As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cleaning copper pins on a Macbook charger.

ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So out of the blue, my Macbook pro's charger isn't working quite right. It'll charge if it's sort of at the right angle.

It looks like something got spilled on the end that connects to the computer. I have no idea what (or how), but two of the pins in the connector look black while the others are clean looking.

What can I do to clean this without harming any of the components? Toothbrush? Wet toothbrush or Q-tip? I have no idea.

QcGKhPm.jpg
ShimSham on

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Best thing to use would be rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I've heard that using a normal pencil eraser is one of the best ways to clean electronic contacts like that.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Oh yeah, that works nice too. But if it's a MagSafe connector I don't think you can reach inside it.

Echo on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What Echo said. I've used rubbing alcohol and Q-tips to clean thermal grease off pins and contacts when building computers. Since it's safe for the more delicate internal parts, it certainly won't harm external contacts. Definitely pop out your battery and unplug the power adapter before doing any cleaning though. Isopropyl alcohol is a very weak conductor, but it's rare to find really pure isopropyl alcohol unless you're buying cleaning fluid specifically made for computers. Most isopropyl alcohol you get from a drug store will be ~70%, the other 30% of which will be mostly water, and that 30% is a good electrical conductor. You'll be able to see the alcohol (and trace water) rapidly evaporating from the metal contacts, so it's easy to know when it's safe to plug things back in. Unless you're using way too much alcohol, everything should be dry in seconds.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer