As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about HIV/Diseases and a wierd story

VisserianVisserian Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Have a question. Now I know its probably nothing but its been bugging me all day and I just want to make sure its nothing.

Anyway, here's the story. I was walking home today from work in the soaking rain. Along the way I ran into this guy who was crying in the rain. So for some reason I decided to ask him whats wrong. He tells me his story, about how he is recently homeless and tried to kill himself after his mother passed away. At this point, I notice that his right arm is covered in one of those large cotton squares and tape that you get in the hospital and see some semi-fresh (still red but I think closed) wounds underneath it.

So I ended up talking to him, and find out he hasn't eaten in awhile. So walk him across the street to a nearby chinese restaurant and order him some food and give him $10 bucks to help him on his way. At this point he asks me if this was because I wanted to have sex with him since thats how he is getting by. I say no, just doing a good deed. At this point, he starts crying and hugging me and thanking me over and over. At which point I wish him good day and leave to go home.

When I get home I recalled his wounds and how long he hugged me. Considering he definitely prostitutes himself, and his bleeding arm. Am I in danger of any kind of infection? I know it seems silly but I've been thinking about it after I got home and am wondering if I'm worrying over nothing.

Visserian on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    His blood touched your bare skin?
    Well, that's not good. Getting someones blood on you isn't a good idea, but you can't catch anything unless the blood gets into your blood stream. So you're probably in the "can I get pregnant from his pre-cum rubbing on my panties" realm of possibility.

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Do you have any open wounds (however small) and/or did his bloodied arm get really in your eyes/nose/mouth area?

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    The only wounds on me that I know about are a large red/green bruise mark on the right leg (which to this day I have no idea how I got considering how large it is), and a tiny cut on the knuckle of the right hand which is as far as I can tell mostly healed.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    You're totally fine OP, don't worry. If it makes you feel better, immediately wash those clothes and take a shower.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    If in doubt, go get tested. Besides...it can never hurt to know you've been ___________-free since July 2011.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    HIV has an incubation period of approximately three months so you wouldn't know if you had been exposed yet (no viral load). So you can get tested now to give yourself peace of mind for the last (x years) of your life, but you will need to get tested again in three months to give yourself total peace of mind.

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    HIV has an incubation period of approximately three months so you wouldn't know if you had been exposed yet (no viral load). So you can get tested now to give yourself peace of mind for the last (x years) of your life, but you will need to get tested again in three months to give yourself total peace of mind.

The window period on modern NAT testing is only about two weeks.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Unless he was actually bleeding from the wound the chances of infection are practically 0. HIV is not very... hardy outside of the body. I think in optimal conditions it's a few minutes (unless frozen).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Its really unlikely you contracted HIV this way. You can check after 3 months, but the amount of blood transfer required especially through a bandage would have made you call him an ambulance.

Seriously, did 28 days really fuck with us that bad?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Visserian wrote:
    At this point he asks me if this was because I wanted to have sex with him

If you did not do this, or like.. lick him, you are probably fine, unless you are not fine for some other, unrelated reason.

It never hurts to get tested, but this is not something you should lose sleep over. You gave the guy a nice meal; try to let that be take-home here, rather than paranoia over the nonexistent possibility that you got HIV from a hug.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Thanks all for the replies. I'm probably going to get tested in a month or two just for piece of mind, but I tend to be a bit of a worrier. In any event, thanks all. Mods can lock this thread if you will.

This discussion has been closed.