing invincible to anything but super attacks if you don't have a fire type on hand. not to mention immunity poison. Seriously, the more I read about that thing that's just wrong....)

Nidoran twitches and smokes as the shock wracks it's body. Marion snarls.

"Fine, you wanna play rough!? Psycho Fang Nidoran!" The Nidoran pounces on the Magnemite, eyes blazing with fury.
    High Risk Super Attack!

1d6=5
    1d6=6 Excellent 7 Stress for Magnemite and 1 for Mr. Science. No tank for you!

1d6=2, 1d6=2 And Nidoran avoids damaging itself with recoil 3/5 Stress

The Nidoran is a frenzied blur of motion, seeming to kick up a cloud of dust around it and Magnemite. It finally slows and stops, panting, standing triumphantly atop the unconscious Magnemite
    1d6=1 1 Stress for Marion

"Got anything tougher?" He asks, taking a deep breath to calm his jitters.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Wow, I'm impressed. I thought Magnemite was gonna take you down.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Huh, magnemite may need looking at but, as you've just proven, if you can crack him he goes down in one or two hits. All pokemon will be getting an overhaul at the end of the game anyhow, but he's definitely been noted.

• Options
    Matev wrote:
    ...4 defense with Steely also makes that thing invincible to anything but super attacks if you don't have a fire type on hand...

:whistle: :whistle:

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm just burning up here~ Let's go Charmander! Let's see how much of a fight you've got in you~
    Ember: 1d6 2
    Oh, now that's just got me even more fired up!

• Options
    This match is going to take a long time, isn't it?

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm driving for much of today, but if this match does drag on I'll start one of the semi finals ay the same time.

• Options
    Sorry, Bi-weekly D&D tonight, so I was doing that.

Marion shrugs as his Nidoran isn't fazed by the fire.

"Nice try. My turn. Nidoran, Poison sting attack!" Marion commands his pokemon, which charges the Charmander, horn glistening.
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/47604 Booya, 5, dealing 3 damage to the Charmander and giving him a poison token.

The Nidoran gashes the Charmander's midsection, glaring at it. Marion smirks.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    "Weeeeelll... Let's do that again Charmander, break his defense~"
    Ember: 1d6 2 + Break Defense: 1d6 3 = 5
    Stress: 1d6 6
    "Whew. I think I'll lie here for a while then."

"Oh yes, nice job~"

Zandracon on
  • Options
    Charmander takes a stress from the poison token at the the end of it's turn

"Heh, time finish that thing off. Take him down Squirtle!" Marion hucks the Pokeball, the blue turtle skidding out of it. It stares down the Charmander.

"You know what do, bubble the lizard." Marion commands.
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/47611 6 It's Super Effective, for realsies.

Squirtle's bubbles fire from it's mouth like bullets from a gun, impacting Charmander and sending it sprawling across the arena.

"Your move." Marion quirks an amused eyebrow.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    "Go Klink. Do your thingy. That zappy thing."
    Discharge: 1d6 3 2
    whoops, forgot the -1
    Build charge adds 1 to Klink's defenses and attacks! Mr. Science's Stress fix reduces his stress to 6.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    I thought the pokemon were limited to the original 150? Huh, oh well, Klink seems cool

Steam profile
  • Options
    "Weird little thing." Marion cocks his head at the gear contraption pokemon thing, "Ah well, doesn't matter, got nothing to lose. Squirtle, take that thing down with a Bubble Overload!" The Squirtle heaves in a deep breath.....
    Bubble Overload (2d6=4) Piss. Once more citing Steel-types might need some looking at...

2d6=4 1 Stress Recoil, Squirtle's at 2/8 stress

Squirtle spews bubbles at the Klink, which seems to weather the attack without any effect, whirring without end. Squirtle pants for breath.
    Stress (1d6=5) Nice, overstressed

Marion's confident smirk falters.

"C'mon! We had THIS!" He screams at his pokemon, who gives him a "what did you expect?" shrug.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    One or two people asked nicely for exceptions, so I allowed one or two. Just didn't want to be starting up three new pokemon for each player.

• Options
    Am I being blind? I don't know what "Overload" is...

Steam profile
  • Options
    I asunder matev was using break defence but please make sure you state the type of super attack you're using.

Regarding the steely power, I don't think rolling a 4 on 2d6 resulting in a failure is all that bad...

• Options
    Klink does seem strong, but that was a bad roll haha. Poor Squirtle, failing a bubbles

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Actually, it was a High-risk attack, hence the recoil on Squirtle.

I guess you're right, a 4 might do a cursory amount of damage, but considering the Klink's supposed to be a glass cannon....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Rest assured the issue we're seeing with some pokemon being a little too hard to crack are being addressed in the update I'm working on. Will probably not roll it out until after the tournament, though, in case people feel the changes hurt their team too much. Some significant changes planned.

Also, looking back, my phone's self correction is really making me look like a moron in this thread.

• Options
    When you're doing changes, just remember: my Pokemon can only become stronger

Steam profile
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I just thought I'd let you know I read this before going to bed and I had a dream I was training pokemon last night. I hope you're happy.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Charmander will no longer have defence against any attacks.

• Options
    NOooooo not my Charmanderrr!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Because this last match of the first round is running a little slow I'll start one of the semi finals shortly. Stay tuned.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Semi Final One - Ghostman (Egos) vs Everett Tehm (piL)

Special Rule
    Deathfall Platform Match: The match takes place on raised platforms varying from a few feet high to those towering in the distance. At the start of their turn a Trainer can announce that they are going to launch an attack from a high platform, which causes the Pokemon a point of Stress but adds 2 to their next attack. If an attack launched from a high platform has an unmodified d6 roll of 1 the Pokemon plummets to the ground after completing the attack, taking an additional d6 points of Stress after the attack is resolved as normal.

PM me your opening Pokemon and we can begin.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Clarification Requested: As written, I would take it that, if an unmodified 1 on the d6 roll would be high enough to deal stress, it still would, but the attacking pokemon will still be injured by 1d6 in the attack. Is this correct?

piL on
  • Options
    piL: A good question! Yes, you would still cause the Stress but take Stress yourself afterwards. Will try to clear up the wording.

And Egos, you may throw down when ready, as I have piL's PM.

• Options
    Problem, guys?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Didn't see this, I figured Zand's match was still going on and nothing new had happened. I'll have something new/up later today.