As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I might argue that it's because she's quite aggressive and 'hot headed' which tends to relate more to fire bending. Even though she's a water bender by birth, water bending has always seemed to me as though it's the second most spiritual type of bending. I'm having trouble explaining why, mainly because of how fluid the style is, and is very similiar (if not based on) tai chi. Because she's likes to get her hands dirty instead of meditating, it makes sense that even though she's a has no difficulty bending water, and is from the water tribe, she'd still gravitate towards the elements she has more in common with. She bends earth quite a bit, too. But since she's the avatar it's hard to tell how much she bends certain elements over others.

Question to maybe help my point. After air, what was Aangs second most used element - when he used them, was it water?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    This was fantastic! Some of the characters seemed a bit thin like the bender brothers and kithara even but overall I was thoroughly impressed. I thought how the victor of the bending sport was determined was a but arbitrary but the sport itself was perfect. Fully realized and totally awesome. Metal bending hq was totally awesome, nice touch that only metal benders would be able to get around in it

How is
    The sport arbitrary? The rules are very clear and laid out.

I wasn't clear on how the winner was determined. seemed like a team won rounds 1 + 2 and then the other team won the whole match by winning the 3rd round and getting both lanterns to light up

everything else about the sport was fully realized and awesome, that one little bit tripped me up

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm hoping that she's going to be reinforcements against Amon, and completely wreck his shit with very little effort.

From what I've heard, the challenges Korra will face won't all be solved by just by hucking random elements at it.
    Morblitz wrote: »
    I might argue that it's because she's quite aggressive and 'hot headed' which tends to relate more to fire bending. Even though she's a water bender by birth, water bending has always seemed to me as though it's the second most spiritual type of bending. I'm having trouble explaining why, mainly because of how fluid the style is, and is very similiar (if not based on) tai chi. Because she's likes to get her hands dirty instead of meditating, it makes sense that even though she's a has no difficulty bending water, and is from the water tribe, she'd still gravitate towards the elements she has more in common with. She bends earth quite a bit, too. But since she's the avatar it's hard to tell how much she bends certain elements over others.

Question to maybe help my point. After air, what was Aangs second most used element - when he used them, was it water?

Water yeah, but then again that's the second element he learned so he had more time to use it.

Water's certainly fluid, but it didn't seem to have the same strong spiritual ties as air. After all, that Triad guy could use it, and he doesn't seem like the spiritual type.

Then again, every element seems to have a spiritual side to it... think of Zuko re-learning how to bend fire. Though the impression I get is that air is the most spiritual.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    from the looks of the scene from the next the equalists have some nasty tech up their sleeves. and i remember reading they employ
    chi blocking

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    This was fantastic! Some of the characters seemed a bit thin like the bender brothers and kithara even but overall I was thoroughly impressed. I thought how the victor of the bending sport was determined was a but arbitrary but the sport itself was perfect. Fully realized and totally awesome. Metal bending hq was totally awesome, nice touch that only metal benders would be able to get around in it

How is
    The sport arbitrary? The rules are very clear and laid out.

I wasn't clear on how the winner was determined. seemed like a team won rounds 1 + 2 and then the other team won the whole match by winning the 3rd round and getting both lanterns to light up

everything else about the sport was fully realized and awesome, that one little bit tripped me up

They don't really spell out how the victory conditions work in the first two episodes, but there is a video out there about the actual rules that does a decent job of explaining things. Basically, if at any point you knock the entire other team off the platform, you win immediately. That is why they played the third round at all. Think of it like a boxer getting a KO. You can lose every round on the judges scorecard, but if you knock your opponent out before the end of the fight, you win.

steam_sig.png
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    So.

Did anyone else notice that Amon
    has plans for a fucking mech?

I demand a screen capture.

Didn't someone post the written rules to pro-bending in this thread a while back?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

It was certainly water but he also had far less time mastering any of the other elements.

Also yes it's very much based on tai chi.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    So.

a giant robot doesn't seem like it'd be very effective against people who can manipulate metal

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That could go for basically any weapon; metalbenders might be able to stop bullets like Neo, earthbenders could stop stone bullets/arrows, and obviously flamethrowers are gonna be useless against firebenders.

Buuut. Thinking about it; have we ever seen a metalbender do it without physical contact? I thought it had much stricter 'rules' due to it being such a specialty; need to touch to find all the little grains of dirt within the metal.

Oh brilliant
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cade wrote: »
    Want to know more about pro bending? Here are the rules:
    dbgz2a.jpg
    5ahyq8.jpg
    t9bg3a.jpg

Apparently the Fire Ferrets won due to a knockout (stated in the Rules of Play, third picture). Rather meh in my opinion, at least save it for later on in the series.

Karoz on
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    It is a chi-blocking mech.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm hoping that she's going to be reinforcements against Amon, and completely wreck his shit with very little effort.

From what I've heard, the challenges Korra will face won't all be solved by just by hucking random elements at it.

Water yeah, but then again that's the second element he learned so he had more time to use it.

Water's certainly fluid, but it didn't seem to have the same strong spiritual ties as air. After all, that Triad guy could use it, and he doesn't seem like the spiritual type.

Then again, every element seems to have a spiritual side to it... think of Zuko re-learning how to bend fire. Though the impression I get is that air is the most spiritual.

I think you're conflating 'spiritual' with 'flexible' and that's not correct. It's just as correct to say that firebending is spiritual - but it takes a different sort of outlook. I don't think her firebending is all that mature, tbh - it comes naturally because she's got the temperment for it, but I think lightning would stump her.

Azula was a ridiculously powerful firebender, she didn't strike me as the spiritual meditating type either. Seems like the kind of thing that you can get good at with practice, even totally ignoring the spiritual side of things. Or there's always the possibility that some people just have a genetic predisposition to rad bending.

Oh brilliant
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Azula was a ridiculously powerful firebender, she didn't strike me as the spiritual meditating type either. Seems like the kind of thing that you can get good at with practice, even totally ignoring the spiritual side of things. Or there's always the possibility that some people just have a genetic predisposition to rad bending.

Iroh made a comment that Lightning Bending required precision and a kind of cold (by fire nation standards) attitude. Azula being a literally insane perfectionist is why she was well suited to it but Zuko wasn't.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Another thing to consider: there never appeared to be any "casual" airbenders. Everyone who airbended (airbent?) was pretty much a monk who lived, studied and meditated at the temples. They didn't really have any big territory, just the air temples.

The new show seems to be restoring that status quo -- there don't seem to be any airbenders outside of the Republic City temple island, and the culture doesn't seem to have incorporated airbending much at all (no air element in Pro Bending, for instance). Granted, airbenders are still recovering from the Fire Nation's scourge, but still.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Hopefully we see some air benders who aren't monks.

Another thing to consider: there never appeared to be any "casual" airbenders. Everyone who airbended (airbent?) was pretty much a monk who lived, studied and meditated at the temples. They didn't really have any big territory, just the air temples.

The new show seems to be restoring that status quo -- there don't seem to be any airbenders outside of the Republic City temple island, and the culture doesn't seem to have incorporated airbending much at all (no air element in Pro Bending, for instance). Granted, airbenders are still recovering from the Fire Nation's scourge, but still.

I could be wrong about this, but I think we've already seen all the living airbenders: Korra's teacher and his three kids.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

We only saw like half a dozen airbenders, and most of them were children. The fact that they were monks was a result of how their nomadism worked, not their airbending.

Fencingsax on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hopefully we see some air benders who aren't monks.

I'm not sure how that would be possible, since there are only four airbenders currently alive.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Maybe there was a village hidden somewhere or something. It's a really simple retcon.

I don't see why Tenzin and his children are required to be the only airbenders alive. I mean, the original airbenders supposedly learned straight from the sky bison, right? So I don't see why a suitably spiritual person couldn't become an airbender under the tutelage of Tenzin or (formerly) Aang. If they have to wait on Tenzin's offspring to proliferate the airbenders, there will be very few airbenders for a very long time.

steam_sig.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    If any airbender culture survived outside of Aang we would assume that Tenzin wouldn't be the only airbending master in the world. Plus the name of the first series was The Last Airbender so I think what you see if what you get.

chrisnl wrote: »
    I don't see why Tenzin and his children are required to be the only airbenders alive. I mean, the original airbenders supposedly learned straight from the sky bison, right? So I don't see why a suitably spiritual person couldn't become an airbender under the tutelage of Tenzin or (formerly) Aang. If they have to wait on Tenzin's offspring to proliferate the airbenders, there will be very few airbenders for a very long time.

It's strongly implied. For example: in the argument between Korra and Tenzin at the bending match, she doesn't threaten to go find another teacher.
    It's only been one generation, after all. No matter how good Tenzin is, he can't have trained more than a handful of students in airbending - if any at all.

edited April 2012
    Oh I'm not saying that Tenzin is one of many masters, especially since Korra specifically states that he is the only airbending master in the world. I don't see any reason why a sufficiently airbenderish person could not learn to be an airbender, though. Assuming there is any truth to the lore of how airbending came about, it seems like it should be something a person could be taught, instead of having to be born into it.

-edit- Also I would speculate that Aang was too busy as the Avatar to really train up a bunch of students, so he focused on his son in order to enable him to lead the revival of airbending.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
    Actually, if you look really quick at the scene in the dining hall in the second episode, you can see about a dozen airbenders in the background. So airbending somehow survived outside of Aang's bloodline.

Odd that after 80 or so years Tenzin's the only master... and that no other airbenders popped up in the 100 years of Aang's disappearance. Maybe with airbenders gone, no one was left to recognize the signs of airbending? Or that families frantically tried to keep latent airbending quiet and unused, so their kids wouldn't be killed?

edited April 2012
    Double post.

cloudeagle on
    edited April 2012
    Actually, if you look really quick at the scene in the dining hall in the second episode, you can see about a dozen airbenders in the background. So airbending somehow survived outside of Aang's bloodline.

Odd that after 80 or so years Tenzin's the only master... and that no other airbenders popped up in the 100 years of Aang's disappearance. Maybe with airbenders gone, no one was left to recognize the signs of airbending? Or that families frantically tried to keep latent airbending quiet and unused, so their kids wouldn't be killed?

Maybe they did, but they'd keep quiet about it. If it's common knowledge that airbenders were massacred, you wouldn't go bragging about your newfound airbending, would ya? :P (EDIT; blurp, missed the second part of your post. Yep, concurred. ;D)

Tenzin could definitely still be the only master; airbending was a dead culture. Where before there might be schools and plenty of teachers to train up potential airbenders, now there's one guy. He'll probably be able to train up a couple to become masters, they'll train a few more and it'll go from there.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    Tenzin could definitely still be the only master; airbending was a dead culture. Where before there might be schools and plenty of teachers to train up potential airbenders, now there's one guy. He'll probably be able to train up a couple to become masters, they'll train a few more and it'll go from there.

I kinda figured Aang himself would do a lot of that... then again, he might have been a little busy with all the other stuff. Establishing a city, representing balance in the world and all that.

I get the feeling we might find out what he's been up to firsthand, considering most of an entire episode of the last series was devoted to the avatar before Aang.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So.

tumblr_m1m3rh5z0B1qb59nf.png

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com

Those guys are not airbenders, they are just people who are attracted to the airbender way of life.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Air_Acolytes

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I agree that it is heavily implied that Tenzin and his kids are the only airbenders. They may do a story where they find some new monks re-discovering airbending, but right now they want us to think airbending is pretty much dead.

Man. 80 years. One master. Aang really shirked his responsibilities as the progenitor of a race.

EDIT: Dat mech. It's got tubes coming out of its back unit and serving its arm claw things. That could be generic robo-hydrolic-fluid-steampunk-whatever, OR it could be a key component of its design (like the sidekick with the cattle prods). I'm thinking lightning guns.

Aurich on
    Hey, he had three kids. It's not his fault only one of them was an airbender.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Aang should have had thousands of children from hundreds of women, it was his responsibility!

I assume his siblings are benders too. Tenzin's just the only master.

Official word is that Tenzin is the only airbender in his family.

tumblr_m1l71mmkiS1qzf7cqo1_500.jpg

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Kya and Bumi are both Amon at different times.

There.

Mystery solved.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I assume his siblings are benders too. Tenzin's just the only master.

One is a water bender, and one is a non-bender. Odd that one of the kids got left out of the bending, but thats the story we led to believe so far.

Huh. Weird.

This discussion has been closed.